What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread: Weapon Enhancement Changes

Comments

• Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2017

The issue was that both Chill and the Bilethorn slow (along with all the other slows in the game) are marked as part of a "RunSpeedPenalty" group. The game won't let you keep stacking things that are part of the same group (which is intentional; that's what the groups are for).

I added a mod onto Chill that does nothing, but counts as a Chill stack. If you are maxed out on RunSpeedPenalty, you can still add +1 "stack of nothing" and make progress on your Chill count (but you won't get the extra slow -- again, that's intended).

Dude! This penalty sounds like it's the cause of Elven Battle enchants removing chill stacks. If that's also fixed, you're going to have a lot of PvP CWs who want to buy you your beverage of choice.

Even in PvE, if this is why chill stacks drop so quickly from certain control immune targets, plenty of car door slamming in the streets tonight.

Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited February 2017

Update: I just checked in a fix that should let a Control Wizard get to 6 Chill Stacks even with a T. Bilethorn.

The issue was that both Chill and the Bilethorn slow (along with all the other slows in the game) are marked as part of a "RunSpeedPenalty" group. The game won't let you keep stacking things that are part of the same group (which is intentional; that's what the groups are for).

I added a mod onto Chill that does nothing, but counts as a Chill stack. If you are maxed out on RunSpeedPenalty, you can still add +1 "stack of nothing" and make progress on your Chill count (but you won't get the extra slow -- again, that's intended).

Hopefully this will solve @thefabricant's problem without making CW's super-powered in some other way. Please let me know if you find any broken things CWs can now do -- it all looked good to me in testing, but there's lots of stuff going on in the Chill system.

Thanks, this is much appreciated. Something I am sure DCs who use the owlbear cub would appreciate, is if you fixed the bug whereby everything except dread, bronzewood and vorp is preventing the owlbear cub from proccing off of chains of blazing light.
    Post edited by thefabricant on
  • Options
    gankdalf#8991 gankdalf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 930 Arc User

Update: I just checked in a fix that should let a Control Wizard get to 6 Chill Stacks even with a T. Bilethorn.

Hopefully this will solve @thefabricant's problem without making CW's super-powered in some other way. Please let me know if you find any broken things CWs can now do -- it all looked good to me in testing, but there's lots of stuff going on in the Chill system.

Can you PLEASE look into chill stacks and ELVEN BATTLE?! It removes them so its not only less control but also ALL OUR DAMAGE. It cripples the whole CW class in PvP..

@rgutscheradev Our whole class is built around chill stacks. One armor destroys us.

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ Gankdalf The Icehole █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

• Options
    gankdalf#8991 gankdalf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 930 Arc User

Yes, these changes do affect Elven Battle.

You'll stack up Chill but you won't get the slow for it (or rather, you'll get the slow very briefly).

I suspect for every PvP CW who wants to buy me a beverage, there will be a non-CW who wants to pour said beverage over my head, but we'll see how it goes. I agree with the basic point of the CWs who say that shutting off a core mechanic like Chill completely is too harsh, but of course if something is brokenly OP on the CWs we'd have to take another look.

Right now, I'm hoping that CWs can do their thing and get their complete damage rotations in, and people with Elven Battle can continue to gain the advantage of "I'm not locked down by all this control!", which is (in my mind) the real purpose of Elven Battle. (I run Elven Battle myself in PvP on my H/R, and I think that is a worthwhile and fair advantage -- "CWs are totally shut down" is not fair!)

Just for the record, I did NOT touch Elven Battle in any way. The only changes are to Chill itself. (Btw, Becky was quite right when she said in the Elven Battle thread that this was essentially the same as what let you stack Chill on control-immune bosses -- that used to be a problem, and someone fixed it the same way I'm fixing Chill now. I'm basically just letting that fix apply to non-bosses as well.)

OMG!! Been waiting a very very long time for this fix. Thx.

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ Gankdalf The Icehole █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

• Options
    romotheoneromotheone Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 729 Arc User
    @rgutscheradev I kinda like you.
  • Options
    vida44vida44 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    @rgutscheradev great work. But this reminds me too much of @amenar .
  • Options
    darthtzarrdarthtzarr Member Posts: 1,003 Arc User
    I just noticed that it looks like the new enchantments aren't working with some of the cleric powers. Divine Glow for example doesn't seem to work at all with the lightning enchant now. Lightning never even shows up in the combat logs.

