test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Gateway Closing Down

Comments

• sirflowerpowersirflowerpower Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    @strumslinger. @panderus
    Than what about the astral diamond exchange? I had about 2million AD for sale. And now with the gateway closing down i just lost all that? Is there a way i can get it back?
  • genjundeadgenjundead Member Posts: 372 Arc User

Let's be honest here, botting for most players has been a NECESSARY part of the game. Without the reasonably priced RP most players haven't a hope of getting decent gear. This could potentially be a game breaker in the short term, I know this has been said before but if new players don't feel they can get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time then they'll leave. This will only inconvenience the whales for an hour a day and will probably make them more money as prices will soar.

Is the game itself partly to blame? having encourage mutli-toon/multi-acct with its 80% off sales on alts. I very much doubt this which ultimately leads me to believe this has been planned for a while. If i was cynically inclined I would even go to the lengths of suggesting that this was planned so far back that the alt sales were part of the calculations in lessening the effects of this. If this is true then it may well be that the new players are making enough in-game that they're not spending IRL money which isn't good for the game. Seems of little coincidence that the initial shutdown was done prior to a very longgggggggggg weekend.

The bots will win out, they always do. They'll turn back the clocks and run their ingame scripts which will put huge pressure on the servers. You can already see/feel in game lag, just run a route tracer to see where the bottlenecks are starting to appear. Have they also been planning for this? Who knows but i hope they have!

I personally think they're taking a huge gamble on player loyalty, once you lose a gamer they a normally gone for good. If gives them more resources for more in-game development that can only be good because for me the last few haven't been game changers. I Myself have seen my gaming attention pulled elsewhere in short spats and what should be a busy period in my time zone is extremely quiet.

i believe that they did that sale to entice money. cause everything they have done in the past few months hurts players with a lot of characters. (you can still mail salvageable to your alts so having more characters is fine still, but it was way better when it was solid rough ad and not a rough ad boost.)
    i really hope the dev's increase the rough ad boost to 100% cause 50% is somewhat (note somewhat) hard to get rid of, and i only have 8 characters. wonder how people with over 10 characters or 20 are doing; and god i am crying for those who have 50 or 100.

players who quit don't quit forever. unless they give away their stuff to others. i know a ton of returning players. the only way for a player to really quit is to either give away all their stuff or delete it.
    hey i am taking all the stuff you guys don't want.
    want to quit the game, then give me your stuff. then you wont have any reason to return.

i still really love this game even though so much has been taken out. and i will continue to play. i tried my best in closed beta to give as much info as possible and report any bugs and still do so to this day. never really good on forums so i just send in my tickets. i still remember when somewhat quit this game during closed beta and man did i get a ton of items i really needed (not want but need) well guys i'll continue to read these forums and comment =D its fun. and if anyone wants to quit ill take your stuff. Genj@genjunead - just mail it too me or you can try to find me in game. on most of the time either on my main genj or an alt.
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    @panderus

Add the loyal gear to the loot table for FBI, as unbound items. It means the following:

1) It won't be "too easy" to acquire. The people who are acquiring them, will have already invested a lot into their character.

2) Its a non zen store alternative to the Adorable Bites stuff, which comes from lockboxes, so for there to be a supply of it, people need to open lockboxes.

3) People have incentive to run FBI.

4) It has high value. You don't want the gear to be cheap, so, make it a guarenteed BoE drop that the party then rolls on (using that need/greed pass system you forgot about). From the last boss. This means the amount of the gear landing on the AH is equal to 1 5th of the number of teams running FBI. This means there is a very limited supply. This means, it has value. The reason for the need/greed/pass instead of just randomly allocating it to specific players is so they always see the item drop. Players don't like RNG, so by taking the RNG out of the system, it feels better for players.

@panderus

Add the loyal gear to the loot table for FBI, as unbound items. It means the following:

1) It won't be "too easy" to acquire. The people who are acquiring them, will have already invested a lot into their character.

2) Its a non zen store alternative to the Adorable Bites stuff, which comes from lockboxes, so for there to be a supply of it, people need to open lockboxes.

