test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What would you add in NW for more immersion?

reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
edited September 2014 in The Moonstone Mask (PC)
What changes would you like to see in NW that would help RP and immersion in general?
I'll start with some very unlikely changes that I'd love to see:

-No person limit in foundry quests, ability to design a foundry as "open area" wich means anyone would enter the same instance (maybe with a limit like real maps) and only delete the instance when empty.

-A way to travel between maps without going to the world map, make some gates in PE to directly link to other Neverwinter city areas, like Blacklake or Tower district, Neverdeath graveyard or The Chasm. Add a port in PE where you can take different ships to different areas, Caer Xonig, Black Dagger Ruins, Rothé Valley, and pirate's Skyhold. All areas next to the coast, they would need to add a port too of course.

-SWIMMING! Why can't we swim? This is the only MMO I've played that has only a few feet deep water everywhere, I love swimming, it's relaxing, let our characters swim! It's just a simple animation change and shouldn't take too long.

-Remove the Worldmap and actually make a big map that connects all the far away Areas, a big open map full of exploration possibilities. (add a teleport npc/scrolls or a way to fast travel for those who don't feel like travelling all the time)

These are mainly it, what would YOU like to see that would add to either RP or game immersion?
2e2qwj6.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jeffro9000jeffro9000 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 121 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    reiwulf wrote: »
    -Remove the Worldmap and actually make a big map that connects all the far away Areas, a big open map full of exploration possibilities. (add a teleport npc/scrolls or a way to fast travel for those who don't feel like travelling all the time)

Something like this. Maybe a big open area where you could flag for pvp, get resource nodes, and that would connect the other areas in the game. Kinda like a "Hyrule Field" for Neverwinter. I think part of the problem is that the world is supposed to be massive in D&D, and there is not a good way to represent that with one zone in game.

Edit:

-Dueling

-Foundry PvP maps
    Jeffro, DC
    Jeffrina Jones, GWF
    Jeffrodo, CW
    Jeffrogue, Rog
    Jelfro, GF
    Jeffrogolas Do'Urden, HR
    Jeffrodo Jaggins, SW
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    The could even use several zones linked with teleporters if their engine can't support bigger maps. It's a pity they went the lazy way with a worrld map with selectable areas. DnD is supposed to be about options, choices, exploration, roleplay , etc... but NW is too focused on straight out combat.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    unsungchampionunsungchampion Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    What changes would you like to see in NW that would help RP and immersion in general?

-No person limit in foundry quests, ability to design a foundry as "open area" wich means anyone would enter the same instance (maybe with a limit like real maps) and only delete the instance when empty.

This! please! I know they can do it. We had hide-out in Champions Online, where you could have 10 people. I would even be alright with that amount but 5...its to closed off. I fully support this.
  • Options
    chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited September 2014
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    chemboy613 wrote: »
    I want a house!

So, what's stopping you?

Go into the Foundry and create whatever house you want.
  • Options
    huajia2huajia2 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    eldarth wrote: »
    So, what's stopping you?

Go into the Foundry and create whatever house you want.

I now have the desire to create a foundry of my character's house where other players can break in and steal things, while NPCs resembling her companions try to fight them off...

Back on topic, though, I would like player housing, and think it would make the game more immersive, especially if there were options to store things visibly. Getting to see mounts/companions/extra gear out would be a lot of fun.

The other thing that would make it more immersive for me is the ability to change my character's default stance when not in action. Kinda like how you get to choose the NPCs default stance in the foundry.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Well you can make it with the foundry, I have made a few RP foundry quests just to have somewhere calm to go and relax.
    It's not exactly real player housing but you can make quite a bit.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    ngeluzngeluz Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Hmmm I have to say:

1) Swimming/Flying Maps (Flying or swimming mounts will defiantly be added) There is SOOOOO many adventures and Realms that can be played in D&D stories...I just shock they haven't consider this at all...there is NOTHING more appealing or more attractive to players in general that have the FREEDOM of FLYING/SWIMMING in a game...and if it has combat even better...I remember when I started to Fly and swim in WoW, CoH/CoV (R.I.P.), Aion, Champions, DCO GW2 for the first time It really help getting in the game and it was amazing! In Aion the Flying traveling in your wings or having air combats still is exiting very awesome! DCUO/Champions/CoH/CoV (R.I.P.) travel powers like flying, Climbing wall/Ceilings, running fast, Jumping high over the Map, specially when your fighting its really cool! The freedom these games give u always draws me back as do other players, it very unlikely but it be great for this game if at least Flying and Swimming where added to Neverwinter... its a D&D adventure after all!

