test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Totally Baffled with new rough AD system

bathsheababathsheaba Member Posts: 17 Arc User
I do invokes and get a percentage on what.... promises of AD? Depending on when I do the dungeon after an invoke I don't get the same amount rough AD. I salvage rings, they give less.... It is a very sad day indeed :-(

Comments

• Options
    archangelzorak01archangelzorak01 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 324 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    It works the same way as the bonus XP you get from invoking.

Each time you invoke you add 'boost xp' to your pool, this is equal to a 50% bonus to any AD you earn through other means. Salvage, quest rewards, dungeon completions.

So say you invoke 6 times on your character, you now have 3920 Boost AD in your Boost AD Pool. Lets say you salvage a +1 ring from CN which is worth 2200. When you salvage it you would gain 2200 from the item and 1100 from your Boost Pool for a total of 3300. The 1100 would be deducted from you boost pool leaving you with 2820.

Every day you can add to the boost pool through invoking up to a total of 100,000.

Basically what this does is reward people for actually playing the game instead of being rewarded simply for logging in and invoking 6 times a day(which can be automated en masse).
    Neverwinter Module 6: The only MMO expansion in the history of MMO's to remove more content than it added.

• Options
    vinceent1vinceent1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    ye, rewarding for playing game with blue ring for 2000 RAD ..... lol
  • Options
    zibadawazibadawa Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    Blue salvageables and epic/legendary underdark rings got their salvage values nerfed. Purple salvageables got a boost.

My main problem with the system is that it is a horrible, meta-gamey pain in the HAMSTER. Now they're forcing you to bank salvageables and rAD giving activities (both of which you're probably going to need more of than ever before) until you have an adequate surplus built up.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    In case any of this helps to understand, here's some more clarification from the Devs regarding the Invocation changes:
    Some clarifications about the Invocation changes:
    • There is no ""expiration"" of the bonus. It won't ever go away. As long as you are actively playing the character, the new system should not leave you any worse off.
    • In fact, the new system leaves you better off (again, if you are playing the character) by about +20%, because it just gives you that much more AD (at L70 -- slight variations at lower levels, just due to rounding).
    • There is supposed to be a UI treatment that makes this all clear. Looks like that isn't in yet :(. But it basically looks like a glory boost, if you've ever used one of those. It's a buff icon that tells you how many more points of +50% earn rate you have left.
    • There is a cap on the total boost value you can get (all numerics in any game need some kind of cap, computers don't like infinities), but it's super-big. It's set to 100,000 AD, which is about a month's worth of boost. So you could invoke all day every day for a month (ok, 27 days to be precise) and still not lose a thing (again, in fact you get +20%). Past a month, and you'd hit the cap if you invoked the full amount every day that month but never played anything that earned you AD.
    • Characters that you never play with -- only invoke -- are the only ones that lose out. Which was the intention: more rewards for playing, less for characters you don't play.
    The reason we made this change was because was saw that Invocation was the largest source of AD that could be generated by not actually playing the game, this is not good. It was very apparent when comparing the PC numbers with what was happening on Xbox, VERY different playstyles but the vast difference between the two groups suggested this was a problem area.

The change we made will actually increase the amount of AD you would earn if combined with actual gameplay. You can even bank it for a week and play all on the weekend, you just have to do something to actually earn that AD now instead of having a bot army.

Just to confirm, there is not reset time on the bonus AD, there is a limit that can be stored which should not be able to be hit with a week of only invoking or more. Again, if you play ""normally"" you should be able to claim more AD from this than you would have previously. It really should only affect characters who ONLY invoked and did nothing else. There will be an minor UI update to make this change more transparent to the user later on and planned for the Module 10 launch.
  • Options
    vinceent1vinceent1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    banked limits are not so big, but number of blue rings you salvaging daily is much bigger
  • Options
    jarushk#5039 jarushk Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Since I had a stroke last christmas, I was forced to change my playstyle (my right hand has lost its strength, and middle and ring finger lost their flexibility and agility which makes mouse-controlled games quite challenging). I bought 12 months of vip for all the advantages it brings, added more char slots an leveled a total of 5 chars to 70. Took a while, though; because of the problems with the hand, I cannot play longer than maybe one hour in a row, then I have to pause. For the same reason, I cannot play more then 2 dungeons per day, and one, maybe two skirmishes. That's all what's left.

When these 5 chars were on max level, I decided on one main char and let the others invoke. 4 chars with vip produced a total of 13.200 RAD per day, while the main char earned about 15k. A total of 28k per day; much less than many other players can make. Still, it was sufficient for me.

