test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread: Guardian Fighter changes

Comments

• Options
    renesis15400renesis15400 Member Posts: 13 Arc User

I know Knight's Valor (KV) is not involved in the changes of the coming mod. I like to still write my suggestions here.

Why do I dislike how KV works? The reason I want a change for KV is that KV is boring to use. One mostly just needs to activate KV once in a dungeon. That is to say I do not care when and where to use this skill. I would like KV is fun to use.
    What is the mechanism I would like?
    1. Like most encounters, after using KV, it immediately goes to cool down and damage resistance buff lasts for 6 seconds. Make damage resistance buff a portion of damage resistance (50%) of GF. An interaction of defense and KV is more interesting than a flat number.
    2. The area of KV should be reduced. I suggest an area around GF for 20.
    3. Rework the 4th tier feat, Brawling Warrior, in protector tree: increasing area of KV to 30, and the percent of damage resistance to 60% or even 70%. The change allows protector to build around KV.

Why do I even suggest such nerf after the ITF nerf? KV is certainly a powerful skill of GF, which has the great utility for the party. But I don't think DPS classes should rely on this power to mitigate their damages all the time in a whole dungeon run. As a GF, I would like to have freedom to use more powers. With KV, I feel like I just lose one encounter slot.

I know Knight's Valor (KV) is not involved in the changes of the coming mod. I like to still write my suggestions here.

Why do I dislike how KV works? The reason I want a change for KV is that KV is boring to use. One mostly just needs to activate KV once in a dungeon. That is to say I do not care when and where to use this skill. I would like KV is fun to use

.. With KV, I feel like I just lose one encounter slot.

+1

This hits on an extremely relevant point for both KV and ITF, and support/buff powers in general, for the GF if i slot KV or ITF they both just feel like the loss of an encounter slot (KV especially so), with the way the old ITF used to work there was an incentive to pay attention and not just spam it - you had to wait and posistion yourself and time with the DC buff in order to maximise its affect.

Now with the nerf to ITF there is literally no interaction between it and anything else, so you will just spam it once every x seconds with no "skill" or regard for events happening around you. and KV is even worse as it is either on or off.

If the direction you are pointing GFs in is a support (aka buff) direction, think about how the player base will use those encounters or need to use them to make them "fun" or require some kind of actual thought/interaction with the game.
    +1.
    If KV will be active encounter with based duration 6-8sec with based CD 14-16 sec there would be some more fun and skill needed to play GF. To be more effective GF will need to up recovery stat. There is no need to nerf its radius, just make it active, not aura, and reduce its base effectivenes to 25% and +5% with each rank, but up protectors feat Brawling Warrior to make +5/10/15/20/25% boost for KV.

Now all that most of GF do in dungeons: switches on KV and use Enforced Threat+ITF on CD, sometimes use tab and Tide of Iron and its almost ALL that they do - its boring and makes GF in Protector and Tactician the easiest class to play with and there is no need to up gear - for tactician 2.6 GS is now enough to tank any T1 or T2.
    GF its easy to play with? LOL tell me you dont say that for real what character you play on the game?
  • Options
    parovozik86parovozik86 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2016

Why do I dislike how KV works? The reason I want a change for KV is that KV is boring to use. One mostly just needs to activate KV once in a dungeon. That is to say I do not care when and where to use this skill. I would like KV is fun to use.
    1. Like most encounters, after using KV, it immediately goes to cool down and damage resistance buff lasts for 6 seconds. Make damage resistance buff a portion of damage resistance (50%) of GF. An interaction of defense and KV is more interesting than a flat number.
    3. Rework the 4th tier feat, Brawling Warrior, in protector tree: increasing area of KV to 30, and the percent of damage resistance to 60% or even 70%. The change allows protector to build around KV.

Why do I even suggest such nerf after the ITF nerf? KV is certainly a powerful skill of GF, which has the great utility for the party. But I don't think DPS classes should rely on this power to mitigate their damages all the time in a whole dungeon run. As a GF, I would like to have freedom to use more powers. With KV, I feel like I just lose one encounter slot.

Why do I dislike how KV works? The reason I want a change for KV is that KV is boring to use. One mostly just needs to activate KV once in a dungeon. That is to say I do not care when and where to use this skill. I would like KV is fun to use

+1

This hits on an extremely relevant point for both KV and ITF, and support/buff powers in general, for the GF if i slot KV or ITF they both just feel like the loss of an encounter slot (KV especially so), with the way the old ITF used to work there was an incentive to pay attention and not just spam it - you had to wait and posistion yourself and time with the DC buff in order to maximise its affect.

