What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Class Balance: Scourge Warlock

Comments

• Options
    lukejones77lukejones77 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 282 Arc User
    This is great!
    I don't necessarily mean the specific class changes here, but most particularly the approach being used across the different classes, to figure out:
    - What's actually happening in play out there.
    - What it means to the intended balance in the game.
    - How you're addressing it.

This is really, really encouraging.
    Sure, there my be some tweaking around the solutions over time, and many are going to be sensitive over some specifics, but I'm finally happy that I've persisted, waiting for this.

I particularly like that you're seriously taking it down to the level of build tree options.
    Personally, I only play the game to play a specific class with a particular role, and I'm very keen to see if that is once again properly honored in game design.
    Whether or not the game ends up being what I'm personally looking for, this is a great approach.

Nicely done Devs- keep it up! :)

• Options
    candinho2candinho2 Member Posts: 550 Arc User
    overall damage reduced by 25~30% compared to live, no real buff, and placed warlock in a extremely needs of armor penetration(wich we don't have on feats) and critical strike chance(wich we only have 3% from feats).
    The good thing is that now SW can compete in dps with healing dc and protector GF. Nice work just remember to change warlock roles from striker/leather to non-wanted/useless
  • Options
    gomok72gomok72 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    candinho2 said:

overall damage reduced by 25~30% compared to live, no real buff, and placed warlock in a extremely needs of armor penetration(wich we don't have on feats) and critical strike chance(wich we only have 3% from feats).
    The good thing is that now SW can compete in dps with healing dc and protector GF. Nice work just remember to change warlock roles from striker/leather to non-wanted/useless

I'm also not sure about some of the changes, I'm going to jump on and test them without the bonding stone buffs just to see how effective our damage can be now. I still don't think we will be able to kill a Cleric in PvP with these changes and we will still be out dpsed by GWF.

I say to you all, get on preview and test this stuff because we all know, once they are done we will be stuck like this for the next 10 mods.

I may not be considered by most the BEST PVP Warlock on the server but, I am the most HATED amongst them.

-Kymos
  • Options
    gphxgphxgphxgphx Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    I admit upfront to knowing little about this class. My idea of a warlock is better served by a dps oriented DC loaded up with lifesteal. That said, the changes all sound good and may encourage myself and others to give the SW another look. The communication on this and changes to the HR have been particularly effective. Great trend.
  • Options
    metalraro#7399 metalraro Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    SW dps is death.
    now testing fury helbringer, fury soulbinder, soulbinder dammation etc etc etc...
    one gwf e one dc in party
    gwf 3.5 k
    sw 3.9k
    dc 4k
    in kessel/tuern
    difference dps + - 40kk for gwf in all builds.

thank incompetence , helped me kick the addiction of the game

ty ty ty.
  • Options
  • Options
    thegreatmikeythegreatmikey Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 122 Arc User
    I want to know why the lifesteal issue for the Scourge Warlock was not fixed, in plain, easy to understand straightforward language (no politician diversionary tactics!). This was the very first fix promised so long ago and without it I find myself underwhelmed by the changes. An honest explaination would help a lot.

I would also like to be given an idea of how far away this again promised change is.

For many I have chatted with the scourge warlock being played begins and ends with this fix.
  • Options
    rogerthat33#9036 rogerthat33 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
  • Options
    elvalianonelvalianon Member Posts: 331 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Wow... the SW is actually way over powered if you pick the right options. My tiny 2,1 SW already reached similar damage or out damaged my 3k+ friends by millions when I started doing T2 dungeons (usually there was a GF around for insane buff looping). It is nice to see how some other less popular features get improvements so more options become interesting too, well deserved. However, buffing Dread theft?! :D That is one of the most powerful encounters a SW has and I doubt it needs more buffs from Curse. I surely hope that taking away 20% dmg from Tyrannical and fixing the Buff loops (which are absolutely nuts!) takes the SW down to a less godly like stage in game, though I am highly doubting to see this happening after reading all the other buffs to already decent to awesome powers. Finishing a dungeon in 5 minutes is cool and all, but takes away the fun at some point. Anyhow, those are just speculations and assumption.

There is one major thing missing from this list; which is that Soul Puppets are able to tank bosses, even Orcus... (same applies to companions btw). Nothing is going to be done about that?

