test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Server down/crashed?

Comments

• tharrisxtharrisx Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Issue is continuing for over an hour now and still no response at all from Cryptic/PWE. I am located on the West Coast in LA, so this is not due to some ISP issue on east coast. I would just like some kind of acknowledgement and perhaps an ETA on a fix. When we get no response at all, we lose hope of playing the game for the whole weekend. "There goes the weekend event, as no one will be able to login to enjoy."

-tharrisx
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    tharrisx wrote: »
    Issue is continuing for over an hour now and still no response at all from Cryptic/PWE. I am located on the West Coast in LA, so this is not due to some ISP issue on east coast. I would just like some kind of acknowledgement and perhaps an ETA on a fix. When we get no response at all, we lose hope of playing the game for the whole weekend. "There goes the weekend event, as no one will be able to login to enjoy."

-tharrisx

Let me say this again, because I know I posted this about six or so posts up:

Over the weekend, there was a regional ISP routing issue identified that was affecting all PWE East Coast servers. Since Cryptic uses a data center in the same area, it is highly likely that the issue affecting those PWE servers is also affecting the Cryptic data center. However, the issue is out of PWE's immediate control and must be handled by the ISP in question. PWE's IT team is aware of the current matter and is working with the ISP to identify and reroute problematic routes.

It doesn't matter where your route is coming from, it has to travel to the East Coast (where the NW server is located) eventually, and thus would be affected by an ISP issue on the East.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • malakut#1916 malakut Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Over the weekend, there was a regional ISP routing issue identified that was affecting all PWE East Coast servers. Since Cryptic uses a data center in the same area, it is highly likely that the issue affecting those PWE servers is also affecting the Cryptic data center. However, the issue is out of PWE's immediate control and must be handled by the ISP in question. PWE's IT team is aware of the current matter and is working with the ISP to identify and reroute problematic routes.

It doesn't matter where your route is coming from, it has to travel to the East Coast (where the NW server is located) eventually, and thus would be affected by an ISP issue on the East.

*hug* I love you!
  • blacksladdiblacksladdi Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited November 2014

thank you for the update and not banning all frustrated people like me from the forum for a day :)
  • empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Gateway is having lots of issues too...was working fine until about 35 minutes ago and now its just about unusable.
  • ellodrithellodrith Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    heh, tweet just arrived :)

Neverwinter ‏@NeverwinterGame 39m39 minutes ago
    We're hanging out at @GamescapeSF and playing some D&D and #Neverwinter! Drop by if you're in the area!

Maybe now they will notice the game isn't working :)

cheers
    Ello
  • jukifojukifo Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It's easy. Raging chinese farmer hacker ddosing servers because of BOP RP.
  • nurmoodnurmood Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    jukifo wrote: »
    It's easy. Raging chinese hacker ddosing servers because of BOP RP.

Haha totally thought the same
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    yeah, I'm getting dc'ed every 5 mins or so :(
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    They just Tweeted this -
    We realize that some players may be experiencing connectivity issues. Our engineers are investigating this.

https://twitter.com/NeverwinterGame/status/531193736903286785
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • ellodrithellodrith Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Response on Twitter right away.

Neverwinter ‏@NeverwinterGame 4m4 minutes ago
    @ellodrith Our engineers are aware of the issue and are investigating

cheers
    Ello
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Let's hope they can fix this quickly
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • str8slayerstr8slayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 715 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    reiwulf wrote: »
    Let's hope they can fix this quickly

