Install Arc
Options

Disable enchantment visuals

13»

Comments

• Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    ghoulz66 said:

Would it be possible for them to allow players to transmute armor/weapon enchant FX with another?

If it works they way I think it does, absolutely not.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    shiva79#6664 shiva79 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    i have the issue, that 2 armor enchants are showing at the same time.
    the one, i used before, AND the current one (even removing the armor piece doesnt fix it. both enchants are still showing, when switching to fashion tab).
    contacted support and made a bugreport, but nothing happened.
    adding an option for disabling enchantment visuals would be great, because the greater enchants are terrible to look at (i know, tastes differ, but thats my view), and keeps me from upgrading my enchants
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator

I still remember reading the AMA that said they don't want to spend time designing something EVERYBODY has requested. The memory alone has my stomach in knots. Ptooy.

They haven't just said that they won't, but that they literally can't, or that it isn't nearly as easy as players think it should be.
    That is absolutely correct.

However I am going to throw out a quote from a developer that works for another company which as a tech nerd I love.

"Anything is possible with enough time and resources."

I make no assumptions about the difficulty. I only know that it is possible and would be profitable to spend the time doing such regardless of how weirdly (and by nature unintelligently) they programmed the system.

It doesn't have to be easy but it still should be done regardless of how complicated it is.

I could fill a page with all the doors this one change opens. Simple to do or not it is by far the best return on investment they will have over the long term especially considering I believe wholeheartedly this issue is the leading factor of any lack of cosmetic purchases.
  • Options
    duryntedurynte Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    I don't quite share this complaint.
    Isn't it supposed to be adventure gear (encounters) and town fashion? Sgt Knox does say something along this line when adventurers recieve their first fashion set.

Well, yes, I'm not so happy at the sight of courtisanes bunny hopping in *Ice*wind Dale, popping out of thin air some monstrous weapons that glow all over in manyfold disco lights. I'd prefer to have weapons and enchantments disabled on switching to fashion tab. That's at least what I do already, just three item drops into the bags.

Fashion: My main is in all purple, and the way I do, the next color of items will be around next Simril. If I keep on NWO professioning that is, which I'll probably not. So, I do have the trouble to not know, where to spend Zen on. I bought the elven Fairy set, the Sun Elf Noble, and I am tempted at the Tarmalune Merchant set, and more general in some simple medivial fashion. Portobello's Campaign I completed up to the fashion set for the pants. Hmmm, could be that those who bother with the forum are just a bit more passionate about look and feel, as opposed to the upgrades seeking peeps.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    Kinda confused. You are saying you disagree in the beginning but that you agree later on?

In any case you are not really accurate on the fashion. That may be how you envision it but it's really not how people I know envision it. Sure many people will switch back and forth like you do but that is merely because of the options presented. There is no reason that they couldn't make more combat-like fashion gear.

The fashion tab is simply a preference based on which appearances you have and which you like. They should be both equally usable both in and out of combat depending on your preference.

The issue is that people wish to have their items showing without having the enchantment completely cover the gear. Whatever appearance they want that is what they want. They don't want their character's appearance defined by the enchantment. You have found a way around it perhaps but personally I want my characters in armor and I don't consider having two sets of armor and weapons a solution.
  • Options
    wildfiredewildfirede Member Posts: 886 Arc User
    sorry double post - as there are two threads going on about this - but what would be the technical difficulties of cloning current enchants but with transperancy set to the max value and a vendor that lets you change perfect negation for perfect.transparent.negation ?

devs showed that adding new enchants is possible and that a tradein vendor is possible too.. so if it is really that hard to do a variable for transperancy/illumination and a slider then simply clone them to invisible ones and let players trade them in...
    Please fix Zhentarim Warlock companion's skill "Arcane Warping" to the originally intended "Arcane Boost"
    zhentarim-warlock-companion

Pure -> Transcendent Plague Fire weapon enchantment giving 80damge/20 seconds for 500k+ AD is a joke.
    plague-fire-weapon-enchant-r11-vs-r12
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User

i have the issue, that 2 armor enchants are showing at the same time.
    the one, i used before, AND the current one (even removing the armor piece doesnt fix it. both enchants are still showing, when switching to fashion tab).
    contacted support and made a bugreport, but nothing happened.
    adding an option for disabling enchantment visuals would be great, because the greater enchants are terrible to look at (i know, tastes differ, but thats my view), and keeps me from upgrading my enchants

Was your old enchant a Bloodtheft and have you taken the "Displace Fate" boon? You might have a different issue.
    http://forum.arcgames.com/neverwinter/discussion/1215197/my-armor-is-bleeding
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    shiva79#6664 shiva79 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    awesome, thanks a lot <3
    thats the issue
    my old one was bloodtheft and i picked this boon from maze campaign
    just wondering, why the responds to my ticket were, that its an unknown bug, while it got already posted in forum
  • Options
    duryntedurynte Member Posts: 132 Arc User

Kinda confused. You are saying you disagree in the beginning but that you agree later on?

Pardon. No, to me the armor mode looks like it was meant for encounters, and the fashion mode for roleplaying. I take it as a clue that in fashion mode weapons are hidden away and "popping out of thin air some monstrous weapons" to me seems akward. Like, my dwarf all in peaceful Icewind Merchant clothes pops out a glowing axe on double tapping a moment key. I was thinking this has been done to be able fight mobs in fashion mode, should they pop up.

