test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Best First Artifact?

jerrockojerrocko Member Posts: 197 Arc User
edited November 2014 in PvE Discussion
I chose the fireball guy who's also a shopkeeper. The fireball ain't much, but having a vendor appear anywhere for you to sell off extra stuff is great.
Jerrocko,
Leader of the Packs
Post edited by jerrocko on

Comments

• jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    jerrocko wrote: »
    I chose the fireball guy who's also a shopkeeper. The fireball ain't much, but having a vendor appear anywhere for you to sell off extra stuff is great.

I like the Waters myself as a nice survival boost. Defense, Regen, Rec, and a really powerful Heal.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • sprawlfxsprawlfx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It's all going to depend on the character and player using it, and whatever else that person might be sporting.

For the largest percentage of people, I think it is going to be the lantern.
    But I have a couple who do not regret choosing the waters.

As for the snake-oil salesman.. I never even considered taking it. I've seen people's reasons for taking it, but none of them fit with me or any of mine.

Several of my characters have used that first artifact to rank up other artifacts, and I don't regret that either.

Edit-
    The question is about a choice between Waters, Lantern, or ShopKeep.
    This choice is typically made at level 21.
    At that level... a choice between-

Lantern- CRIT +Damage and Debuff (and later ArPen, and Combat Adv)
    Waters- REC +Heal for less than a pot plus cleanse (and later Def and Regen)
    or
    Shop- DEFL + Sell you stuff you should already have and flick kissy damage at an enemy. (and later Movement and GoldGain)

-is not a choice that should be that difficult to make.

But use whatever you like. The OP asked for opinions and I gave mine. I am amused that the person below me thinks my opinion is subject to his approval. LOL
  • gcut123gcut123 Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    sprawlfx wrote: »
    For the largest percentage of people, I think it is going to be the lantern.

lolwut?

Most people I know regret their butts off for choosing lantern in the artifact quest.
  • damnataanimusdamnataanimus Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited November 2014

The problem with the shopkeeper is its crappy stats. Deflect, movement, and gold gain. Both waters and lantern have better stats imo. Waters having recovery, defense, and regen - lantern having crit, armour pen and combat adv bonus dmg. They both also have better active uses. The fireball is unfortunately barely worth using at level 60.
    May the RNG Gods smile on you today!
    Adorable Temptress - 23.4k Temptation SW
    Mara Angelbane - 22k Thaum CW, Vaya Con Dios 15.2k Dragon CW.
    Mara Shadowskiss - 21.5k Destroyer GWF, Mara - 17.2k Sentinel GWF
    Mara Duskwalker - 15.4k Healing DC
    Mara Hawkeye -14.6k HR
    Mara Spiritforge - 16.9k Tanky GF
    Bad Religion - 14.7k Pew Pew DC
    Mara Shadowstouch,Maara - TR's
    edited November 2014
    gcut123 wrote: »
    lolwut?

Most people I know regret their butts off for choosing lantern in the artifact quest.

Why? Get it to 59 and use it to feed another artifact for 5x rp. Thats what I did with mine. I use on my SW atm, Heart of red dragon, Sigil of the devoted, and sigil of the great weapon, all legendary. The lantern was used to feed the heart of the red dragon iirc - got it level 91 instantly :p
    Mara Hawkeye -14.6k HR
  • gcut123gcut123 Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Why? Get it to 59 and use it to feed another artifact for 5x rp. Thats what I did with mine. I use on my SW atm, Heart of red dragon, Sigil of the devoted, and sigil of the great weapon, all legendary. The lantern was used to feed the heart of the red dragon iirc - got it level 91 instantly :p

That's my point.

Lantern is a **** artifact and its only purpose is to be aritfact food.
  • mutantdemocracymutantdemocracy Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    lolwut?

TRs and SWs shouldn't.

Getting it to purple is more Combat Advantage bonus, which translates into a good chunk of damage.
    edited November 2014
    That's my point.

