test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[PC] Game Crash to Desktop and Client Freezes.

Comments

• Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2015

zebular said:

l3thin4th said:

linaduin said:

I'm kinda glad to know that at least it isn't just me. It started a day after I upgraded to Win10 (2-3 days ago) and thought that could be the problem (evil Microsoft!). I should have guessed it was just NWO. I've stopped using Maelstrom in HEs and instances - too dangerous. The game freezes at exactly the same point each time - just as the CW's hands come together above the head at the end of the animation. I still use it tentatively in solo landscape where it's never caused a freeze (so far). It's a pity 'coz it's my favorite daily.

considering that 1-2 ppl crash in each skirm run (either at the joining or during it), I would say that it regards 20 to 40% of the server..
    Not saying this isn't an issue worth some looking into, but your percentage is quite flawed as the majority of players are either not at end-game and/or do not skirmish all the time. Such figures are relative to the number of people running a given skirmish at any given time, which would no where near be the whole server to adequate such proposed figure.
    Worth "SOME" looking into? All the in game channels are filled with reports of client freezes... Our guild is averaging 25 to 30 on most of the time... and hardly anyone wants to run anything more challenging than HE's right now because of this. Everyone I know in game is having issues. And it's only worth "SOME" looking into?

The game is broken... for many its unplayable. I know some that were planning on spending the holiday weekend playing here, and have since left to do something else because of it.

And the fact that the development team left us hanging over a holiday weekend with nothing official from anyone but Strum and his statement that "They are aware and looking into it"... is deplorable.

zebular said:

l3thin4th said:

linaduin said:

I'm kinda glad to know that at least it isn't just me. It started a day after I upgraded to Win10 (2-3 days ago) and thought that could be the problem (evil Microsoft!). I should have guessed it was just NWO. I've stopped using Maelstrom in HEs and instances - too dangerous. The game freezes at exactly the same point each time - just as the CW's hands come together above the head at the end of the animation. I still use it tentatively in solo landscape where it's never caused a freeze (so far). It's a pity 'coz it's my favorite daily.

considering that 1-2 ppl crash in each skirm run (either at the joining or during it), I would say that it regards 20 to 40% of the server..
    Not saying this isn't an issue worth some looking into, but your percentage is quite flawed as the majority of players are either not at end-game and/or do not skirmish all the time. Such figures are relative to the number of people running a given skirmish at any given time, which would no where near be the whole server to adequate such proposed figure.
    Worth "SOME" looking into? All the in game channels are filled with reports of client freezes... Our guild is averaging 25 to 30 on most of the time... and hardly anyone wants to run anything more challenging than HE's right now because of this. Everyone I know in game is having issues. And it's only worth "SOME" looking into?

The game is broken... for many its unplayable. I know some that were planning on spending the holiday weekend playing here, and have since left to do something else because of it.

And the fact that the development team left us hanging over a holiday weekend with nothing official from anyone but Strum and his statement that "They are aware and looking into it"... is deplorable.

THIS +100. A serious enough problem to have merited at least 3 different threads that I have seen so far, with multiple posts in each, and I myself have experienced it & heard from several guildies of these issues (as have apparently quite a few others in their own guilds)...and the statement that precipitates a response from a moderator has to do with "flawed PERCENTAGES" lol? Wow, talk about skewed priorities...
    Statements by Moderators in any color other than orange are non-official and are considered personal posts. What I find deplorable is having my words picked apart and dismissed or associated as some official response. As our Rules & Policies and Guidelines state, the font color I used does not denote an official response.

I am sorry you may not like what I have to say but in all honesty, I personally am not seeing "a lot" of people being affected by this. I hear of folks but that's just a small number and looking through the forum threads and then counting how many I have heard have this issue in game, I'd estimate that number to be around 50 people and that is being generous, for some reports are so vague that the user's issue could really be anything else. So yes, it is worth some looking into. I do not feel it is worth the entire Cryptic and PWE Team looking into, but some. That is the meaning of some, not all but some. Let's not get hung up and be silly about a word please.

Regardless, Cryptic has crash detection systems and if their system isn't spotting this as a major issue, then there's more than likely a multi-factor issue going on here and out of all my years of gaming and computer experience, I am leaning to believe that this current issue is one related to Graphics Drivers, Windows Updates, and or DirectX Updates which all directly and indirectly affect Client Builds and would further explain why such would appear after a game Patch. This is also then further supported by the reports of players who changed graphics settings around, updated and/or rolled back graphics drivers, did windows and directx updates, which resulted in no more crashes or a noticeable lessening of the amount of crashes.

• Options
    rapo973rapo973 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 831 Arc User
    crashed 3 times at Demo: impossible to play
    This company should get an award as the best bug generator in the world.

Oltreverso guild leader
    Maga Othelma - DC | Svalvolo - SW | Dente Avvelenato- GWF
  • Options
    rapo973rapo973 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 831 Arc User
    crashing, crashing and crashing again at Demogorgon and randomy in other zones.

Oltreverso guild leader
    Maga Othelma - DC | Svalvolo - SW | Dente Avvelenato- GWF
  • Options
    capkokocapkoko Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 90 Arc User
    I suffer this too many times and more oddly, whenever i use maelstrom my game freezes and crashes. I had freeezes too when entering new skirmishes and Demorgon DD until i changed my vorpal for another enchant (finger croshed). After the change the crashes are only if i use that specific daily what is very odd. So if you had freezes see if you are using a vorpal enchant or try if some especific daily triggers the crash as for now it seems some lighting effects are affected (in my experience). I tried all the encounters and the other daylies and no other produce the freeze,only maelstrom.
  • Options
    karakla1karakla1 Member Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    zokir said:

Still unable to log on to my main character at all. Would be nice to get an update on this.

I think not before monday.
    plat.png
    Platypus wielding a giant hammer, your argument is invalild!
  • Options
    kurtb88kurtb88 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 597 Arc User
    I am sorry to pressure Cryptic but you must address this crashing ASAP, not weeks from now. I crashed twice already in the first 30 min gameplay. First time I was just standing at Green dragon in a group of plsyers in WoD waiting for the Dragon Herald to spawn, and the game froze. Then again maybe 10min later I was fighting the blue dragon with a group in Rothe valley and it froze. Both times I must reboot the game and both times the encounter was ruined because when the game reboots I am sent to a different map instance. These game freezes are DESTROYING my ability to play the game.
  • Options
    olegius88olegius88 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 80 Arc User
    I also have some issues with the new nVidia driver version 359.00... This game just crashes all the time... Its not only on me, my Guildies also have the same Issue... I tried the older version of nVidia driver and the newest... nothing help... Pls take a look into this important issue...
    Mainclass: DC
    Mainchar: Mr. Shu
    :cool:
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    olegius88 said:

I also have some issues with the new nVidia driver version 359.00... This game just crashes all the time... Its not only on me, my Guildies also have the same Issue... I tried the older version of nVidia driver and the newest... nothing help... Pls take a look into this important issue...

try 353.62
  • Options
    Game crashed again while i was standing at an NPC in town, Icewind Dale.
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    lirithiel said:

I stopped updating my graphics driver months ago. Every single driver I installed after March 2015 (v.347.88) crashes the game and gives errors. Game runs fine for the most part with that driver version for some reason.

Heh, glad I haven't updated mine in 2 years!
  • Options
    chaosweaver83chaosweaver83 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    Interesting that some people have crash issues while others do not. I have certainly had crashes in this game before, but nothing recently, in fact not one since Underdark that I can think of. The most I've had recently is some server not responding issues (sometimes bad ones) but it hasn't crashed the game.
  • Options

Interesting that some people have crash issues while others do not. I have certainly had crashes in this game before, but nothing recently, in fact not one since Underdark that I can think of. The most I've had recently is some server not responding issues (sometimes bad ones) but it hasn't crashed the game.

\

after all those crashes I played crash free for an hour completing all the IWD quests and Heroics. It seems like the crashing is totally random. I don't understand what causes it.