Signature [WIP] - tyvm John

• Options
    What would be unexpected - at least until someone says they fixed it - would be Divine Glow working with any weapon enchant.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    Has divine glow ever worked with weapon enchants?
  • Options
    lordseth1985lordseth1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 319 Arc User

I just noticed that it looks like the new enchantments aren't working with some of the cleric powers. Divine Glow for example doesn't seem to work at all with the lightning enchant now. Lightning never even shows up in the combat logs.

Many Weps enchants says "with every strike", so IMO it shouldn't work with some powers.
    Avestruz.Q.T.Seduz - Rogue, natural born assassin.
  • Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    @rgutscheradev thanks for what you are doing to fix the broken things in game.

I am asking again that if you have 5 minutes to look at how enchantments do not work with trickater encounters - ¥###smoke bomb###¥ or ¥###path or blades###¥ again. (Only vorpal and dread work with those encounters)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Just going to re-quote this for emphasis. I do hope that said designer is looking at the powers that don't proc weapon enchants at all. (And imo, "with every strike" implies anything that causes damage. Doesn't matter if you're a fighter or a caster.)

There are other parts going on as well (many of you are aware of the various "X doesn't proc Y when it clearly should" bugs we have -- another designer is working on one of those bugs right now as I type this). But big picture, proccing (and especially *how often* one should proc) is something many MMOs have problems with, and I can't say that Neverwinter has figured out the perfect solution. But I want to keep making it better.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    sanpedrocactussanpedrocactus Member Posts: 67 Arc User

In current regular game content Bilethorn works on divine glow. Terror and Holy Avenger i thought worked too, but would have to put them back on to make sure. :smile:
  • Options

In current regular game content Bilethorn works on divine glow. Terror and Holy Avenger i thought worked too, but would have to put them back on to make sure. :smile:
    But with that said i know there are a lot of powers both on my dc and tr that dont proc enchants properly or at all :neutral:
  • Options

Lots of comments about "this power doesn't proc weapon enchants". Which is totally fair, because there are a *lot* of such bugs.

Here's what's going on:
    Up until now, the weapon enhancements looked at the powers they attached to and asked "are you a reasonable power for me to attach to? do you target an enemy?" That's because we don't want you to (for example) heal yourself, and have your Lightning gem go off. The problem is there are all these powers that attack indirectly (remember those invisible entities I mentioned earlier?). Those are the ones that frequently fail.

We're going to do a big fix-up that should address most of these issues together. We're going to let the WEs attach to everything, except things specifically labeled "don't let WEs attach to me". Then we're going to label the self-heals and such.

The end result *should* be that all the WEs proc when they are supposed to. (The actual result may be that 1 or 2 still don't work for some super-weird reason, and some random "buff your friend" power shoots lightning bolts, but that's OK, it will be a small number of cases that we can, I hope, fix pretty easily.) However, this is a big enough change that we won't be able to make it right away. (It's not so much the change itself as the testing.) We're working on it right now and currently have it scheduled for a few weeks after the upcoming module launches. Not a promise, but that's our current plan.

TL;DR:
    * Lots of WEs are failing to proc with certain powers.
    * That's bad.
    * There is an actual plan to fix it, which is currently underway.

On another subject: my plan to acquire more resources has born fruit (thanks to the benevolence of the Mimicking), and the mighty Asterdahl (our most experienced powers designer) will be picking up some of these bugs.

Very nice! Thank you!
  • Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    @rgutscheradev. Thanks again!
    I and many other trs will be pleased to know we can drop bait and switch without it doing damage to us. Also to once again have smoke bomb proc all weapon enchantments is going to be nice! (Works like icy terrain so it won't be complicated)
    Finally to have path of blades proc weapon enchantments other than vorpal and dread will be a god send dream come true!

Thank you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    daniloslvdaniloslv Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited February 2017

You'll stack up Chill but you won't get the slow for it (or rather, you'll get the slow very briefly).

I suspect for every PvP CW who wants to buy me a beverage, there will be a non-CW who wants to pour said beverage over my head, but we'll see how it goes. I agree with the basic point of the CWs who say that shutting off a core mechanic like Chill completely is too harsh, but of course if something is brokenly OP on the CWs we'd have to take another look.

