Install Arc
Options

Server down/crashed?

124»

Comments

• Options
    refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It is affecting everyone. I am in the UK, and It is about 23:00 GMT at the moment

I did a full FORCE VERIFY and it did not help.

I tried changing to the EU Proxy Server and I could not even connect.

It has been claimed that it is a deliberate Denial Of Service attack from Bot Farmers due to Refining Stones dropping from enchants being made BOA.

All I know is that it took me more than THREE HOURS just to do Professions with 14 characters and try to move stuff around via my Shared Bank Slots.

SERVER NOT RESPONDING error message comes up every few minutes. Sometimes, I get disconnected as well.

It just happened when I was talking to Rhix, but I could not see the message as the screen just froze.

What can be done, as the game is completely unplayable at the moment?

I was going to help some people with an Epic Gragmire Crypt run, and they could not even invite me to their party and then I got disconnected.

:(
  • Options
    mrmauveforummrmauveforum Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Ocarina of time, forever. Hehehe.

Really, man? Really?

I think you mean Majora's Mask.
  • Options
    overthehilloverthehill Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    draculet wrote: »
    Well They should be noting that if no one on the east coast can play how can we purchase zen. This has been going on over 4 hours today.

Yup East Coast here, can't stay connected for more the 10 seconds for the past 2 hours.
  • Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Really, man? Really?

I think you mean Majora's Mask.

Indeed haha.

• Options
    hexanna22hexanna22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    West Coast, getting disconnected every couple of minutes. So are some guildies.
  • Options
    ogariousogarious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    Angry sure. Attacking, I don't know.. if anything I wouldn't want to DDos my daily source of income and draw attention to myself. I'd sit quietly in a corner observing and finding other ways to get things done. They can still hack the hell out of people for example. But even if they have to raise their prices a bit, people will still buy from them. Greed+cheap items will always lure stupid players.

Of course Cryptic's next logical step, if there's going to be one, is the total removal of all enchantments from the nodes, forcing people to farm themselves with fey- and hoard enchantments. But if they go that far, the game loses all it's old players. Not a very smart plan, even if it has some merits. But Panderus already threw a hammer at the devs before leaving the office, so we'll have to wait for their reply to see how quickly things will change.

Ok, who's Panderus and what happened. I'm not much for gossip but if something happened recently maybe there's a chance it'll wake people up and something will be done to halt the path of destruction that PWI and Cryptic are on with Neverwinter and STO.

At this point I dont have much hope, I'm in the process of trying to convince the guild to move off of Neverwinter and head to either Rift of another game. But I would love to say that I am jumping the gun here....
  • Options
    str8slayerstr8slayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 715 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    mjytresz wrote: »

How many host companies, from the advent of DDOS until now, have been DDOS'd as a result of "whacked off decision like making ALL RP BOA"?
    I'm not even counting the dismal population of Neverwinter at this point. Probably because I know you're still wrong. Even if chinese hackers are doing this, they still make much more bank off other games than Neverwinter. I'm not even sure if they care about this game.

HAHA, no, infact when games like this get DDOSed it's nearly always because of a bad decision up-top, I just said I've been in other gaming communities that had this problem, it happens ALOT. Hell even one of these whales getting banned is enough for them to angrily pay out the a$$ to DDOS the people they're mad at (seen it a million times). I don't understand why you seem to think DDOSes are rare, they happen every day because any moron with a few mbps of bandwidth can do it themselves. Yes, botnets are aimed at companies like this all the time for doing things the botters do not like. Script kiddies can make threats and but groups that have ircnets with enough power behind them to take down cryptic, they can hit practically whomever the hell they want and nobody is stopping them... (can you say, any group of nerds that work at a reasonably large data-center?)