• Options
    aimeesellersaimeesellers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I will wait to hear from Cryptic on the issue. Thanks for all your support.
    Post edited by aimeesellers on
    A'Mie Stormshield (GF) / A'Mie Stormshard (CW)
    Play Legit or Quit
    PandorasMisfits_Logo_175_zpskpytcqxc.png
    Pandora's Misfits Guild Leader
  • Options
    inyawayupdeepinyawayupdeep Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 206 Arc User
    AM also having freezup crashing problems yesterday and today doing kessels and WoD demon heroics
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    I fixed it by rolling back my nvidia drivers to 353.62
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator

kurtb88, try to go back to dx9 instead of dx11 inside of game settings. I heard that is a temporary fix. People are suggesting it may be CW's maelstrom ability, but others have said other abilities may be the cause. The issue is that some ability or some abilities have been changed and a lot of people are getting game freezes. Expect a fix in about 4 years.

Possibly two weeks, kreatyve? With all due respect, are you f-ing kidding me? They were able to do a patch on a Tuesday so they could all go home for Thanksgiving...they can &^&% well do another one next Tuesday to roll it the %^%$ back.
    I can guarantee you that they won't do a rollback. I honestly don't think that it will be 2 weeks for them to fix it. Most likely they will fix it on Thursday when they patch, but I don't know what the problem is, and I don't know if they know exactly what it is or how complicated it would be to fix it. I do know that it's only affecting a small but vocal part of the playerbase. I myself have crashed twice since the last patch, however I was able to get back in with minimal problems both times, so I think might have been on my end.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    kreatyve said:

kurtb88, try to go back to dx9 instead of dx11 inside of game settings. I heard that is a temporary fix. People are suggesting it may be CW's maelstrom ability, but others have said other abilities may be the cause. The issue is that some ability or some abilities have been changed and a lot of people are getting game freezes. Expect a fix in about 4 years.

Possibly two weeks, kreatyve? With all due respect, are you f-ing kidding me? They were able to do a patch on a Tuesday so they could all go home for Thanksgiving...they can &^&% well do another one next Tuesday to roll it the %^%$ back.
    I can guarantee you that they won't do a rollback. I honestly don't think that it will be 2 weeks for them to fix it. Most likely they will fix it on Thursday when they patch, but I don't know what the problem is, and I don't know if they know exactly what it is or how complicated it would be to fix it. I do know that it's only affecting a small but vocal part of the playerbase. I myself have crashed twice since the last patch, however I was able to get back in with minimal problems both times, so I think might have been on my end.
    It'll probably take multiple fixes since this is probably multiple issues that people are assuming are one issue. Some people are probably looking at months before Cryptic fixes whatever is causing their crashes. They're much better off trying to find a workaround like the people that are rolling back their drivers. People seem to assume that game devs can just wave a magic wand and fix everyones' problems but it's never that simple.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    sybndarsybndar Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    On my HR client locks up in Vellosk when the werewolf storm callers cast their lightning attack. So far it has locked up every time.
  • Options
    urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    sybndar said:

I seem to crash more often with the demonic HEs. Started up in WoD today and went to instance for dragon run. On the way out, hit the HE where you try to keep the demons from entering the center. Client locked up, pulled up task manager and the neverwinter client was using 42% of the CPU. Killed the process and restarted the client.

Was running Nvidia 358 drivers for a while no issues until after the patch, updated to the 359 driver and have not seen any improvement.

I mostly have problems running demonic HEs in WoD when Heralds are up so I just stop running them at X:45.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    linaduinlinaduin Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    kurtb88 said:

after all those crashes I played crash free for an hour completing all the IWD quests and Heroics. It seems like the crashing is totally random. I don't understand what causes it.

Just wondering if you restarted your computer between the crashes and the hour of good play? I went from occasional screen freezes when using Maelstrom to every toon freezing occasionally and my CW not even being able to enter IWD and mount a horse without it freezing. I restarted my computer (not just the game client) and had a couple of hours of normal play - even Maelstrom was working with no problems. Previously I had just restarted the client and continued to have problems.
  • Options
    So here is what I found on my end... maybe this will help others:

My drivers were a year old at the time of the last patch. After the crashing started, I updated.. thinking it would help. Instead it made it worse. So I rolled them back.