Not true - that active increases dmg for all. The stats on it are also pretty good. Sure its not the best, but it is far from being a "bad" artifact.
    Mara Hawkeye -14.6k HR
    edited November 2014
    If you've got the Dragonborn Pack and the attendant Artifact, then that would be my first choice (it's already 60 anyway.......).

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    That's my point.

Hardly, its still somewhat decent. As for the shop keeper, that is pretty useless. Decided to get one to legendary on my mule to get distilled pots for me and the guild if we wished since they're btc. They didn't think that part through for it to be more useful on a character I don't play. Still as a free/one of the cheaper artifacts it's still a decent choice. Not everyone wants to pvp. has millions of AD, wants to spent a lot on packs or want multiple toons. It used to be particularly good on the last phase of valindra in vt. A lot of artifacts have at least 1 stat that you don't particularly want, and unless you're capped on arpen or crit then all of the stats on the lantern are useful. Waters is also a good choice though.
  • jerrockojerrocko Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The problem with the shopkeeper is its crappy stats. Deflect, movement, and gold gain. Both waters and lantern have better stats imo. Waters having recovery, defense, and regen - lantern having crit, armour pen and combat adv bonus dmg. They both also have better active uses. The fireball is unfortunately barely worth using at level 60.

I don't use fireball hardly at all, and only as fun time. He's my shopkeeper, and it comes in real handy if you pick stuff up and then sell it as I do.
    Jerrocko,
    Leader of the Packs
    edited November 2014
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    If you've got the Dragonborn Pack and the attendant Artifact, then that would be my first choice (it's already 60 anyway.......).

No, that cost real money. ;)
    Jerrocko,
    Leader of the Packs
    edited November 2014
    frishter wrote: »
    Hardly, its still somewhat decent. As for the shop keeper, that is pretty useless. Decided to get one to legendary on my mule to get distilled pots for me and the guild if we wished since they're btc. They didn't think that part through for it to be more useful on a character I don't play. Still as a free/one of the cheaper artifacts it's still a decent choice. Not everyone wants to pvp. has millions of AD, wants to spent a lot on packs or want multiple toons. It used to be particularly good on the last phase of valindra in vt. A lot of artifacts have at least 1 stat that you don't particularly want, and unless you're capped on arpen or crit then all of the stats on the lantern are useful. Waters is also a good choice though.

Shopkeeper is not useless, and his benefit stays the same at all levels. Where do you people sell stuff? Or do you have 100s of slots to pack stuff around?
    Jerrocko,
    Leader of the Packs
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Shopkeeper is not useless, and his benefit stays the same at all levels. Where do you people sell stuff? Or do you have 100s of slots to pack stuff around?

I do have extra bags, there's the tod store vendor in pe that I find most convenient. Still the catalogue gimps your stats big time and its active has no use in battle, just a slight convenience so tht's why it's massively outclassed by the other two.
  • sprawlfxsprawlfx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    "snake oil salesman?" LOL, he's just a place to dump extra stuff for cash. No snake oil.

Was just a joke referring to the guys that used to run around in the old west (U.S.) selling 'potions.' Just a joke. =)
    Where do you people sell stuff? Or do you have 100s of slots to pack stuff around?

I'm not so concerned about selling stuff for gold. There was a time when I was. Once you get 9 leadership slots open and stay active questing and dungeoning, you don't really need to sell stuff.. you pick up more coin than you will ever need. If I did need to sell stuff, there are vendors all over every zone, and even in some dungeons standing by to buy it.

You just need to recognize that some stuff is not as shiny as it seems and is unworthy of your inventory space.

I am not saying the shopkeeper is worthless. He is certainly worthless to me, but he may be great for lots of other people.

Anyway.. I have only three slots for artifacts. If something doesn't help me live longer or kill faster, it doesn't get a slot. Simple as that.
  • cheesegromitcheesegromit Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Where do you people sell stuff?