Then invoking was changed. As it is now, I can still play only one char per day, but get only a total of 19k (15k for 2 dungeons and 1 skirmish, plus the bonus of ~4k). My slow progress in the game is even slower now. I understand the motives for this change, still it hits me quite hard.

In case you don't believe what I wrote here, have any authority of your company contact me through the given mail adress of my account, and I will gladly send the medical report from the hospital. This posting is neither a fake nor fun, but nothing but the truth. My chances on accumulating AD are even smaller now, and being officially handicapped and living on early pension, it is another frustrating experience.

That's all I can say about this change.
  • Options
    benw70benw70 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    I had no idea what was going on when I first logged in, but reading the mod's post I get it. -- We coo!
  • Options
    pr3stigexpr3stigex Member Posts: 419 Arc User
    Cool now everything will go up in price!! yay, not.
    Lash Urzoth 3.7k GWF, Pr3sTiGe 3k SW.
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    @jarushk#5039

Weeklies give you the bonus as well, there is a total of 6 you can do, there is no need to rush through them.

If you have 5 toons this is 4500 x 6 (though lets be honest no one does WOD , its way to long) so that leaves 5 x 4500 = 22500 per toon x 5 you have to 70 = 112,500. Wait until you have bonus money until you do them.

If you dont have them all open, no sweat, do the ones you can.

You have all week to do them, eat up your bonus money that way.

Also the leveling dungeons are avaiable, frankly you wont have to do much , but hit follow , hit t and follow the strongest member through, doing small but random damage, dont stress your hands out with it. You can eat the bonus that way as well.

• Options
    elrikoseeelrikosee Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    My problem is that after going through the dungeons a few times I AM BORED. I do not want to keep grinding through a boring routine. Also, high level characters only have 1 skirmish to chose from.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,232 Arc User
    1. Don't do weekly unless your bonus can cover it.
    2. Don't take Xp rewards unless your bonus is above 15K (just in case, you are lucky enough to have the 30K AD reward).
    3. Don't salvage anything from your main toon unless you have a big bonus pool. Send them all to your "inactive" alt.
    4. Do invocation for alt characters to accumulate their bonus pool.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    jarushk#5039 jarushk Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    @silverkelt

I know of only one weekly by now: "Defend the Portal". But I will keep your information in mind. Thank you for that :)
  • Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User

- Once you get the IL: FBI.
    - ... whut are you talking about, just 1 skirmish?

I thought FBI was a dungeon. Were we robbed again??
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,096 Arc User

(though lets be honest no one does WOD , its way to long)

I do it every week.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    The WoD weekly can be knocked out while waiting for the dragon run to start. The DR will get you about 14 coffers. Then you should get another one or two from mobs. Though it would take about 25 minutes of waiting and doing the DR.
  • Options
    minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    zebular said:

In case any of this helps to understand, here's some more clarification from the Devs regarding the Invocation changes:

• There is no ""expiration"" of the bonus. It won't ever go away. As long as you are actively playing the character, the new system should not leave you any worse off.
    • In fact, the new system leaves you better off (again, if you are playing the character) by about +20%, because it just gives you that much more AD (at L70 -- slight variations at lower levels, just due to rounding).
    • There is supposed to be a UI treatment that makes this all clear. Looks like that isn't in yet :(. But it basically looks like a glory boost, if you've ever used one of those. It's a buff icon that tells you how many more points of +50% earn rate you have left.
    • There is a cap on the total boost value you can get (all numerics in any game need some kind of cap, computers don't like infinities), but it's super-big. It's set to 100,000 AD, which is about a month's worth of boost. So you could invoke all day every day for a month (ok, 27 days to be precise) and still not lose a thing (again, in fact you get +20%). Past a month, and you'd hit the cap if you invoked the full amount every day that month but never played anything that earned you AD.
    • Characters that you never play with -- only invoke -- are the only ones that lose out. Which was the intention: more rewards for playing, less for characters you don't play.
    The reason we made this change was because was saw that Invocation was the largest source of AD that could be generated by not actually playing the game, this is not good. It was very apparent when comparing the PC numbers with what was happening on Xbox, VERY different playstyles but the vast difference between the two groups suggested this was a problem area.

The change we made will actually increase the amount of AD you would earn if combined with actual gameplay. You can even bank it for a week and play all on the weekend, you just have to do something to actually earn that AD now instead of having a bot army.

Just to confirm, there is not reset time on the bonus AD, there is a limit that can be stored which should not be able to be hit with a week of only invoking or more. Again, if you play ""normally"" you should be able to claim more AD from this than you would have previously. It really should only affect characters who ONLY invoked and did nothing else. There will be an minor UI update to make this change more transparent to the user later on and planned for the Module 10 launch.
    So you're even more intent on turning this into a job and sucking all the fun out of the game. All this change means is that I have to spend 6 hours a week playing undergeared characters (or those I retired post nerfs because I no longer wanted to play them) struggling in weeklies just to get the same amount of ADs as I got from invoking before, when I could do what I wanted to do on characters I wanted to play with my play time before.

Yes it advantages those who have only one or two characters, but those of us who bought the slots, levelled a load of characters to max, decided we didn't want to pursue them (or loved them and then didn't want to play what was essentially a completely different character post nerfs) are feeling utterly unloved.

Then you create a new area with quests anybody with half a brain could have told you were buggy as hell. Lead the trainee round Lonelywood, if anybody's trainee dies, everybody's quest fails, like people aren't going to grief that. 20 members of my guild including me have logged this afternoon before they put their heads through their monitors because of that one.

• Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2016

zebular said:

So you're even more intent on turning this into a job and sucking all the fun out of the game. All this change means is that I have to spend 6 hours a week playing undergeared characters (or those I retired post nerfs because I no longer wanted to play them) struggling in weeklies just to get the same amount of ADs as I got from invoking before, when I could do what I wanted to do on characters I wanted to play with my play time before.

Actually, even before the invocation changes, just playing a skirmish or two got you more AD than invoking all day would on a single character. Depending on level, you could get more than double what invocation would net you just from a two skirmishes.

Yes it advantages those who have only one or two characters, but those of us who bought the slots, levelled a load of characters to max, decided we didn't want to pursue them (or loved them and then didn't want to play what was essentially a completely different character post nerfs) are feeling utterly unloved.

You're no worse off, for if you've retired characters, you're not playing characters and are like those who only play a few characters. A full invocation cycle only netted around 1075 to 3600 AD per character before any bonuses, depending on level. The new invocation system should earn you much more AD on a few characters that one is actively playing over what one would get from a handful of inactive characters... unless you had a character invoke bot army. Still, a full bot army was only 63,425 to 212,400 AD per day (at 59 characters - meaning one would have to own all the packs that give characters as well as bought all the character slots an account can buy - PC only, I think XBOX and PS4 have an extra pack making it 60 characters max).. the new system will grant just a few characters being actively played more than that.

Besides, all of us who have tons of characters knew this day would come, it's like driving 180-miles an hour on a road with no speed limit, you know its unsafe and you know speed limit signs will eventually go up, but you do it anyway until then and complain afterwards. If you didn't know something would be done to combat invocation bot armies, you were fooling yourself. Being rewarded for bot like action or being rewarded for actually playing the game... yea I'd rather have the latter any day. The economy will balance itself out soon enough without the influx of invocation bot armies, especially those armies that truly were being botted by the truly bad folk.

Edit Note: Updated figures to include max level characters as not including such has some how offended a some...

Then you create a new area with quests anybody with half a brain could have told you were buggy as hell. Lead the trainee round Lonelywood, if anybody's trainee dies, everybody's quest fails, like people aren't going to grief that. 20 members of my guild including me have logged this afternoon before they put their heads through their monitors because of that one.

Irrelevant to this topic.

Post edited by zebular on
  • Options
    minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    zebular said:

zebular said:

Actually, even before the invocation changes, just playing a skirmish or two got you more AD than invoking all day would on a single character. Depending on level, you could get more than double what invocation would net you just from a two skirmishes.

You're no worse off, for if you've retired characters, you're not playing characters and are like those who only play a few characters. A full invocation cycle only netted around 1075 AD per character before any bonuses. The new invocation system should earn you much more AD on a few characters that one is actively playing over what one would get from a handful of inactive characters... unless you had a character invoke bot army. Still, a full bot army was only 60,200 AD per day.. the new system will grant just a few characters being actively played more than that.

Besides, all of us who have tons of characters knew this day would come, it's like driving 180-miles an hour on a road with no speed limit, you know its unsafe and you know speed limit signs will eventually go up, but you do it anyway until then and complain afterwards. If you didn't know something would be done to combat invocation bot armies, you were fooling yourself. Being rewarded for bot like action or being rewarded for actually playing the game... yea I'd rather have the latter any day. The economy will balance itself out soon enough without the influx of invocation bot armies, especially those armies that truly were being botted by the truly bad folk.

Irrelevant to this topic.

The last comment was simply indicating you are concentrating on the wrong things. Fix some of the bugs/design issues and people will more readily accept the nerfs.

