test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread: Hunter Ranger Cap Raise

asterdahlasterdahl Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,258 Cryptic Developer
Greetings Adventurers!
In conjunction with the forthcoming raise to the level cap, each class will see additions and adjustments. This content will gradually be made available on our preview shard. As it becomes available we would very much like to collect your feedback!

This thread will be focused on the Hunter Ranger. Initially only new class features will be made available, however this thread will be updated alongside the preview shard in the future.

Although the new feats for other classes have been made available with this release, we would like to apologize that Hunter Ranger's new feats are not available for preview at this time. We are working to bring them to you as soon as possible.

Class Features
The following class features will become available at 60 points.
  • Crushing Roots: Your Weak Grasping Roots now also Daze the target for .5s and your Strong Grasping Roots Daze the target for 1s.
    • Rank Up: Duration +100%.
  • Seeker's Vengeance: Your attacks deal 10% more damage when you strike from behind the target.
    • Rank Up: +5% damage.

Feats
The following feats will become available after investing 10 paragon points into the corresponding tree. Feats previously available at 10 points have been moved to 15, those available at 15 have been moved to 20, and so on.

Archery
  • Longshot: Your critical ranged attacks also deal a bonus 20/40/60/80/100% of your weapon damage as physical. This bonus is tripled for encounter powers and is multiplied by 5 for dailies.
  • Hasty Retreat: When you take damage from a foe you gain 5/10/15/20/25% more move speed for 6 seconds.

Combat
  • Lucky Blades: Critically Striking or Deflecting an attack grants you Lucky Blades, which increases your AP generation by 2/4/6/8/10% for 4 seconds.
  • Skirmisher's Gambit: Your critical chance is reduced by 2/4/6/8/10% but your critical severity is increased by 10/20/30/40/50%.

Trapper
  • Forestbond: When you apply Grasping Roots you reduce the cooldown of all of your currently recharging powers by 3/6/9/12/15%
  • Trapper's Cunning: Your critical strikes have a 5/10/15/20/25% chance to apply Weak Grasping Roots.
Post edited by asterdahl on

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Feedback
    We would like to collect as much feedback as possible regarding the changes and additions to the class. Given that, we would like you to categorize and color code your feedback so we can sort it and act on it most effectively! Please use the below format to submit bugs/feedback.

Type: Bug/Feedback (Please only choose one)
    Please use “Bold” face text for the Type then type your feedback in the body of your post. If you are listing a bug please have this text in RED, if you are posting an opinion or feedback please use BLUE.
    (Concise Feedback & Screen Shots are much appreciated)

Examples:
    Bug: Destroyer
    Destroyer’s Purpose didn’t grant stacks while dealing damge.

I feel like I don’t have enough tools to stay alive under fire now and it makes tanking too hard.

Please try to play for a few hours to get used to the changes.
    Thank you again for all your help Adventurers! We look forward to hearing back from you!
    Asterdahl
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Question: It sounds like Crushing Roots is bringing back part of the original way that Constricting Shot worked -- as a short stun. So, my question is, if I use Constricting Shot (which applies Strong Grasping Roots) to root targets in a small area, do they all suffer the stun afterward? (key word: afterward: if they're stunned and rooted at the same time it isn't all that useful since 99% of the time they won't be in arms' reach of me anyway).
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Moderator Notice:

As with all other such threads, please restrict your posts to useable feedback in the format requested. The devs are looking for numbers and figures to tweak the changes before live release. Parses and ACT logs are helpful in this matter, as are screenshots. Also, be aware that posting your text in cyan does not automatically tag it as valid feedback--the content of your post must be constructive feedback.

Attacks on another poster's feedback or opinion, or anything not related to your experience with the changes posted to this thread will be moderated accordingly without further public notice. Posts based on conjecture without valid testing, where applicable, will be removed.

To ensure that the devs get the feedback in a logical and orderly manner, we're having to enforce this rather strictly. Please do make sure that your feedback is in the format specified in the opening posts of this thread, or it will be moved.

Please do not respond to or reply to this notice, but use the PM system to address your concerns, per Rules of Conduct, Section V.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    tomiotartomiotar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Feedback - Crushing Roots
    Ive been trying my HR on preview and aiming constricting arrow with Crushing roots feat at a group of mobs (inlcuding some "medium", not only the trash) end up with every mob dead without have to worry to hit them again. Basically every mob get inmobilized and then the root proc kill them before they have time to move again. My first impression is that it become a bit overpower at least at lvl60 with corrupted set, arti weapon and rank 7 radiant. The toon im using have 19k GS on live server so its not weak but is not the strongest either and im clearly killing easilly now.

Before this mod I was prefering Archery for PVE content, now with such level of control skills seem that Trapper is the only way to go for every HR. U can try to go melee but u get <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> without life steal and the roots deal more extra damage than the "Prey" bonus+u can AoE inmobilize all the mobs together.
  • Options
    query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    @tmiotar: Since you re-specced from Archer I can fill you in. Thorned roots was already doing that to most trash anyway. It's likely not the stun. I rtest myself but preview is, again, bugged beyond recognition for me...
  • Options
    destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Feedback -Paragon Pathfinder Class Feature- Battlehoned:
    This class feature is essentially ruined. The conditions that make this class feature work and the effect it grants (regeneration) is so counter productive. It doesnt really provide any reasonable benefit.
  • Options
    kaedennnkaedennn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 361 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I want to say thanks to the devs for letting the HRs do more than just rooting , with this changes the HR can now have a place in a party ; Absolutely amazing the daze effect ;

i can't wait to see what you've got for us guys as feats :D , thanks .
  • Options
    mh0rammh0ram Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm a bit concerned with the current gear dropping off so quickly. I'm an all 10's HR, archery spec. Leveling to 61 I lose 10% Crit chance, 9% DR, and 8% Lifesteal Chance. That's just leveling to 61. I'll continue to provide feedback as I level up, I used a 5,000 zen XP booster to make the process go more quickly.
  • Options
    mh0rammh0ram Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I compared a fully "twinked" out rank 4 (So 5 Rank 10 Radiants) leveling up to Rank 5. The drop off isn't as steep there as it is in going from 60-61. Something seriously needs looked at there.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Greetings Hunters! I'm happy to reveal the new feats that will be available starting today on preview. The original post has been updated, but here's an excerpt for your viewing pleasure.
    asterdahl wrote: »
    Feats
    The following feats will become available after investing 10 paragon points into the corresponding tree. Feats previously available at 10 points have been moved to 15, those available at 15 have been moved to 20, and so on.

Archery
    • Longshot: Your critical ranged attacks also deal a bonus 10/20/30/40/50% of your weapon damage as physical. This bonus is tripled for encounter powers and is multiplied by 5 for dailies.
    • Hasty Retreat: When you take damage from a foe you gain 5/10/15/20/25% more move speed for 6 seconds.

Combat
    • Lucky Blades: Critically Striking or Deflecting an attack grants you Lucky Blades, which increases your AP generation by 2/4/6/8/10% for 4 seconds.
    • Skirmisher's Gambit: Your critical chance is reduced by 2/4/6/8/10% but your critical severity is increased by 10/20/30/40/50%.

Trapper
    • Forestbond: When you apply Grasping Roots you reduce the cooldown of all of your currently recharging powers by 3/6/9/12/15%
    • Trapper's Cunning: Your critical strikes have a 5/10/15/20/25% chance to apply Weak Grasping Roots.

P.S. As part of an effort to make feat icons more clearly match their effects, some existing Hunter Ranger feats have received new icon treatments, and some feats have had their icons swapped. With that in mind, please be careful when selecting feats until you're used to the new icons, we hope the changes improve clarity in the long run!
  • Options
    fenrir4lifefenrir4life Member Posts: 295 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Combat

Soo... a choice between more AP gain and a literal gamble. Neither of those are particularly attractive.
    Skirmisher's Gambit is a significant buff to a stat that you can't conventionally gear for... and a debuff to the stat that you need to make it useful! It would be far more appealing with a smaller severity buff and no reduction in crit chance.
    Lucky Blades is a buff to AP generation... but AP generation is not a problem this class needs to solve. Our appealing dailies all use less than a full bar, and can be used nearly on cooldown.
    My suggestion for Skirmisher's Gambit: 2-3% per rank to both critical and deflection severity.
    My suggestion for Lucky Blades: I got nothing. I don't usually like to complain unless I have an alternative, but this feat isn't bad, just... irrelevant.
  • Options
    scoutmasterjscoutmasterj Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Greetings Hunters! I'm happy to reveal the new feats that will be available starting today on preview. The original post has been updated, but here's an excerpt for your viewing pleasure.

The Archery Feats look pretty good, as long as we can keep our crit change high despite the stat drop off
  • Options
    alkemist80alkemist80 Member Posts: 957 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    kaedennn wrote: »
    Actually combat needed this 10% more AP regeneration , i always wanted to pick it from the Trapper tree but i couldn't since all the feats on combat tree are good , so it's welcome .

+1

Feedback - Lucky Blades: Combat AP generation is slow compared to the other trees, so this is something I would love to test. I currently have and use the DC artifact to fill the gap in lack of AP. That is even with adding recovery into my stats. Though our dailies tend to be lackluster. Please fix Cold Steel Hurricane into something worthwhile :)

General Feedback: On the side note, why are we all now being pushed to play trapper?

I was one of the rare PvE'rs that played combat spec and loved it. I never play nor will play PvP but trapper is getting all the love. They get great CC, great damage and now they can have daze on top of it all. Survivability does not seem like a big issue with the CC and damage. What do combat get? They get great survivability, decent damage, no CC and do not provide much for group play besides for AotP (if slotted).

Combat needs to have a better cooldown mechanic. Serpent Weave (.5s cooldown reduction when shifting) is a complete joke. The Royal Guard set put combat into a fast and furious setup with quick stance dance using all our abilities at a much better pace. We just don't get the CC which is fine for the trade off of survivability and we would still focus on melee but that would help bump up our dps with a faster rotation. Combat should not be just for PvP! Not to mention a lot are switching to trapper for PvP anyways.
    Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Feedback after the additional feat proposed.
    these consideration does not require testing so i m not talking about bugs.

Archery

Longshot: Your critical ranged attacks also deal a bonus 10/20/30/40/50% of your weapon damage as physical. This bonus is tripled for encounter powers and is multiplied by 5 for dailies.

PERFECT

Hasty Retreat: When you take damage from a foe you gain 5/10/15/20/25% more move speed for 6 seconds.

the path lacks survivability, this may help. Good enough. Problem: PVP hr set already have 25% additional movement speed. A HR moving at 25%+25%+enchants may be a tad much.

Combat
    Lucky Blades: Critically Striking or Deflecting an attack grants you Lucky Blades, which increases your AP generation by 2/4/6/8/10% for 4 seconds.

oh god....hr does not need action points... increased critical chance for 4 seconds would be awesome.

Skirmisher's Gambit: Your critical chance is reduced by 2/4/6/8/10% but your critical severity is increased by 10/20/30/40/50%.

again...there are so many things wrong here. A combat HR does not have high critical chance. Now with lv60 curves a combat hr can reach 30-32% critical chance. With the new curves maybe a 18-20%. You really are going to take away another 10% for 50% additional critical severity for a crit that may never come?

Trapper
    Forestbond: When you apply Grasping Roots you reduce the cooldown of all of your currently recharging powers by 3/6/9/12/15%

good. we are already plenty of cd reduction but more is always good. i would like something more original tho.

Trapper's Cunning: Your critical strikes have a 5/10/15/20/25% chance to apply Weak Grasping Roots.

i hate random procs. this random proc will become a random daze with the new class feature.
    ....not good.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    kaedennn wrote: »
    combat and archer can daze too now

That is true, with the new class feature. However it synergies best for the trapper tree since they will already be using skills that provide root effects as their go to. There is no way I am swapping to very lacking encounters that don't function good unless feated (trapper).

Feedback - Seeker's Vengence: I understand class features were meant to be easily swapped out for situational use but this one is almost completely useless while soloing, even with a tanking companion. It hasn't been worthwhile to swap out an augment companion for a tanking companion. Even then, an archer at ranged would waste (dps) time moving behind the target (since you can't control the companion) and a combat spec wouldn't even need such a companion, thus obviously tanking the mob(s) and not being able to hit them from behind enough times to make it worthwhile.

For PvE group play, this is still pretty iffy as it is. This is a action MMO, meaning we have to move around, A LOT. Getting behind a target isn't the easiest thing to do, especially in an add swarm enviroment. Then we have to dodge the red zones. In other words, this may be a dps increase, ONLY if you can get into the proper position and the up time will be rather low. That won't happen with enemies like dragons because of their deadly tail swipe. Why even bother using it when you can use other skills that will boost your dps or utility all the time or with a much higher up time?

Perhaps if this feature is tied to combat advantage instead. In that case I might drop my defense a bit as combat spec (Lone Wolf) and slot Seeker's Vengence + Aspect of the Pack instead.
    Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Trapper

OP
  • Options
    enantiosenantios Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Combat

I play combat hr primarily so I'll just give feedback on those feats

Lucky Blades: I feel that instead of ap generation, maybe it should give increased damage or crit chance/severity to fit better with the name but also be more useful in my opinion

Skirmisher's Gambit:this seems terrible, I mean penalizing the stat we need that would make this feat useful seems silly; especially with the new stat curves after 60, I would rather it give a lower crit serverity boost with no crit chance penalty
  • Options
    uxigaduruxigadur Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Feedback from hunter ranger trapper point of view, mostly.

Trapper
    Forestbond: When you apply Grasping Roots you reduce the cooldown of all of your currently recharging powers by 3/6/9/12/15%

At least for me, this is not useful. 90% of the times when i used all my encounters in a stance and shot 2 at wills, i already have the encounters on the other stance ready.

Trapper's Cunning: Your critical strikes have a 5/10/15/20/25% chance to apply Weak Grasping Roots.
    Is ok if it works with at wills.

