test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

My healer companion attacks instead of healing me -.-

lordrhavinlordrhavin Member Posts: 160 Arc User
edited February 2015 in PvE Discussion
I play a lvl 60 guardian fighter and my companion (lvl 15 apprentice healer) has become pretty useless. instead of healing me, he attacks the mobs, even running into them and gets killed. What can be done about it?
Post edited by lordrhavin on

Comments

• Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    That's the problem with most of them. Their AI is focused on enemies and they can't do anything else after that. It's likely they auto-target, but are stuck being locked on to something until they are killed.

Just lazy programming. Nothing can be done except for the programmers themselves.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2015
    These clerics are not a pure healers. Both the Cleric Disciple and Apprentice Healer are combat clerics, as they have combat powers too.

I'd suggest to get a
    Fawn of Shiallia, as all its powers are healing powers, it has no combat abilities. It comes green and drops down healing circles and stuff and prances away from enemies, making it great for solo play. It will even prance down and follow around hurt allies in a party. Plus, they're really good if you can afford to upgrade them to purple. Oh, and they're so cute too!

The Priestess of Sune and the Battlefield Medic also are better healers than the Disciple/Apprentice for solo play, as they only do healing powers in combat.
  • Options
    joocycuzzzzzzjoocycuzzzzzz Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Watch out your comments.

He has Leeches.

OT: Any non stone/cat companion is pure garbage and a drag (When summoned). It's a fact.
    Beta player

One of the many Control Wizards that misses Shard Of The Endless Avalanche. RIP Shard (Beta-Mod3)
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If his abilities are on similar cooldowns to the old cleric disciple, then the one he can use more often is an attack that happens to have a heal attached to it. It so happens in his case that it's a melee-range attack that radiates out from him (based on the Sunburst of the playable DC).

His ability that's just a heal likely has a longer cooldown so he can't use it as often. And he has no AI that can tell him what's appropriate to do and when, just cooldowns telling him how often he can do stuff. So he's trying to use his one ability, which sorta requires him to be melee distance from whatever you're fighting.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    zebular wrote: »
    I'd suggest to get a Fawn of Shiallia, as all its powers are healing powers, it has no combat abilities. It comes green and drops down healing circles and stuff and prances away from enemies, making it great for solo play. It will even prance down and follow around hurt allies in a party. Plus, they're really good if you can afford to upgrade them to purple. Oh, and they're so cute too!

The fawn tends to work a lot better on ranged characters than melee, because a caster or archer can choose to go stand in the regen circle the fawn drops, whereas a melee type may not be able to do so (the fawn places it randomly) while maintaining reasonable positioning.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2015
    OT: Any non stone/cat companion is pure garbage and a drag (When summoned). It's a fact.
    Nah, that's an opinion, not fact, of one's gameplay style. I prefer a healing companion on my GFs than stones in solo play.
    The fawn tends to work a lot better on ranged characters than melee, because a caster or archer can choose to go stand in the regen circle the fawn drops, whereas a melee type may not be able to do so (the fawn places it randomly) while maintaining reasonable positioning.
    Not much trouble, I just back up into the circle and pull the mobs to me. The only real issue with how it lays circles is when fighting against ranged mobs that won't pull. In solo play, a ranged player will have more trouble with the circles as they'll need to move around more and not stay in a circle.
  • Options
    joocycuzzzzzzjoocycuzzzzzz Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Nah, that's an opinion, not fact, of one's gameplay style. I prefer a healing companion on my GFs than stones in solo play.]

In solo play.. key words. You can pretty much do anything in solo play if you're experienced enough. Even if the companion's dumb AI attracts mobs, you can kill them then move on without being frustrated. But newers players don't really feel this way.
    Beta player

One of the many Control Wizards that misses Shard Of The Endless Avalanche. RIP Shard (Beta-Mod3)
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    In solo play.. key words. You can pretty much do anything in solo play if you're experienced enough. Even if the companion's dumb AI attracts mobs, you can kill them then move on without being frustrated. But newers players don't really feel this way.
    Perhaps you should be more specific than when making such commentary, as I did, for you did not say anything about group play. Still, it was an opinion regardless.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Nah, that's an opinion, not fact, of one's gameplay style. I prefer a healing companion on my GFs than stones in solo play.Not much trouble, I just back up into the circle and pull the mobs to me. The only real issue with how it lays circles is when fighting against ranged mobs that won't pull. In solo play, a ranged player will have more trouble with the circles as they'll need to move around more and not stay in a circle.