4) It has high value. You don't want the gear to be cheap, so, make it a guarenteed BoE drop that the party then rolls on (using that need/greed pass system you forgot about). From the last boss. This means the amount of the gear landing on the AH is equal to 1 5th of the number of teams running FBI. This means there is a very limited supply. This means, it has value. The reason for the need/greed/pass instead of just randomly allocating it to specific players is so they always see the item drop. Players don't like RNG, so by taking the RNG out of the system, it feels better for players.

i don't thing loyal gear should be hard to acquire... like gateway i think anyone with a decent character should be able to get them.

gateway-get 4 epic companions. that's easy took me a week.
    so if they are gonna add loyal gear into the game it need to be easy to get for any lvl 70 characters. but not fbi, cause fbi is already worth running if you want ten town supplies.
  • sorce#8115 sorce Member Posts: 1,009 Arc User

@strumslinger. @panderus

Than what about the astral diamond exchange? I had about 2million AD for sale. And now with the gateway closing down i just lost all that? Is there a way i can get it back?

Zax is also in game, retrieve from there
  • seraphimrushseraphimrush Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10 Arc User
    I'll add my voice to those who'll miss the guild tools on Gateway. As leader of a reasonably sized guild, one of the most useful components of the guild tab on Gateway was the ability to sort by the "last seen" date. You can check activity in-game, but you have to hover over each individual name, which adds a crapload of time to the previously simple task of finding out who has been idle, and for how long--especially when your members play often on some alts and not so often on others. If that functionality magically appeared in-game, you'd make some people happy. :smile:

I'll definitely miss other aspects of Gateway, but it's the Guild and AH sorting/interfaces that I'll miss most. SCA was a lot of fun too.
    Chantra Everlight
    Co-Leader of Call of Mystra

I'll add my voice to those who'll miss the guild tools on Gateway. As leader of a reasonably sized guild, one of the most useful components of the guild tab on Gateway was the ability to sort by the "last seen" date. You can check activity in-game, but you have to hover over each individual name, which adds a crapload of time to the previously simple task of finding out who has been idle, and for how long--especially when your members play often on some alts and not so often on others. If that functionality magically appeared in-game, you'd make some people happy. :smile:

I'll definitely miss other aspects of Gateway, but it's the Guild and AH sorting/interfaces that I'll miss most. SCA was a lot of fun too.

+1 to this being added

so all my gold pets that I spent millions of ad on to do the sca are now useless

yes they are useless unless you want their active bonus and plan on using em in fights.
  • roadki11ukroadki11uk Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Removing features one after another will work in stopping the botters.

Eventually all players will leave - leaving only the botters.
    Nobody buys from the botters.
    Botters leave.

Success!
  • vityarivityari Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    clonkyo1 said:

Next measure to fight bots: shut the servers down. XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Yeah, as cancer ultimately kills its host and dies with it.
    To the topic: loss of Gateway already feels like a hand or a leg chopped off. You could still walk with crutches, but not nearly as efficiently as before. Could the devs at least increase the time for auto-kick to login screen to half an hour or more? I could only imagine (no, in reality I cannot) how pissed off are now the crafters logging in over and over to get the shorter tasks done. No way to go, not mentioning the inevitable increase in server load because of legit players now logging in for sake of craft only and taking channel slots, which they could do via Gateway freeing the server for those running campaigns, dungeons and stuff. Did it help? Was it worth it? We'll live and see..
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    Should have gotten a thief when they were 500k. Oh well, too late now.
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited September 2016

@panderus

i don't thing loyal gear should be hard to acquire... like gateway i think anyone with a decent character should be able to get them.

so if they are gonna add loyal gear into the game it need to be easy to get for any lvl 70 characters. but not fbi, cause fbi is already worth running if you want ten town supplies.
    FBI worth running? The Ten Towns supplies used to be worth something, they worth FA now as you no longer need them for reinforcement kits. The gear is useless since you can't sustain the costs and anything you use to craft the gear is worthless because the gear is useless. So, why exactly do you want TT supplies? If you do the maths, they not the limiting factor on anything at all, the secrets are. There is literally no reason to run FBI now, outside of fun (which is why I still run it, but that will die out.)

Which gives more AD? Running 1 FBI or 4 (yes, 4!) etoses? Just the random drops in etos alone will net more.

The devs already stated they want the loyal gear to be hard to acquire. That means, it will be hard to acquire. That means, any suggestions that would make it easy to acquire are going to be ignored (its the way the devs work here.) That means, suggest stuff that will make it hard to acquire. That either means RNG involved in the acquisition of the gear (which I hate) or gating it behind challenging content.
  • jumpingmorksjumpingmorks Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    @Panderus mentioned in another thread that they are looking for ways to bring it into the game.
  • sirflowerpowersirflowerpower Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    @confusedpoof
    thanks
  • wyrmtoothwyrmtooth Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I have spent few hundred thousand AD not too long ago to buy elite companions for sword coast adventures dungeons. Had I known the gateway will be shut down I wouldn't even bother.