• Options
    n989311n989311 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    - pls fix shadow slip in air (why all other classes can shift in air, but not warlocks?)
    - pls fix encounters which interrupt at casting while you press on other encounters
    - pls make switch off for permanent soul puppet
    - pls fix animation while you fast press on soul scorch encounter or remove cooldown for that skill at all if I want spend all my sparks at one seconds
    - and again, pls fix Dreadtheft direction. Adds die, but beam as always locks on one direction and don't follow to rotation camera
    - Hand of Blight - pls don't change player location when adds come to close, sometimes it deadly for character, because it turn to melee version
    - Harrowstorm - to slow casting as Fiery Bolt
    - Wraith's Shadow - doesn't work if other friendly players in line of sight
    - Immolation Spirits - too long wait after spawn before attack enemies and don't respawns when it call again with full AP, just disappear and you lose your action points
    - Snuff Out - 5 sec to slow (and useless), sometimes I fill all my 30 sparks at 2 seconds with usual encounter
    - Dark Prayers - it's a simple joke. +5% damage resist and +1% LS after revorked LS system is nothing
    - Arms of Hadar - need fix animation when player interrupt casting

Best thing what devs can do for warlocks - remove all unused warlocks skills and feats and make new other, like a new buffs and more control for spawned soul puppet and immolation spirits, may be create soul catcher skill and spawn souls of defeated enemies...
  • Options
    merileemerilee Member Posts: 38 Arc User

I have a simple suggestion......stop everything you are doing! It does not matter at this point if the warlock has parts that do not work the way you envision. It is fine. There are always going to be underappreciated builds. The fact that the class even works at all after the brutal lifesteal nerf is a miracle. Please just do the right thing and leave it alone. The classes have been extremely unbalanced for a long time.

We accept that. It is fine.

Some classes do things better that others can not. I really do not see the value in altering the way curses work, or the soul puppet benefits. If I would do anything.....it would be to leave the game alone and develop new content, maps and such. Try working on maps. It might be nice to take my fully capable working warlock on a walk in a new area for once.

I feel your pain. I do, but you seem to have missed the point of these changes. This current spate of alterations is not, as I understand it, solely or even mainly about rebalancing the classes, so much as it is addressing diversity. Every class has two or three Paths and what we have all seen, and some of us suffered from, is the fact that to be competitive, we had to choose one path. Diversity is better than cookie cutter. By re-scaling the over-used (sometimes abused) powers and up-scaling or re-defining some un-used powers, we hope to see more variety in our population. For instance, my favorite character is a mage and though I wanted her to be flame based, I was so frustrated by the low damage I was doing that I bought into the "Frozen Daiquiri" build that we see almost every time we see a CW. While I loved the oodles of pain and devastation I wrought, I always felt like I had no choice in the matter. Now, sure, I chose to take the common path, but the point of having a variety of powers, dailies, features, and paths is to create diversity not to channel everyone into using one build.

I for one applaud the effort to offer more viable options.

• Options
    merileemerilee Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    n989311 said:

- pls fix shadow slip in air (why all other classes can shift in air, but not warlocks?)

Not "all other classes can shift in air." OP and GF can't either. It's annoying as hell to me that my GF and OP don't have a fast movement/dodge, but not every other class can stand in the breath weapon of a Dragon and survive, either. Every class is different, with different perks and pains. Movement is one of those.

You might as well ask why every class can't teleport the way Trickster's can. I find that intensely frustrating. I play with my daughter who is very precocious. I bust my butt figuring out a way to jump from one place to another and with a giggle she slips into stealth and 'Deft Strikes' to me ~ clever minx.
  • Options
    demonickk23demonickk23 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    please for the love of all that's good do something about pillar of power. This has got to be one of the most unused abilities that the hellbringer warlock has and that's not the only issue that should be looked into.

In my opinion the whole paragon path seems like a jumble of powers and feats thrown together while soulbinder paragon path powers/feats have much more synergy and use together. Please look into fixing the hellbringer paragon and make it fun to choose then maybe you'll see more people choose it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zachcampbell85zachcampbell85 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    [EDITED]
    Post edited by zachcampbell85 on
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    [EDITED]
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    [EDITED]
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    [EDITED]
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    [EDITED]
  • Options
    stpensivestpensive Member Posts: 286 Arc User

Mod 6 was the best thing that ever happened to this game.
    Ever since then, this game has been 100% Mickey Mouse.
    Debate me.

LS nerf was required lest healers be relegated to the unemployment line.

That said, you seem to have your mind made up. If you are done, please let the grownup people who still plan to play discuss the changes in peace please.

Kindest Regards...
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    For TT, now TC, I was under the impression (from the notes), that only one can be cursed with TC, however, area damage was still part of the mechanic. Meaning, critters around that TC'd target would receive trickle down damage; is that not the case; that it is now solely a single target daily?

I am not that butthurt if only 1 target can be TC'd at a time; what would burn the tukkis, however, would be if area damage was removed from that target.
  • Options
    i usually dont post on these just come here to read up and keep informed but i must say that as someone who has mained a warlock from day one back in mod 5 i was worried about these balance patches at first but once i sat down and read them i honestly am excited to try it out, yes tt took a big hit but really its just more about skill now, and ohhh man do i see a way we can earn soul sparks really fast now, plus ill actually be able to do something in pvp without a perfect team (thank you!) but the real star of the show creeping death now proc on all dmg types!? so awesome!

