chemboy613 wrote: »
    you need "ENOUGH" to fit your plastyle.

Thnx, I never thought of this point. :)
  • Options
    chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    madnitezz wrote: »
    Thnx, I never thought of this point. :)

Shockingly, how you play effects what stats are most useful to you XD.

This is why i didn't give out MY BUILD and instead made a guide. What is best for me may not be best for you.

Play style, Gear, and Spec must work together for great performance and enjoyment. However, i don't know your play style well enough to recommend something.
  • Options
    mnemosiusmnemosius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Hey Chem, I play an Oppressor (I don't consider myself to be all that good, but I limit my role for the most part to almost entirely lockdown), and I use a Frost Enchantment on my weapon to give me an additional 4 seconds of control on almost all mobs at the beginning of every fight. Since the changes to SS (which accounted for a large amount of my damage; I was one of the few who used that passive before it got buffed, and now I'm sad that it relies on crit), I've been considering switching to a MoF Oppressor, as I tend to be in for the long run of a fight anyway. Would playing a MoF just for Critical Conflagration if I'm also using Orb of Imposition be worthwhile?

Thanks,
    Feayr Hanson (I speak up sometimes in legit; I've seen you there a few times. It's kind of like a celebrity sighting XD)
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    mnemosius wrote: »
    Hey Chem, I play an Oppressor (I don't consider myself to be all that good, but I limit my role for the most part to almost entirely lockdown), and I use a Frost Enchantment on my weapon to give me an additional 4 seconds of control on almost all mobs at the beginning of every fight. Since the changes to SS (which accounted for a large amount of my damage; I was one of the few who used that passive before it got buffed, and now I'm sad that it relies on crit), I've been considering switching to a MoF Oppressor, as I tend to be in for the long run of a fight anyway. Would playing a MoF just for Critical Conflagration if I'm also using Orb of Imposition be worthwhile?

Thanks,
    Feayr Hanson (I speak up sometimes in legit; I've seen you there a few times. It's kind of like a celebrity sighting XD)

It's worth trying man, give it a shot.

I would say the long term plan would be to buy control pets and run CC/SoD for your features. That will give you as much control as you have now, but not eliminate some of the very potent class features CW has.

Now i know they aren't cheap, but a blue mage will make a difference, and I think that's 1200 zen? Not cheap, but not that much either.
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    At some stage I will post my Draconic CW build on the forums for people to bash :p Rather then HV I went down the draconic path, I won't explain my reasoning here but rather, when I eventually feel 100% happy with the build and I do a write-up for it, I will explain my choices then. It deviates enough from the standard CW SS build that it will probably be labelled heretical and there will be requests to have me burned at the stake :p I just thought I would let you know there is a PVE Draconic build coming this way :) Also, on that note about team play and individual play, it truly does depend on the individual. Sure, I will happily admit that team play is better, however some people are genuinely better suited to playing on there own.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    There's nothing wrong with the Draconic Set. The stats are very good and the 4-piece bonus works as advertised.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with the Draconic Set. The stats are very good and the 4-piece bonus works as advertised.

There can be a good draconic build. I have seen a few people pull it off. I don't think it's completely invalid at all. Also the overload slots are useful.
  • Options
    umscheumsche Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 461 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    chemboy613 wrote: »
    There can be a good draconic build. I have seen a few people pull it off. I don't think it's completely invalid at all. Also the overload slots are useful.

Yep, mine goes like that : http://gateway.playneverwinter.com/#char(Umsche@umsche)/charactersheet

It is obviously not min maxed.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    umsche wrote: »
    Yep, mine goes like that : http://gateway.playneverwinter.com/#char(Umsche@umsche)/charactersheet

It is obviously not min maxed.

It's not loading for me, for some reason.

Point is, it can be done, but you have to completely regem and reaccesorize to balance your stats.

Now i'm not sure if it's optimal, but the stats aren't bad and the set bonus isn't bad either. I have seen some good players make it work.