Cryptic is just shooting themselves in the foot here, they can plainly see how many clients no longer log-in and they need to act fast to keep this game from being a ghost town in 6 months...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    blacksladdiblacksladdi Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    suppose these botters are doing this - why would they shoot their income in the foot like this? who would keep paying these botters for AD if they ddos the servers so noone can play? Mod 5 is going to come, this change is going to happen nothing can change that. I am sure cryptic will get help from somewhere... like pwe to fund some ddos protection so the botters will have to pay more to keep this up.
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,462 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Post a Slashdot article about the gold sellers and their websites, then watch the servers melt. Two can play this game (evil grin).
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    suppose these botters are doing this - why would they shoot their income in the foot like this? who would keep paying these botters for AD if they ddos the servers so noone can play? Mod 5 is going to come, this change is going to happen nothing can change that. I am sure cryptic will get help from somewhere... like pwe to fund some ddos protection so the botters will have to pay more to keep this up.

Because it is not unusual for that type of personality to lash out when aggravated, even if the act of lashing out will hurt them in the long run.
  • Options
    str8slayerstr8slayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 715 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014

A DDOS attack is nothing more than a momentary annoyance, a diversionary measure, it is not meant to take servers offline entirely (though it can, usually done at night when no sysadmin is around), it is meant to disrupt services provided by the servers attacked. It will cease when they tell it to, and yes they could pay for protection but it'd cost Cryptic more, as well.

Yeah, they're pretty much just lashing our violently hoping it'll intimidate Cryptic into reversing their decision, the disruption would be well worth that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I hope they fix this soon. I cannot play at all.

In fact, I do not care if they relented on the BoA. I do not care at all about BOTS if I can buy 99 Peridots from the Auction House for 10,000 AD.

I would NEVER use a Third Party Pirate site EVER.

I DO care about the constant barrage of spam from BOTS and FARMERS in Zone Chat etc, which is why a player-side spam filter is more important to me than making enchants etc BoA.

And I also care about hundreds of thousands of them overloading the servers and dDOSing us - IF that is what is actually happening.

~
  • Options
    akireonakireon Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I honestly don't see why people even spend $$ on gold farmers in this game when you can make 1000 zen a day while watching tv or a movie doing their surveys or setting up a junk email for the offers in the arc ap. I've made around 10000 zen just by doing it for a hour a night. Gold farmers ruin every game and the only reason they're around is because people buy from them. Stop buying from them and they will not be around to ruin future games.
  • Options
    mjytreszmjytresz Member Posts: 500 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Sorry, but Str8slayer is right. I have witnessed numerous DDOS attacks on private servers of different games in the past myself. And this clearly is one. Also your claims about the botter's income are wrong. When the game launched a single botter with roughly 20 accounts made 6000$ within a week. These botters we have nowadays are making tons more (obviously) and now they are mad.

You've witnessed a small microcosm. How you can even pass that off as justifiable evidence is simply astounding.
    Also, that's when the game launched. Several years later the game has become an obvious sinkhole for the cash shop, the botters are making significantly less on this game compared to others, especially given the population of Neverwinter.

But nevermind that, tell me more about what you've seen and how it relates to the entire world as a whole.
    for educational purposes

Stopped reading here.
    Education purposes != profit.

True. I just get called in by companies like Shell, BP, BT, Alcatel, Amazon and such when their 2-cent developers aren't paying attention to their security to clean up their mess. So please check your attitude at the door. Thank you. I already stated your point is valid in general. No need to brag here.

Can't remember the last time I heard of Amazon getting DDOS'd.
    Nevermind the rest of the companies you mentioned don't have any relevant internet presence and are at the bottom of DDOS targets.

My point is valid. I can brag because you're not offering any alternative.
    str8slayer wrote: »
    HAHA, no, infact when games like this get DDOSed it's nearly always because of a bad decision up-top, I just said I've been in other gaming communities that had this problem, it happens ALOT. Hell even one of these whales getting banned is enough for them to angrily pay out the a$$ to DDOS the people they're mad at (seen it a million times). I don't understand why you seem to think DDOSes are rare, they happen every day because any moron with a few mbps of bandwidth can do it themselves. Yes, botnets are aimed at companies like this all the time for doing things the botters do not like. Script kiddies can make threats and but groups that have ircnets with enough power behind them to take down cryptic, they can hit practically whomever the hell they want and nobody is stopping them... (can you say, any group of nerds that work at a reasonably large data-center?)