It'll resolve itself when the packets stop flooding in... Cryptic usually isn't getting DDOSed very hard but occasionally I guess one of those real "botnets" comes along and targets us.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    O.K.
    Looks like the Intern you used to prod the Server Hamsters has died again.
    You need to get a new one.
    Some sprightlier Hamsters wouldn't hurt either.
    Might I suggest this supplier?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf06...endscreen&NR=1
    In the meantime, deploy the Emergency Backup Chinchillas so we can finish out our Dailies.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • nytespawnnytespawn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I was fine in Dread Ring but started betting disconnects every 5 minutes in IWD. This is ridiculous.
  • tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Seriously? on Twitter before anything in the Official forums... GTF
    edited November 2014
    You can't filter DDOS, I don't care if you're an intern at google or a senior sysadmin at the pentagon, you can't stop it without going offline, nuff said.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • crusherbeastcrusherbeast Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Why can't they take server offline and fix the thing??? It's better when it's offline for hour and fixed finally than 5 hours when you can't play anyway...
    Tairev-TR(All kind of killing tools)
    Asha-DC(Faithful-Anointed Champion)
    Vilgefortz-CW(Thaumaturge-balance)
  • mjytreszmjytresz Member Posts: 500 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    str8slayer wrote: »
    You can't filter DDOS, I don't care if you're an intern at google or a senior sysadmin at the pentagon, you can't stop it without going offline, nuff said.

This isn't as true as you think it is.
    The most difficult part is filtering packets that aren't authenticated or having a lockout. You'd have to completely redesign your netcode to filter out garbage packets.
    Broken mechanics, broken class designs, lack of actual content, and over zealous, bronze-age moderation?

Go Cryptic!
    PS - I quit.
    edited November 2014
    Why can't they take server offline and fix the thing??? It's better when it's offline for hour and fixed finally than 5 hours when you can't play anyway...

Because then you wouldn't be playing at all, additionally, that doesn't stop the flood, you have to wait until THEY stop it to come back online. This DDOS is clearly not a powerful botnet or none of your clients would be online to complain about lag right now lol.
    mjytresz wrote: »
    This isn't as true as you think it is.
    The most difficult part is filtering packets that aren't authenticated or having a lockout. You'd have to completely redesign your netcode to filter out garbage packets.

It doesn't matter if it's not entirely true, it's MOSTLY true, sure you can spend a ton of money trying to setup fancy filters and paying third-party servers to take hits for you, but that isn't stopping anything. If the botnet is big enough (and there are many that are) it doesn't matter what you have setup, you're going down...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vjarlvjarl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It's Tiamat!!! I KNOW IT!!!
  • yourtormentyourtorment Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    did they confirm its a ddos?
    edited November 2014

They will never confirm this, it should be obvious by watching the ping lol... Remember, it costs $ to DDOS people and they have put in just about as much as they're taking bandwidth wise. This is why DDOS RARELY lasts more than a few hours and isn't frequently used as anything more than a diversionary tactic in cyber-warefare (I mean countries, not script kiddies).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    This DDOS is clearly not a powerful botnet or none of your clients would be online to complain about lag right now lol.

You realise we don't know what the issue is right? DDOS attacks are stupid anyway. Like who the hell changes decisions based on script kiddies throwing a tantrum.
  • ferrolhoferrolho Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm constantly getting disconnected every few minutes too.
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    edited November 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg9GreH4U7k

There is no such thing as DDOS!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    edited November 2014
    ferrolho wrote: »
    I'm constantly getting disconnected every few minutes too.

This is the tell-tale sign of DDOS, if this is happening, you can be 80% sure the server you're on is under attack. (other 20% it's your own crappy bandwidth being sucked dry by local clients).

It's like when some little article or site goes viral on reddit, the little server in someone's basement goes from serving 10 pages a day to 10,000 an hour and you'll see similar results...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mrsevathmrsevath Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014

First post to just simply say, I like that avatar picture.
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,462 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    This is the tell-tale sign of DDOS, if this is happening, you can be 80% sure the server you're on is under attack. (other 20% it's your own crappy bandwidth being sucked dry by local clients).

It's like when some little article or site goes viral on reddit, the little server in someone's basement goes from serving 10 pages a day to 10,000 an hour and you'll see similar results...

Like the Slashdot effect.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
This discussion has been closed.