Now with the nerf to ITF there is literally no interaction between it and anything else, so you will just spam it once every x seconds with no "skill" or regard for events happening around you. and KV is even worse as it is either on or off.

If the direction you are pointing GFs in is a support (aka buff) direction, think about how the player base will use those encounters or need to use them to make them "fun" or require some kind of actual thought/interaction with the game.
    +1.
    If KV will be active encounter with based duration 6-8sec with based CD 14-16 sec there would be some more fun and skill needed to play GF. To be more effective GF will need to up recovery stat. There is no need to nerf its radius, just make it active, not aura, and reduce its base effectivenes to 25% and +5% with each rank, but up protectors feat Brawling Warrior to make +5/10/15/20/25% boost for KV.

Now all that most of GF do in dungeons: switches on KV and use Enforced Threat+ITF on CD, sometimes use tab and Tide of Iron and its almost ALL that they do - its boring and makes GF in Protector and Tactician the easiest class to play with and there is no need to up gear - for tactician 2.6 GS is now enough to tank any T1 or T2.
    GF its easy to play with? LOL tell me you dont say that for real what character you play on the game?
    I have 4 characters i play with:HR, DC, SW and GF. My GF is tactician 2.6k GS, with no progress at all in Icewind Dale, Elemental Evil campaigns (no boons), and with only 4 boons in Tyranny of Dragons Campaign. I play GF almost every day.
    I tank T1, T2, demogorgon and CN prety easy, so i see that there is no real need to up GS now, and in M10 there would be no reasons to up it at all, except 3100GS to enter new dungeon.
  • Options
    ortuinaortuina Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited August 2016

Now it's not easy. It's very easy. Some so-called "buff GF" who have strong DR doesn't know how to tank cause DD's (due to powerfull ITF buff) kills all faster than GF approaches to mobs and bosses. In dungeons these buffbots press 2 keys on cd and use KV to protect standing behind his party members. Great skill. Very difficult gameplay.

Fortunately, soon this mess will sink into oblivion. "Hi-skilled" tacticians will write a lot of posts like this:

I spent 40m AD (maybe more) for ITF and have %175-%180 DR while ı fight, so will u destroy that ? can ı take back my AD's????
    ı read all changes and havent good changes for buffer/debuffer GF, Thats not class balance just murdered of buffer GF! Do u want lost a lot of players or just more money ??????

But problem of Protector path remains cause GF in other 2 paths may to protect and do some usefull things (do strong dps or advanced buff + increasing AP). And Protector may only to protect. This makes it less useful. Exactly because of this reason the protective capabilities of Conq and Tacticians would be decreased. Some pages ago i wrote about possible changes of some skills and feats. And i agree with people who want to nerf KV for Conq and Tacticians.
    Post edited by ortuina on
  • Options
    ortuina said:

Now it's not easy. It's very easy. Some so-called "buff GF" who have strong DR doesn't know how to tank cause DD's (due to powerfull ITF buff) kills all faster than GF approaches to mobs and bosses. In dungeons these buffbots press 2 keys on cd and use KV to protect standing behind his party members. Great skill. Very difficult gameplay.

Fortunately, soon this mess will sink into oblivion. "Hi-skilled" tacticians will write a lot of posts like this:

I spent 40m AD (maybe more) for ITF and have %175-%180 DR while ı fight, so will u destroy that ? can ı take back my AD's????
    ı read all changes and havent good changes for buffer/debuffer GF, Thats not class balance just murdered of buffer GF! Do u want lost a lot of players or just more money ??????

But problem of Protector path remains cause GF in other 2 paths may to protect and do some usefull things (do strong dps or advanced buff + increasing AP). And Protector may only to protect. This makes it less useful. Exactly because of this reason the protective capabilities of Conq and Tacticians would be decreased. Some pages ago i wrote about possible changes of some skills and feats. And i agree with people who want to nerf KV.
    GF is easy to play at the time couse of the stupid damage buff couse you dont need skill to kill a boss in seconce now for the DR the probleme come with the boons incingni and all tha stupid thinks that don't means you need to destroy his buff and put it on 30% on rank 4 and last if you are so sure GF is very easy play with OP and tell how muts easy is to play with couse he realy dont die.
  • Options

+1

+1.

