test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What new PvP mode would you like to see in Neverwinter?

Comments

• Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User

Not a mode, but a suggestion to revitalize pvp (bring in more players): (1) introduce a glory-to-coffer-voucher vendor, and (2) consider pvp matches (domination, gg, strongholds) to be heroic encounters in Stronghold and give influence on win (up to 400 per day).

At first I didnt like this suggestion. Because I was thinking "well then all the PVP centric guilds will just stomp everyone and farm tons of influence etc"

As I thought more about this, I think this is PART of the much needed solution. Right now players get online and the FIRST thing they feel they need to do is NOT que up for PVP, but rather farm influence on their main and alt characters.

I think if influence were awarded via PVP, still capped at the same amount per day though, it would eliminate the need to feel you HAVE to go farm HEs in the SH map and could do what every PVP player WANTS to do. Log in, play a few matches, and log off.

If you want to get more people involved in PVP, this is a MUST. Reward PVP wins with things needed for the stronghold (like influence) so it alleviates the time required to grind in your SH BEFORE you can play the game - like doing PVP.

I would say the same for dungeon runs as well. Dungeon runs should also award influence so that a player logs in, he can go do what he WANTS to do and still get what he NEEDs, rather than feel this chore or mandatory farm thing required before getting to play.

most people have jobs and play this game to unwind from it. I know it KILLED my desire to play when everytime I logged in, I felt I had to farm influence before I could que for PVP since its whats the guild needs to progress... Without it, we dont progress and then lose benefits to other pvpers who DO farm that stuff.
  • Options
    plaviaplavia Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    foundry with 1-4 nodes

new equip (demon PVP set with +15 shadow vision. capes/neck with powers)

delete the current PVP campaign and create a new that all classes can achieve. (complete PVP armor set, donate glory etc.)

add potions and buffs to PVP map (temp potions, temp def/boost against other class)

balance the ArP tenacity ratio, one hit kill is too hard.

create balance in Q. maybe reward by levels, so high gear players will join the high level and leave the low for others

shadow enchant is nice for PVP but we need more, except elven and negation there is nothing nice for PVP, need to redsign many old enhant as they are useless.

need to improve the reward from PVP so more players will join (refining points...)

• Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    I have a question: WIth the new update you will release new pvp set ? At the moment is painfull to try to get the lionsmane set and take and 2 and 3 hours to finish a match. OWlbear cub hit so hard also in siege is horrible + the lag. CAN you add also when you purchase the strongbox keys also this package to include 2 strongbox of the fallen aswell? I WILL appreciate your answer. is
  • Options
    shonenbat88#8099 shonenbat88 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I think a monthly PvP event would be awesome, but I agree with the other posts about balancing first. I’ve only been playing this game since March and really enjoy the feeling of doing well in Domination, however doing well is something I’m only capable of in the lvl 20-29 queue without maxed Tenacity and/or expensive enchantments. Maybe this event could have multiple tiers? One that is based only on the stats of your build and armor, with enchantments and boons negated and offer (account bound) low level armor and weapon enchants as rewards (ex. Winning offers a chance for lesser soulforged enchantment). Another where all power modifiers are open and greater rewards offered (ex. Epic Mount/Companion). I wouldn’t want to take anything away from the people who have invested way more coin than I intend to in Neverwinter, but at the same time I would like to see this game gain a bigger player base, especially in the PvP Queues. I think the only way this is going to happen is if more areas of the game were welcoming to the average player who doesn’t expect to spend much on a game they downloaded because it was free.
  • Options
    setillsetill Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    A separate queue for premades, and teams must have only guildies :)
  • Options
    setill said:

A separate queue for premades, and teams must have only guildies :)

I dont think you would want this TBH. PVP is supposed to be FUN first and foremost - something this game is failing at currently. There is a HUGE barrier to entry with PVP. Its SUPPOSED to be something you have a buddy or two, get online together and do some quests and then que up and pit your characters against others.

So its primarily plagued by TWO issues: Premades + Gear Gap.

Adding limitations to just one of those will drastically change que times, I dont think you need to FURTHER limit it by only allowing "premades" to be "in the same guild" thats an unnecessary change.

Honestly, I am not even the BIGGEST fan of just making it solo q or premade Q as that eliminates duo/trio que players - which I think is how MOST people end up playing pvp... You play MMOs to be social, you dont play to que up by yourself, but not everyone has a full team of PVPers ready to stomp PUGs 24/7.

