test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Server down/crashed?

Comments

• colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    mrsevath wrote: »
    First post to just simply say, I like that avatar picture.

Majora's mask, forever. Hehehe.

• demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    edited November 2014

This was so wrong on so many levels....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • str8slayerstr8slayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 715 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    hustin1 wrote: »
    Like the Slashdot effect.

The only difference is the traffic from reddit is legit, the fake init requests from attack botnets use up just about as much bandwidth, however, so, yeah, similar results.

People with botnets get mad, people with those botnets use them, nuff said :D.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,462 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    str8slayer wrote: »
    The only difference is the traffic from reddit is legit, the fake init requests from attack botnets use up just about as much bandwidth, however, so, yeah, similar results.

I guess it could be worse. About a decade ago there was an article on Slashdot about an unrepentant email spammer. In an interview (Slashdot interview, perhaps) he was adamant that he had every right to send advertisements to your email address if he wanted to.

Boy, was that ever the wrong thing to say to that crowd. He had just bought a house somewhere in Ohio; even if his address wasn't listed anywhere on the Internet, it's available to the public by law. Someone went to the courthouse, retrieved his address, and posted it on the forum.

In short order, the readership exacted revenge. They scoured worldwide for every free print publication, sales catalog, or anything else they could find, then signed him up for them. Soon he was getting one-hundred pounds of physical mail every single day. USPS unilaterally stopped all mail to his house because they couldn't deal with it.

Now that was a DDOS.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • blacksladdiblacksladdi Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    http://imgur.com/dYUhOYF

thought this was funny before i dc'd. superman that redcap... naw disconnected.
    edited November 2014
    Gah, at least tonight is UFC fight night so the day isn't entirely ruined.

edited November 2014

I like it. Revenge of the redcaps!

(Santa, could I have a redcap Thorn companion for my HR for Christmas?)
  • kabinoleskabinoles Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    crash every 2 min after I did the skirmish
    in skirmish I desconnect like 4 times ,die like 4 times too
    earthquake I think,because last time we had this it was a earthquak

edit:no earthquak,thks for the info hustin1
    a drunk touching the cables?I feel like mainstream media giving false info
  • letojarred1letojarred1 Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited November 2014

that hammer looks painful
    StrawberryCheesecake TR
    BlackberryCheesecake CW
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CheeseCake House :o
    edited November 2014
    kabinoles wrote: »
    crash every 2 min after I did the skirmish
    in skirmish I desconnect like 4 times ,die like 4 times too
    earthquake I think,because last time we had this it was a earthquak

If it's affecting East Coast servers it's definitely not an earthquake. Anything above a 2.x here is rare in the extreme (that 5 we had a couple of years ago is something we won't see for another hundred years). The ground here isn't faulted like on the west coast and we aren't near any plate boundaries. Also, because this topography was formed when the continents smashed together to form Pangaea, the underlying ground is packed like an iron plate. It has a tendency to stay where you left it. It's also why, when there is a 5.x earthquake in Virginia, people feel it all the way up in Montreal (here in Philly we were rocking and rolling!)
  • rovadixrovadix Member Posts: 55
    edited November 2014
    ugh this is annoying
    edited November 2014
    hustin1 wrote: »
    I guess it could be worse. About a decade ago there was an article on Slashdot about an unrepentant email spammer. In an interview (Slashdot interview, perhaps) he was adamant that he had every right to send advertisements to your email address if he wanted to.

Boy, was that ever the wrong thing to say to that crowd. He had just bought a house somewhere in Ohio; even if his address wasn't listed anywhere on the Internet, it's available to the public by law. Someone went to the courthouse, retrieved his address, and posted it on the forum.

In short order, the readership exacted revenge. They scoured worldwide for every free print publication, sales catalog, or anything else they could find, then signed him up for them. Soon he was getting one-hundred pounds of physical mail every single day. USPS unilaterally stopped all mail to his house because they couldn't deal with it.