In any case you are not really accurate on the fashion. That may be how you envision it but it's really not how people I know envision it. Sure many people will switch back and forth like you do but that is merely because of the options presented. There is no reason that they couldn't make more combat-like fashion gear.

The fashion tab is simply a preference based on which appearances you have and which you like. They should be both equally usable both in and out of combat depending on your preference.

I see. Yes. It didn't occur to me before. I guess that is just me mostly ranger-ing, and a ranger without bow and knifes is just not ready for encounters. But looking at the Replica Battlerager Chestlate, that seems to be a fashion set good for a dwarven rogue in encounters. Wizards, rogues and warlocks could fight without being armed, but GWFs or GFs probably would prefer to flee.

The issue is that people wish to have their items showing without having the enchantment completely cover the gear. Whatever appearance they want that is what they want. They don't want their character's appearance defined by the enchantment. You have found a way around it perhaps but personally I want my characters in armor and I don't consider having two sets of armor and weapons a solution.

Thank you for making this clear to me.
  • Options
    mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    They can already make things in the gameworld appear for some people but not others in the same instance. For instance there is a warlock class quest npc.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • Options
    phoenix1021phoenix1021 Member Posts: 532 Arc User
    They "can't do it" is a cop-out. Even if the visual effect is embedded into the function for every enchantment, you could still change those functions to accept values below 1 (i.e. 0) and have it display an empty effect. (because the visual effect strength is still different for different ranks) Or if enchant strength and visuals are linked, just change it completely to accept an override to disable the visuals. (display an empty effect)
    Now it seems they copy-pasted an enchant effect to make a boon, which is why we will look silly for all eternity if we take it.
    I think the reason they "won't do it" is something along the lines of, they don't want you to be able to hide your enchant in PvP. Or it's like why you can't hide shoulder pads in WoW - because they wanna preserve their artistic vision.
  • Options
    elvalianonelvalianon Member Posts: 331 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Wow what the duck happened! I made this post in 2014 and haven't seen a reply on it in 2 years, suddenly I get notifications with 24 replies! Even from 2014! LOL a bit late cryptic...

Anyhow, I still vote +1 for my own post :p With the exception of the enchants being visible in PvP since they are such a big deal breaker.
  • Options
    if it was couse of pvp - i think there is already code in the game to check if you are in a arena or openpvp (the same code that decides if you can damage another player)

if it was due to an artistic vision - "we want everyone to glow blue while rp-ing in their fashion gear that gets lost in the enchant's glow" i am not really inclined to beliefe that.

now something that i am more ready to accept is - The programmers that worked on the nwo core are long gone we have some guys that can do new stuff by trying to copy-paste code (hence everything new is bugged for weeks after release shadowclad,dread,phantom...) but this is out of their league...

Hence the suggestion to do a copy-pasta of the old enchants with transparency=1 and a trade in vendor.
    Please fix Zhentarim Warlock companion's skill "Arcane Warping" to the originally intended "Arcane Boost"

Pure -> Transcendent Plague Fire weapon enchantment giving 80damge/20 seconds for 500k+ AD is a joke.
  • Options
    deathbeezdeathbeez Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 789 Arc User

They "can't do it" is a cop-out.

Maintaining code by people that didn't write it is a total time-skink and costly.
    I do alot of Break-fix which is kind of the same thing, and it sucks. It took me 5 weeks to find a bug that was 4 characters.
    It's probably easier to say, "we can't do it" then expense the resources for low hanging fruit.
  • Options
    xxmantaraxxxxmantaraxx Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    I would be happy with being able to scale the level of visuals from lesser to trans. I loved lesser elven battle but breater and up just detract from the look of my character. the same with negation and soulforged. If they cant let us turn them off can we at least scale the visuals back lie we can chose the visual representation of our companions?

Ara Atheanes GWF
    Traxus Atheanes GF
    Bastiel Atheanes DC
    Ellara Atheanes CW
    Keira Atheanes TR
    Sarasin Atheanes SW
    Jerkface McGee HR
    -MANTARA- OP

• Options
    null
    Yes it is your job to do break-fix it is hard especially on code not written by yourself and lacking documentation but still your job.

The devs stay in the workplace and do something for their money, be it butchering CN or fixing enchant looks. it is a job, we are not asking them to do it in their free time or something.

managment decides if it is worth their time/salary. In this case they sad no (thou can't be done is not a excuse it is more : the 5 weeks they need to do that will be spend in fixing idk bonding stones...

as stated above this issue exists for 2 years now and imho hindered thousands of dolars being made by fashion -> hence the move of fashion to the t.bar store.

• Options
    phoenix1021phoenix1021 Member Posts: 532 Arc User
    deathbeez said:

They "can't do it" is a cop-out.

Maintaining code by people that didn't write it is a total time-skink and costly.
    I do alot of Break-fix which is kind of the same thing, and it sucks. It took me 5 weeks to find a bug that was 4 characters.
    It's probably easier to say, "we can't do it" then expense the resources for low hanging fruit.
    I get this. But this is not a complicated change to the combat system. It's just a visual effect that already is disable or enabled depending on if you are in the character screen, a mount etc.
    And it really just now starts to get annoying when boons are just copied from enchants. Next set of boons will put a third visual effect on my armor then? etc.
This discussion has been closed.