I mean in all honesty, the best solution would be to make matchmaking based on "highest item level achieved" and to ALSO include ALL boons into your "item level".Then you could keep matchmaking as is as EVERYONE who gets into a game together will be equally geared. This does mean BIS players will end up with longer ques but better games, and those 4k+ players will NEVER get pitted against a 2k newly 70 player.

The OTHER thing that would also be IDEAL is to create a "roll" check - like PVE has. Where it wont make a party of 3 healers, or no healers. So say a TRIO ques up with a GWF,TR,OP(tank) - it will TRY to find a DC who is in the same gear range for this party.

That would be ideal. Now you can que with any size of party and get somewhat even teams and even item level. The BIS premades never would even SEE the low item level guys in PVP and all would be well with the world.

Then you want to re-release NCL? The Leaderboard needs to be based on CLASS and not "everyone". So say you are a guardian fighter, you will open the leaderboards and ONLY see other guardian fighters on the leaderboard. Not EVERYONE. Because thats all that really matters. Some classes are at a disadvantage in PVPs, others have an advantage. So its not fair to pit class against class for a leaderboard. All people REALLY care about anyways is if they are the top of their own class.

Do this and TONS of people will flock to PVP and frankly, there will be less of a push for BIS status since it will only mean longer ques, but overall the most fair games.
  • Options
    zeusomzeusom Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 810 Arc User
    @bbascomdev

Consider added a "pvp flagging" feature to the Foundry so players may create and dabble in their own pvp maps.
    Sopi (aka Haxbox) SW [Synergy]
    Sopi SW Youtube channel pvp brickabrack

• Options
    xgrandz02xgrandz02 Member Posts: 702 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    @bbascomdev
    Cryptic Developer

This map would be so AWESOME for pvp,

specially for "Free for All" or something like that.
    <::::::[]==0 GwF 0==[]::::::> ● Still waiting for the promised Improvement ●
  • Options
    kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    @bbascomdev

So.... could we get some feedback on our feedback please to steer us better what is possible what is not what would require light resources/ man power or not etc there seems to be a lot of easy/ light coding suggestions in the past couple pages for PvP. Please let us know it what is possible what is not... so that feedback can be refined...

It would make you guys heroes in the players eyes.

P.S We have been eagerly waiting your return and comments for days and days now ...please don't let your posts die out : (
  • Options
    scylent#6295 scylent Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 43 Arc User
    I like what everyone has suggested. Balance first and after we have enough people back in PvP then we can all have fun with modes. Start it all out by allowing solo and premade queues, at least give them the option. Some non pvp guilds some times queue together for pvp and us pugs have had fun with them. So at least give the elites the option to not have to be in our solo midsts.

ScyLent PvE GF Main
    S C Y L E N T PvE DC Alt
    ScyLent Lux PvE OP Alt
    Unrepentantgaming.com
  • Options
    xpaeonx#5499 xpaeonx Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    Here is the problem with Adding a new pvp mode not enough people PVP as is, creating a new mode will just spread the pvp community further making que times even more unbearable for Siege. That being said here are my suggestions as a player who only played on PVP servers in Everquest and WoW for the last 16 years.

#1. Decrease Siege to 15v15
    #2. Make all of Icewind Pass and Dwarven Valley open world PVP instance by item level 1500-2500 & 2500+. This will expose
    new players to PvP who normally would not choose to flag up.
    2a. Create 3 additional locations similar to the current PVP flag zone that can be "dominated" giving the dominating team
    zone wide buffs:
    1 Location 10% increased Mount Speed
    2 Locations 20% increased Black Ice from all sources
    3 Locations 10% increased Rough AD from encounters
    4 Locations 3% Increased Refinement
    The location can only be dominated for a max time of 10min without being occupied.
    2b. Add new PVP currency for IWP/DV Pvp Zone earn through Daily quest i.e.
    Quest 1. Capture 4 Domination areas receive "X"
    Quest 2. Killing 10 Players receive "X"
    Quest 3. 10 Domination Point Defense Kills receive "X"
    etc................

#3. Create a PVP Crafting profession which give you the ability to create equipment, potions and food for pvp ( healing, power,
    sta,tenacity..etc) usable in any pvp zone.
    3a. When a player or NPC from the opposite faction is killed you receive materials to create the above mention crafting

#4. Add reward vendor the requires currency mix from all pvp mode types for rewards:
    1. PVP Mounts ( rare, epic, legendary ) that give tenacity as a bonus Stat varying on quality
    2. PVP Mount Insignia's
    3. Unique PVP equipment dyes
    4. Unique PVP enchantments that include tenacity
    5. Strong Hold Boxes with vouchers
    6. PVP profession crafting materials
    etc... etc...

