What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[PC] Updated System Requirements

Comments

• Options
    hfleethfleet Member Posts: 139 Arc User

Okay all,

For now I can relay that the Dx11 Stability is a priority and the developers are currently actively gathering data and investigating why Dx11 does not work on some computers.

We'll relay more information as plans progress.

I am filled with Christmastime hope and cheer!
    (please be real, fixes would make the holidays special!)
  • Options
    jazzman#2455 jazzman Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    As a Mac user using WINE, I'm sure hoping the dx10 support files will be enough to run the game, or I'm going to be gone. I've tried it in parallels and it slows to a crawl.

Get us a true mac client
  • Options
    samaka#2511 samaka Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    edited December 2016

Okay all,

For now I can relay that the Dx11 Stability is a priority and the developers are currently actively gathering data and investigating why Dx11 does not work on some computers.

We'll relay more information as plans progress.

@ambisinisterr Please check out and pass along the info in this thread in the PC Bugs forum:

http://forum.arcgames.com/neverwinter/discussion/1225449/anyone-else-getting-graphics-problems-lately#latest

I have a post there explaining an issue I have with lighting issues, and most annoyingly an issue with the ground vegetation having a really strange and annoying rapid cycling effect that only exists under DX11.

@samaka#2511
  • Options
    jniebaumjniebaum Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Jusy logged in after awhile and am likely late to the party but I just noticed it said they will be dropping all support for DX9. I'm wondering if they have any plans for those of us who do not have Vidcards that support DX11 in any reliable way.
  • Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    Newegg.com

Microcenter.com

You can buy cards there
    And power supplies if needed.

Watch YouTube to install if you need help.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User

Newegg.com

Microcenter.com

You can buy cards there

And power supplies if needed.

Watch YouTube to install if you need help.

This is something people should research first. It would be pretty awkward to buy a GPU and PSU only to find out that they don't fit in your case and your CPU is going to bottleneck your GPU.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    therealprotextherealprotex Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 526 Arc User
    hfleet said:

I am filled with Christmastime hope and cheer!
    (please be real, fixes would make the holidays special!)

lol, when I first glanced over this post I read "I am filled with Christmastime hope and BEER!" :smiley:

• Options
    cryoghast#1719 cryoghast Member Posts: 2 New User
    So, I guess I'll be forced to quit then, since my video card only supports up to DX10(which isn't even an option). I'm not about to needlessly pay several hundred dollars(being canadian, we pay 2+ times more than americans do for anything - even more so if having to ship something in from the states) for a new video card..All because this one publisher for this one game just up and decided, for no apparent logical reason, to shutdown support for DX9 in favour of DX11, of which for many, the game is virtually unplayable anyways, due to excessive buggery. And we all know how quickly bugs get dealt with here, *coughcoughbuggyUIsincereleaseaboutthreeyearsagocough*.

I have to wonder just how many others, for whatever reason, happen to be stuck on the same sinking boat.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited December 2016
    FYI cards which do not support Dx 11 are just about 7 years old. For a simple comparison new consoles come out every 8 years. It's time for a hardware upgrade at that point. Also, here is a list of DirectX 11 Games. As you get closer to the current date you will notice more and more games which drop Dx9 support and only support Dx11 and newer cards.

Sorry but if you have GPU's which are that old I wouldn't consider it "needless." It is time for an upgrade even if you use the console standard.

For about 150 dollars you can get the lowest Tier current generation GPU (GTX 1050 Ti or Radeon R9 380) which will be about 20% faster than the top tier card of the 2010 and about 120% faster than the entry level card of 2010.

If you want to discuss which computer hardware is worth it or whether or not it will fit in the case you own then feel free to send me a PM.
  • Options
    cryoghast#1719 cryoghast Member Posts: 2 New User
    In the grand scheme of things, you have to admit, that list of DX11 compliant games is somewhat short, and those that ONLY support DX11 are still fewer..Not enough to merit bearing the cost for an immediate upgrade..Unless ofcourse the majority of games one is interested in lie within the DX11 only catagory, but if that were the case, odds are, such a person would already have the machinery to run such games anyway. All that aside though, even if technically speaking, Neverwinter supports DX11..After taking into account the issues many have when attempting to play the game under DX11..Does it really support it currently?