Now that was a DDOS.

HA, yeah, that was an 80's DDOS, I'm sure that's happened to other people for other reasons as well (cough politicians cough*). But the thing to remember is that these attacks are not random, they are indeed, a form of protest. The botters clearly don't like that the only thing their bots can farm in this game is no longer salable. It's obvious to me (if not to everybody else) where the attacks are coming from...

If people could farm reasonable amounts of AD/RP by playing the game this wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue. The fact of the matter is Cryptic does NOT want anybody to be able to farm currency in this game, they want you to take your 24k/char per day and be happy with that, and if you aren't, you pay them. I understand the motivation behind it, they don't like third parties profiting from their property, but they are not creating any ways for ACTUAL PLAYERS to farm, either.

If they at least did that much, then they could claim to be in the right, but as of right now, I have a hard time seeing it that way...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Well its down now alright :p Real pain too...due to everyone in the group I was in rage quitting because of disconnects I was soloing epic karru and taking all the loot...the challenge was to kill bosses between the lag spikes so I died 20 odd times due to disconnects but was fun :p Unfortunately the server just went down when last boss had 1/10 of his life left :(.
  • gerbilhurdlergerbilhurdler Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 418 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    WWJD?
    (Who would Jesus Ddos?)

But seriously this is bad and you should feel bad for not letting me grind on Saturday.
    (And for making me grind so hard on Saturday.)
  • letojarred1letojarred1 Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    *yawn* nothing left to do :D
    gotta read em drizzt books ;)
    StrawberryCheesecake TR
    BlackberryCheesecake CW
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CheeseCake House :o
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    HA, yeah, that was an 80's DDOS, I'm sure that's happened to other people for other reasons as well (cough politicians cough*). But the thing to remember is that these attacks are not random, they are indeed, a form of protest. The botters clearly don't like that the only thing their bots can farm in this game is no longer salable. It's obvious to me (if not to everybody else) where the attacks are coming from...

If people could farm reasonable amounts of AD/RP by playing the game this wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue. The fact of the matter is Cryptic does NOT want anybody to be able to farm currency in this game, they want you to take your 24k/char per day and be happy with that, and if you aren't, you pay them. I understand the motivation behind it, they don't like third parties profiting from their property, but they are not creating any ways for ACTUAL PLAYERS to farm, either.

If they at least did that much, then they could claim to be in the right, but as of right now, I have a hard time seeing it that way...

Well...to be fair, its not the ONLY sellable thing, the bots just need to extrapolated to run a little further and refine things with the BoA refining stuff...say enchantments, then sell the product instead of the resource :p
  • mjytreszmjytresz Member Posts: 500 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It doesn't matter if it's not entirely true, it's MOSTLY true, sure you can spend a ton of money trying to setup fancy filters and paying third-party servers to take hits for you, but that isn't stopping anything. If the botnet is big enough (and there are many that are) it doesn't matter what you have setup, you're going down...

It's not mostly true, it's just that most servers don't need it.
    Sure, you can build a bunker to protect yourself from a nuclear strike at ground zero, but the simple odds of it are so low that it doesn't warrant the effort. That's the point.

Protection from a DDOS isn't that hard. It's just that the odds of you getting DDOS'd are so low that there's no real point in it. Out of the hundreds or even thousands of servers that are devoted to hosting a game, how many are even DDOS'd?
    Broken mechanics, broken class designs, lack of actual content, and over zealous, bronze-age moderation?

Go Cryptic!
    PS - I quit.
    edited November 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    They aren't entirely without stuff to sell unfortunately. They'll still be able to swarm the weekly sharandar lair 5 at the time, get the first node and back out to go in again. It's not as profitable as the hoard foundries, but this isn't the end of them just yet.