Right now, I'm hoping that CWs can do their thing and get their complete damage rotations in, and people with Elven Battle can continue to gain the advantage of "I'm not locked down by all this control!", which is (in my mind) the real purpose of Elven Battle. (I run Elven Battle myself in PvP on my H/R, and I think that is a worthwhile and fair advantage -- "CWs are totally shut down" is not fair!)

Just for the record, I did NOT touch Elven Battle in any way. The only changes are to Chill itself. (Btw, Becky was quite right when she said in the Elven Battle thread that this was essentially the same as what let you stack Chill on control-immune bosses -- that used to be a problem, and someone fixed it the same way I'm fixing Chill now. I'm basically just letting that fix apply to non-bosses as well.)

As a full control opressor CW, I still keep the opinion that Elven Battle (at pure and transcendent level) is too strong.
    It is an absolute defence against control.

No other mechanic is completely negated in this game like CC vs Elven Battle.

I built my character around CC, and I'm very happy with this build. I can't kill anyone, but I can CC.
    There is a fair trade here. You can gain CC strength, but lose all dps potential.

And a full CC build has a place in PVP when fighting against Healing clerics, or high dps GFs, or tanky Paladins.
    I can pick one of them and keep him CC'd. Killing one those characters is almost impossible and requires a full team on them.
    But when they are CC'd for a long enough time - they are killable by the other members of your team.

But when I face an Elven Battle user I can do nothing. Entangling Force is useless. Freeze is useless. Steal Time is useless. Chill Strike is useless. Icy Rays is useless.

Lets not forget that tenacity also adds to control resistance.

A GF with Elven Battle can kill a full opposing team. And nothing can be done against him.

My Control:
    2100 Control Bonus = 10%
    26 WIS = 16%
    Valinda Set = 15%
    Feated Orb of Imposition = 24%
    Off hand Artifact Class Feature = 5%
    Dragons Grip boon = 10%

That is 80% Control Bonus. A very niche focused build. With a class that is supposed to excel in Control (Control Wizard) with a Feat Tree that is supposed to boost control (Opressor). But all that is completely negated by Elven Battle.

I would consider this to be unbalanced.
    Leliana - Healer DC
    Leliana C.W. - Opressor CW
    Lelian O.P. - Bulwark Paladin
  • Options
    sorce#8115 sorce Member Posts: 1,009 Arc User

Lots of comments about "this power doesn't proc weapon enchants". Which is totally fair, because there are a *lot* of such bugs.

Here's what's going on:
    Up until now, the weapon enhancements looked at the powers they attached to and asked "are you a reasonable power for me to attach to? do you target an enemy?" That's because we don't want you to (for example) heal yourself, and have your Lightning gem go off. The problem is there are all these powers that attack indirectly (remember those invisible entities I mentioned earlier?). Those are the ones that frequently fail.

We're going to do a big fix-up that should address most of these issues together. We're going to let the WEs attach to everything, except things specifically labeled "don't let WEs attach to me". Then we're going to label the self-heals and such.

The end result *should* be that all the WEs proc when they are supposed to. (The actual result may be that 1 or 2 still don't work for some super-weird reason, and some random "buff your friend" power shoots lightning bolts, but that's OK, it will be a small number of cases that we can, I hope, fix pretty easily.) However, this is a big enough change that we won't be able to make it right away. (It's not so much the change itself as the testing.) We're working on it right now and currently have it scheduled for a few weeks after the upcoming module launches. Not a promise, but that's our current plan.

TL;DR:
    * That's bad.

On another subject: my plan to acquire more resources has born fruit (thanks to the benevolence of the Mimicking), and the mighty Asterdahl (our most experienced powers designer) will be picking up some of these bugs.

Let me guess - because divine glow has a healing component to it, this is the reason it currently doesn't proc weapon enchants? No one ever figured out how to have the effect target the mobs and not the player(s)?
  • Options
    kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User

@thefabricant

I think beckylunatic prophesied you owing this man a drink... ;)

va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    marnivalmarnival Member Posts: 1,432 Arc User
    daniloslv said:

As a full control opressor CW, I still keep the opinion that Elven Battle (at pure and transcendent level) is too strong.
    It is an absolute defence against control.

