test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Class Balance: Scourge Warlock

Comments

• allanondallanond Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    So, Hr gets changes, GF gets a buff nerf, you straight up gutted SW's twice now, once in mod 6 and now both times you said you'd fix temp tree and nothing had yet to be done either time. How bout nerfing those gwf's that still hit ungodly hard hard? I mean your whole point is to bring everyone to the same level right? Don't leave them OP, sure that's kinda the plan though.
  • mysticmarksmysticmarks Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    If you make these changes Andy, the puppet stays fun but now on both sides, however the single target dot dps and the Healer are still half garbage. Tyranical threat should endure for 15 sec at 4 points also doing what you describe in only one target on cast, but have that target randomly curse other mobs in an aoe (10'?) with all types of curses and random necro dmg. It needs character to have appeal in play. I can run immo spirits full time already and still run hdps without Tyranical. The issue with these daily skills is in that i can build it out to maintain immolation and feed tyranical; once that's achieved it gets disgusting.
    The Temptation needs a buff to it's healing I would say maybe 10-20% of all dps is a 20' aoe heal coming off of the target. All warlock lines need soul puppets to not have the 5 count hit dissolve; it should just be to destruction and still be healable and buffable for all 3 feat lines. That levels the SW dmg playfield for all feat lines, but adds some extra aoe dps to the puppet line, single target dps and heals get defense and some added aoe dmg to bring them closer to the puppet line, yet differ in that one focuses high DOT single target, one would actually be a healer with a modest dps, and the puppet line would still have nice benefits and maintain its aoe dps role.

The warlock itself should be about defense/lifesteal not deflect/lifesteal. If not, the base deflect severity should be 75% like the TR.
    The Base deflect severity of the TR should also be on the CW standard.

Sometimes you're your own best teacher. ~Me
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    Ugh, it's still for naught anyway if they somehow manage to get temptation right. It can never replace the DC's massive buffs and debuffs. Only if it can deal semi-competitive DPS of other strikers.

Damnation isn't a nightmare now, but the puppet needs added defensive buffs in T1s and T2s cause it's still too squishy to be of any real good use in there. The damnlock underperforms in DPS in groups slightly with the changes.

I always saw these two trees as gimmick replacements for a healer and tank for fun grouping, but they don't really perform too well in that manner.
  • gomok72gomok72 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    I have been testing he changes against other classes and in Dungeons "When I can" with other individuals and these changes are the "TRUE" death of the Warlock. While I have not found any true bugs with a lot of the damaging abilities currently, I am still unsure if any of the so called buffs we have gotten actually work.

I stacked Deflect to see if it made my Soul puppet tougher against mobs that usually one shot it and I am still finding issue with this thing being viable in use for a BIS level 70 Warlock (A Warlock with any sense will not be using Soul puppet in Dungeons now).

For PvP, the Soul puppet still gets one shoted even with us that are stacking RI to 100% or higher and Deflect over 50% without Soul sparks. While the mobs at "LOWER" level "Pre 61" are not hitting like a freight train, the mobs after this will frustrate any leveling Warlock to no end (Especially being there is a set amount of gear with hit points and deflect on it at these levels).

Infernal spheres currently in the state it's end is a worthless skill as no one will use this as a Offensive ability (unless they have a Owlbear) and as a Defensive ability this is a fail combination dynamic because you lose all the DR once in close proximity to a mob (they attack anything randomly).

Damage on the Soul Puppet has been butchered to no end, the swipes are very sub par and should be adjusted to reflect the Scourge Warlock's power, 25% of the SW power as damage maybe or damage scale with the SW power that ramps as you use "CURSES" not just with Hadar's grasp, this would keep balance as the puppet can be helpful in PvE and somewhat in PvP (Currently in PvP the Puppet is worthless).

Also, you have to invest too much into damnation to get benefits that are at best mediocre for a level 60 up and coming and a BIS level 70 Warlock (TR in PvP, again and GF/GWF still can one shot this puppet with no issue, making the SW useless, after spending every point).

I am begging you guys and I am willing to level up with ANY DEVELOPER in the game before this goes live , so that we can fix this class together, PLEASE for the sake of the Warlock community, level a Warlock up and play it in PvP against people who are willing to show you the issues and problem
    I may not be considered by most the BEST PVP Warlock on the server but, I am the most HATED amongst them.