Now, would there be a possibility to still have sword coast adventures available within the game itself? Personally, I was not logging into gateway from mobile devices but from my PC. So I could just as well log into the game client, or even get to my character, and play the adventures from there.
  • iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    For a very long time, players haven't given a second thought to playing Foundry quests because "the loot sucks." Perhaps transferring the drops from SCA to eligible Foundry quests, (using the same 15+ minute requirement as it was for the old Daily Foundry AD,) as RNG drops would create an incentive for players to participate in Foundry content. Perhaps some of the higher end drops, the Lightfoot Thief for example, could be tied to one of the Foundry Community Achievements in the same fashion as the Book Imp companion is tied to the Foundry Authoring Achievements. Perhaps the Damaran Shepherd could be attained after playing a first Foundry quest, since it was attainable in the SCA tutorial. These are just ideas, but they make sense, (which might be the problem.)
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
  • szejhuludpuchaczszejhuludpuchacz Member Posts: 306 Arc User

@panderus

This.
    Permafrost kits became cheap after supplie req nerf. I stopped running FBI because profit is tiny. Old need/greed system was great, some people might remember old CN split runs... :)
    200_s.gif
    edited September 2016

@panderus

FBI worth running? The Ten Towns supplies used to be worth something, they worth FA now as you no longer need them for reinforcement kits. The gear is useless since you can't sustain the costs and anything you use to craft the gear is worthless because the gear is useless. So, why exactly do you want TT supplies? If you do the maths, they not the limiting factor on anything at all, the secrets are. There is literally no reason to run FBI now, outside of fun (which is why I still run it, but that will die out.)

Which gives more AD? Running 1 FBI or 4 (yes, 4!) etoses? Just the random drops in etos alone will net more.

The devs already stated they want the loyal gear to be hard to acquire. That means, it will be hard to acquire. That means, any suggestions that would make it easy to acquire are going to be ignored (its the way the devs work here.) That means, suggest stuff that will make it hard to acquire. That either means RNG involved in the acquisition of the gear (which I hate) or gating it behind challenging content.
    yeah i know theirs no profit into it.
    i still want the new gear to use. i know voninblood will be a problem.
    seals of the elements then. make it cost 600 for one or 1200 or seals of the protector 600 or less. devs can change it how they like.
  • greyangel13greyangel13 Member Posts: 28 Arc User

What is going to happen to Loyal Gear? will be moved to an ingame source?

This, and, will there be another way to get the Lightfoot Thief companion?
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User

@Panderus mentioned in another thread that they are looking for ways to bring it into the game.

You can count on it being brought into some unforgiving grind that most people will have no sanity or time to do.....

Silvergriffon's Holistic Suggestion Agency

OK, so Gateway is gone. We've lost some QoL stuff, and some items no longer have a home. Here's all my suggestions on the topic, many of which echo or resemble those that others have already given.

Short Term Workarounds

Add Companion Gear and Lightfoot Thief to the Trade Bar store. If you don't want to make them that easy to get, then create a recurring event instead of leaving them in there all the time. " The Lightfoot Thieve's Guild has been hard at work again and some of their best loot is available in the Tradebar Store for a limited time. You could even obtain the services of one of their members if the price is right!"

" Tbar store already makes it hard to get "

A Double RP event would be appreciated as well.

Long Term Suggestions

Professions Re-work: It's time to add some serious QoL enhancements to Professions. It's also a good time to encourage the use of ALL Professions again.

" i agree it would be nice to benefit from getting all professions to max "

Professions and Bound RP

There has been a growing fear lately that you are going to make all Profession RP BtA. I offer a compromise. Make the BtC Containers that the stones come in usable as RP directly, but you can choose to open them to share or sell the unbound stones inside. The catch is that using the character bound container will be a better return on average than you will get out of the stones inside. For example, I suggest that a Resonant Bag could be used as 4,000 refinement points. Opening the bag has a chance to give you a blue stone worth 5,000 RP, but is much more likely to give you a green one worth 2,500 RP or a gray one worth only 500. This will, on average, increase the amount of RP a character can gather for themselves while still making a supply available on the AH or to share. Artifact Paraphernalia bags would grant 4,000 to any Artifact whether it be Power, Stability, or Union.

