test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Downfall of the Solo player ( the quick version LOL )

13»

Comments

• skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    MMO - massive multiplayer online.

It's not MSO - massive soloing online.

The game is designed to ensure some socialization, and co-operation just like the old tabletop AD&D. I like that.

Imagine sitting around a table on a Saturday night with all the books, a dungeon drawn out, and then staring at it expecting it to interact with you. Not very successful.

I knew this was coming.

• theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User
    MMOs have various levels of solo friendliness. NWO used to be high levle solo friendliness. Now it's not. The people who liked that old dynamic are upset that the dynamic was changed on them.

Saying "IT'S AN MMO YOU'RE PLAYING IT WRONG" is just all sorts of sophomoric thinking. A much better argument is "a solo friendly game won't make sales; Cryptic has to appeal to us crazy evil people who wanna force solo players into group play kihihihi" would be a little better :P
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,046 Arc User
    They could just offer Strongholds in small, medium and big.
    Problem solved.
    Any big guild with the max. amount of "active" players would still get their oversized benefits.
    But any medium and small guild would at least see some medium and small benefits from their Strongholds too.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • aratecharatech Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 269 Arc User
    regenerde wrote: »
    Problem solved.
    Any big guild with the max. amount of "active" players would still get their oversized benefits.
    But any medium and small guild would at least see some medium and small benefits from their Strongholds too.

Doesn't address the core symptoms and still leaves the small and medium guilds to get hosed on by the bigger ones, or to get gobbled up by them and disappear. Since otherwise, they will always be operating at a disadvantage.
    edited August 2015
    aratech wrote: »
    Problem solved.
    Doesn't address the core symptoms and still leaves the small and medium guilds to get hosed on by the bigger ones, or to get gobbled up by them and disappear. Since otherwise, they will always be operating at a disadvantage.
    Yes, but it would at least be a start, and i doubt that we even will get that out of the Devs...
    It's go big, or go get your credit card and start buying Stronghold packs from the auction house and/or ZEN shop to get your small/medium guild into shape.
    Want to know why?
  • ddosuksddosuks Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Thank you all for the posts from both sides of the arguement, and to the one's who say things like "its MMO not MSO" The mall has hundreds of people in it, but telling customers you cant come in or shop in the good areas unless you have at least 5 people is throwing business away, which is exactly what Cryptic is doing, that was my point plain and simple. There should be options to run solo or with a team. You CAN have both, many games have it and from the business side of the company, you absolutely should ( a company which was taken over last month July 28 by their parent company because of poor finances and a loss of roughly 800 mil in profit from 2013 till now, and please look it up before you run your mouth to dispute these facts ).
    Currently what you have is, Shun and alienate one type of player, <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> the wallet of the other, and call it free to play and MMO as your argument, yet a loss of millions and last months merger ( actual takeover ) because of financial loss is the reality here.
    Not to mention how most of the new content is not so good ( even though I just did ) and that especially includes Strongholds.
    Again, wake up Cryptic. ( notice I said Cryptic, so unless your sleeping with one of the developers, anyone not working at Cryptic or Perfect World has no need to feel like they were insulted ).
    And yes I will have some cheese with my whine.
    Why am I even bothering ? this could have been a great game but poor business and developing decisions prove it may not even have a future and some of you may like or be willing to settle for less quality and say nothing, but i'm not.

Anyway,
    It no longer matters for me personally, as a player who mainly solo's 75% of the time because I may have to stop on a moments notice (Fireman who plays from work and a baby at home that at times needs immediate attention at those waking up crying times) I am done with Neverwinter. There is simply not enough quality here for that 25% of the time I do play with my guild or other players.
    With all that said I have not played DDO for many years and a few weeks ago decided to see how they have been coming along. And so far, I would highly recommend it to both sides. Good luck to you all.

edited August 2015
    In short, there is no place for solo players in NWO anymore.
    Underdark won't change that.
    My guess, Underdark will be "balanced" on guild with either all or most benefits maxed out.
    In other words, small guilds might find themself in trouble then too...
    Want to know why?
  • luisandluisand Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    My guess, Underdark will be "balanced" on guild with either all or most benefits maxed out.

Indeed Underdark will be balanced on all guild boons. Then when people complain, they will release a ZEN option to unlock theese boons :wink:

That is offcourse, if there is even any players left by then.

Finally a proud member of The Lower Depths of Neverwinter.
    Well, they are allready selling Stronghold kits in the ZEN shop, but who knows... they might even add more of them to the shop in the future.
    Want to know why?
  • humorisbenefithumorisbenefit Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    lirithiel wrote: »
    @angrysprite is correct. Wait until Mod 8 - it will only be three months or so before all those who just got their shiny new artifact weapons will have to replace them once again.