No other mechanic is completely negated in this game like CC vs Elven Battle.

I built my character around CC, and I'm very happy with this build. I can't kill anyone, but I can CC.
    There is a fair trade here. You can gain CC strength, but lose all dps potential.

And a full CC build has a place in PVP when fighting against Healing clerics, or high dps GFs, or tanky Paladins.
    I can pick one of them and keep him CC'd. Killing one those characters is almost impossible and requires a full team on them.
    But when they are CC'd for a long enough time - they are killable by the other members of your team.

But when I face an Elven Battle user I can do nothing. Entangling Force is useless. Freeze is useless. Steal Time is useless. Chill Strike is useless. Icy Rays is useless.

Lets not forget that tenacity also adds to control resistance.

A GF with Elven Battle can kill a full opposing team. And nothing can be done against him.

My Control:
    2100 Control Bonus = 10%
    26 WIS = 16%
    Valinda Set = 15%
    Feated Orb of Imposition = 24%
    Off hand Artifact Class Feature = 5%
    Dragons Grip boon = 10%

That is 80% Control Bonus. A very niche focused build. With a class that is supposed to excel in Control (Control Wizard) with a Feat Tree that is supposed to boost control (Opressor). But all that is completely negated by Elven Battle.

I would consider this to be unbalanced.
    So you want to be able to cc others to death with about only oghma that can help.

Using elven is a trade off exactly the way you do less defence, healing, recovery then negation and no invisibility trick like shadowclad.

There is to much cc in pvp as it is and as long as we do not have any cc-idc immunity being locked down by either full trapper or control cws is not a good idea.

Hell there is already 2 tr chaining smoke and cc in every team as it is the LAST thing we need in pvp is more lock down cc stuff..

And when writing here and santa seem to be around, can you FIX tenebrous enchants that been BROKEN for ages now....
  • Options
    romotheoneromotheone Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 729 Arc User
    @marnival "pls fix its broken" is no help at all. What is broken about it? Go into detail, tell exactly whats missing or what is not working the way it should. Also, you have to keep in mind that they are now focusing on weapon enchants, I don't think it's "santa being around" who grants every wish of yours. Same goes for PvP balancing issues. Please don't let this topic derail.
  • Options
    trgluestickztrgluestickz Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited February 2017

@rgutscheradev

It would be nice if all weapon enchantments worked for trickster rogues encounters "smoke bomb" and "path of blades"

Currently the only weapon enchants that work with those encounters are vorpal and dread.

In the past all enchantments worked with smokebomb.

Thanks for considering this as a viable option.

+1

This would help most TRs, especially considering that many TRs weild ITC in addition to smokebomb. This means that many TRs have setups where only 1 out of 3 of their choice encounters can proc most enchantments. This is especially problematic for feytouched since it has to be proced with an encounter. It would be greatly appriciated by TRs everywhere if Smokebomb was adjusted so that it can proc all weapon enchantments. It's not breaking anything for vorpal or dread to proc with SB and Path of the Blade and those two enchantments are some of the strongest options avalable, so it doesn't make sense for Smokebomb and path of the blades not to trigger other enchantments.

@rgutscheradev
    --
    PVP Rogue,
    --[----- "Your friendly neighborhood spawn of Satan." -----]--
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Main Character: Hurricane Marigolds (Rogue WK & Assassin)
    Ingame Handle: trgluestickz
    Discord Name: Hurricane🌀Marigolds#2563
    Guilds: She Looked LVL 18 & Essence of Aggression
    Alliances: Imperium & Order of the Silent Shroud
    Platform: PC
  • Options
    trgluestickztrgluestickz Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User

Here's what's going on:

TL;DR:
    * That's bad.

Didn't see this post prior to my comment, nice to know there are plans to address this issue.
    --
    PVP Rogue,
    --[----- "Your friendly neighborhood spawn of Satan." -----]--
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Main Character: Hurricane Marigolds (Rogue WK & Assassin)
    Ingame Handle: trgluestickz
    Discord Name: Hurricane🌀Marigolds#2563
    Guilds: She Looked LVL 18 & Essence of Aggression
    Alliances: Imperium & Order of the Silent Shroud
    Platform: PC
  • Options
    btairbornebtairborne Member Posts: 352 Arc User
    Best thread I've ever seen on the forums.
  • Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    +1