That doesn't mean the botters aren't angry and retaliating, they most definitely are attacking Neverwinter, that is undeniable. You may be right, they may keep their bots in this game just for node drops, but they won't make anywhere near what they could selling black opals and flawless sapphires...
    mjytresz wrote: »
    It's not mostly true, it's just that most servers don't need it.
    Sure, you can build a bunker to protect yourself from a nuclear strike at ground zero, but the simple odds of it are so low that it doesn't warrant the effort. That's the point.

Protection from a DDOS isn't that hard. It's just that the odds of you getting DDOS'd are so low that there's no real point in it. Out of the hundreds or even thousands of servers that are devoted to hosting a game, how many are even DDOS'd?

Funny how "the odds of getting DDOSed" seems to skyrocket when they make whacked off decisions like making ALL RP BOA... Like I said, you can pay big to mitigate it, and even if you get DDOSed a lot, I still highly doubt it'll be cost effective. I have a bit of experience with this, the last gaming community I played in got DDOSed A LOT lol...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mjytreszmjytresz Member Posts: 500 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm sure P-servers will disagree with you. Other than that, you've got a good point.

I'm sure you're the master of statistical analysis out there.
    Given the amount of private servers compared to the ones that actually get DDOS'd compared to the odds of actually getting DDOS'd by a botnet compared to a large group of people, the odds are still low.

Then again, given the amount of private servers compared to the amount of legit servers, the odds are even lower.
    That's the point, you people are talking about statistics that you're not aware of, as well as software design aspects that you're not aware of.

Protip: One person in this conversation is a successful software dev.
    Protip: it's not you.

I've developed software for dozens of supermarket, restaurant, fastfood, and game host companies and "protection against DDOS" is never in the requirements because the simple odds of it are so low. It's even lower given the amount of effort required to DDOS a server of that size. Especially considering the vast majority of these companies have backup servers.
    Funny how "the odds of getting DDOSed" seems to skyrocket when they make whacked off decisions like making ALL RP BOA... Like I said, you can pay big to mitigate it, and even if you get DDOSed a lot, I still highly doubt it'll be cost effective. I have a bit of experience with this, the last gaming community I played in got DDOSed A LOT lol...

How many host companies, from the advent of DDOS until now, have been DDOS'd as a result of "whacked off decision like making ALL RP BOA"?
    I'm not even counting the dismal population of Neverwinter at this point. Probably because I know you're still wrong. Even if chinese hackers are doing this, they still make much more bank off other games than Neverwinter. I'm not even sure if they care about this game.
    Broken mechanics, broken class designs, lack of actual content, and over zealous, bronze-age moderation?

Go Cryptic!
    PS - I quit.
  • draculetdraculet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Well They should be noting that if no one on the east coast can play how can we purchase zen. This has been going on over 4 hours today.
  • arturusmandalorarturusmandalor Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Given the amount of private servers compared to the ones that actually get DDOS'd compared to the odds of actually getting DDOS'd by a botnet compared to a large group of people, the odds are still low.
    The statistics fluctuate hugely depending on the sort of sites/content being hosted.
    P.S. Im a successful webdeveloper/webdesigner
    edited November 2014

Then again, given the amount of private servers compared to the amount of legit servers, the odds are even lower.
    That's the point, you people are talking about statistics that you're not aware of, as well as software design aspects that you're not aware of.

Protip: One person in this conversation is a successful software dev.
    Protip: it's not you.

I've developed software for dozens of supermarket, restaurant, fastfood, and game host companies and "protection against DDOS" is never in the requirements because the simple odds of it are so low. It's even lower given the amount of effort required to DDOS a server of that size. Especially considering the vast majority of these companies have backup servers.

How many host companies, from the advent of DDOS until now, have been DDOS'd as a result of "whacked off decision like making ALL RP BOA"?
    I'm not even counting the dismal population of Neverwinter at this point. Probably because I know you're still wrong. Even if chinese hackers are doing this, they still make much more bank off other games than Neverwinter. I'm not even sure if they care about this game.

Sorry, but Str8slayer is right. I have witnessed numerous DDOS attacks on private servers of different games in the past myself. And this clearly is one. Also your claims about the botter's income are wrong. When the game launched a single botter with roughly 20 accounts made 6000$ within a week. These botters we have nowadays are making tons more (obviously) and now they are mad.

• refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It is affecting everyone. I am in the UK, and It is about 23:00 GMT at the moment

I did a full FORCE VERIFY and it did not help.

I tried changing to the EU Proxy Server and I could not even connect.

It has been claimed that it is a deliberate Denial Of Service attack from Bot Farmers due to Refining Stones dropping from enchants being made BOA.

All I know is that it took me more than THREE HOURS just to do Professions with 14 characters and try to move stuff around via my Shared Bank Slots.

SERVER NOT RESPONDING error message comes up every few minutes. Sometimes, I get disconnected as well.

It just happened when I was talking to Rhix, but I could not see the message as the screen just froze.

What can be done, as the game is completely unplayable at the moment?

I was going to help some people with an Epic Gragmire Crypt run, and they could not even invite me to their party and then I got disconnected.

:(
  • mrmauveforummrmauveforum Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Ocarina of time, forever. Hehehe.

Really, man? Really?

I think you mean Majora's Mask.
  • overthehilloverthehill Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    draculet wrote: »
    Well They should be noting that if no one on the east coast can play how can we purchase zen. This has been going on over 4 hours today.

Yup East Coast here, can't stay connected for more the 10 seconds for the past 2 hours.
    edited November 2014
    Really, man? Really?

I think you mean Majora's Mask.

Indeed haha.

• hexanna22hexanna22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    West Coast, getting disconnected every couple of minutes. So are some guildies.
  • ogariousogarious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Angry sure. Attacking, I don't know.. if anything I wouldn't want to DDos my daily source of income and draw attention to myself. I'd sit quietly in a corner observing and finding other ways to get things done. They can still hack the hell out of people for example. But even if they have to raise their prices a bit, people will still buy from them. Greed+cheap items will always lure stupid players.

Of course Cryptic's next logical step, if there's going to be one, is the total removal of all enchantments from the nodes, forcing people to farm themselves with fey- and hoard enchantments. But if they go that far, the game loses all it's old players. Not a very smart plan, even if it has some merits. But Panderus already threw a hammer at the devs before leaving the office, so we'll have to wait for their reply to see how quickly things will change.

Ok, who's Panderus and what happened. I'm not much for gossip but if something happened recently maybe there's a chance it'll wake people up and something will be done to halt the path of destruction that PWI and Cryptic are on with Neverwinter and STO.

At this point I dont have much hope, I'm in the process of trying to convince the guild to move off of Neverwinter and head to either Rift of another game. But I would love to say that I am jumping the gun here....
    edited November 2014

HAHA, no, infact when games like this get DDOSed it's nearly always because of a bad decision up-top, I just said I've been in other gaming communities that had this problem, it happens ALOT. Hell even one of these whales getting banned is enough for them to angrily pay out the a$$ to DDOS the people they're mad at (seen it a million times). I don't understand why you seem to think DDOSes are rare, they happen every day because any moron with a few mbps of bandwidth can do it themselves. Yes, botnets are aimed at companies like this all the time for doing things the botters do not like. Script kiddies can make threats and but groups that have ircnets with enough power behind them to take down cryptic, they can hit practically whomever the hell they want and nobody is stopping them... (can you say, any group of nerds that work at a reasonably large data-center?)

Cryptic is just shooting themselves in the foot here, they can plainly see how many clients no longer log-in and they need to act fast to keep this game from being a ghost town in 6 months...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • blacksladdiblacksladdi Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    suppose these botters are doing this - why would they shoot their income in the foot like this? who would keep paying these botters for AD if they ddos the servers so noone can play? Mod 5 is going to come, this change is going to happen nothing can change that. I am sure cryptic will get help from somewhere... like pwe to fund some ddos protection so the botters will have to pay more to keep this up.
This discussion has been closed.