What sort of stuff? Depending on how you play gold can quickly become a useless currency. Besides, unless they've changed it you can alt-tab and sell via the gateway.

Personally I went with Waters on 5 of 7 characters and Lantern on the other 2.
    edited November 2014

Well have you ever you know tried keeping your pack relatively clean? You dont HAVE to lug around everything your char owns, or hundreds of useless chants or w.e.

Honestly if I want that artifact ill buy it off the AH - the other ones are much more expensive. Added to which the only useful stat on the shopkeeper is deflect. And maybe movement at a stretch. But considering every class has a dodge or sprint they can use to get out of red zones, even that is mostly useless. So basically the ONLY reason to take it is if either you dont know better, or you want a place to sell. For many players esp those without multiple 60s, that artifact is going to be used for quite a while.
    What sort of stuff? Depending on how you play gold can quickly become a useless currency. Besides, unless they've changed it you can alt-tab and sell via the gateway.

Personally I went with Waters on 5 of 7 characters and Lantern on the other 2.

xD I had honestly never thought of that :p But its really not an issue for me anyway The characters I play the most have 3 blue bags and the dragon hoard bag. Even my lesser played chars have at 1 - 2 blue bags and the dragon hoard bag.
    Mara Hawkeye -14.6k HR
  • inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The waters is good only for food for a DC sigil.

The lantern is actually one of the better artifacts effects in game (due mostly that it stacks with itself). For any class that doesn't have awesome dailies (and thus should use DC sigil) the lantern is probably the best (certainly the best of the free artis)

It also has nice stats (Combat Advantage being one of the best bonuses)
  • aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited November 2014

I haven't sold anything to a merchant in months. If I can't use it, I don't pick it up.

My DC has the Shopkeep, but it stays in his bank at blue quality. It was nice while leveling, or for buying pots and kits when I started doing DDs. He has 3 purple artifacts that are much better. Movement, deflect and gold gain (?) are just not stats he needs.

My TR and HR have Waters, but I wish they had the Lantern.

My CW and GWF have the Lantern. IMO, it's the best of the three for most classes, even if my HR and GWF don't need the ArP.
    edited November 2014
    aulduron wrote: »
    I haven't sold anything to a merchant in months. If I can't use it, I don't pick it up.

My DC has the Shopkeep, but it stays in his bank at blue quality. It was nice while leveling, or for buying pots and kits when I started doing DDs. He has 3 purple artifacts that are much better. Movement, deflect and gold gain (?) are just not stats he needs.

My TR and HR have Waters, but I wish they had the Lantern.

My CW and GWF have the Lantern. IMO, it's the best of the three for most classes, even if my HR and GWF don't need the ArP.

You can't know what un-IDed things are unless you pick them up and ID them, so how do you know if you can use something or not (assuming it's not red for another class)? Hmm?
    Jerrocko,
    Leader of the Packs
    edited November 2014
    You can't know what un-IDed things are unless you pick them up and ID them, so how do you know if you can use something or not (assuming it's not red for another class)? Hmm?

Purple Gear and Artifacts do not require Identification at all.
    Before very long at LvL 60 you will reach the point where absolutely no Items below Purple will be worth your time (Excepting a very few specilised Rings, Belts, and Amulets, and they are both cheep enough and uncommon enough that it is not worth burning ID scrolls searching for them. Just use the AH.). The ID scrolls are expensive and generally cost more than the items can sell for, so it is just not worth it to ID anything after a while. I still sell the unidentified Items for Gold while in Open World (you are seldom more than a short hike to a Vendor, anyway).

• aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited November 2014

For starters, if it's not purple, I can't use it. If I'm leveling, I'll ID stuff and discard what I don't use.
  • sigwald01sigwald01 Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    While levelling character I would always take the waters for the defensive boost you likely could use at lower levels regardless of class. By the time you have T2 armor and a bunch of boons I would get a life stone for a health boost (along with soulforged) and choose artifacts based on their max stats compared to what you lack/want then just dump everything into them until epic or even legendary.
    Volaticum Letum
  • archsinner81archsinner81 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 44
    edited November 2014
    the shopkeeper artifact is only good for emergency usage when you run out of pots, injury kit etc..
    Just for information
    1) you can log in the gateway and sell stuff from there.
    2) Not sure if a exploit, you use GM help, go to vendor and get/sell stuff
    edited November 2014
    I've only heard that the Catalogue is most useful in large Guilds, where one Toon will have it at Legendary and the whole Guild will buy the Special Potions that it offers. That Toon will either be a Mule, or switch out to a more useful combat Artifact.

• beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Because the catalogue is hands-down the cheapest artifact to just buy with AD, it is the worst possible one to take for your freebie. I do get them and bind them to my characters, but they are a backpack swap-out, not equipped all the time.

The best is whatever fits your build between the Lantern and Waters (or whichever of those two you'd rather use as fodder for a GWF/DC sigil).
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    edited November 2014
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    Purple Gear and Artifacts do not require Identification at all.
    Before very long at LvL 60 you will reach the point where absolutely no Items below Purple will be worth your time (Excepting a very few specilised Rings, Belts, and Amulets, and they are both cheep enough and uncommon enough that it is not worth burning ID scrolls searching for them. Just use the AH.). The ID scrolls are expensive and generally cost more than the items can sell for, so it is just not worth it to ID anything after a while. I still sell the unidentified Items for Gold while in Open World (you are seldom more than a short hike to a Vendor, anyway).

Not at 60 yet. I think it's weird how often the exact same thing shows up in loot over and over, esp. something I already have equipped. I'll get 4 or 5 rings with the same number, but in different categories like Recovery, CS, Deflection, Defense, etc....
    Jerrocko,
    Leader of the Packs
    edited November 2014
    Because the catalogue is hands-down the cheapest artifact to just buy with AD, it is the worst possible one to take for your freebie. I do get them and bind them to my characters, but they are a backpack swap-out, not equipped all the time.

The best is whatever fits your build between the Lantern and Waters (or whichever of those two you'd rather use as fodder for a GWF/DC sigil).

I'm happy with it. I get plenty of boosts from others spots, but at the low level I was, I wanted a shopkeeper. My own personal store. Works for me.
    Jerrocko,
    Leader of the Packs
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    lolwut?

Most people except for, you know, those people who take it orange for the combat advantage boost, which is a noticeable thing for classes with secondary ways to proc CA.
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Not at 60 yet. I think it's weird how often the exact same thing shows up in loot over and over, esp. something I already have equipped. I'll get 4 or 5 rings with the same number, but in different categories like Recovery, CS, Deflection, Defense, etc....

That's the way itemization works here. There are a few stat layout templates (for lack of a better word) for each level. The stat-slots on each template can be filled with one of several different stats. Level 60 blue/green gear works the same way. From time to time you find a piece of gear that doesn't fit one of those templates. Its usually a drop off a specific quest enemy or something.

I'm happy with it. I get plenty of boosts from others spots, but at the low level I was, I wanted a shopkeeper. My own personal store. Works for me.

To each their own as they say. Never needed a store on the go. But its neat I'm sure.

For me, using it on the way to 60 just isn't a thing. It only takes me a couple days to get to 60 with characters I actually play. And since I bought the dragonborn pack a while ago, all of my leveling characters have the purple Heart of the Red Dragon artifact in their slot.

Even if that wasn't the case, I still wouldn't get it for myself. I'd grab either the lantern for the CA bonus at orange. Or the waters if my character needed the defensive stats. If I do decide I need the catalogue, I can pick it up from the AH for about half what the other two cost. Everybody's wants/needs are different though. That's why they give us a choice in the first place.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR