test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Developer Blog: The New Mount System

strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
In the upcoming Neverwinter: The Maze Engine, mounts are getting a major overhaul, and it’s been a long time coming.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/9773703-developer-blog:-the-new-mount-system

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

Comments

• Options
    scathiasscathias Member Posts: 1,174 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Mount Blog (english)

So, my biggest question is this. In order to have a 140% mount speed, am i going to have to have a legendary mount already? If so, I don't know that that is providing the accessibility to faster speeds that we were all hoping for with this rework. I am glad that we can easily put a 110% speed on a green mount... but that only works if i have a purple mount first, which means spending needless zen buying a purple mount perhaps.

Also, is the mount speed unlocked for your whole account? like if i have a legendary mount on my main character, can i get 140% speed on all my alts now? or are they limited to the faster speed that they have obtained on their own

@strumslinger @terramak @asterdahl can someone comment perhaps?
    Guild - The Imaginary Friends
    We are searching for slave labor, will pay with food from our farm!
  • Options
    evaliraevalira Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 245 Arc User
    Nice change, but basically if you weren't lucky enough or rich enough to have a legendary mount/lockbox mount, the only benefit is cosmetic (you can change mounts without losing speed) and a few free bag/bank slots freed up.
  • Options
    arabaturarabatur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 778 Arc User
    evalira said:

Nice change, but basically if you weren't lucky enough or rich enough to have a legendary mount/lockbox mount, the only benefit is cosmetic (you can change mounts without losing speed) and a few free bag/bank slots freed up.

Agreed, the 1% win again.
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • Options
    sylvrstormsylvrstorm Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10 Arc User
    This is awesome! I've been enviously looking at the stats and abilities of the new mounts, but love the look of my white tiger and don't want to give that up. Plus the fact that I paid real dollars to get it and don't want to relegate it to the bottom of a bag. This is exactly the kind of mount update I've been hoping for! Thank you!
  • Options
    scathiasscathias Member Posts: 1,174 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    looks like the thread got merged
    Post edited by scathias on
    Guild - The Imaginary Friends
    We are searching for slave labor, will pay with food from our farm!
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    there is one thing that should be cleared as soon as possible:
    lets suppose that someone buy 5 mounts with their 4k stats each one.
    Are those mounts, when in stable, going to give to the owner 5x4k = 20k worth of stats????

no because that would be pretty insane, totally destroy any resemblance of balance in both pvp and pve.

second: the insigna thing going to give advantages for every slots ( i guess 2x 5= 10 ?) are another source of doubts.
    but well at least at that point 5 bind on account mounts should be enough to be fully competitive on both main and alts.
  • Options
    misquamacus2misquamacus2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 193 Arc User
    You only have one slot for power, so only one 4k stat can be used at one time

• Options
    sammiefightersammiefighter Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    *blinks* *reads* wow you'll finally change mounts into skin and speed options?

While your taking mounts out of our inventory how about all the garbage quest items too?
  • Options
    zokirzokir Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    Finally.
    zokir.png
    Hyenas@zokir - Essence of Aggression
  • Options
    fatgunsfatguns Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    I was waiting for zokir to comment ;_;
  • Options
    soullesslordssoullesslords Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 54 Arc User
    I like the idea and where this is going.

To solve your problem of having to buy a high priced purple mount on the AH just do it from the zen market this way all your alts have a purple mount, legendary is just that legendary it would be nice to be able to upgrade a purple to legendary but I think that would have to be on an account basis IE not just upgrade 1 and have all your alts for that one upgraded unless they sold legendary mounts from the zen store hint hint.

As for people worrying about power creeps, slow down the devs have long term goals and know whats coming and what we need when it gets here, we have to many people pushing this way and pulling that way, some say give us harder content and others say nerf this or that you cant have both.

The real problem is pvp and pve need to be separated, for pve we need the massive boosts for the harder dungeons and bosses we keep asking for and I get it, its not fair to just take that into pvp where the game play and even the type of player base is totally different and honestly its a different mind sets to.

An example is I don't mind crawling hours through a dungeon taking my time to explore every thing, where as pvp is fast paced hard core fighting all the time that's not for me, so the player base is totally different while I agree some can do both most of the people I hang with very rarely do pvp and I do know and talk with hard core pvp people and they have no interest in crawling dungeons with me so until we separate the two there will always be a problem.

sorry for jumping off topic but it kinda fit again awesome job on the mount system I look forward to seeing it happen.
  • Options
    reds351reds351 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 343 Arc User
    zokir said:

Finally.

Your signature says all it needs to
  • Options
    hmdq#4491 hmdq Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    Another cash grab "Not justified by the difficulty of the endgame" or something that just will benefit retirees abusers. Im tired of reporting and see the same people mocking face cryptic and that does nothing. In the end what matters is the quarterly profit! so buy a loot of keys!
  • Options
    urlord283urlord283 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    Also, Can we somehow upgrade our older legendary mount to have a combat bonus?

Even if we have to buy a "Kit" with Zen or AD.
  • Options
    darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    I think it benefits everyone who has hung onto a green event mount. More bag space, and the possibility of having any mount you like the looks of to move at the fastest speed you have unlocked on that character.

My TR will be happy to have epic speed on her Pig, and my CW will be overjoyed to dust off her Gelatinous Cube.

Thank you devs!
  • Options
    oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    Will hold judgement until someone announces how to get the 140% speed.
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    hquadros said:

Another cash grab "Not justified by the difficulty of the endgame" or something that just will benefit retirees abusers. Im tired of reporting and see the same people mocking face cryptic and that does nothing. In the end what matters is the quarterly profit! so buy a loot of keys!

You can keep on looking at people with leg mounts with jealousy. I'll enjoy some crappy green mounts at epic movement speed.

• Options
    gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Awesome. Now I can get back my Armoured Polar Bear and send back to the stable the oversized chicken I'm using now!!!
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • Options
    hmdq#4491 hmdq Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    ghoulz66 said:

hquadros said:

You can keep on looking at people with leg mounts with jealousy. I'll enjoy some crappy green mounts at epic movement speed.

Not jealous, but ashamed that still insist on part of it, yes. btw see the bonus of tenser...
  • Options
    xveganroxxveganrox Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    Has Cryptic been reading my diary? Because for a long time now there's nothing in-game I've wanted more than for my Blue-Ribbon Pig to be viable. I mean, he won a blue ribbon, he clearly deserves to be out and showing it off.
  • Options
    psistarprimepsistarprime Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    I'm really looking forward to this change. I personally like to have as much control over the visual aspect of my characters as possible. Now I won't have to spend millions of AD training up a green mount that just fits the image I have in mind for a toon.

I notice that the photo shows the Emperor Beetle with a passive and combat ability. In fact the combat ability specifically mentions the beetle and the name Imperious Stomp is a direct reference to the beetle. I do not believe that the beetle currently has a combat power while placed in the mount spot, so this gives me hope that they are adding additional abilities to the older mounts. If this is the case, it will be awesome, since I can only think of 3 mounts (Flail Snail, Axe Beak, and Gas Spore) that currently grant such abilities.

For those people who do not currently have access to 110 mounts, it is pretty easy to convert AD to Zen and purchase one account wide unlock without the need to grab your wallet. Legendary speed of 140 should remain rare. There is a reason these mounts are limited to lockbox drops. You might have to drop some cash on keys, but this game will cease to exist if there it doesn't generate revenue. Investors and developers need to be paid in order to continue doing their jobs.
  • Options
    jagermeister9jagermeister9 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    It never fails to amaze me how many people complain about a positive change. This is all good.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    urlord283 said:

Also, Can we somehow upgrade our older legendary mount to have a combat bonus?

This concern will very likely be addressed in a later blog post. They are already taking discrepancies between various existing mounts into consideration in the new system.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    ghoulz66 said:

I have never been so glad to have hung onto the ashen brindle horse from when they gave it away. It's quite pretty.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited February 2016

It never fails to amaze me how many people complain about a positive change. This is all good.

well for now i only got an answer by a single player assuring rich playing wont be running around with 20k stats more.
    if this is not true, you can clearly see the problem....

if the whole thing is reduced to buy 5 zen mounts for all your alts we can at least call the rework economically affordable but take a look at those insigna bonuses... the power creep is real. Positive change? yes, with a considerable amount of power creep and cash grab.

really take a look at those bonuses and you will start to ask yourself if regen nerf was really THAT necessary
  • Options
    veerwingveerwing Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    To whom it may concern:

Are you basing the "skins" available to your character off what they have in their collection (achievements) or what they have in their inventory at the time of the patch? Because one thing that I've done over the years is "throw away" the useless mounts that have taken up too much space. If you're basing it off collection, then this is awesome... If you're basing it off of inventory, what a hassle to try and go back and "get" that skin for an option.

Regards,

Veerwing
  • Options
    One question I hope will be addressed in a coming blog is how the new system will accommodate Underdark mount affinity (works from the stable tab?). I know this is all of one mount right now, but there could end up being more, and equipment affinity might be something they want to continue developing in future modules.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    veerwing said:

To whom it may concern:

Are you basing the "skins" available to your character off what they have in their collection (achievements) or what they have in their inventory at the time of the patch? Because one thing that I've done over the years is "throw away" the useless mounts that have taken up too much space. If you're basing it off collection, then this is awesome... If you're basing it off of inventory, what a hassle to try and go back and "get" that skin for an option.

Regards,

Veerwing

Since they are creating a bag specifically for the mounts to be stored, my feeling is that it will be only those you have on you. Otherwise, they might as well make every mount skin an account wide unlock, because that is all that will happen (grab a mount, trigger the achievement, get the skin, move mount to next char, rinse, repeat).

To be clear, I think the collection thing (or a similar type of skin storage) is how they SHOULD do it (see STO), or at the very least if you equipped it and then destroyed it, you keep the skin (many games). But this opens the floodgates for to many things that they probably don't have the time to do (storing skins for weapons, companions, mounts, armor,fashion, etc).

Another clarity...I think this Mount thing is an awesome change and I am glad I got the Starry Panther mount for Winter Fest (among many others) that I was keeping just in case. Its awesome when "just in case" comes around in good scenarios.

FYI, for those thinking "oo, quick, hit the AH and buy a legendary....."...prepare to pay 7m. Those skins and 140% speed is now at that and rising.