test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Returning CW needs advice

ponquponqu Member Posts: 50 Arc User
Helo.
I am just getting back to the game and i have my CW at lvl 44. I red that there have been a lot of changes to all the classes, so i'm looking for some build. I tried to find something similar to how my points are already spent, so i could leave my free respec token for later, but i'm not sure that will work. (magic missile and strom pillar as at-wills, oppresive force and ice storm dailys and sudden storm, conduit of ice, entangling storm and chill strike encounters is what i have in my loadout and most points spent.)
Especially since i don't know if there will be some more changes coming in the stronghold update.
So are there any good builds that utilise skills i already have, or there are nerfed?
mostly what i've seen are people refering to ironzerg79 spellstorm renegade build. is it really that good and you think it will stay good justyfiying using respec token for it?

Comments

• romotheoneromotheone Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 729 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    It is currently the best build in terms of overall efficiency.
  • jugger71jugger71 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    This is a myth. It is not the best build. It is the best build if you roll with a single CW in your party. A second rene in your party is a waste and the party would benefit far more by the control a Thauma/Oppressor brings to the table. Everyone is a rene these days so I feel quite comfortable rolling with my Thauma/Oppressor build.
    Post edited by jugger71 on
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    Lol what do you mean by more control? If you are talking Oppressor....lots of Renes run Icy Veins.
    edited August 2015
    jugger71 wrote: »
    This is a myth. It is not the best build. It is the best build if you roll with a single CW in your party. A second rene in your party is a waste and the party would benefit far more by the control a Thauma brings to the table. Everyone is a rene these days so I feel quite comfortable rolling with my Thauma/Oppressor build.

Okay, what other CW build deals as much damage, buffs for the same amount and controls just as much while being on par with the first 2 criteria?

Also, what control does a Thaumaturge bring to the table? All that tree has is damage multipliers and Spell Twisting
    edited August 2015
    Did you read my post? More than 1 rene in a party is a waste. I deal more damage and have better control than a rene. Now if I were a rene as well, I might as well not be there.

My point is, rene is not the end all be all. There is room for other builds and actually desired.
  • aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    Zergs build is very good.
    edited August 2015
    Did you read my post? More than 1 rene in a party is a waste. I deal more damage and have better control than a rene. Now if I were a rene as well, I might as well not be there.

Would you mind going into details about what additional control a Thaum CW has over a Renegade?
  • aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    I bet you'd like it more if you swapped out EotS for Storm Spell.
    Storm Spell and Chilling is still the highest DPS class features by far.
    edited August 2015
    Oh awesome. And Icy Veins is a waste if you run with Sudden Storm. Listen to these forum warriors at you own peril...

Ok, for giggles I did a little further investigation. If in fact Ironzergs build is THE build(and considering how many pages it has generated in posts I would suggest it is) then most renes are NOT running oppressor feats. His build recommends Thaum feats.

As I stated before, which was casually ignored in favor of trolling, rene is the best build if you are a single cw in a party. A second rene is redundant and a Thauma/Oppressor cw is preferable.
    Post edited by jugger71 on
    edited August 2015
    Using a certain team composition doesn't change the fact that the build he has in his guide, has the highest overall efficiency. We could turn around your argument and say, I would rather take a Renegade with me than a Thaum. Adds a lot more to the team.
    The OP asked for advise...several of us gave our advise and corrected statements that simply are not true (Trauma has more control than Rene). No need to be hostile towards the unclean Renegade masses...lol
    edited August 2015
    My word, you guys jumped on me almost immediately with your rene bandwagon. I'll refer you to my first post. Pardon me for not including "Thauma/Oppressor"...

Simmer down guys.

I honestly dont even know why I even post here... You guys are nasty.

• ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    @jugger71 Relax. I get what you're saying. The buffs from the Renegades don't stack, so yes, having two in a party is a bit redundant, but you can say that about any class, really.

The fact is that unless you're running with the same group of people all the time, and you can 100% count on one of them always being a Renegade CW, then it makes a lot of sense to stick with the Renegade build yourself. And even then, it's still very strong and no group should struggle to clear any content in the game right now with two Renegades in the party.

But to that point, I am a strong believer that the Thaumaturge tree is much better for the first 15 points than the Oppressor tree, and also believe that it does give you more overall control.

The advantage of Spell Twisting over Icy Veins is that you can cast encounters faster, which gives you a higher uptime on Conduit of Ice, Icy Terrain, and Steal Time (which is also substantially more DPS). And by casting more spells faster, you gain AP much faster, which means you're casting Oppressive Force faster. Icy Veins is an ok feat for leveling, when you're always in the middle of things, but for end-game dungeon builds I think it's a trap.

It sounds really, really good, but it's not actually that good. A 15' range is basically melee range, very danger to stay in for CWs, and it's useless on boss mobs and non-CCable mobs, which is where the substantial boost in DPS from Spell Twisting shines.