-Kymos
  • krypticlitekrypticlite Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Do you think any of the developers are listening to any of this? I sure hope so. I'll shelve my warlock if this goes live. I hate to I love playing the class. I'm not asking them to make warlock the strongest dps class etc, but it's hard to justify playing this class vs my cw who can at 2,040 ilevel do more dps, buff and heal, AND get out of danger in any given situation much better than my 2.6k sw.

In my own opinion, Hellbringer should be that glass cannon and be able to rip apart things. It doesn't heal as well as damnation, has no means of evading it should be able to do something good. Fury HB should hit like a fleet of semi's while Damnation HB's pet should be "tanky". HB Temptation should be "some healing but more buff/debuff". Yet, to me, HB feels like a jumble of random abilities that do not have a good flow to them.

Meanwhile, Soulbinder has some self healing but has a huge ramp-up time for dps and thus SB Fury should not hit as hard as HB but could be a tier below it. SB Damnation the pet could do more overall to help the sw in terms of surviving as in maybe absorb a lot of damage the sw takes (especially if we keep the pet at the levels it's hitting on test). SB Temptation should be the "healadin" of the spec.

I guess it sounds simple but is very complicated to implement.

To any dev that may read this;
    I don't care if you listen to my ideas but please listen to the general consensus of the sw players. The class needs more love than what it's being given in this change.

• taitinhakkaajataitinhakkaaja Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    Currently and after these fixes there ain't any sane reason to play hellbringer. SB is better in every aspect, more damage, more survivability.. better in pve and pvp.
    We need huge buffs in pvp to be par with other classes and i'm not really convinced that these fixes will help us much.
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User
    mykael31 said:

Stop changing the classes and the game would be good you mess it up by trying to balanced the classes and destroy some of them in the process like I'm pretty sure your about to do to the gf.

When I saw the original notice about the 3 classes, that was my gut reaction as well - ah no, here we go again - the gf will get the same treatment as the paladin got.

But, both the HR and SW posts have seemed pretty even handed. Yes, they are nerfing one or two heavily overused (exploited) powers, but in return they are seriously buffing other powers to give players more feasible ways to play a given class.

It probably means they will nerf some of the group buff powers of the GF - ITF, KC, etc. But I'm actually looking forward to seeing what they give back in return. It could make my GF more fun to play.
  • adelelilyadelelily Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    I'm just just curious when are we ever going to see the life steal fix? It's been broken very very very long time everytime you do a character patch you say you'll fix it later still waiting for later.
  • adelelilyadelelily Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Oh and thought this was supposed to make us want to play the other feat trees not just other powers not really seeing you cover much on the temptation side. If you'd fix the life steal we could survive just fine. It's the broken life steal not going off most of the time now that gets us killed and now this nerf will definitely do it as most of us have nothing in deflection. So it's a pointless thing to give us unless you are handing us rank 12 silvery enchantments to go with these changes.
  • muckingfuppetmuckingfuppet Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    in edemo and tiamat it's always hr and warlocks at the top of the dps chart, I don't know where you guys get the gwf is always top damage, and secondly the gwf needs more defence as it's a melee class not a ranged class, gwf already had a nerf to its over health and the lostmauth set fix hit the gwf the hardest, the gwf has no dodge ability so it needs defence, just by its name you would think the great weapons fighter would be the main damage dealer in the game, iv never seen a gwf kill a strong hold dragon in seconds no matter what buff or de buff is going on but iv seen a warlock do it many times, all in all if a warlock or hr or tr or cw is built right it can easy keep up with or even out dps a gwf, most of you are asking for buffs like I want to tank better than a gwf or do more damage than a gwf yet you are saying the gwf is op, maybe they need to give the warlock better party buffs the warlock is for sure a damage dealing class but I don't really see it having an secondary skill like the gwf is supposed to be an off tank, my personal opinion is cryptic need to balance one class at a time not 2 or 3 or all at once, trying to do a few at a time will only cause more bug's and glitches
  • taitinhakkaajataitinhakkaaja Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    I agree sw's do amazing damage with fabled set/buff party, but hr's? Yes there are some amazing hr's, but gwf who knows how to play should out dps them... That's what my guild mate said and he's amazing hr.
    After lostmauth's set fix sw is also a melee class, we have to use Bova and enter melee range to get sparks fast.
    Sparks=damage.
    So now after these balancing, we are semi melee class which deals weak damage and dies very easy, since there ain't proper defence mechanic for sw.
    Or we end up as temptation healers without any serious buffs for party... and in end game partys those heals ain't much needed.
    Pvp wise, we are still underdogs.
    Things don't look very good for sw atm. :disappointed:
  • treesclimbertreesclimber Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    End with mod 5 sets it makes no sence that there people profit from a set launched so many mods ago.