I have 15 characters, far from tons. I was getting 3300 ADs/char/day, I play 2 really regularly (GF/GWF) having retired (from team play) my pally tank and DC AP healer when the pally nerfs hit, I did a few weeklies on the retired 2 and occasional SH quests on the others. I don't enjoy the skirmishes, I've done them so many times, and particularly having competent characters, I don't enjoy doing them on classes I discovered I don't particularly like, and with 2.1-2.5K gear, when I'd rather play my 3K+s. I'm also bored of dungeons at the moment (I did enough to earn enough protector seals that almost all of my chars have 3+ bits of DF gear and the rest are purple dungeon drops/Dusk/Drow), there is insufficient variety.

I need a load of ADs as I'd like to gear up my archer that I parked while it was unplayable. What will really take the hit though is what I generate for the guilds I'm part of, as I'm having to generate ADs will diminish the time I spend doing SH stuff for influence. Fed up of doing half the DPS of less well geared people because I went with augment rather than bondings on my GWF before bondings were really a thing (and before pets stopped staying dead for ages), and I can't afford to change that.

There also appears to have been a nerf to demonic HEs in WoD, I've done 25 or so non overloads since the patch, no rings so that's being clamped down on it appears, I would have expected quite a few to boost my AD generation.
  • Options
    merileemerilee Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    zebular said:

Characters that you never play with -- only invoke -- are the only ones that lose out. Which was the intention: more rewards for playing, less for characters you don't play.

So, Zebular, I have 16 characters the majority of which, I paid real money for the slots. I can not possibly play each character every day. I justified getting additional slots and supporting Cryptic by spending that money on the understanding that I would be able to use those characters the way the game was set. Now you have changed the nature of the mechanics. So, how about Cryptic reimburses me for those extraneous and now useless slots?

And by the way, it isn't "Characters" who lose out. It is players, specifically players who have spent real money on your game.
  • Options
    zebular said:

You're no worse off, for if you've retired characters, you're not playing characters and are like those who only play a few characters. A full invocation cycle only netted around 1075 AD per character before any bonuses. The new invocation system should earn you much more AD on a few characters that one is actively playing over what one would get from a handful of inactive characters... unless you had a character invoke bot army. Still, a full bot army was only 60,200 AD per day.. the new system will grant just a few characters being actively played more than that.

You're off by a factor of about three. The last ad-granting invocation alone granted 1000 rAD on a level 70 character. It's kind of hard to lend any weight to your opinions on a topic when you don't even know the most basic facts about it.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    zibadawa said:

zebular said:

You're off by a factor of about three. The last ad-granting invocation alone granted 1000 rAD on a level 70 character. It's kind of hard to lend any weight to your opinions on a topic when you don't even know the most basic facts about it.
    As I said, "before any bonuses." Just as you attack my knowledge, I could say the same for if you knew... you'd know the two figures I gave were the base figures. I assumed folks could figure the rest out based on their individual advancement level and make their own deternination. So, how about you discuss the topic instead of attacking folks and nit-picking on one ill-worded thing? Vent your frustration creativly instead of derogatively. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    merilee said:

zebular said:

Characters that you never play with -- only invoke -- are the only ones that lose out. Which was the intention: more rewards for playing, less for characters you don't play.

So, Zebular, I have 16 characters the majority of which, I paid real money for the slots. I can not possibly play each character every day. I justified getting additional slots and supporting Cryptic by spending that money on the understanding that I would be able to use those characters the way the game was set. Now you have changed the nature of the mechanics. So, how about Cryptic reimburses me for those extraneous and now useless slots?

And by the way, it isn't "Characters" who lose out. It is players, specifically players who have spent real money on your game.
    Making characters specifically to bot invocation seems like quite a unreasonable argument to ask for compensation when things are changed to actually make it so one truly plays the game to advance. Besides, you'd done have gotten your AD's worth back by now I am sure from those 16 characters. I know mine paid for themselves in the first month, and then some. So it seems pretty illogical to ask for compensation when those characters slots have already been paid for, and them some, by the use of the invocation system in which they were used for.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    zebular said:

As I said, "before any bonuses." Just as you attack my knowledge, I could say the same for if you knew... you'd know the two figures I gave were the base figures. I assumed folks could figure the rest out based on their individual advancement level and make their own deternination. So, how about you discuss the topic instead of attacking folks and nit-picking on one ill-worded thing? Vent your frustration creativly instead of derogatively. Thanks.

You're attempting to defend talking in intentionally vague, misleading, and misinforming fashions. Not only here but in most of your other posts in this thread. Absolutely *nobody* talks about the AD amounts you get from invoking by basing it on a level 1 character, because you will get more than that within a few days. Everyone uses their long-term acquisition rate, which is based on having mostly level 60's and 70's, because that is what's actually sane, informative, and relevant. Except for HAMSTER trying to pretend like they're smart and are making solid debate points when they're doing the opposite. I correct my previous statement: It is impossible to lend any weight at all to anything you say about anything ever.