Cryptic is just shooting themselves in the foot here, they can plainly see how many clients no longer log-in and they need to act fast to keep this game from being a ghost town in 6 months...

You've been in a handful of communities that rank lower than 1% of the composite amount of gaming communities. Thank you for your overall insight and insignificant experiences.
    Companies that are not only more known but also make more profit than Neverwinter have either never been the victim of DDOS, given horrible decisions in their own environment, or have been able to recover from DDOS with more elegance than PWE. Considering PWE is handling this like with the skill of a truckdriver performing gastric bypass in his garage with a screwdriver.

Sorry (not really), but you're plain wrong. Why you feel the need to offer an opinion on a subject with which you have 0 experience is beyond me. I'd say stop before it's too late but we're well beyond that.
    Broken mechanics, broken class designs, lack of actual content, and over zealous, bronze-age moderation?

Go Cryptic!
    PS - I quit.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I thought I would try the EU Proxy server one more time, but was not able to.

SERVER STATUS HAS A RED LIGHT with the following message:

Neverwinter is currently experiencing issues which may be affecting gameplay.

~23:45, London, England, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    akireonakireon Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I thought I would try the EU Proxy server one more time, but was not able to.

SERVER STATUS HAS A RED LIGHT with the following message:

Neverwinter is currently experiencing issues which may be affecting gameplay.

~23:45, London, England, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

that's a understatement lol
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    You've witnessed a small microcosm. How you can even pass that off as justifiable evidence is simply astounding.
    Also, that's when the game launched. Several years later the game has become an obvious sinkhole for the cash shop, the botters are making significantly less on this game compared to others, especially given the population of Neverwinter.

But nevermind that, tell me more about what you've seen and how it relates to the entire world as a whole.

*snip some blubb-blubb*

Sorry, but you seem unable to understand. The amount of bots running around these days is easily 500 times higher, than it used to be at launch. Sure, their prices may have dropped quite a bit over time, there's no denying that... BUT the sheer quantity of items they are able to farm makes up for it.

Unlike you, i have been watching the bots going crazy ingame, on a daily basis for over a year.

• Options
    mjytreszmjytresz Member Posts: 500 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Sorry, but you seem unable to understand. The amount of bots running around these days, is easily 500 times higher than it used to be. Sure, their prices may have dropped quite a bit there's no denying that, BUT the sheer quantity of items they are able to farm makes up for it.

Unlike you, i have been watching the bots going crazy ingame, on a daily basis for over a year.

Unlike you, I understand that that same population of bots is on every other game making a much higher profit.
    But let's just pretend like 500 bots on a game where a sizeable proportion of the population is bots doesn't matter for profit.

Great job. 5 stars.
    Broken mechanics, broken class designs, lack of actual content, and over zealous, bronze-age moderation?

Go Cryptic!
    PS - I quit.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Unlike you, I understand that that same population of bots is on every other game making a much higher profit.
    But let's just pretend like 500 bots on a game where a sizeable proportion of the population is bots doesn't matter for profit.

Great job. 5 stars.

Nah mate. I know better, trust me.

• Options
    vodoowowmorgvodoowowmorg Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm pretty sure we should get something for compensation seeing as this has been going on all day and just about a half hour ago they posted on facebook saying they're looking into it.
  • Options
    blacksladdiblacksladdi Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm pretty sure we should get something for compensation seeing as this has been going on all day and just about a half hour ago they posted on facebook saying they're looking into it.

that would be great, then would come the whine "oh no i got a lousy title" or something like that.
  • Options
    dwightmcdwightmc Member Posts: 95
    edited November 2014
    Closing this thread. Servers should be working properly now. If you have any issues please post it in this thread: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?787401-Known-Issue-Server-Instability
This discussion has been closed.