" a very interesting idea +1 "

Nodes and Resources

• Remove Mount Insignia from resource nodes. See Leadership, below.
    • Remove rare (blue) and epic (purple) profession resources from resource nodes.
    • Add bounty and campaign currency items appropriate to the zone the resource nodes are in.
    • Add uncommon (green), rare (blue), and epic (purple) profession resources to the bounty, campaign currency and maybe seal vendors (based on zone or content level).
    " that will make nodes useless then, i like having a reason to buy the kits for the nodes (first bullet) "
    " i don't quite understand what are you saying here (4'th bullet) "

All Professions
    • Add "Collect All" Button.
    • Add "Repeat" checkbox next to the Collect buttons, including new Collect All. This would attempt to re-queue the same task using the same assets. It would require interaction with the button though, not be an infinite repeat button.
    " +1 to this, make accepting and restarting the same tasks a little easier "

Leadership

Revamp Leadership to actually reflect being a leader. Rewards should be relevant to those you lead: your mounts and companions. Leadership should not be the primary way to upgrade your gear when we have other Professions that are specifically about gear.
    • Remove RP tasks from Leadership.
    • Add tasks that reward Companion XP Tomes.
    • Add tasks that reward Companion Upgrade Tokens.
    • Add "Mounted Combat Drill" task that rewards containers with random Mount Insignia inside.
    • Add "Dead or Alive" tasks that send soldiers into various Zones to collect the Bounty items for that zone.
    • Add a "Recruitment Drive" task that rewards a container that holds a random Event Companion, including a chance for the Lightfoot Thief.
    • Add tasks that reward the same Bags of Goods that drop from Quartermaster's enchantments. (Donate to stronghold or open for goods.)
    " add a way to gain a tier of rewards so that higher tiers can earn higher quality rewards. like if you have enough for tier 3 you have a chance for epic mount insignias, tier 2 for rare, tier 1 for common "
    " would be nice to improve the ways to gain the companion upgrade tokens "
    " not bad but i think this should only be active when the event companion is up, perhaps a way to improve would be... rare task: event. chance to drop event companion, drops medallions of battle, and a rarer chance at lightfoot thief and damarian shepherd (make shepherd a blue drop)"

Alchemy
    • Add a task that rewards Thaumaturgic Bags.
    Artificing
    • Add a task that rewards Artifact Paraphernalia bags.
    Jewelcrafting
    • Add tasks that reward "Gemstone" RP (Sapphires, Pearls, Rubies, Peridot).
    Leatherworking/Tailoring/Mailsmithing/Platesmithing/Weaponsmithing
    • Add a task that rewards Resonant Bags.
    " move the artifact paraphernalia bags to jewelcrafting or make the artifact paraphernalia bag gained frmo weaponsmithing and artificing "
    " i think weaponsmithing and artificing should give a bag that has a chance drop for cubes of augmentation and a guaranteed drop for resonance stones "

Longer Term Suggestions

Account Panel

Create an account panel that shows all your characters, like the guild roster. Select any character to do all of the following:
    • Manage the professions queue of any character.
    • View the character sheet, mail, and inventory of all characters.
    • VIP accounts get a fully functional version of mail as if at a mailbox.
    • VIP accounts get an Account Bank tab.
    • VIP accounts can move items and gold from any character's inventory in and out of the Account Bank.
    • Also add AD to the Account bank for VIPs so they can move or consolidate it without the ZAX.
    SCA Mini-Game

Make Sword Coast Adventures a mini-game playable in game. Possibly launched by interacting with a Well-Informed Harper since they tend to hang out in taverns where one might play games. If it's too server intensive, maybe make it available occasionally as an event.

" or make 2 npc's in the moonstone mask (one inside vip room and one outside- or none outside and make it a vip treat; you will have tons more players buying vip then.). keep npc's by a counter or table with a board game nearby, let us interact with the board game to teleport us, so we don't stand their using the space blocking others from use it too, can teleport us to one of the spare rooms inside moonstone mask or at the door entrance. once we are teleported a window will open that lets us play SCA. just an opinion " ​​
    " comments in yellow ", +1 to the post
    " +1, +1, +1. give us more reasons to get vip, cause right now its not been worth it really, 1 enchanted key a day which always gives me lame loot. "
    moving this to top =D

hhhmmmm is this still D&D

10%... so maybe
    edited September 2016

What is going to happen to Loyal Gear? will be moved to an ingame source?

This, and, will there be another way to get the Lightfoot Thief companion?
    everyone talks about lightfoot thief but no one talks about damarian shepherd =D
    guess cause its a white companion that isn't used. but i still thing people should be able to get it
  • iainusiainus Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Yeah, so yet more content taken away. Meanwhile there's more spamming in Protector's Enclave than ever before. Remember when professions didn't feel like a total slog? Remember the days when enchants and runes didn't take up half your inventory because there weren't three versions of everything (account, character and unbound)? Better yet, remember when you used to get Coalescent wards from SKILL NODES? I mean, even the events are now lousy, tight-fisted affairs where you get common potions and enchants as reward for all your grinding. This game just gets more and more monetised, grindy and continues to offer less and less to longterm players who've put time and money into the game.