Situations are also a factor. In my own case, which I'd wager may be a common theme, an upgrade to a later GPU would only equate to a bottlenecked GPU and waste of hard-to-earn money. Great, "technically" I can run DX11 games, but unfortunately, in actuality I can't, because now my older CPU is dragging my nice new shiney GPU into the dirt. Which means a new processor is called for, and so on and so on...All this just because Cryptic decided to quit DX9?

If we were talking about a game that had started as DX11 only straight from the get-go, there'd be no feathers to ruffle, no fuss, no loss. Those that didn't have the appropriate machinery to begin with would have simply passed and moved on, but that wasn't the case. Neverwinter started off with DX9 support, and now, as of March 1st next year, it's bear the extra cost to keep up or eff off..<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> on the time and possible money players with older machines may have committed, it's not enough. And by the way, you said $150..Put that in canadian terms, that's 150x2 to 2.5, then add shipping & handling and then tax it all(15% here), unless having to resort to ordering in from across the border, which is often the case, then it's 150x2 to 2.5, then add shipping & handling, then convert currency. /dualfacepalm Again, all this because Cryptic doesn't want to do DX9 anymore?

And comparing PC and console upgrading is honestly too simple a comparison. With a few hundred dollars you can buy a console, which is in itself is a whole gaming system. With the same $, you can't buy a whole gaming PC. Maybe a flimsy non-equivalent laptop at best..And only if you lived in the states. Either way, I'm one of those folks that just ain't got the money to spare anymore. And, as decent a game Neverwinter is, it just ain't worth the needlessly added expense. Especially when all this can be avoided by merely keeping DX9 supported.
  • Options
    n989311n989311 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    For better performance make a step into:
    - x64 GameClient;
    - VulkanAPI;
    - OpenCL/CUDA;
    - Utilize all video card resources (external and internal) at same time;
    - Rebuild network protocol for make it P2P (look on µTP for reduce latency);
  • Options
    edited December 2016

In the grand scheme of things, you have to admit, that list of DX11 compliant games is somewhat short, and those that ONLY support DX11 are still fewer..Not enough to merit bearing the cost for an immediate upgrade..Unless ofcourse the majority of games one is interested in lie within the DX11 only catagory, but if that were the case, odds are, such a person would already have the machinery to run such games anyway. All that aside though, even if technically speaking, Neverwinter supports DX11..After taking into account the issues many have when attempting to play the game under DX11..Does it really support it currently?

Situations are also a factor. In my own case, which I'd wager may be a common theme, an upgrade to a later GPU would only equate to a bottlenecked GPU and waste of hard-to-earn money. Great, "technically" I can run DX11 games, but unfortunately, in actuality I can't, because now my older CPU is dragging my nice new shiney GPU into the dirt. Which means a new processor is called for, and so on and so on...All this just because Cryptic decided to quit DX9?

If we were talking about a game that had started as DX11 only straight from the get-go, there'd be no feathers to ruffle, no fuss, no loss. Those that didn't have the appropriate machinery to begin with would have simply passed and moved on, but that wasn't the case. Neverwinter started off with DX9 support, and now, as of March 1st next year, it's bear the extra cost to keep up or eff off..HAMSTER on the time and possible money players with older machines may have committed, it's not enough. And by the way, you said $150..Put that in canadian terms, that's 150x2 to 2.5, then add shipping & handling and then tax it all(15% here), unless having to resort to ordering in from across the border, which is often the case, then it's 150x2 to 2.5, then add shipping & handling, then convert currency. /dualfacepalm Again, all this because Cryptic doesn't want to do DX9 anymore?