I have 4 characters i play with:HR, DC, SW and GF. My GF is tactician 2.6k GS, with no progress at all in Icewind Dale, Elemental Evil campaigns (no boons), and with only 4 boons in Tyranny of Dragons Campaign. I play GF almost every day.
    I tank T1, T2, demogorgon and CN prety easy, so i see that there is no real need to up GS now, and in M10 there would be no reasons to up it at all, except 3100GS to enter new dungeon.
    GF is easy to play at the time couse of the stupid damage buff couse you dont need skill to kill a boss in seconce now for the DR the probleme come with the boons incingni and all tha stupid thinks that don't means you need to destroy his buff and put it on 30% on rank 4 and last if you are so sure GF is very easy play with OP and tell how muts easy is to play with couse he realy dont die.
  • Options
    ortuinaortuina Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited August 2016

I see the rambling stream of consciousness. Could you please to express your idea clearly?
  • Options
    damoc#3687 damoc Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    well in my opinion (but it's only my opinion) the tank concept should be explored further with twin notions like

Mark: instead of blindly giving CA to the party, it would be more tactical if it give +% CA damage instead and maybe increase the angle of the CA zone to 180° behind the mob and a even greater CA damage boost to the tank

Most of the bonuses and DR given by the tank apply in a cone BEHIND the tank

This would mean the teams would have to choose their positioning:
    Either behind the target to profit from the added CA damage at the risk of stealing aggro (at which point the tank could benefit of the huge CA bonus of the mark to quickly deal great damage and hopefully reacquire the aggro)
    Or the team could be behind the tank, beneficing of the 'protection' of the tank but not of the bonus damage offered.

This could be particulary interesting if some boss had big cleave and bursts: when the cleave comes, the tank turtles it away from the team and when the burst comes, the team must move back behind the tank

But It's not limited to the tank role: certain situations should require a controller to delay the small fry while the rest of the team drop an elite etc etc

• Options
    ortuina said:

I see the rambling stream of consciousness. Could you please to express your idea clearly?
    my opinion is first to remove the damage=aggro and put the aggro in the skills is a tank not a dps what the point of dps if the tank do the same or more damage (any tank). Secone dont remove the benesicts of each class OP easyer to play and more sorvive ability and GF harder to play mor risk to the group but damage buff on that case 30% is to low and dont warth th risk for the group to choise GF so on the end let the player and the group to choise wich of the tank want to have with them. With that way skillful player and groups they gone to have the choise to take GF eith the damage buff. If you destroy the GF buff what the resone to take GF with you and risk more for the group and dont take OP who is muts easyer. On ps4 all ready you dont see anyone to go up with the GF all tank is OP thats not fair for the class and not fair for the players who realy want to play GF.
  • Options
    theguiidotheguiido Member Posts: 467 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    @amenar Any reply on anything? You seem to just be replying to SW's and HR's like no tomorrow. Giving them these last minute changes.

All that was really stated from a few days ago was that you and the other developers will be focusing on feats (both paragon, and heroics) in a later date. Will powers also be seriously looked at in the future? like the VM bug that has yet to be addressed as well? Or the Shield Glitch?

Id appreciate some sort of "update" on whats going on. Thanks Chris.
    Proteus
    Guardian Fighter
    TLO
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1221446/the-future-of-the-gf/p1 Existing Problems Still In The Guardian Fighter

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/comment/12984912m
    Feat Changes I'd like to see in The Guardian Fighter
  • Options
    kacezetkacezet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 199 Arc User
    I said it once and I'll say it again, in the current state Tide of Iron is a dead power. Perhaps you could change it to debuff enemy damage instead of defense? Something like this would help GFs tank and make it worth slotting over WMS/TR.

Being able to cast ITF while running is a huge QoL improvement.

I'm really happy that WMS changes got reverted, it's perfect now.

Bug: Power: Steel Defense
    Everfrost damage goes through Steel Defense. It makes tanking FBI enemies really difficult.

• Options
    hawkeyelhawkeyel Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    theguiido said:

@amenar Any reply on anything? You seem to just be replying to SW's and HR's like no tomorrow. Giving them these last minute changes.