Class

Crushing Roots: Your Weak Grasping Roots now also Daze the target for .5s and your Strong Grasping Roots Daze the target for 1s.
    Rank Up: Duration +100%.

Good if you are an archer, good if you are a combat, if you are trapper the effects overlap other hunter ranger trapper effects, making this feats useless. I tested with my ranger and the only benefit i got was another icon on my enemies.

However, it might be some sinergy with trapper's cunning. That would need to be check

Seeker's Vengeance: Your attacks deal 10% more damage when you strike from behind the target.
    Rank Up: +5% damage.

I can't imagine this being useful, and worse, it is not fun at all. It might be good for archer, it surely is harder for combat, and for a trapper is impossible due the rythm and movements you need to keep.

I rather have a bonus in my damage after getting damage. That way this feat would be good for combat and trapper and the other one for archer.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Bug: Lucky Blades

As much as I would love permanent increased AP generation, I do not believe this is working as intended. Lucky blades will proc randomly, even in safe zones such as PE. It also will not drop off going through a very odd count timer.. for example: 6..4..6.. or 6..5..4..3.. then back to 6 and it will cycle over and over. I have fey thistle boon.. might be related.

werewolf.jpg
  • Options
    fenrir4lifefenrir4life Member Posts: 295 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Bug: Aspect of the Lone Wolf is not granting additional deflect for ranks above the first at level 61
    Bug: Lucky Blades occasionally activates without an obvious trigger, as above, but I do not have fey thistle boon

Bug: The following ranger powers have invalid rank 4 effects, unless the devs are planning to increase max party size: Boar Hide, Hawkeye, Oak Skin, Stag Heart, Fox's Cunning
  • Options
    thedemienthedemien Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Bug
    Crushing Roots does not seem to proc or have no visual effect of daze.

I've tried this one capped to 4 in new area.Even if visually you have roots applied mods are still attacking in you are in their reach area.

FEEDBACK
    This is more general. First roots seem to applies less times on new mobs as compared to tiamat area.

Battleborn - New Regen and LS makes this feature useless. 400 regen at 4 tier gives to few bonus to heal to be useful. It would be very good if this feature mechanic would be reworked.

Skirmisher's Gambit - with new stat curves it becomes hard to get any decent crit chance. Might be good if this one would have 4-6% of crit loss rather 10% to be any useful.
    Also old HR gear for combat has very low crit stats. but need to look at new gear to compare.

Lucky Blades - this seems to suffer the same issue as old heal on deflect. looks like you guys did not fix deflect trigger and just nerfed old combat pvp gear for no reason. Deflect is still triggering randomly. It can trigger heal on deflect and lucky blades out of combat or on Buff.
    You do need to fix deflect and remove ICD from pvp combat sets. Both old and new. Since with new regen/LS will not have crazy heals we have without ICD. now with ICD that heal on deflect is useless. In new mod it will even bigger <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
    Fix deflect. Remove ICD form armor set.
  • Options
    thedemienthedemien Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Bug
    Pathfinders Action applies only +15% deflect at 4t tier. Not +20% as supposed to be.

Feedback
    Skirmisher's Gambit - damage from behind is HR thing. It is rather TR feature not HR. As for what I play and see it is very rarely possible to do damage directly from behind. Instead suggestion is to change it to "10% more damage..." in combat advantage.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    BUG: SWIFTNESS OF THE FOX
    it does not reduce hindering shot cooldown.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Bug: Aspect of the Lone Wolf

Rank 4 gives negative deflection.. went from rank 3 @ 35% to rank 4 @ 24%..

werewolf.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2015

I've been solo questing with Rank 4 Crushing roots + Constricting Arrow as a combat HR and I have to say that I'm pretty impressed. It's actually very beneficial, just have to mix up my toolkit a little but so far for solo play, I give it a thumbs up. Only level 61 (almost 62), have yet to see how it fares on tougher mobs at higher level. I can see this having usefulness in group/dungeon play giving combat more CC for the party.

werewolf.jpg
  • Options
    icedubbleicedubble Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    BUG: Master Trapper

Switching stance after proccing Biting Snares no longer procs Master Trapper or any of its effects; the only observable effect is increase damage by 3% while Biting Snares is activated.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    BUG: ASPECT OF THE LONE WOLF.
    Adding points in this class feature causes you to lose deflect instead of gaining it.

adding the 4th point makes you lose 10% deflect
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    BUG: FOX CUNNING
    tooltip says it snares while it does not.
    does not gain anymore bonus damage with ranks
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    BUG: LONGSHOT FEAT
    does not proc on melee encounters

BUG: MASTER TRAPPER CAPSTONE
    is not working.
This discussion has been closed.