2) Mounts that can be train to be companions or/and Combat Mounts

3) Housing/Guild Base for PVP and PvE/RPG Purposes... would be nice.

4) Earn Titles affect your PvE surrounding (NPC would talk about you as you pass or even enemies) Cryptic did this in CoH/CoV (R.I.P.) it was really cool how NPC and even enemies would be talking about you or other players achievements as you pass by...

5) Special Paragon Path to existing Classes or Races from D&D like: Vampire, Werewolf, Lich, Revenant, become a full Demon/Devil/Celestial etc...

Example: Your a Wizard you can take the Path of a Lich, If your a Warrior u can the the Path of a Werewolf, Warlock of a Vampire etc...If your a Dragonborn u can take the path of a Draconian...if Drow transform into a Drider, Elf into a Fey, Thiefling into a Cambion, Human into a Daeva and the list could go on... etc...

Point of this is that some of these are afflictions or added powers or traits to what you original are, that would not change your Class but just add a different Flavor to your current main class almost like small multi-class... giving you special abilities like the current system of your chosen Paragon path... This would add so much Dimension and Depth to all existing Classes...people would go crazy for it...Like in Champions Online, I still play that game because it gives me almost unlimited freedom to create any type of class, powers etc... In Neverwinter it be limited of course to D&D stuff and Rules but it would add a lot of RPG elements and diverse playing to all existing classes!

I think that's all I have that i thought it be very nice if they added it, I totally agree will all that' s been mention here, it be great!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks swimming would be a great feature.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    canis36canis36 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I've been thinking about how neat it would be if we could actually contribute to the rebuilding of Neverwinter in some meaningful way - for instance we visit the Blacklake District and the old merchant's quarter as part of the leveling quest lines and it would be pretty neat if we had some way of following up on the efforts the quest story dialogue says we made towards reclaiming both areas.

Perhaps as a guild type of thing or personal campaign that is shared between all characters on an account? Maybe tie it into the various professions with shops and such opening up and offering special rewards or otherwise unavailable gear as you level up the professions?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    What could work is making foundry contests for designing some new areas, and the winner gets his entry added to the game as a real area.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    ngeluzngeluz Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    What could work is making foundry contests for designing some new areas, and the winner gets his entry added to the game as a real area.

That's actually pretty good idea for a contest! Hope Neverwinter Staff gets to see this post!! :o
  • Options
    juttetsujuttetsu Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    different starting zones for different races. Or when creating a character and picking your city of orgin, to be able to start off in that land.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    juttetsu wrote: »
    different starting zones for different races. Or when creating a character and picking your city of orgin, to be able to start off in that land.

I like that idea. Or, for those of us who've already started, it would be fun to have "origin" quests like they have "class" quests. Either to travel to the city you picked as origin or, since that would be a lot of additional areas, just to help someone who's supposed to come from the same city and that you would then "know" would be fun.
  • Options
    schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    -Better high dmg traps in dungeons(need TR to remove it ).
    -Better drop chance if TR use some special skill on DD chest.
    -Secret doors to make short cuts (req TR)
    -Puzzles mazes in dungeon with serius traps dead ends.
    -Companion AI.
    -Solo Q or Q with current pt.
    -Set loot mod(greed need ) if all 5 pt member agree voite sys .
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
  • Options
    cfranciscfrancis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Add more banks in other main areas, Foundry quest for solo players should be screened for all chars because they are all not soloable for all chars also should state what lvl requirement should we take them. Lastly more instances with less people it is very annoying when you are questing and some fool kills the mobs and you have to wait for them to respawn.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    cfrancis wrote: »
    Foundry quest for solo players should be screened for all chars because they are all not soloable for all chars also should state what lvl requirement should we take them.

Not a chance. This would destroy the foundry and limit creator control. If an author wants to make his foundry super difficult, that is their choice. There is absolutely zero obligation to make a foundry mission playable by everyone. The only recourse you have as a player is to rate and review. If the author wants the most plays they will try to be the most accommodating. But not every author will want to be, or should be, held to that goal.

As far as a level requirement, foundries have no levels. The mobs already scale.
  • Options
    dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The only thing that really helps immersion is the players and the RP itself. You can toss in ten tons of "useable items" with special features and nifty sparkles, but without RP there's nothing.

I'm going to try to list a few things without it sounding flamey or whiney....

So, my suggestions:

- No "special exclusive guilds for RP' that only those people of that guild interact with each other even if they "just met IC". It's a bit obvious you're in the same guild, and are being a cliqué.

- Less leetspeak in RP. ( LOL OMG.. Rly now? Ys srs.) This is especially important if you are trying to RP with people whom don't have English as a first language. Using full words help to communicate.