XBOX1 Oppressor Control Wizard Nessa

http://neverwinterarena.freeforums.net/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4p_X0pLYeyKs3ZbMD_7OxQ
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Players are encouraged to pvp to advance strongholds so how is that 1% of the population ?
    How much of the population is dormant as well ? HOw much Gear areas and maps and events/ profession are tied into pvp and gear ?
    You are also forgetting about xbox pvp population that normally does not type or give feedback as well as their new playstation release
    They are trying to polish many aspects of the game because of this those population numbesr matter more in the big picture
    therefore PVP will/should get treatment from the Devs
  • Options
    unitedweevil679#9682 unitedweevil679 Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    A pvp zone in stronghold that let's you flag like icewind would be immensely appreciated. Allows for guildies to run against each other without constantly being interrupted by unnamed guildhall 20s that one shot all of us with their haste cleric. Should be free for all.

Add a countdown timer for ice wind domination (like dragons have, chathraxis will return in blah blah blah) while ice dom is fun, it is extremely annoying to get this boon because it involves hours of guess and check.
  • Options
    tacobeast94tacobeast94 Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    If a new PvP mode is introduced, please somehow work banners of the fallen into it. As it stands, siege is the only means to get them and the matches are few and far between. I think people would greatly appreciate that regardless of the match type (so long as it doesn't require 40 people to queue at the same time lol).

@strumslinger
  • Options
    If you want more people to pvp the change is simple, make pvp boons count all the time, not just when flagged. People will do it just to strengthen their character a bit.

Also, something that would decrease queue time, while keeping the level bracket system, allow premades groups of a variety of levels. Set level to highest bracket. That way if my level 20 Wants to hop into a dom with my level 60 guildies, they can. Everyone will be level 69, and it's going to be difficult for me, but I can.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

If you want more people to pvp the change is simple, make pvp boons count all the time, not just when flagged. People will do it just to strengthen their character a bit.

Also, something that would decrease queue time, while keeping the level bracket system, allow premades groups of a variety of levels. Set level to highest bracket. That way if my level 20 Wants to hop into a dom with my level 60 guildies, they can. Everyone will be level 69, and it's going to be difficult for me, but I can.

-1 million to this suggestion this is not balance

A level 20 upscaled to level 69 lol no thanks that is exactly the opposite of balance just exactly how many hit points do your think you gear will have 9999 come on dude !!!

So you want to be able to q in some random match and sabotage both teams how selfish of you !

This reminds me of some skirmish event free for all ....what you want them to give you free feats armor and powers/ enchantments as well ? p

Dude just level the guy up if anything they should give the power/item to buff an ally with some tenacity disposable store item or something or some gear you can buy with glory that has tenacity ... wait a minute they do lol

So instead of slow waits for unbalanced matches you are suggesting reducing the queue times by upscalling a level 20 to have fast waits to have yet another unbalanced match *sigh*
    Post edited by kalina311 on
  • Options
    Kalina, if you read my suggestion, it isn't for pugs. It's for premades only, meaning the rest of the team has to be okay with it and specifically invite you to the queue. There is no sabotage going on. If your guild has a team of four that thinks they can take a team of five, bring a low level with. Low level gets better glory/xp than they would in their level 20 match, don't have to wait 4 days for the queue to pop, etc. If you think it's that much of an issue, cap it at one bracket jump, so 60's and 70's could play together, or 30's and 40's.

Also, gauntlgrym should be allowed at 10+ same as domination. Same with open world's pvp.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    - 2 Million

Kalina, if you read my suggestion, it isn't for pugs. It's for premades only, meaning the rest of the team has to be okay with it and specifically invite you to the queue. There is no sabotage going on. If your guild has a team of four that thinks they can take a team of five, bring a low level with. Low level gets better glory/xp than they would in their level 20 match, don't have to wait 4 days for the queue to pop, etc. If you think it's that much of an issue, cap it at one bracket jump, so 60's and 70's could play together, or 30's and 40's.

Also, gauntlgrym should be allowed at 10+ same as domination. Same with open world's pvp.