• Options
    edited December 2018
    [EDITED]
  • Options
    treesclimbertreesclimber Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User

stpensive said:

Mod 6 was the best thing that ever happened to this game.
    Ever since then, this game has been 100% Mickey Mouse.
    Debate me.

LS nerf was required lest healers be relegated to the unemployment line.

That said, you seem to have your mind made up. If you are done, please let the grownup people who still plan to play discuss the changes in peace please.

Kindest Regards...
    Kindest Regards?
    DPS is about to take the biggest hit that the game has ever witnessed and it will be nearly unplayable for anyone who actually bothered to build a buff oriented toon, but I suppose your main is a GWF.

When the GWFs cry, the devs listen, GG everyone, you did it, you ruined the game.

But back to my point, SW didn't need any adjustment at all, only buffs needed to be adjusted and how they are shared between the soul puppet. Completely useless adjustment.

Classes are getting a rework, know what that is? A fix, balance, fairness between paths and classes, go on, compare SB Fury now with HR Archery full single target spec, you know what happens? Both are really fckn close. Now come down, stop spaming this thread and wait till after GWF rework.

Please make toon hulks in throne of the dwarven gods not targetable by puppet.

• Options
    krypticlitekrypticlite Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    From my testing so far, 2.6k sw on test I don't see major help for the class overall. Sure while dt is active we can take a hit or 2, but as soon as the buff is gone, so are we.

The dps changes haven't done much for the hellbringer that i can tell. That path can't heal as well as sb so in my opinion it should be the dps "go to path" but yet soul scorch still wins my vote. Please buff Hellbringer it really needs a lot more to make it tempting to spec. It really should be a fire lazer cannon fueled by the powers of the nine hells, and not a glass bubble fueled by hot air.

Making Tryannical Threat(curse) a single target and not allowing the 15 percent damage to be done to other mobs (if that is intentional) is a bad idea.

Reguardless of the path, still die to adds like a knife thru hot butter.

Maybe at the top end soul scorch is doing millions of damage and murderous flames is but at the 2.6k level it's doing 30k damage whereas my other dps toons seem to do 60k to 100k and they are lesser geared.

It would be nice to either fix this class to be super survivable or super dps one or the other. The class doesn't bring much to a group in comparison to the other dps classes.

Since we can't have a pet that can actually tank (fair enough) why not change the pet to do more healing for the sw and as you already have done to a degree, beef the pet up in terms of surviving, maybe allow it to block x percent of the sw's incomming damage or something useful. That would atleast make leveling the class easier.

If you want the sw temptation paragon to heal, fix it to actually heal well. If not change that paragon to bring some superior buffs or crowd control to the group.

I don't think it's fair that my 2.6k sw can out dps a 4k cw or gwf no I don't. They have invested either lots of money or lots of time to get those characters up to that level. I am glad the pet is being worked on. But at the same time I am so unhappy knowing that my 2.6k sw can get killed faster than my 2k gwf or cw and without bugs/broken mechanics can't compete in damage with them.

• Options
    ogariousogarious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    donnyth said:

No changes to the "healing" third tree? It's basically useless. I've yet to see any SW go temptation.
    1) maybe this could be a pvp spec with survivability
    2) if it's a healing spec, it will need to contend with DC (meaning buffs/dbuffs)
    3) how about a spec that loses some dps but focuses on CC

This! I've wanted to play my warlock as a temptation warlock since the class was released. Give this class a boost and let us be the secondary support we should have always been.

• Options
    Note that he din't even attacked me, so in 1 full rotation i did +/- 20% damae to hin, and he killed me without any attack, maths done i need to to to it 5x to kill hin, if he don't self heal ou attack me, nice work devs you realy did a great job
  • Options
    n989311n989311 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Suggestion about "Vault of Piety". Can you create [Angel of Death] for SW's enstead [Angel of Protection]? And [Skeletal Steed] instead [Medium Snowswift Horse]? And make special items in Alchemy profession tasks for create magic scrolls and books with warlock skills for other players? (pentagrams, buffs, pots, altars, summon scrolls, teleport runes, vodoo dols etc)
  • Options

I suppose your main is a GWF.

Its a DC if you must know, SW is my alt...
  • Options
    reposterzreposterz Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    Please change dread theft targeting after fragging initial target and let it not go to waste especially in team PVE, and buff dreadtheft somehow, although it has changed the curse synergy, it still is not viable to remove dreadtheft for a scourge warlock primary config as it is the highest damage power a scourge warlock has for hellbringer.

Just think about it, thanks