Overall, Icy Veins is a good "trash clearing" feat, but everyone here should know my feelings on building for trash encounters...
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • madnitezzmadnitezz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 36 Arc User
    Well I can see Jugger's point here: Thaum(Spell Twisting) with Icy Vein yields the best control by short cooldown and instafreeze, has good personal damage but lose out in group buff. No other combination of two feats can give better control than that.

I am a Rene/Icy Vein cryomancer. I find this a more interesting build than Rene/Spell Twisting because I can engage more actively in fights. Thanks to icy vein and severe reaction, I can jump in and out at a group of mobs and instafreeze them, sometimes if I dont have a tank I can even initiate a fight. My Icy Terrain is "empowered" and my freeze is more predictable. I definitely do better than a Rene/Spell Twisting on controllable mobs. But when it comes to boss fight where control is useless, I will lose out to Rene/Spell Twisting in term of dps.

To summarize my thoughts: Thaum/Icy Vein, Rene/Icy Vein and Rene/Spell Twisting are all viable. They have their own pros and cons. Pick the one suits your play style well.

**Chaos magic: you cant have stacks of same type of chaos magic, but you can have different types of chaos magics at the same time. So 2 renegades in a party or raid is not always a bad thing.

• legion10398legion10398 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    My word, you guys jumped on me almost immediately with your rene bandwagon. I'll refer you to my first post. Pardon me for not including "Thauma/Oppressor"...

Simmer down guys.

I honestly dont even know why I even post here... You guys are nasty.

Yeah they get heated. Idk, I've run several builds this module, nothing really stuck. I decided to leave my CW alone for a little while and try to improve other characters. Honestly, go with what you want. If you want to go for debuffing and such, probably renegade or thaumaturge is best at that. If you want to control everything to death, go oppressor. It's all viable. I prefer having a Thaum/Opp in a guild run, but that's mainly because I like sitting there and destroying mobs while they can't do anything. I know a lot of people prefer renegade in every situation, and I don't blame them. But yeah, they do get quite nasty if you go against the vein. Me, I like the people on the HR and GF forums a lot more (except Anty-boy, he just whines :p).
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    It's not so much that people are testy, it's just that a lot of this stuff has been pretty extensively tested, and when people come in here to offer an opinion with zero evidence to support it, then get mad when people question them, it is a tiny bit irritating.

You can play the game however you want. I have no problem with that. But when someone asks "What is the best?" there are some legitimately clear (and proven) answers to that question that aren't just an opinion.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • madnitezzmadnitezz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 36 Arc User
    "What is the best?" The answer differs depending on how the individual defines it.
    "What is the most effective build in current meta?" is more objective and measurable.

:)
    I have plenty of data, files and files of ACT. Your Rene build and a Thaum/Opp is optimal in a party. I still stand by my first post. Yes, I in fact did state the Rene is the best if you are solo in a party. However it is not the best as a second cw. Therefore there is plenty of room for other builds.

The rub started because I said "Thaum" has better control instead of "Thaum/Opp".

The nerve...
    Isnt it much nicer now talking about 1 or 2 CW parties as opposed to 3, 4 or 5 in a party? lol
    Well, truth be told...if you're designing "optimal" parties, you're not taking a 2nd CW anymore.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • ponquponqu Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Thank you all for answers.
    I did went with slightly modified ironzerg's build. Modified, because i didn't reseted any of my powers, just added some spare points whenever i can for the abilities from the build. I also noticed that i was quite heavily stacked with recovery stat. Is it still so good? Or should i prefer other, especially with enchancements? From the build i understood that primary stat to stack should be armor penetration, then crit, then power, but nowhere there i saw where recovery is in the line.
    Get your resistance ignored up to 60%, then mix power and crit.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
    Well ya, Tank, debuff DC and 3 SWs and your golden... lol
    Ponqu, recovery is not entirely necessary when you are running Spell Twisting. Dont worry about it now would be my suggestion.
    Yeah, I can barely get any at-wills in with Spell Twisting...no need for recovery.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • angrymanagementangrymanagement Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    Unless something changed with Mod 7, Spell Twisting + Icy Viens is the best control setup for a CW.
    MOF Renegade is the biggest Team DPS boost due to Rene feats + MOF debuffs.
    Unless something changed with Mod 7, Spell Twisting + Icy Viens is the best control setup for a CW.
    MOF Renegade is the biggest Team DPS boost due to Rene feats + MOF debuffs.

Agreed. If someone really wanted to amp up on control, I'd probably go full Thaum+Icy Veins, instead of full Oppressor. I don't think full Oppressor gets you much more.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • wixxgs1chtwixxgs1cht Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    Lmao how everybody hates on jugger without really bothering to a) read his posts properly and b) take a minute to think about what he's actually saying. Matter of fact: He has solid points. Everybody who played several CW builds in various party comps should know so.
    Well, he came here picking a fight. SS Renegade with Spell Twisting is the most efficient CW build right now. He said it was a myth and starts talking about "but a 2nd CW, blah blah blah...". If anything, he is the one who needs to learn to read, because
    romotheone wrote: »
    best build in terms of overall efficiency.

doesn't mean that you couldn't come up with a scenario where this build wouldn't fall behind in a certain aspect.