If I put the client into safe mode I was having no issues.... which is basically all graphics settings off or at minimum.
    After playing around with the settings I have shadows completely turned off... and have not had a crash since last night... and that is with using Maelstrom frequently. I have not tried running eGWD or Malabogs again though, and we could not get through either of those before when dealing with the large "lightning" effects. I say we... in that I was not the only one crashing due to them.

So it seems turning shadows completely off is a viable workaround to the issue for me, at least until they fix whatever they did on Tuesday. Hopefully it will stay that way.
    Play Legit or Quit
  • Options
    Spoke too soon... just tried Epic Demogorgon... first use of maelstrom and the client froze up.
    Play Legit or Quit
  • Options
    palad1n2palad1n2 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    Kreatyve, if you are saying its a small but vocal player base I have to disagree. I have never had any trouble with this game but since this last patch my game has been freezing up like it's Armegeddon. I am currently in the 7th freeze in a row just trying to log into the game. I get to character select, pick a toon, and......freeze, close game client, try to get back in. This has been happening since the patch. There is nothing wrong with my computer, i've been working in the computer industry for almost 20 years and this is all on you guys. Please, for my sanity, fix this asap. I love your game, but this crashing HAMSTER is geting very old, VERY fast.
  • Options
    I was just frozen out of eGWD for the 8th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! time in a less than 15 min. This is ridiculous. I have been kicked out of 3 Demogorgon runs due to freezing and having to reboot the game client and now I can't even run anything....I lfroze just standing in SH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Make that 9......i can keep going. Please don't imply that it's something we are doing wrong Kreatyve, 'cause that's what it seemed like to me. There is something broken in the game.
  • Options
    zokirzokir Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    I've tried logging onto my main character from 3 different computers, with 2 different internet providers. I've restarted my computer, re-installed Neverwinter, tried safe mode, tried clearing some files someone suggested.. Nothing works.

I cannot believe that this is an issue with graphics drivers, as no matter what computer I use, my game crashes when I try to log onto my main character.

I only play the game on my one character. All of my other characters are useless level 60 alts, which I thankfully have ranked up to 7 in my guild, otherwise the problem would affect more than just myself.

If there is any way to lose players in a game, taking two weeks to update issues where people are unable to even log in to the game is it.
    zokir.png
    Hyenas@zokir - Essence of Aggression
  • Options
    jaystrides1jaystrides1 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    I'm in the same boat as Zokir, i only have 1 main which i cannot get onto, i try load it up but all it does is freeze. My other toons i dont play

One and only Krispynator

• Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    palad1n2 said:

Make that 9......i can keep going. Please don't imply that it's something we are doing wrong Kreatyve, 'cause that's what it seemed like to me. There is something broken in the game.

I'm sorry if you thought I was implying that any of you are doing something wrong. That was not my intention at all. It is obviously an issue with the game, however it is not affecting all the players. Just some.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    kiraskytowerkiraskytower Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

palad1n2 said:

I'm sorry if you thought I was implying that any of you are doing something wrong. That was not my intention at all. It is obviously an issue with the game, however it is not affecting all the players. Just some.
    It's likely affecting more than you think. I know I was being affected by it yesterday as were a number of my guild members. We all turned our graphics settings down as far as they would go and the problem more or less went away. But after the Dragonflight run we did yesterday we probably had 12 of the 32 people on turn down their graphics settings so they wouldn't crash. That was after many members of the guild had already turned their settings down (like @aimeesellers above). I would guess it's affecting between a third and a half of the playerbase.
    Winter Lily (CW) / Winter Rose (DC) / Winter Ivy (HR)
  • Options
    regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Well, i crashed yesterday several times in PE, while i was just upgrading my companions, but later i could run Demogorgon and a few demon HEs in DR without any trouble.

I could even log out just fine.
    I have no clue, what is going on here with the game...

Edit: ... and a freeze in DR during the third demon HE right now, btw. i didn't get any reward from the first HE too.
    Post edited by regenerde on
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!