I just want to use these examples to remind people that BIS is "Best in Slot for Most Players Most of The Time" not "Best in Slot for All Players All of The Time." Don't get this confused!
  • Options
    valiadgrvaliadgr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I have been away for a few months and it is great to come back and see that the CW community still has great theorycrafters/players who still care that passionately about the class.The guide really helped to catch up on what has happened so far.
    Now on to some questions.
    I am trying a MoF-renegade build based on the fact that rene buffs are if I am not mistaken proximity based?
    As in they proc to whomever is close to you regardless if they are in your party or not. Although debuffing from MoF and buffing from rene seem to harm me a lot personally on dragons and great successes they seem to be rather super useful in Tiamat fight.
    Could you also suggest a single target loadout for MoF/rene? Without FTP I think Magic Missile with the arcane stacks refreshing every so should be superior to CC , no? Since chill stacks seem to be rather easy to maintain on bosses with just RoF?

EDIT: btw on todays preview build:

Control Wizard
    Chilling Advantage: The material components have been found and this feature now works correctly. Chilling.

wohoooo!
  • Options
    observer1996observer1996 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ty ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • Options
    nathyielnathyiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It's a good update to read after my 6 months break (during M3).

1- A quick question on MoF :
    On boss with add, I find FtF totally amazing. But I don't really know what talent to remove for it except Shard. Don't you think it can be a good option?

2- Since my return and I see all those interesting change, I thinking of the viability of Oppressor in PvE. It require a perma-freeze setup and can show some good synergies with chilling Presence.
    Spellstrom seem to be the best choice here because EoTS can be replaced and Chilling Control for Freeing with Sudden Storm.
    MoF is strange here. It should be the best option but there's no way to use Chilling Presence/Combustive Action feat. And it lack an equivalent to Chilling Control.
    One problem is control immune target. The +100% damage is good but a little lacking as it only concern Controlling Spell. As Shatter is an important part of the total damage.
    Another problem is the "added" control. It's only freeze longer and give a small buff to Orb of Imposition. But this feat is useless outside of PvP.

My conclusion is that Oppressor PvE is just a joke as the other too can be as good at perma freezing for control but with a lot more DpS.
  • Options
    twitticlestwitticles Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 92
    edited December 2014
    nathyiel wrote: »
    2- Since my return and I see all those interesting change, I thinking of the viability of Oppressor in PvE. It require a perma-freeze setup and can show some good synergies with chilling Presence.
    My conclusion is that Oppressor PvE is just a joke as the other too can be as good at perma freezing for control but with a lot more DpS.
    Mobs are now chill immune for three seconds after a freeze, therefore perma-freeze is no longer a possibility.
  • Options
    overdriver13overdriver13 Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    How is this not stickied?? Great great work.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    There already is a compendium stickied that Chem also posted.
  • Options
    madnitezzmadnitezz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Hi, Chem. I hv juz got my golden dragon talisman and playing around with its features. Wondering which artifact class feature (EotS or SS) would be the best for me, dps wise? I have read your writing that EotS might win out but I would like to know is that based on any statistical testing, or juz a wild guess?

I am an SS thaum CW, using both EotS and SS all the time. My Crit rate is not bad, approaches 34%.

Thnx!

Best regards.

_Stormrage
  • Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Ss at the moment is the best dps increase.
  • Options
    pmabrahampmabraham Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Where can I find a good MoF/Oppressor build? It seems Chem's work is more geared toward MoF/Tham and MoF/Renegade.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    pmabraham wrote: »
    Where can I find a good MoF/Oppressor build? It seems Chem's work is more geared toward MoF/Tham and MoF/Renegade.

I try to make one and I found it disappointing. MoF can't switch feat (critical conflagration & swath of destruction).
    The SpellStorm version feel much better especially with Chilling Control giving chilling stacking to Sudden Storm.
  • Options
    bruceeeebruceeee Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hey Chem

Just gonna leave appreciation for all the work you've put into these guides and a question:

What changes would you make relative to the current mod? (6 i think)