And comparing PC and console upgrading is honestly too simple a comparison. With a few hundred dollars you can buy a console, which is in itself is a whole gaming system. With the same $, you can't buy a whole gaming PC. Maybe a flimsy non-equivalent laptop at best..And only if you lived in the states. Either way, I'm one of those folks that just ain't got the money to spare anymore. And, as decent a game Neverwinter is, it just ain't worth the needlessly added expense. Especially when all this can be avoided by merely keeping DX9 supported.

You can just buy a used GPU for $50 (USD) and ignore the bottleneck from your potato CPU. Bottlenecks only matter if you want the extra performance out of your GPU and if you were fine with your terrible performance before the upgrade you'd be fine afterwards.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    zekethesinnerzekethesinner Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 805 Arc User
    @ambisinisterr Im guessing linux/mac/wine "support" is going to trash and nobody gives a dime about that?

(Sin)cerely
    Kain

• Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    @zekethesinner
    Wasnt someone working on developing dx11 for wine? I thought there was something close to being done.
  • Options

@ambisinisterr Im guessing linux/mac/wine "support" is going to trash and nobody gives a dime about that?

(Sin)cerely
    Kain

None of those were officially supported so I'd guess not?
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options

@zekethesinner
    Wasnt someone working on developing dx11 for wine? I thought there was something close to being done.

Dx10 is not even done, not mention dx11 or 12.
    https://www.winehq.org/winapi_stats

Well tbh even dx9 was never fully supported and dx10 is in better state than dx9 ever was, but dx11 is still in pretty bad state (tho big part of Dx11 is Dx10 afaik).

And wanna bet they will add something like GameGuard? Coz why not. ^^

Tbh i have better chance to run this game using VB than wine it seems, not like any of those approach would work.
    urabask said:

When did u miss those quotas around "support"?

This game was always running smoothly on wine, so it has many supporters from mac and linux, its not a secret. Tbh i like this game, but i wont consider dual-booting for that, there is no reason to buy whole pig (windows OS) for one piece of wurst.

(Sin)cerely
    Kain

• Options
    solbergxsolbergx Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    Will this increase FPS in protector enclave and othes zones? I get 15 fps there and i have amd R9 270x.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

@zekethesinner

Dx10 is not even done, not mention dx11 or 12.
    https://www.winehq.org/winapi_stats

Well tbh even dx9 was never fully supported and dx10 is in better state than dx9 ever was, but dx11 is still in pretty bad state (tho big part of Dx11 is Dx10 afaik).

And wanna bet they will add something like GameGuard? Coz why not. ^^

Tbh i have better chance to run this game using VB than wine it seems, not like any of those approach would work.
    urabask said:

When did u miss those quotas around "support"?

This game was always running smoothly on wine, so it has many supporters from mac and linux, its not a secret. Tbh i like this game, but i wont consider dual-booting for that, there is no reason to buy whole pig (windows OS) for one piece of wurst.

(Sin)cerely
    Kain
    I mean I get the sarcasm but they don't list OS X/linux as officially supported operating systems.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    Yes, players are successfully getting the game to run on WINE.

NW has developed this issue since the change came into effect:
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1226968/temp-file-cleanup-issues
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    serinitypheonisserinitypheonis Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    And... Farewell Neverwinter/ Arc/ Perfect World. I was already barely logging in because Gateway was removed and I never got the compensationcompanion . I'm not buying a new laptop just to play a FREE game. I already had issues getting it to play because I had to use the startup codes to force it to run Direct X 9 because my accelerator wouldn't accept 10/11 without either force closing or crashing the game after the cryptic screen. God only knows what crashes this is going to cause then. So, maybe one day in the next twenty years, I'll be back, but, have fun catering to the Xbox and PS4 players now. because I've noted that the PC version seems to simply be playing Beta for those platforms now.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2017
    @zekethesinner Linux and Mac are not officially supported and never have been.

@crypticcliff worked on WINE compatibility in his free time but it was not officially supported at all. He has since left the company and nobody has worked on WINE compatibility since.

Even while @crypticcliff worked on WINE the response to support queries about WINE related issues were to use a Window OS as Linux and MacOS are not supported.
  • Options

@zekethesinner Linux and Mac are not officially supported and never have been.