Do you even hear yourselves? Show me at least 1 geniune way to procure enough AD/RP for the "shiny new" in the time frame of a single module? In the past we farmed dungeons, scrapped purples for AD, we had more AD dailies, we had Dragon Hoards that dropped reasonable amounts of bound RP stones thru normal gameplay. What do we have now - forced login leadership?!

What type of player has bis gear every new module? What type of player can afford a new orange Artifact MH+OH every few months? The consistent inconsistency is whats killing this game. Bring new equipment sure, but also bring more and more ways to procure the raw items needed for that equipment. Also dont just render the old gear obsolete when it takes so much effort to level it.

So, what type of player can be bis here? => botter, whale, old-time cheater/exploiter and old-time Leaderships army guy. Which one are you? How many of you are there? Are you enough to keep Nvw online and where does the casual gamer with a normal monthly gaming budget fit in all this? So many questions, so little dev response...

Whatever
    How true words...
  • muuli01muuli01 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    luisand wrote: »

Indeed Underdark will be balanced on all guild boons. Then when people complain, they will release a ZEN option to unlock theese boons :wink:

That is offcourse, if there is even any players left by then.
    Well, they are allready selling Stronghold kits in the ZEN shop, but who knows... they might even add more of them to the shop in the future.

I´d like buy lvl20 Strongholds ZEN -kit and players can join... only 500K AD per month fee, good deal.... :)

• tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 305 Arc User

Solo player returns in Mod 8. Strongholds is nothing but a Saturday Special. Get over it already.

2 Mods too late my good whale, much too late. ;)
  • klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I expect them to be nerfing the Stronghold obscene requirements in mod 8 or mod 9, when they notice that the biggest guilds have reached the top and hence the spending will decline dramatically.
    What I would like to see if a way for small casual guilds and unguilded players to get something more out of this mod.
    Unguilded soloers really got no content from this mod and that's really unfair on them.
    Small casual guild will never reach the best benefit. My guild has been at it for a week and we don't have a farm yet. -.-'. I've seen requirements for rank 10 warehouse only (not even a needed structure I think), and I think that at our current rithm it would take us one year for that rank alone. Yes, I'm aware that the only way to solve this is inviting more people and I'm working on that, but still, it's absurd.
    What I would like to see:

1) A way for non-guild players to access Stronghold content (gear, boons and pvp) through temporary mercenary contracts. Their method would be less efficient (with Zen to speed up *winks*) than the standard one.
    2) Some kind of feature to throw a bone to small casual guilds like:
    - Excess resources tradable between guilds. (I give you X gems, you give me Y treasure of tiranny, or viceversa).
    - Possibility of multiple smaller guilds of cooperating together (like in pvp, but for pve as well), for example if I invite a player from another guild in my party, he can enter my stronghold and do quests and heroic encounters with me, he can't contribute to coffers of course. (and this could be applied to non-guilded players as well).
    tinead51 said:

Solo player returns in Mod 8. Strongholds is nothing but a Saturday Special. Get over it already.

2 Mods too late my good whale, much too late. ;)
    Well, not only too late, but also what would be the point in returning to NWO by then, when you would need a big guild and all the benefits from it to even get into Underdark?
    Want to know why?
  • luisandluisand Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    Imagine if that other MMO ( the first mmo ever :wink: ) decided to make an expansion, where to even enter you had to be in a guild, and if you wanted to progress you had to have alot of active members donating both their time and resources. Resources that could be spent on improving their character. And to get many of theese resources, you would have to grind the same few rewardless encounters and do daylies in old zones.

I don't think their forums would survive. They would simply implode.
    Finally a proud member of The Lower Depths of Neverwinter.
    edited August 2015
    Well in most MMOs the Devs work hard, to get more players into the game, and they even try to make sure that new players find an easy and fast path to the glorious "endgame"... and i'm not talking about buying XB boosters.

They also add new content to the game, and if they remove some lower level content, then mostly only to bring it back reworked right away. Or they offer several different versions of the same dungeon, but with rewards fitting to the difficulty.

Not to mention, that when you reach max. level, most MMOs offer more to the players, then just a handfull of options to keep you bussy and interested in loggin in again.

You can add faster bug fixing, better game server stability, or even a reliable customer support to that list.

Anyway, this would also explain, why most other MMOs have a lot more active players running around in them, even with a real subscription required to play it.
    And giving the option to play solo or in a group, guild, alliance, organisation, or whatever it may be named, doesn't have to exclude on or the other way of playing a game.
    Post edited by regenerde on
    Want to know why?
This discussion has been closed.