Is MoF Still viable?
  • Options
    aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Unless he lurks here, Chem has been gone for awhile, unfortunately. I'd hoped we'd see him again in mod 6, but I haven't.
  • Options
    katamaster81899katamaster81899 Member Posts: 1,157 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yeah, we've lost chemboy to wildstar for sure.
    dulopa4e1d9.png
    || Axios Guild Leader || Neverwinter Trade Forum Moderator || Infernal Paragons ||
    Check out my foundry, titled "Akro's Gone Wacko", featuring our ex-CM Akromatik!: NW-DL8J7BY5T
    Erza Moonstalker | Lara Moonstalker | Julie Marvell | Erza Moonhunter | Annie Hellangel | Jenn Moonstalker
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    hm, I see... Maybe any1 wants to fill me in on the changes MoF suffered and if SS is better now? :D
  • Options
    aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I don't know much about MoF, myself.
  • Options
    hallacatthallacatt Member Posts: 38
    edited April 2015
    bruceeee wrote: »
    hm, I see... Maybe any1 wants to fill me in on the changes MoF suffered and if SS is better now? :D

I think as far as pure dps is concerned, SS will always edge out MoF. However, I also believe that right now its probably closer than it has ever been. My CW as of right now on live is a MoF cw who (in my humble opinion) performs AMAZINGLY well. My experience only extends so far as farming t1 dungeons, so I can't give feedback as to what t2 feels like.

For me, the main draw of MoF is that it is amazingly consistent. My cw is rocking 55% crit unbuffed, 60% if you consider the offhand class feature, 65% after the very first time you crit, and 95% if you get the right chaos magic buff. That makes the 30% proc from chaos magic very nearly an EotS proc only its 10 seconds long. Between boons/companions/p. vorp/critical conflag. my crit. severity is 180%. As far as paingiver goes (for the ones that care about that sort of thing) I am very very rarely beat by any class/spec combination. There really isnt any buildup time involved, and you are doing very close to your maximum possible dps within seconds. Overall for me, the amazing burst of SS coupled with the times of bad RNG luck with procs just lost out to the consistent performance/dps of MoF.

All in all, and to specifically answer your question, I dont think MoF has suffered in the least for mod 6. If you would like I could share my loadout and power/feat selection, but the only thing I do that I think might be uncommon is my change to use icy terrain on tab in heavy add areas now (aka not bosses). Icy terrain is just too good to not use but being right in the middle of everything is very very dangerous. On tab, I still hover very close to the clusterfest but on the outside edge of melee rather than right in the center of it.

Hope you find this helpful.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yeah, we've lost chemboy to wildstar for sure.

At least until Wildstar goes F2P, and the prognosis of that is steadily increasing. Latest news is retail boxes are being pulled in various countries.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    On the question about MoF, mod6 give us a great gift : an ability to freeze things quickly.

What I mean is that with Icy Veins, it's easier to change smolder into rimefire and to keep it ticking. since I'm level 70, I switch to Swath of Destruction + Chilling Presence with Fanning the Flame on tab.
    It lead to an interresting change : smolder/rimefire = damage debuff. If it does good damage, it's not to the point of spellstorm. But the combination of the debuff and the damage boost on chill/frozen target lead to very big number on power.

And as long as you keep ar least 3 points in IV, the path choice is open. Even if renegade is still better because of the increased crit chance when CP is slotted.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    @hallacatt

Thank you so much for your insights.

I'd love it if you could post your build, just so I could copy it somewhat.

I currently have conduit of ice on tab, and entangling force, repel and icy terrain on the encounter slots.
    Have Icy knife for boss-burst and furious immolation for even more control; (Don't really know what to do with the passive slots - have critical conflagration and arcane presence) and have chilling cloud and ray of frost on my at-wills.

Me being a new player (just reached lvl 52) and my only knowlegde about the class are all the guides I read, I didnt quite know what to do because I saw all these SS players saying that MoF had begun to lose its strength and were respec'ing...

I feel that I've already had a little taste on how MoF gameplay rolls out. Its all I thought it would be and to be honest I couldn't be more pleased about it.

Again, being a new player, Im sure I made tons of messy choices as far as powers and feats go (didn't even start choosing boons) and would like to ask if by paying AD my power tree would also be reset or if I actually have to use a retraining token for that.

Thanks in advance,

Bruceeee
  • Options
    crystal892fcrystal892f Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    hallacatt wrote: »
    My cw is rocking 55% crit unbuffed
    May I ask how you get such a high crit chance?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    May I ask how you get such a high crit chance?

Full cha + critical conflagration boost from artifact