test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The 'Bot Wars: A Modest Proposal...

thegreatmikeythegreatmikey Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 122 Arc User
A Modest Proposal For Preventing the Botters in Neverwinter From Being a Burden on the Game and for Making Them Beneficial to the Gaming Public.

As we all know, Neverwinter Online has a 'botting problem. For those of you who do not know what that is here is the "dumbed down to Mikey level" explanation; A 'botter is a person who sets up accounts in the game specifically to farm resources and sell it for real money or trade it for things they can sell for real money.

To my knowledge every MMORPG ever made that has resources that players desire within it has gained a team of 'botters that find the weak points of the system and utilize it to their advantage and, in the process, wreak havoc upon the game's economy. The 'Bots take up space in the game and cause load upon the servers that degrade the system resources devoted to operating the game. They generally make the game less enjoyable and cause the company hosting the game to lose money, which affects their ability to add to the game, improve the game and generally deliver a product the player base desires.

Taken to the extreme, 'botting can ultimately lead to the downfall of a game. As players who enjoy playing these MMORPG's, specifically Neverwinter. I have come up with an idea to resolve this situation to the satisfaction of players, 'botters and the company itself. This solution is:

Hire the 'botters.

That's right. Hire them. Make them Cryptic Studios employees. Get them to do what they are doing already and take a cut. This will open up a new revenue stream for the company. The 'botters are then given rules to follow which act as controls to keep the economy stable. Also, have them police the game for 'botters not employed by the company. They will have a personal interest in keeping these leeches out of the game and I am certain they will take to this task with zeal! I am certain they will soon come up with a cool catchphrase about it which will catch on like, "Botters Don't Bother Me" or "'Botters do it over and over again." The company could even sell t-shirts with these catchy slogans on them for an additional revenue stream.

The extra revenue gained from this can be used to improve upon the game, pay the developers more, give the company greater profit and the players a better experience.

I strongly urge Perfect World Entertainment and Cryptic Studios to implement this perfet solution to all the games problems as failure to do so will quickly lead to the downfall of internet gaming forever! Do you really want that on your conscience?

Comments

• Options
    btairbornebtairborne Member Posts: 352 Arc User
    Too risky. There is no way to know what would happen, and that is not how business is run. At least I don't believe that has ever been tried by any company.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User

Too risky. There is no way to know what would happen, and that is not how business is run. At least I don't believe that has ever been tried by any company.

Well... he could have suggested we eat them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Modest_Proposal
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    other game use bots, some are benifical for other players when "Asheron's Call" didnt have tradeable market, so they created vendor bots so other players can view and decide what to buy.
    what they didnt approved, it was "speed hack", it is lag hog, causing other players look slow or getting disconnected.

Neverwinter has Auction House for players to trade with or to buy.
  • Options
    Yay Becky!
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    Becky, lol, sound like "Soylient Green"?
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    Uh...do you understand how this works? If Crytpic wanted to sell stuff, they can just click a button and *poof* there it is. The idea that they'd have to hire botters to farm it for them is just about the most ridiculous thing I've yet heard on this forum.

Definitely top 10, no doubt.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    solbergxsolbergx Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    this is insane
  • Options
    mightyerikssonmightyeriksson Member Posts: 842 Arc User

Uh...do you understand how this works? If Crytpic wanted to sell stuff, they can just click a button and *poof* there it is. The idea that they'd have to hire botters to farm it for them is just about the most ridiculous thing I've yet heard on this forum.

Definitely top 10, no doubt.

Yup, someone has obviously not grasped the concept of how items on the digital farm are grown and/or conceived...
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    Id like to hope that given the title, this post is satire, and falling victim to Poe's law.
  • Options
    undeadcrabbundeadcrabb Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    Nope, not going to happen. If they can keep showing up when botting is not allowed, why would they want to share any of their "earnings" with Cryptic? If they can do stuff the way they do them now, without sharing anything , what's the point of being hired? Besides, if Cryptic would have wanted to sell stuff, they'd just sell it - why the need for farming?

Even if the bots were hired, they'd still be breaking the game, because essentially, the game would turn into a pay2win model which will make many of the current players loose their interest in the game. Suddenly anyone who can afford the most AD will get the best guild, better gear and more high-level alts. Worse off - the PW or Cryptic are going to loose money in this, because you can exchange zen to AD and the other way around. They won't be making as much money from people buying AD from bots as they would by just selling Zen.

And, if botting will be allowed, more players will start botting for XP, astral diamonds etc. Why pay the bots, if you can bot it yourself?

Another thing worth mentioning is the audience this game has attracted. From what I've noticed so far, most people here hate spammers, adds, having a purchase offer shoved down their throats, and most importantly - BOTS! Many of them will quit.
    Folow me on Deviant art! ;)
  • Options
    Yay Sockmunkey!