Very true.

BEST Healing companions are Fawn of Shiallia (I have mine ranked up to purple/30 with level 9 Runes/23k HP) and also the Angel of Protection does an outstanding job of keeping you healed.

As for the "fact" that is nowhere near being a 'fact" about augment companions: it *can* be true that they are better with in co-op play if for no other reason than it's less lag/confusion with all those extra "bodies" running around. Beyond that: it's all a matter of preference.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Fawn is going to lose half of it's potential in mod 6.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    ghoulz66 wrote: »
    Fawn is going to lose half of it's potential in mod 6.

That reminds me to post about it. The Acolyte of Kelemvor too. Can't remember if any other companions have similar mechanics to actively buff their handler's stats.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    edited February 2015
    That reminds me to post about it. The Acolyte of Kelemvor too. Can't remember if any other companions have similar mechanics to actively buff their handler's stats.

Least she buffs you with something that can at least be used in combat.
  • Options
    icyphishicyphish Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,255 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I like my basic healer companion, they work wonderful for me~

I might consider getting a Fawn as they do look adorable, but its just too costy to bring them up to purple :(
    icydrake%20avatar2_zpsg7rp0xti.jpg

Author of GWF Speed Demon PvP Build (Mod 11) <- Click to reveal the Speedy Beast! >:)
  • Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Battlefield Medic is a great healer too and has a boost to healing active bonus to boot. My GF uses one for questing and he does a good job of keeping me alive. Only issue I have is that he sometimes tends to pull aggro and I have to run after the mob to get it off the healer companion.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Would LOVE if they would fix their stupid AI to at least cycle through their abilities instead of become stuck in agro mode and never heal in combat but alas, they never even look at these forums. So you're stuck with buying exclusive ones with no offensive powers if you're desperate for in-combat healing.

Just brilliant DEVs, just brilliant. My standard cleric can use healing word outside of a fight, but regen does that, SO DO POTIONS!
  • Options
    lucifron44lucifron44 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    lordrhavin wrote: »
    [h=2]My healer companion attacks instead of healing me
    [/h]Well at least he's not attacking you, unlike the Skyrim followers when they get hurt by friendly fire.
    The timespan of your companion is what the fight should last. That is, by the time he's dead all the foes are dead too, his sacrifice was not in vain. I have the old Cleric companion, not the awful one with his perv lines, and yes she does attack but she moves away from obvious danger.
    With mod6 where Regen and LS will become extinct, if you don't like augments then the healing pets will be a must. You may extend your companion's survivability by crafting him some Personnalized hero gear.
    Russian leaderboard first page. The proof.
  • Options
    lucifron44lucifron44 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Nature's Vigor: Increases your regeneration by twice the Fawn's Regeneration and Power.

Sure it will be of any use at all with mod6?
    Russian leaderboard first page. The proof.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    lucifron44 wrote: »
    Nature's Vigor: Increases your regeneration by twice the Fawn's Regeneration and Power.

Sure it will be of any use at all with mod6?
    I'm sure, just like all other mobs in game with regeneration have been adjusted or will be, the fawn too will see some love to adjust for the new mechanics. Right now, we just don't know what the Devs have planned for the Fawn. I'll see if I can get this worry into the weekly community feedback we send out on Mondays.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I'm sure, just like all other mobs in game with regeneration have been adjusted or will be, the fawn too will see some love to adjust for the new mechanics. Right now, we just don't know what the Devs have planned for the Fawn. I'll see if I can get this worry into the weekly community feedback we send out on Mondays.

I posted feedback in the stat change thread about companions that may be very negatively affected by the changes without special attention.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    edited February 2015
    I posted feedback in the stat change thread about companions that may be very negatively affected by the changes without special attention.
    Can you link me to it and anything else of particular note on the Fawn that I should include in our report? Thanks!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Here's my post.
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?831701-Official-Feedback-Thread-Stat-Changes&p=10102731&viewfull=1#post10102731

Also note that the Acolyte doesn't even have life steal on her stats other than what she gets from the equipment you give her.

Neverwinter Census 2017