@crypticcliff worked on WINE compatibility in his free time but it was not officially supported at all. He has since left the company and nobody has worked on WINE compatibility since.

Even while @crypticcliff worked on WINE the response to support queries about WINE related issues were to use a Window OS as Linux and MacOS are not supported.

@ambisinisterr How many times i need to write that I GET IT.

I just wonder, at mod11 launch out, will u lose only 3% base, or 5% base, game population? Just from linux/mac users?

As community manager it should be one of ur major concerns, no?

Just saying.

Nobody cares anyway it seems.

(Sin)cerely
    Kain

• Options
    edited January 2017
    First, I am a volunteer moderator not a community manager.

Secondly, the stance on Linux and Mac is pretty set in stone. It is unlikely anything will convince the devs such a low population is worth the increased cost of supporting Linux and Mac especially when many of those accounted in the 5% (I assume you are referring to the Steam Survey) also run dual boot systems because the vast minority of AAA games released in the last decade support Mac or Linux.

Steam's "Massively Multiplayer" Game List shows 475 MMO's in total. Only 150 of which support Linux and/or Mac.
    That is a respectable percentage until you notice 100 of the 150 are indie developer games. Only 50 non-Indie Developers support Linux and/or Mac. Only 5% of non-Indy MMO developers support Linux and/or Mac. Games from larger publishers, particularly MMO's, generally don't find it worth the time and money to support Mac and Linux.

Until Mac/Linux makes a larger market share the larger game development companies will not see justification in supporting Linux or Mac until they reach a much higher population base. I am sorry but the economics don't work out and it is not something specific to Cryptic. The best option for anybody who prefers Linux or Mac at this time is to dual boot.
    Post edited by ambisinisterr on
  • Options
    xxxhansolxxxxxxhansolxxx Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    I had to change my GPU 2 years ago to be able to play a new release which did not support DX9.

So this is nowhere near a new thing ... DX9 is stable, but its old, and the industry is moving on ... We eventually have to chose, to upgrade or to be left behind ...
  • Options
    bloodyhairsbloodyhairs Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    I have a amd hd6800 and direct x 11 dont want to install, always tell me i have better, but in the game i have just direct 9 ti select ? i need help.

But , when i look in dxdiag, i have direct x 11...
  • Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    kreatyve said:

greywynd said:

kreatyve said:

Interesting. Now my husband is going to have to upgrade his dinosaur. He's been rather resistant for reasons that I don't understand.

Money?
    It's not really that expensive to upgrade though.
    It really is when it means a whole new laptop.

Edit: I got a message a couple weeks back about needing to upgrade video card. But when I run dxdiag am informed my Intel chipset is at DX12.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

I have a amd hd6800 and direct x 11 dont want to install, always tell me i have better, but in the game i have just direct 9 ti select ? i need help.

But , when i look in dxdiag, i have direct x 11...

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the graphics drivers and/or the game.

kreatyve said:

greywynd said:

kreatyve said:

Interesting. Now my husband is going to have to upgrade his dinosaur. He's been rather resistant for reasons that I don't understand.

Money?
    It's not really that expensive to upgrade though.
    It really is when it means a whole new laptop.

Edit: I got a message a couple weeks back about needing to upgrade video card. But when I run dxdiag am informed my Intel chipset is at DX12.
    Yes it can be but for a laptop to not have Dx11 it would have be at least seven years old. That is OLD in computer years. I get the frustration but it is upgrade time.

As for being told your intel chipset is Dx12 compatible, that should make it a Haswell chip or newer (2013). If your computer is older than that then while it may be Dx11 compatible it is not, as far as anything I see, DX12 compatible. Maybe the message doesn't correctly identify Intel CPU's but the only way to know for sure would be to look up your intel chip.

IDK how tech savvy you are but you need to look up the exact model number. It's not an "Intel i3/5/7 Processor." It's an "Intel i# ####(K/M) Processor" Sorry if you know this already but many people that do not know much about computers do not realize there is a difference between the i# and the model number.
This discussion has been closed.