All that was really stated from a few days ago was that you and the other developers will be focusing on feats (both paragon, and heroics) in a later date. Will powers also be seriously looked at in the future? like the VM bug that has yet to be addressed as well? Or the Shield Glitch?

Id appreciate some sort of "update" on whats going on. Thanks Chris.

+1
  • Options
    ilsilenziosoilsilenzioso Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    Hi @amenar, just a couple of questions: is the gf rework done? I mean, other than the changes you listed, are you looking into something else?
    There are a couple of urgent thing that need to be adressed, in my opinion, like:
    -VM bug
    -Shield glitch.

There is a sort of bug now in live: after using an encounter/daily, and quickly pressing shift then mouse to use aggravating strike, the power doesn't activate. You need to release mouse button, then press it again.

Other than that: protector cap will have some attention now or in the future?
    Is possible to do something to improve threat generation? Maybe buffing aggravating strike threat or be able to mark while using shield slam (a mark like Threatening rush one, not the tab mark).

Ty for reading,

regards

• Options
    d66723225d66723225 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Bug: Artifact offhand bonus for class feature: Steel grace
    The offhand bonus for steel grace still gives the old 10% control resistance. Now that steel grace has been reworked this has to be changed as well.
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    Only thing I can think of the top of my head is improve Iron Warrior. Maybe cast while moving, and change it to a brief, negate 50% of incoming damage for 4 seconds or however long it is. The CD is long enough to warrant this.

Most of what the GF gets to initiate and tank the start of a fight is lacking. Especially when lunging's CD was increased.

All GF gets are DR buffs. They become useless when you reach that. Can we get at least one thing that cuts all incoming damage rather than slapping on DR?
  • Options
    ultimatefgt123ultimatefgt123 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    dolrey said:

ghoulz66 said:

Only thing I can think of the top of my head is improve Iron Warrior. Maybe cast while moving, and change it to a brief, negate 50% of incoming damage for 4 seconds or however long it is. The CD is long enough to warrant this.

Most of what the GF gets to initiate and tank the start of a fight is lacking. Especially when lunging's CD was increased.

All GF gets are DR buffs. They become useless when you reach that. Can we get at least one thing that cuts all incoming damage rather than slapping on DR?

I am absolutely agree with that DR buffs aren't actual when GF is at about the cap of defence :)
    +1

I believe all powers that currently increase DR by a % amount for a limited time should be changed to increase Deflect by a % amount instead.

Not only would that "fix" the DR cap issues but it would also reduce spike damage and make it easy / more consistent to heal GFs.

Also Bull rush needs to be changed..

1) why does the increased level of this skill knockback your target further away from you???! the GF already has distance closing issues as it is, why would you make the "gap closer" of choice for pvp push your target further away from you?!

..infact with Control Resist the way it is - on most opponents with tenacity or elven battle, if you punt them with Bull Rush alot of the time they are standing again by the time you reach them, and you are unable to combo your attack! change it to increase prone duration by % of a second each level.. or if you will insist on keeping it the way it is have Control resist/tenacity affect the knockback distance as well.. that way you can atleast achieve the aim of the skill (gap closing).

2) you should remove the % DR figure from Bull rush and increase bull rushes range to lunging strike range. that way you differentiate the offensive (bull rush/prone) with the defensive (lunging strike/DR%) but have them achieve the same "gap closing" aim. If you were going to replace the %DR gained with something else offensive that doesnt make it overpowered you could add a +damage buff to bleed damage for the same buff duration length- that could also set up some nice synergy (something the class lacks immensely) for bleed mechanics for Conq specced GFs (jagged blades) and your recent changes to kneebreaker/Anvil
    Post edited by ultimatefgt123 on
  • Options
    feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    One simple step toward bringing the GF into balance and making the class require skill to play in pvp:

Disable target lock in pvp.

*drops mic*
  • Options
    evemjevemj Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    So anyway, any chance we'll get back our gap closer, LS?
    I'm fine with less damage if it means I'll have a way of catching up to the other party members/enemies. I sure as hell didn't use it for damage.
    Hard to keep up with runners/dodgers and performing my tanking duties when I'm the last to join an on-going fight.
    People could wait for the tank to get aggro, but not a lot actually bother doing so.
  • Options
    setimoselosetimoselo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Is this the "comment giver" feedback thread...