• nap1985nap1985 Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    Plan on playing with the changes on preview shard, but two things stood out to me from patch notes. Fury appears to be getting some major buffs. Basically with all consuming curse slotted, you'll essentially be doing 60% more damage with ALL attacks, aoe and single target, to all enemies that you land a crit on. Obviously the damage is over 8 seconds, but on paper this sounds incredibly overpowered. Sounds fun, dont get me wrong, but that 60%....might need some tweeking. I like dots, that's why i play fury now when everyone else is damnation, and I like the changes described so far very much, and I hope they go live with some possible numbers tweeking rather than scrapping because it may be too overpowered.

Second thing, is the usefullness of Tryannical Threat after these changes. Doesnt seem in group settings than I could count on the target I apply TT to to stay alive long enough for me to do enough damage for the splash damage to amount to anything notable. Perhaps allow two targets and use 50% of your AP per cast? Or perhaps this is what they're going for, and intend other dailies to take its place in groups, and TT will be a decent soloing daily?
  • stpensivestpensive Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    nap1985 said:

Fury appears to be getting some major buffs. Basically with all consuming curse slotted, you'll essentially be doing 60% more damage with ALL attacks, aoe and single target, to all enemies that you land a crit on.

I guess I am a little confused about that as All Con Curse is accessible to the Damnation tree as well. I'm a little 'Fury stupid' (and the proposed changes do not help that) but I assume you are making this statement base on its interaction with another, Fury specific, feat. What one and could you elaborate?

Thanks...

• xs13redxs13red Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    Lesser Curse: Damage increased ~25%.
    Feat: Creeping Death: Can now proc when hitting a target affected by any of your Curses, instead of just Warlock's Curse and Tyrannical Curse. This means Lesser Curses and Warlock's Bargain will now enable Creeping Death.
    Feat: Creeping Death: Instead of triggering off any necrotic damage dealt by you, this Feat now triggers off of any damage dealt by your At-Will, Encounter, and Daily powers. This means more powers now work with this (powers that deal Fire damage, such as Hellish Rebuke, Killing Flames, and Immolation Spirits), but certain triggers from Class Features and other Feats will no longer proc small amounts of damage (for example, it no longer procs from Deadly Curse, Critical Promise, or Executioner's Gift).
    More along the lines of creeping death.
    HELLBRINGER TEMPLOCK-DEMONEYE
    TR-SNE
    CW-ELIKIA-MOF T
    DC-BUFFY ON HEELZ-BUFF/DEBUFF
    GF-BAIT
    GWF-MEATHEAD
    HR-SPLIT NOCK
    XBOX ONE
  • stpensivestpensive Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I think I get it; Creeping Death is the key then. Feel a bit silly I did not realize that, ty.

That said, would most agree then, Fury is getting a notable bump in DPS?

On a side note, I really wish that Cryptic would create a place, a 'Neverwinter Gym' if you will, where one could strip all their powers, feats, and the like to freely test out builds and against more than just dummies (multiple moving targets, test bosses, etc). If you tried to leave said 'Gym' with any changes, it would then prompt you for compensation (respect token).

To me, it is win win for each, Cryptic and the player:

For Cryptic: One of the reasons you see mass attraction to 1 build (barring broke mechanics) is because they read that it works somewhere, not because they, themselves, exhaustively tested multiple builds. Why is clear; it costs to change.

That said, it's perfectly fine that it costs; just let them test out builds and charge them at the door if they change. If not, they keep what they had. Hell, charge some modicum amout of diamonds to enter the gym if that makes it more palatable.

Another possible bonus would be that you are able to see (stats from the new gym) what people are doing \ choosing. It would help expose problem or broke mechanics quicker.

In the end, you could see more people purchase retrain tokens if they just had the chance to freely test out other options.

For the player:Most are generally obtuse when it comes to playing their own class; they really have no clue about other paragon paths or the true legitimacy of their feat and power choices. How many times have you been in a party where you were detailing other options to someone about their own class.

