kynejorrvaskrkynejorrvaskr Member Posts: 5 Arc User
edited October 2014 in Off Topic
Any thoughts on Ebola?
Post edited by kynejorrvaskr on

Comments

• Options
    sprawlfxsprawlfx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yes. I don't want any. Thanks anyway. =)
  • Options
    djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It's a bad m*f* for sure. The only case reported in America and the nurse caring for the patient contracts it. But The good thing about this is, we should see a vaccine any weeks now.
  • Options
    rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Kind of scared me. Flew on United Airlines right after that dude in Dallas did, and I live in Texas but not Dallas. But right now seems mostly contained, unless you work in those hospitals (god bless those medical workers).
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2014
    My sincerest thoughts and well wishes go out to all those affected, even indirectly, by this outbreak.
  • Options
    refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I just heard on BBC Radio 4/World Service that a second nurse in Texas has been infected.

Unfortunately, she was allowed to take a 'plane flight before being diagnosed, even though she had complained of feeling ill and having a temperature. Obama has promised a more aggressive response to the infections.

By the way, take GREAT care on what you look at on the internet - I saw a web article on the "Top Ten Deadliest Viruses" and half of them were not even viruses.

And they missed out some particularly nasty organisms which actually ARE viruses.

~
  • Options
    chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Ebola is a very nasty thing. Did a book report on "The Hot Zone" in 7th grade. Also, outbreak pretty decent movie on Ebola-like disease.

The trouble they have is that people in these african countries traditionally bury their dead with their bare hands - which is a great mechanism for capturing ebola. Even when the aid workers say they can't do this anymore, they sneak the bodies and do it anyway, because it's so central to their tradition.

I totally respect other people's customs, but when faced with one of the nastiest organisms on this planet, we must reconsider.

I feel awful for anyone who has this awful disease. Sadly all the treatments are either anti-retrovirals (limited efficacy) or humanized monoclonal antibodies (expensive, time consuming to produce, sensitive to transport), so it makes treating those infected very difficult and/or very expensive. It is my hope this outbreak burns out quickly.

We are all grateful this is not airborne, else we would have a tremendous plague on our hands.
  • Options
    nurmoodnurmood Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Truth is the government of countries we are coming from dont really care about how many thousand (!) people in Africa die.
    It seems that money is spent better in killing people (Isis) than savin people (Ebola).

Sadly, it is up to the cvilians who are helping in great numbers in Africa and put themselves at risk.

Nice little story from Germany (where i come from):

German doctors support and work in a little hospital in Africa (nigeria i think it was?). They started to build an extension to the hospital to be able to keep ebola patients in isolation.
    They asked for support from the German Government - the responsible department said - we are not paying for projects that allready have started.

Allthough one can understand the mechanics of governmental grant it just showes that most countries still stick to their beurocratic rules as long the problem is not on their doorstep.

/edit:

threadstarter might be trolling - well if so thats what it is to most people here (or in southpark) - a joke

/edit2:

You can also ask yourself why this thread was made now? Because it has reached in single cases THE United States and Europe? Yeah thats how people are...
  • Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I have a cure for ebola
    and it cost less than 200 bucks...
    http://store.supernaturalsilver.com/super-natural-silver-liquid-16-oz/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I live in the Dallas Texas area and let me tell you people are freaking paranoid around here. Usually its only the outsiders though. Those of us who actually live here are just acting normal as we know its contained to that hospital, and personally, I don't even know where Texas Health Presbyterian is.

Ebola is a very bad virus, but in my opinion the original victim should have never been allowed into this country so quickly. The world needs to quarantine the effected areas of Africa to help prevent the spread of it. Only let authorized personnel in and out, not civilians.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • Options
    refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    nurmood wrote: »
    German doctors support and work in a little hospital in Africa (nigeria i think it was?). They started to build an extension to the hospital to be able to keep ebola patients in isolation.
    They asked for support from the German Government - the responsible department said - we are not paying for projects that allready have started.

As usual, by far the greatest numbers of doctors sent to the area come from CUBA.

Imagine how Cuba would be if there had been no sanctions since Kennedy's time? As a Brit, JFK was a great, great man who personified the true American Dream. But I always get a bad feeling when I watch my documentary boxed sets and he uses those words of hypocrisy:

"...on that imprisoned island."

Still, Cuba leads the world in making plastics from sugar, just as Israel leads the world in making fresh water from desalination. Sometimes, being ostracised by your neighbours makes you more independent and creative.

Shame they lost so much cigar revenue, though. Yeah, they do not have much in the way of motor cars, DVD players etc. But they have one of the best education and health care systems in the world. Fact.

Strange, but true.

~