Soooo you want cryptic to spend thousands of man hours on stat curves/testing and such to upgrade low level pvp characters to higher brackets when it would take them (a player) a few hours themselves max to level to such brackets ....Sounds like Alice in wonderland to me : D

There is a Pvp Match sabotage going on with your suggestion// your are denying the opposing team a fair match by having a guy on your team that is a one hit wonder cannon fodder not to mention 2 or 3 of them how is this balanced ? Then you have to sync Q with the team you wanted to get as well if not well..... you are sabotaging another full premade team to a pug stomp fest and wasting
    Their time cause little Level 20 Johnny wanted to play who has not even learned basic class mechanics yet and had no access to good powers ..cause he was waiting 4 days for a q to pop instead of leveling

.... I see your agenda now ..
    You want to break/alter the system by having the low level pvp guy get the glory (and daily ad rewards) as if he were level 60/70 (blue standard armor is bought with guild marks now by the way not glory or worst case the auction house cheap) Even if somehow the devs like your suggestion the glory would be scaled.... what you want your level 20 to be getting level 60 pvp rewards ya right *sigh*

If truly you want to help this guildy get him a glory booster pack then or run during pvp hour...oh you want the glory to feed your guild hall right ?? with low level alts army running/ ruining / exploiting pvp for resources and not playing ///I get it now nice suggestion .... Even if this is not your suggestion it would still be the logical side effect//

Why not petition/suggest for level 20 pve guy to get upscalled to do epic demogorgan as well to get +5 rings ..you know so he can "go with his friends *sarcasm* Yup I think a level 1 that just created a character that has 1 day a month to play should solo the dragon right ?

P.S I believe your suggestion is for a pvp lobby to set your own matches/ rules which has already been stated
    I know you are late to weigh in here and all the good suggestions already may have been made please put +1 next to the ones you like
    most of which I have already made
    Thanks
    Post edited by kalina311 on
  • Options
    elrondknightelrondknight Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    xfreddo said:

metalldjt said:

They are talkin about the Tenacity from the gear, like PvE and PvP gear should not have tenacity at all and the character by default should have tenacity.

And i'm talking about all the nerfs you are asking for... seems to me very little D&D.
    As someone else said, just throw away 8 mods, and go back to mod 1, when pvp was TR and nothing more.

D&D has nothing to do with PvP. D&D is all about players vs. monsters. Adding PvP to a game based on D&D is kinda silly to begin with. But it IS an online MMO, so you can't really get away from it, unfortunately.

As for the last * mods... what exactly have those done to enhance PvP? It seems to me each mod only made the PvP experience more unbalanced. Now the whole thing is falling apart. It's no longer just the un-geared noobs screaming about how PvP is no fun.
    '
  • Options
    veetusveetus Member Posts: 2 Arc User

One where everyone has equal stats and gear and therefore requires skill to win instead of Item Level.

This x10000.

Also, a 2v2 arena would be A-OK with me. With rankings.
  • Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited May 2016

xfreddo said:

metalldjt said:

They are talkin about the Tenacity from the gear, like PvE and PvP gear should not have tenacity at all and the character by default should have tenacity.

And i'm talking about all the nerfs you are asking for... seems to me very little D&D.
    As someone else said, just throw away 8 mods, and go back to mod 1, when pvp was TR and nothing more.

D&D has nothing to do with PvP. D&D is all about players vs. monsters. Adding PvP to a game based on D&D is kinda silly to begin with. But it IS an online MMO, so you can't really get away from it, unfortunately.

As for the last * mods... what exactly have those done to enhance PvP? It seems to me each mod only made the PvP experience more unbalanced. Now the whole thing is falling apart. It's no longer just the un-geared noobs screaming about how PvP is no fun.
    '
    I will not disagree but i have to say also pve doesnt impress me. WHEN i am allowed to reach 4k item level and a lot far from that( stronghold boons ) and more far COMPANions active bondings and more far mount insignia bonus and stats with no diminshing returns against 2.5k at most ( epic demogorgon) content then something is wrong here.
    AND even if i stay 2k to meet the requirements for a dungeon i will slot some stronghold boons and then again easy.
  • Options
    taitinhakkaajataitinhakkaaja Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    Maybe it's just me, but after grinding same old pve things over a year it get's boring. Pvp offers challenge and lot of fun when there is even geared teams competing.
  • Options

xfreddo said:

metalldjt said:

'
    To be frank, if the game initially didnt have PVP, it may not even exist today. A LARGE amount of their revenue from this game came from PVPers. So its the PVP community that funded it - mostly.

That said, looking at diablo 3, it too has had major balance issues and ONLY PVE. I played D3 when it first came out and it was a HAMSTER show... Ranged Classes could solo content that not even the best melee player could do with a group. Not to digress.