With a 'gym', they will have the opportunity to learn every possible variation of their class and how it fits into their play

Going to think over this idea and perhaps post it to a new thread.

In any case, ty @xs13red, for your reply.

• nap1985nap1985 Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    Creeping death (final fury feat) currently adds 60% of any necrotic damage dealt to a target affected by warlock curse as a dot over 8 seconds. The changes as described make creeping death apply the same damage over time effect to all enemies affected by warlock curse OR lesser curse, and apply it for all damage from encounters and at wills. So essentially, with all consuming curse slotted, all your encounters and at wills will do 60% more damage as a damage over time effect, over 8 seconds. Seems overpowered to me. Any other feat tree of any other class offer a straight 60% damage boost?
  • jwulgjwulg Member Posts: 14 Arc User

Hey, I'm pretty angry, and this is why:

You used the word "bugged" as a cheap way of explaining something that people don't understand.
    It's a soul puppet, so it's completely understandable that it would share received buffs with the caster. Only one main issue here. Because the SW was receiving those buffs twice, it had an exponential effect. Instead of receiving x2 buffs, it was receiving ^2 buffs.

A lot of SWs thought this was legit.

Here was the balance: SW couldn't run in a start a fight as they would immediately die, and that "bugged" DPS was conditional on whether the puppet was alive or not.

Some of us sat down and did the math, realizing the awesome potential that SW could have if placed in the proper party.

And do you know what those SWs did who saw all that potential in a class that you released that seemed to be perfectly balanced?

WE SPENT THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS ON THIS GAME.

Here comes the rant: Now you release a message saying the class relied on bugs, completely disrespecting an entire class of investors as if the people who are crying about an imbalance in PvE actually matter. If you wanted to go ahead and fix buffs, which you are doing, I also spent thousands of dollars on my Guardian Fighter, that's going to be "adjusted" as well, because you're too lazy to come up with more difficult content, instead you have to just nerf everyone to the ground. I seriously can't believe that after all this time, you would just say something is "bugged" and shrug it off like that. Okay, so SW was receiving buffs through their soul puppet that eventually became something more than was intended, especially after you released the last mod that made everyone who uses Bonding Runestones on their companion a **** god, there's been many things that you screwed up in the last year that all added up to a class adjustment being necessary, but to seriously sit there and say that SW relied on a BUG?

That was no bug. That was how the class operated mathematically.

And the potential behind that math was the reason people spent thousands of dollars to build their toon.

And you just **** all over their achievements, time spent, and money spent.

TL;DR - Rephrase your statement, something official should never include the word "bug"

I believe in something called consequential thinking. Maybe an entire class of investers will learn the natural consequence of investing thousands of dollars to exploit a clearly bugged mechanic.
  • deathdawg#1568 deathdawg Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    I may have to start using my puppet now, maybe maybe not. I stopped using the thing when i found that Dreadtheft to me was better in a run and I had to basically call the thing on the death of a foe. So I opted for a better encounter than the one needed for puppet. My only issue so far with the changes that are on 'paper so to speak' is that Tyrannical no longer counts as an aoe. That is one of the draws for me to that daily so will have to see what it does once these take hold. May end up replacing it and go to a different Daily if it is nerfed to the point of not fitting my playstyle.
  • tom#6998 tom Member Posts: 952 Arc User

in edemo and tiamat it's always hr and warlocks at the top of the dps chart, I don't know where you guys get the gwf is always top damage, and secondly the gwf needs more defence as it's a melee class not a ranged class, gwf already had a nerf to its over health and the lostmauth set fix hit the gwf the hardest, the gwf has no dodge ability so it needs defence, just by its name you would think the great weapons fighter would be the main damage dealer in the game, iv never seen a gwf kill a strong hold dragon in seconds no matter what buff or de buff is going on but iv seen a warlock do it many times, all in all if a warlock or hr or tr or cw is built right it can easy keep up with or even out dps a gwf, most of you are asking for buffs like I want to tank better than a gwf or do more damage than a gwf yet you are saying the gwf is op, maybe they need to give the warlock better party buffs the warlock is for sure a damage dealing class but I don't really see it having an secondary skill like the gwf is supposed to be an off tank, my personal opinion is cryptic need to balance one class at a time not 2 or 3 or all at once, trying to do a few at a time will only cause more bug's and glitches

ive never seen a SW soloing a SH drag or any T2 dungeon but ive seen vids of GWFs doing all that.
  • hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User