If it were possible to engage your actual point and logic without your convoluted screen of misdirection and self-service, I might actually agree with you. But you are discussing it in a profoundly unproductive fashion.
  • Options
    sorce#8115 sorce Member Posts: 1,009 Arc User
    zebular said:

zibadawa said:

zebular said:

Zeb, the problem with the way you presented the figure of 1075 AD is that compared to the new system where (at level 70), the bonus pool amount is 3600 (mentioned multiple times by the devs), is that when you compare those numbers side by side, it gives an unrealistic perception of the change.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    zibadawa said:

zebular said:

You're attempting to defend talking in intentionally vague, misleading, and misinforming fashions. Not only here but in most of your other posts in this thread. Absolutely *nobody* talks about the AD amounts you get from invoking by basing it on a level 1 character, because you will get more than that within a few days. Everyone uses their long-term acquisition rate, which is based on having mostly level 60's and 70's, because that is what's actually sane, informative, and relevant. Except for HAMSTER trying to pretend like they're smart and are making solid debate points when they're doing the opposite. I correct my previous statement: It is impossible to lend any weight at all to anything you say about anything ever.

If it were possible to engage your actual point and logic without your convoluted screen of misdirection and self-service, I might actually agree with you. But you are discussing it in a profoundly unproductive fashion.
    Alas, all you seem to be able to do is be rude instead of actually discussing things to make your point. Confusedproof made the point of the way I worded it much better and less imature and agressive than you. I suggest you learn to discuss things better if you wish to be taken seriously. Your posts just comes across to me as intentionally agressive just for the sake of being confrontational. Whether that's because you're upset and need someone to lash out at, I don't know. I just know you're quite rude and really should learn to discuss a matter instead of being insulting. I might have received your critism better and even went out of my way to update my statement. As it stands, Confusedproof has pointed it out well enough, so I digress from your petty "parlay."

• Options
    edited August 2016

zebular said:

zibadawa said:

zebular said:

Zeb, the problem with the way you presented the figure of 1075 AD is that compared to the new system where (at level 70), the bonus pool amount is 3600 (mentioned multiple times by the devs), is that when you compare those numbers side by side, it gives an unrealistic perception of the change.
    Indeed, it was much quicker to gain AD on the old invocation system for those with more than a handful of max level characters. The reasons I didn't provide max level figures was mainly that I couldn't fact-check the figure at the time of my post, as it was written post-change on the PC and my highest on the XBOX is level 40, which at level 40 the 1075 figure is still accurate, not counting Rank 5 VIP bonuses. The other reason I didn't provide it is because I didn't feel that the majority of players would have 50+ max level characters all invoking just to gain AD and those that do would, as I said, have an idea of the max level. In my opinion, those that do would be in the minority and not really relevant to the bigger picture. The majority of characters in the game, in my experiences, are below level 60 so providing max level figures wouldn't have been relevant to the majority. So, I simply provided the figure I had readily available and that I felt relevant to the majority of characters being Invoke-AD-Farmed. I know most of my 40+ characters are not level 70, just the ones I actively play are 70.

As the system is now, it rewards players for actually playing. Yes, it is going to cause a good number of players to loose out on the amount of AD they (including myself) used to bring in just from invocation. If one looks at it in the long run, it will be better for the economy as well as the active player who focuses on a few characters at a time. AD influxing into the economy will lessen, which in turn will help to drive prices down. Average players will now be able to earn more AD and thus afford more things than before. In my opinion, the only ones hurting by this are a minority of players, like myself, who flooded the economy with AD gained by simply logging in and out repeatedly.

Instead, it rewards players who actually take the time and enjoy the gameplay of the game as well as entices folks to actually play, instead of manipulate the enconomy whether intentionally or as a by product. As a bonus, it really hurts the illegal ad sellers, as they're no longer able to make the AD they sell by doing "nothing." Looking at the bigger picture of it all, I really don't see how this can be taken anyway other than a benefit to the game and its communities of active players.
    Post edited by zebular on
  • Options
    greyhawk#1973 greyhawk Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    How can you possibly refer to customers that paid real money for character slots as 'bots'? And you get mad when people get upset when you post misinformation?

People that this affects greatly are NOT bots... Have the powers that be put rAD into ALL quest rewards so people can gain currency 'playing the game' and not behind activities that not everyone likes to do. ALL other MMOs that I've played allowed you to earn that major currency by questing. Why is this one different?

Again, we are not bots...