The MAIN reason I quoted you was the latter half of what you said is EXACTLY true:

This is exactly the issue with PVP. Frankly the SIMPLEST solution is to create a "Vanilla PVP" que - that disables ALL boons, secondary artifact stats, pets (currently does this already), AND POTS! ALL POTS. PERIOD. And just give a sheer RAW pvp que that strips your character down to his gear + primary artifact (+use) and THATS IT.

This would be such a MAJOR improvement to the game. The secondary isssues would still need to be addressed - like all the self healing items. However this would be a HUGE improvement for PVP in the game.

This way PVE can keep all its power creep, boons, 4x artifacts etc etc. But PVP is a more RAW game. Atleast domination.

Now you will have PVPers not affecting PVE and vice versa. No need to nerf boons, no need to mess with stuff, because PVP will be stripped down making item balance less of an issue.
  • Options
    deathklaat666deathklaat666 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 61 Arc User
    Ive Posted On this Before a few time in the past... Give us PvP'rs an Arena (Luskan has One.. where they Punish their criminals we can use theirs :P )And in the arena you can Queue for different style matches... Capture the Flag(storm the enemy base take there flag then defend it on the way back to your base to score points).. King of The Ring(people enter in a series of 1v1's where the winner moves on to the next tier Until the 2 best go Head to Head for the Win)..All Out Last man Standing Free For All... maybe some 3v3 2v2 and 1v1 style matches, Those along with Domination, Gauntlegrym, and StrongHold would give pvprs quite q wide range of matches to Participate in) I also suggest implementing tiers based on Item lvl perhaps Pre-2k / 2k-3k / 3k+ to avoid serious mismatching.. or even a few of the matches with possible gladiator Garb thats the same stats for all who enter the match. so many possibilities...make it so people can come in and watch the matches from a viewning area..Heck could even put a Shady character in there where you could Bet on Matches etc..
  • Options

I also suggest implementing tiers based on Item lvl perhaps Pre-2k / 2k-3k / 3k+ to avoid serious mismatching..

And this has been suggested for years. And for years its been answered with reasons why this doesnt work. The main reason would be gear isnt locked, so you can throw on 2k gear, then get into Que and get into the game then change gear.

"Ok so lock gear when qued" - again wont work because people want to Que and then run around in PVE. Considering PVE gear is VASTLY different than PVP, it severely limits what you can do if your stuck in PVP gear while Qued.

Also the BIGGER issue currently, is the PVP community is TOO SMALL currently for this to work.

Another issue is how boons dont factor into GS either. So a 3.2k player in rank 8s/9s and little to no boons, is VASTLY different compared to a 3.5k player who does have all the boons. The gear gap there, is probably even bigger than the gap from 2k -3k.

This type of thing MAY have kinda worked back in mod 0 or 1 where there were little to no boons and "gear score" was arguably a little more accurate than it is today. But now, the power difference is so large its ridiculous.

I even proposed multiple times creating a "high water mark" that keeps track of "highest item level achieved" and always base Ques off that # - to avoid the gear swap issue. This still doesnt alleviate the population issue nor does it alleviate the massive gear gap generated through the boons system.

I strongly feel that the BEST 2 things that could happen to PVP in Neverwinter would be:

1) Removing all boons from PVP.
    2) Creating a pre-made Q and a "solo-Q".

This creates a vanilla PVP experience where its based on gear and removes SO much of the power creep (and broken boons) that only harm PVP balance. It also removes premades from the solo Pug players. People are are serious about PVP will only premade Q. People who just want to casually play will solo Q.
  • Options
    scarabmanscarabman Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 29 Cryptic Developer
    kalina311 said:

"Before this thread, I couldn't remember when a Dev ever interacted with this particular forum."

neither can they .... but they probably were lurking and reading tho

BBASCOMDEV CRYPTIC DEVELOPER

Username bbascomdev Joined June 2015 Visits 22 Last Active May 20 Roles Member Posts 3

last active in the forums (not just including this thread) 5 days ago shortly after putting up this post but i actually think in all fairness there is more then 1 dev reading the post and the account could be a shell account for multiple people
    I'm willing to be patient a bit

We don't need to be logged in to read the posts :)

To those looking for specific responses to feedback, I'm explicitly avoiding doing that in this thread. The direction this thread took wasn't initially how I'd imagined it but I like the discussion I'm seeing and don't want to steer the discussions one way or another.

I'll also reiterate that we do read all your posts even though we don't reply to most.
This discussion has been closed.