test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fixed Damage Weapons:

thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
edited September 2016 in Player Feedback (PC)
It is time we had 1 for every class. Earlier this year, amenar promised that he would bring up with the team that we would like a hold of them for testing in this thread:
amenar said:

They are super convenient, and I use them all the time. :)

We have made a set for every class that we use internally for functionality testing. I'll mention to the team that you guys would be interested in having them available.

Well, we would. 2 of them already exist, the Avatar of Wars great sword and the Crystal Dagger. I currently possess both and I can tell you, from using them they MASSIVELY simplify the testing of mechanics, save a LOT of time and allow me to provide much better feedback. Here is what they look like: (so people know what I am talking about)

And here are some examples of stuff I have discovered due to owning them:

1) Although the changes in the ranges of your tooltip when you slot wrathful determination would indicate you immediately gain 25% damage from slotting it and then gain an additional 12.5% at full determination, by testing with the sword, you can verify that the description that was given for the class feature is correct and the changes to your tooltip ranges are a tooltip error.

2) The GWF Heroic feat Disciple of Strength gives 6% more damage, which is then multiplied by (1+(Strength-10)/100). This is completely different from the tooltip description.

3) The GWF Destroyer feat mighty blade buffs:

Spinning Strike
Avalanche of steel
Slam
Grand Fissure
Mighty Leap
Punishing Charge
Roar

Nothing else is effected.

4) The TR feat Twisted Grin is twice as effective as the values listed on the tooltip.

5) Bloodbath is proccing Invisible Infiltrator and Infiltrator's action twice and providing the damage bonus twice.

6) The yeti damage bonus is not applied at all.

Whilst we can test stuff like this without these tools, it takes a lot of time to do so and our results are a lot less accurate. This makes people less likely to test stuff thoroughly and makes feedback a lot less helpful as a result. in this thread you describe how you want bugs tested and that you want proper feedback. Well, I cannot be clearer, give me the tools I need to test stuff and I will test everything. You want to know how a particular mechanic is behaving? Give me what I need and I will tell you. If you want proper, useful, concise and accurate data from your community, then give us these tools. They don't have to have decent damage or any stats on them at all, I want them solely to test stuff accurately. Heck, they can have a damage range of 100-100, they don't need any art at all and can be labelled, "test_weapon_10" for all I care, just give them to us.

I don't know how else to express this. Please, @panderus or @mimicking#6533, give us these tools.
Post edited by thefabricant on

Comments

• Options
    junktownvendorjunktownvendor Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    This sounds incredibly useful and I want it too!

*edit*Also, my goodness, this has made me make my first post ever on this forum, so yeah, I would really like to have this available.*edit*
  • Options
    agatagdragatagdr Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14 Arc User

Well, I cannot be clearer, give me the tools I need to test stuff and I will test everything. You want to know how a particular mechanic is behaving? Give me what I need and I will tell you.

Give Sharp tools and a salary. He probably deserves more than some.
    Eryca - Gutbusters Brigade
  • Options
    archangelzorak01archangelzorak01 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 324 Arc User
    I second this +1000.

Sharp made available to me a Crystal Dagger for testing on my TR and it VASTLY improved my efficiency during all tests on the test server. Something that would have taken hours of work was easily reduced to 10's of minutes.

Sharpedge has probably done more for testing and reverse engineering how this game works mathematically than just about anyone (Kaelac maybe?) I'm aware of. Not only that but he compiles all his data and freely shares it with anyone who is interested.

Players willing to spend hours and days on the test server are an extremely useful asset to the Developers. The more you help us the more we can help you. The more we can help you (for free* I might add) the better you can make the game for everyone. So if adding fixed ranged weapons is possible it needs to be very seriously considered.

*Actually many times it COSTS us AD to test things (for some that may equate to real money).
    Neverwinter Module 6: The only MMO expansion in the history of MMO's to remove more content than it added.

• Options
    diorieldioriel Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    should be relatively easy to add to the game, even if just for preview, if they already exist for internal testing.

help us help you!
    Leader of Conviction: find me in game if you're looking for a friendly guild!

Looking for reviews (will trade)!
    Arachnophobia
    Code: NW-DMRQYIZQT
    For all the spider-haters out there :p
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    I am currently making a new DC guide and this would be helpful to shorten a bit testing time.
  • Options
    mrtehpuppymrtehpuppy Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    I fully support this idea. I would add that maybe the fixed damage weapons should include a weapon enchantment slot simply for the sake of more thoroughly testing weapon enchantmenta as well, but I don't think that bit is as necessary or vital as just having the ability to obtain a fixed damage weapon for the purposes of properly and efficiently testing class mechanics. If the weapons are already in the code as has been indicated, surely it wouldn't be too hard to add them to a vendor's inventory?
    Member of Look Good Play Good
    Pup - Level 70 4.2k Buff/Debuff AC DC
    XBL GT: TehPuppy
  • Options
    micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    Neh, no need, it's all ok.
  • Options
    two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    More of these would be very useful. In fact, 2 different weapons for each class would be very useful. One with high damage, one with low damage.
    Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
  • Options
    putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    +1
  • Options
    d4rkh0rs3d4rkh0rs3 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    Yes, please. Add them to the Wonderous Bazaar or rewards claims agent in PE. @thefabricant (and others) is doing the game and community a massive favor.
  • Options
    tor#3438 tor Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    This is a good idea.
  • Options
    goatfaceonegoatfaceone Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    great idea
  • Options
    meiramimeirami Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 423 Arc User
    It would be very nice.
  • Options
    wdj40wdj40 Member Posts: 1,958 Arc User
    +1 oh God yes please lol... on the X1 as well, as I dont have a PC, this would be great to test things!!!
    Main - Rydia (HR70) - Xbox One Player only
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
  • Options
    dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    +1