Unlock the damage resistance cap for Tank focus feat tree's thanks!
    23uvq8m.png
  • Options
    ilsilenziosoilsilenzioso Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    Feedback: to be really honest, all i was hoping for this gf class balance was:

-an end to stupid overperforming buffs (check)

-a toning down on pvp burst damage. This just to put an end to the endless whine and nerf call from other classes. Because, let be honest: whitout burst, gf can't kill. Is a class that don't have a way to SLOWLY kill the enemy, like supposed. This is the real issue. So, is either stay behind shield and get killed/controlled at the first mistake, or burn down the opponent in a second. (partially checked)

-having the protector path more in line with others (not check)

-having a way to be able to play as a full defender, with some change in aggro management (not checked)

-Old bugs fixed. Shield first, VM second. (not check).

At the end of the day, like someone pointed out, the class was solid and most of this changes are needed. Still, it was a nice occasion to look into things that are around since forever.
    I just hope that these issue will be on dev's agenda soon.

Regards
  • Options
    someonediessomeonedies Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,257 Arc User

It's crazy. 100% immunity, it's just a crazy idea.
    Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪
  • Options
    setimoselosetimoselo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited August 2016

Yes, they honestly want 100 percent immunity for themselves after screaming for DP on the OP to be nerfed. GF is already immortal when played and geared well, being 100 percent immune would just be cheese.
    Or put a Damage Cap on Power that's = to the cap on Damage Resistance for Defense. It's not too radical a idea. Yall can focus on Recovery and Crit chance more just Like I have to focus on HP and Deflect because of that useless Cap that's made even more useless due to buffs that basically dont apply to my character.

At the very least, A tanks defense resistance cap should be higher then a DPS focused classes resistance cap.

PS, I said tank focused. That includes Tank OP's and even Tank GWFs. Pay attention bro :)

PS to that PS, This class sure gets alot of attention from other classes for it to be a class nobody really needs in a dungeon... I'm just saying, reality and what these people keep posting about don't add up. They compare themselves to the most maxed out players in the game and expect that a person fully loaded on stats is gonna be weak. 90% of GF's OP's and Tank GWF's are way underpowered in this game while DPS continues to inflate and go nuts.
    23uvq8m.png
  • Options
    someonediessomeonedies Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,257 Arc User

Yes, they honestly want 100 percent immunity for themselves after screaming for DP on the OP to be nerfed. GF is already immortal when played and geared well, being 100 percent immune would just be cheese.
    Or put a Damage Cap on Power that's = to the cap on Damage Resistance
    I totally agree with that. Power cap is needed to solve the "power-loop" (Bondings etc).
    Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪
  • Options
    doudouleliedoudoulelie Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Feedback: to be really honest, all i was hoping for this gf class balance was:

-an end to stupid overperforming buffs (check)

-a toning down on pvp burst damage. This just to put an end to the endless whine and nerf call from other classes. Because, let be honest: whitout burst, gf can't kill. Is a class that don't have a way to SLOWLY kill the enemy, like supposed. This is the real issue. So, is either stay behind shield and get killed/controlled at the first mistake, or burn down the opponent in a second. (partially checked)

-having the protector path more in line with others (not check)

-having a way to be able to play as a full defender, with some change in aggro management (not checked)

-Old bugs fixed. Shield first, VM second. (not check).

At the end of the day, like someone pointed out, the class was solid and most of this changes are needed. Still, it was a nice occasion to look into things that are around since forever.
    I just hope that these issue will be on dev's agenda soon.

Regards

+1,
    a lot of posts are garbage in this thread and this is why, we (GFs) don't want to post anything.
    But i will make just one intervention. We have only ONE good capstone, conqueror one. I'm prot, just because my first goal is to buff my party, not because the feats and capstone of prot are good (this is the same thing for the choice of tactician now, we don't have the time to do domages so we choose a little buff or protection more) . If it goes live, I and i think 80% of the GF will go conqueror and will have only one goal : Paingiver.
    Why don't put the 2 other capstones at the level of the conqueror one ? Here is my proposition

Conqueror : When struck gain increase damage by 5% and crit by 2%. Last 10 sec. up to 5 times.
    Protector : When melee hit reduce damage by 5% and increase threat by 25%. Last 10 sec. up to 5 times.
    Tactician : When melee hit increase party AP gain by 5% and debuff ennemies by 2%. Last 10 sec. up to 5 times.

(Sorry for the bad english french GF player).
This discussion has been closed.