But here, have a green companion you'll never use.
  • deathdawg#1568 deathdawg Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    Like most here I feel 'Due to Botters' is a lame excuse but can undetrstand that it had 'some' impact on live but not the way it was mentioned. I feel that it was they were not getting a return from the gateway and it became a leak in the ship so they had to plug it/ remove it actually in this case. Sadly I feel the companion while cute is a poor gift in return of several weeks of false promises that the gateway would be back up along with no information in those weeks. This seems nothing more in an attempt to push people to the zen market in game along with a small portion of the gateway resources going to actual live issues. As for the 'Botters' why not do what other MMO's are doing and that is actually looking at the spam report and blocking the names when you get tons of reports on them or heck just go to the live shard sit in Protectors Enclave and watch Social chat and see that they are in droves and start blocking them I counted in the last four days a total of 20 different accounts spamming their 3rd party this was in a span of an hour.

As for the things in Gateway companion gear, dog, thief and so on how about putting them in tradebar cheap or in the wonderous bazaar as for the Gond companion its going to make a wonderful free botters gift
  • riverrat#5721 riverrat Member Posts: 1 New User
    Sadly this is not the first time I have seen this happen to a game i enjoy. Instead of listening to the customer base, coming up with solutions that make sense and work we go the way of the nuclear options, price hick and generally pissing everyone one off. Then add insult to injury other than a random anouncement from someone about this total silence. FYI the other game i played has gone bankrupt and had a tiny fraction of the player base than what it had before all this happened. Congrats if you keep this up you are headed the way of the dodo
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited September 2016

Then add insult to injury other than a random anouncement from someone about this total silence.

@riverrat Not true. If you read the thread, you'd see there's over half a dozen responses by the developers about specific questions read.

I tried as best I could to collate all those in my first post on page one of this thread, for your convenience.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1222533/pc-gateway-closing-down/p1
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
    iainus said:

Yeah, so yet more content taken away. Meanwhile there's more spamming in Protector's Enclave than ever before. Remember when professions didn't feel like a total slog? Remember the days when enchants and runes didn't take up half your inventory because there weren't three versions of everything (account, character and unbound)? Better yet, remember when you used to get Coalescent wards from SKILL NODES? I mean, even the events are now lousy, tight-fisted affairs where you get common potions and enchants as reward for all your grinding. This game just gets more and more monetised, grindy and continues to offer less and less to longterm players who've put time and money into the game.

But here, have a green companion you'll never use.

blue companion we will never use
  • spocaliciousspocalicious Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I would like to add some "Constructive Criticism" here if I may. Here is the primary issue as I see it. Your botting problem is primarily done through the professions and probably SCA. Why not just remove those functions from the gateway. I have 7 toons in total and I found the gateway extremely useful in inventory tracking. It was so much easier to stop out there see which toon had my greater mark of potency than it is to sign into every toon I have and check there bags. Honestly I never really got the reason for SCA anyway. It had some good rewards, and I enjoyed getting the extra experience for my companions, but I thought it long outlived it's "usefulness". The thought of getting rid of "ALL" of the gateway seems to be the wrong option to go in my thought process. It may take a "revamping" of the gateway but I loved having the auction house, being able to see inventory, see what my toon had on, and other functions. I can't see where those few options could or would cause an issue with the "livelyhood" of the game. I ask that you please bring those functions back in a revamped way.
  • vityarivityari Member Posts: 10 Arc User

Instead of listening to the customer base

Well, the way things are managed in MMOs hardly resemble democracy. Always more like a totalitarian, authoritarian system. And I always wondered why - MMOs with millions of subscribers resemble a country, a mirror of the real world with diligent and lazy, rich and poor, famous and nameless ones, noobs and gurus, etc etc. And the question is, who is a player in the game - a citizen that has some rights (except the right to slam the door and quit) and deserves to be heard, or a slave, or someone else. We just have to take the dev's decisions as a matter of fact, and that's all. By way of a dream, such major decisions concerning everyone have to be decided by a vote - if not of all players, then at least VIP accounts and those who invested cash in the game in other ways. Another issue is how to protect the vote from being botted and hacked as well, but you got the idea :) there are enough players out there knowing the game better than the devs themselves do, knowing how to make people happy in the game and willing to pay, which is the dev's ultimate goal. Any online game can and shall be made better by common effort and listening to feedback. Sadly, it happens not so often as one could wish for...

This discussion has been closed.