This sounds like an incredibly reasonable, and likely not-too-resource-intensive request. One that would not only be an investment in the community, but also an indication that you care about some of the most vocal and engaged members of the community and you want them to continue to stay engaged with the game.

It's practical, it's symbolic, it shouldn't be too difficult. Please respond to this request to start the dialog <3
  • Options
    melasiomelasio Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12 Arc User
    yes please.

and buff CWs.

mostly buff me.
  • Options
    ddem0n888ddem0n888 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    +1
    Guild - Excalibur
  • Options
    d66723225d66723225 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 16 Arc User
    +1
  • Options
    fernuufernuu Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    etelgrin said:

Give Sharpedge the tools he needs, neverwinter fools! :wink:

Yeah, indeed. Most of SW insights I was giving was with Sharp on my side.
    Even if he wasn't there - I was using his insights to How to check stuff

But even without that - it will help a lot to preview stuff, what's working, what's not... Isn't that a goal?

https://youtube.com/c/FernuStormborn

Mod 10:
    [Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Killing Flames deals 16636893 (1009292) Fire Damage to Ethraniev Marrowslake.

Mod 9:
    [Combat (Self)] Your Murderous Flames deals 376274433 (18876929) Fire Damage to Red Tiamat Head.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    fernuu said:

etelgrin said:

But even without that - it will help a lot to preview stuff, what's working, what's not... Isn't that a goal?

Well given the fact that the devs don't fix anything, no. It's actually a waste of work time for them. But if it makes the man happy then why not. However it's something that maybe 5 players in the entire game will ever use, and something that cryptic won't benefit from as it's always used to find bug exploits on broken powers. See your SW build for more details, that recommends using 3 documented bugs. Somehow you've clearly been looking for them. This is what testing is used for, and this is extremely sad. :) So as long as testers don't develop a work ethic and share bugs with people who are going to spread them in the live game, it's going to suck. I did find a DC exploit lately and didn't share it. Why? because it damages the game, and I'd rather not give that kind of tools to people who are just going to ruin my gaming experience.
  • Options
    d4rkh0rs3d4rkh0rs3 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    Way to take the glass half empty approach, @diogene0. Nothing in this world would ever be accomplished looking through the lens you describe.
  • Options
    kieranmtornkieranmtorn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 382 Arc User
    +1. Fixed damage weapons would make verifying boons, feats, skills so much easier. And while you're at it, more hit points for the test dummies....
  • Options
    tom#6998 tom Member Posts: 952 Arc User
    +10000 to this idea
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    diogene0 said:

fernuu said:

etelgrin said:

Well given the fact that the devs don't fix anything, no. It's actually a waste of work time for them. But if it makes the man happy then why not. However it's something that maybe 5 players in the entire game will ever use, and something that cryptic won't benefit from as it's always used to find bug exploits on broken powers. See your SW build for more details, that recommends using 3 documented bugs. Somehow you've clearly been looking for them. This is what testing is used for, and this is extremely sad. :) So as long as testers don't develop a work ethic and share bugs with people who are going to spread them in the live game, it's going to suck. I did find a DC exploit lately and didn't share it. Why? because it damages the game, and I'd rather not give that kind of tools to people who are just going to ruin my gaming experience.
    @diogene0

I'm really glad you're making DC guide. But it has nothing common to OP.

It's something that will help players to test. And believe me - it's more like 5 players, just log on into preview server and see how many folks are there.

And which 3 bugs am I using? I don't see any, please clarify.
    Post edited by fernuu on

Mod 10:
    [Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Killing Flames deals 16636893 (1009292) Fire Damage to Ethraniev Marrowslake.

Mod 9:
    [Combat (Self)] Your Murderous Flames deals 376274433 (18876929) Fire Damage to Red Tiamat Head.
  • Options

+1. Fixed damage weapons would make verifying boons, feats, skills so much easier. And while you're at it, more hit points for the test dummies....

Yeah, that would be great!

Mod 10:

Mod 9:
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    Having these weapons would go a long way to showing us as players support. They already exist and would take under 10 minutes to implement in a patch. Not giving them to us, isn't due to a lack of resources, it would purely be because they don't want us to have them.
This discussion has been closed.