test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Strongholds Preview Patch Notes NW.50.20150722a.2

Comments

• instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
    I'd be okay if they wanted to release it early.. ;-)
    header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
  • balthezar2balthezar2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 151 Arc User
    YEAH! release it TODAY! B)

I wouldn't mind as long as they have everything in working order.
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    Great job @panderus and team, these are all good things. One clarification though... Which is it?
    panderus wrote: »
    Classes and Balance
    Items and Economy
    • The number of Seals of the Protector that drop from bosses in epic dungeons and skirmishes has been increased from 2 to 10.
    • The number of Seals of the Protector that drop from bosses in epic dungeons and skirmishes has been increased from 4 to 20."

asterdahl wrote: »
    While I'm all about bug fixes when and where there needed I'm still wondering what is going on the with entries I see in my combat log that read and *name* does <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> (yyy) damage to with with *encounter* where <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> is a number higher than yyy and wondering if that is going to get a fix.

What you are describing is not a bug, that's the amount of damage you're actually doing vs the (amount of damage before resistance.)

@asterdahl I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. Take this log from the post above (and ignore the high damage numbers, that's irrelevant).

[Combat (Self)] High Priestess Syndryth deals 328943 (258105) Physical Damage to you with Bite of the Spider

So...

328943 = the damage actually done
    258105 = the damage before resistance

How is that possible? This means that, in this example, on this hit, Syndryth's original hit was 258105, but after resistance was applied was somehow increased to 328943? I can accept this isn't a big... but can you (or someone) explain how this is possible? I'm (possible mistakenly) under the impression that resistance should REDUCE the amount of damage and that it's not possible any more to have negative resistance. It used to be, a long time ago, that armor pen could reduce mitigation into the negatives and thus increase the damage, but that was removed long ago...

If this isn't a bug, I'm just unclear what WAI mechanics are at at play here that cause this phenomenon. Thanks!
  • goldenregisgoldenregis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 11 Arc User
    kvet wrote: »
    @asterdahl I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. Take this log from the post above (and ignore the high damage numbers, that's irrelevant).

[Combat (Self)] High Priestess Syndryth deals 328943 (258105) Physical Damage to you with Bite of the Spider

So...

328943 = the damage actually done
    258105 = the damage before resistance

How is that possible? This means that, in this example, on this hit, Syndryth's original hit was 258105, but after resistance was applied was somehow increased to 328943? I can accept this isn't a big... but can you (or someone) explain how this is possible? I'm (possible mistakenly) under the impression that resistance should REDUCE the amount of damage and that it's not possible any more to have negative resistance. It used to be, a long time ago, that armor pen could reduce mitigation into the negatives and thus increase the damage, but that was removed long ago...

If this isn't a bug, I'm just unclear what WAI mechanics are at at play here that cause this phenomenon. Thanks!

Because of how buffs and debuffs are coded into the game, it is possible to reduce someone's DR to negative and force them to take more damage. I honestly didn't know that the enemies had debuffs in ToS, but it makes sense since the purple spider webs seem to make you die much quicker. The buff/debuff mechanics was the basis for maixmizing damage in mods 2-5, by having multiplicative and additive debuffs stacking in order to increase damage by upwards of 200%. Kaelec had a guide explaining it in more depth, but it might have been taken down since it is no longer current. I can try to explain more if this doesn't make any sense lol.
    Heh. Mod 0 player/guild, "The Jolly Rogers"
    I don't get it. I can accept it's not a bug if it's not a bug... but I don't see how damage can be HIGHER after resistance is applied. I know that up until some point, if the target has a negative mitigation, your damage would go up by that negative amount, but they patched that so mitigation couldn't be reduced past 0% (which was an appropriate fix, IMO)... so I don't understand how this can be happening now.
  • asterdahlasterdahl Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,258 Cryptic Developer
    xsayajinx1 wrote: »
    @asterdahl , @panderus
    There are rumors floating around that feytouch enchantment is getting a change/nerf whatever you wanna call it. Is there any truth to this?

There are no changes planned for feytouched with Module 7's launch.
    I don't get it. I can accept it's not a bug if it's not a bug... but I don't see how damage can be HIGHER after resistance is applied. I know that up until some point, if the target has a negative mitigation, your damage would go up by that negative amount, but they patched that so mitigation couldn't be reduced past 0% (which was an appropriate fix, IMO)... so I don't understand how this can be happening now.

I spoke with GentlemanCrush to double verify—damage resistance can indeed still be made negative. In this case, the damage inside the parenthetical will in fact be lower than the amount actually done. Think of the parenthetical as damage before any damage resistance, either positive or negative are taken into account.

Apologies for any confusion based on my original response.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited July 2015

You know how you want your character's RI total from ability score and armor pen to be optimized so that debuffs like Terror, Plaguefire, HV/HP, etc. would become damage buffs, for faster monster-melting? That's exactly how that works, your damage is amplified to *more* than it would be if you weren't already cutting through all the resistance. NPC resistance can't go below 0%, but you can get damage multipliers.

So that's what it should look like with the same rules applying to NPC vs. players... I guess.

Now, I don't know what all debuffs mobs have access to... but I do know that everything that spits poison or acid is actively debuffing you, which is why things like assassin drakes must die.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    edited July 2015
    asterdahl wrote: »

I spoke with GentlemanCrush to double verify—damage resistance can indeed still be made negative. In this case, the damage inside the parenthetical will in fact be lower than the amount actually done. Think of the parenthetical as damage before any damage resistance, either positive or negative are taken into account.

Apologies for any confusion based on my original response.

Oh! Thanks for the reply - I was under the impression this had been removed some time ago - but I guess not. Awesome, that's really good to know. Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.