First thing my friend don't get fooled by painginving results. In live server for warlock enough to cast Tyrannical Threat daily power, then cast Warlock bargain, + Hadar grasp + Dreadtheft if u are Helllbringer warlock. And numbers start to fill your screen, paingiving calculator start spin like mad.. But when u look to executor statistics warlock is not on top.. Plus that daily power TT hits a lot of monsters in wide area in same time. But not as so hard as some other classes does, and its not like warlock kill them all with such combo.
    Now in preview server Tyrannical threat is fixed + adjusted.. From 40% power boost decreased to 20%. Thats mean by half,
    Next u can mark/curse only 1 target. means no more multiple cursed targets and chain dmg to each other or even wider effect area. That u can consider another ~20% reducing.
    After changes SW now sit in back, and now devs thinking how to fill gap which now is wide as americas grand cannion.
    So don;t worry any your current class will beat SW in matters of paingiving, or executing or in any other matters.
    Chears. :)
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================
  • dingrongdingrong Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 65 Arc User
    TT is reduced about 60-70% .. puppet in t2 dungs reduced 90% ..

my gues is DAMNATION SW will do less dmg then just about any other dps class
    FURY has a chance to be bellow average
    and TEMPTATION -LOL , just cant comment - INSANE uselessness-only close friends and relatives will invite you in party

and to comment about "bug" for puppet in dungeons ..
    Bug happend in mod 6, MORE THEN A YEAR AGO .. do you REALY need 1 YEAR to fix such a mayor bug? How many ppl work on this game anyway? 2?

this is my sad face---> 8==D
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    dingrong said:

TT is reduced about 60-70% .. puppet in t2 dungs reduced 90% ..

my gues is DAMNATION SW will do less dmg then just about any other dps class
    FURY has a chance to be bellow average
    and TEMPTATION -LOL , just cant comment - INSANE uselessness-only close friends and relatives will invite you in party

and to comment about "bug" for puppet in dungeons ..
    Bug happend in mod 6, MORE THEN A YEAR AGO .. do you REALY need 1 YEAR to fix such a mayor bug? How many ppl work on this game anyway? 2?

this is my sad face---> 8==D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVxlftx_vnw

This is what you call useless???
    well , i am not wrong , this is five 4 000+ ITEM LEVEL caracters - buffing GF,buffing DC, buffing CW-and 2 SW doing 2000 ITEM LEVEL dungeon ...
    This video proves that SW does more dmg then GF,DC and buffing CW

So, u made SW promote video , (BRAVO , clap,clap,clap)

put in 4k GWF instead of one of those SW and then post it :)
    And , even better , put HELLBRINGER SW vs GWF and post it on youtube , so we all can have a good laugh...

And the fact that devs needed 1 YEAR+ to fix major bug(puppet x10 dmg in t2 dung) still stands, so i must repeat that sad truth
    AND also , let me remind u that you can find on youtube SOLO GWF doing what DC,GF,CW buffers and 2xSW TOGETHER did in your promote video
    This is what you call useless???

and NO , this is what i call below average .. useless is temptation :) pls read my post carefully
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    dingrong said:

and NO , this is what i call below average .. useless is temptation :) pls read my post carefully

You are a special little snowflake aren't you. In case you weren't aware, in mod 10, GOOD SWs are actually seeing their performance improved in PVE, whilst only poor ones are seeing a DPS loss. Why was that slower than a run on live? Because ITF was nerfed. However, a run with a GWF or any other DPS probably won't be any faster.

dingrong said:

You are a special little snowflake aren't you. In case you weren't aware, in mod 10, GOOD SWs are actually seeing their performance improved in PVE, whilst only poor ones are seeing a DPS loss. Why was that slower than a run on live? Because ITF was nerfed. However, a run with a GWF or any other DPS probably won't be any faster.
    you are a bit confused and missing point ..
    who said anything about slow or fast run??

to make it simple:
    i am saying that GOOD fury SW compared to GOOD GWF in mod 10 will have 1:2 ratio DMG ..

GOOD damnation SW compared to GOOD GWF will have 1:3 ratio

and GOOD temptation SW compared to GOOD GWF will have 1:10 ratio and will heal a SILLY (USELESS) amount of HP

all in all , mod 10 will result in 90% SW switching to SB-fury all 5 other buildes will be neglected