- RP everywhere you can. >_< I know dungeons (especially on epic) are rushed, but you can RP before and after it when you're less likely to die.

- Ignore typos. If you understand what they ar saying then a few misppplaced letters don't matter. RP is about communication, and sharing ideas. What some consider "typos" can also be an "accent" for a character. A pirate says " Eh yeah, matety. I dinnae ken dat afore" not " Why correct, my good man, I did not know that before".

- Just RP your day of adventuring in PvE and PvP, and using that experience will bring together what you invent as IC for your character with the environment and quests you just experienced. Play a foundry, and then go RP about it like a storyteller around the campfire on his third beer.
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Not a chance. This would destroy the foundry and limit creator control. If an author wants to make his foundry super difficult, that is their choice. There is absolutely zero obligation to make a foundry mission playable by everyone. The only recourse you have as a player is to rate and review. If the author wants the most plays they will try to be the most accommodating. But not every author will want to be, or should be, held to that goal.

As far as a level requirement, foundries have no levels. The mobs already scale.

There's three difficulty levels for encounters in the foundry, so there are "levels" <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

Personally, while I don't think it should be required to list a level, I'm in favor of doing so. And much more likely to play a foundry that does so (or mentions whether it's intended for solo, solo w/ a companion or group). Depending on number of mobs an author adds in (which is how foundry authors tend to make a quest difficult for high level players since there's no bosses), it does become unplayable for those still leveling up. And there's nothing wrong with that. But there are 49 levels after you gain access to the foundry before that 60 mark, and if a new player enters a quest only to be killed constantly by multiple difficult level mobs because it wasn't marked for Level 60 players, chances are you just turned a player off the foundry for quite some time.

I experienced that for the first time last week, and despite my love of the foundry, and the fact I did manage to finish it, I was really frustrated by the end. I literally died more times running that foundry than I have ever died in a day's play before. And I had just skipped a quest marked "Intended for Level 60 players" to choose it. So I was quite piqued at the author for not mentioning the level suggestion in their description.

So I think Level Suggestions (Rather than requirements) isn't a bad idea at all.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Level suggestions aren't a bad idea, or descriptive text indicating intended difficulty, but that's on the author. Some of them are much better than others at letting players know what to expect.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    unsungchampionunsungchampion Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Another thing to add would be Role-Player tagged Foundries.

When a user makes one like this they only need to create a single map but it allows upwards to 10 people to be in it at a time. I know they can do it because of the Hideout seen in Champions Online which is a much older engine.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    Tons and tons more fashion items and transmutes.

Housing.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Another thing to add would be Role-Player tagged Foundries.

When a user makes one like this they only need to create a single map but it allows upwards to 10 people to be in it at a time. I know they can do it because of the Hideout seen in Champions Online which is a much older engine.
    I would raise that up to at least 20 people for guild meetings :)
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    leodrethleodreth Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Last time I played, there was pretty much no RP-friendly clothing to be found outside of the in-game shop, and even then they didn't have very many. That was a huge put-off for me when I played seven or so months ago. Only got to level 20 before I moved back to WoW and most of the armor were copies of one another and pretty bland. Even so; I like just regular clothes to play around in. I remember never wanting to throw anything in LOTRO away because of how nice most of it looked.

So, that's my issue. A lack of RP clothes. No idea if they incorporated more or not, however. It's been months since I logged in and played.
  • Options
    benja32gonsalesbenja32gonsales Member Posts: 236 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014

-A way to travel between maps without going to the world map, make some gates in PE to directly link to other Neverwinter city areas, like Blacklake or Tower district, Neverdeath graveyard or The Chasm. Add a port in PE where you can take different ships to different areas, Caer Xonig, Black Dagger Ruins, Rothé Valley, and pirate's Skyhold. All areas next to the coast, they would need to add a port too of course.

-SWIMMING! Why can't we swim? This is the only MMO I've played that has only a few feet deep water everywhere, I love swimming, it's relaxing, let our characters swim! It's just a simple animation change and shouldn't take too long.

These are mainly it, what would YOU like to see that would add to either RP or game immersion?

Agree, I WOULD LOVE if NWO was a Open World / Sandbox MMO.

What I would add (or actually removing) is the system we have to enter on the PvP and Dungeons... if you wanna PvP then go to the NPC an queue there, if you wanna go to a Dungeon, then go to the lair by yourself with your party and enter... not this easy mode system, just queue and teleport to the Dungeon...

If there were actually hard content on the maps (making that the simple fact about entering the dungeon quite an adventure with your friends or solo), then cleaning it and defeating a hard final boss... that would be awesome for my taste...

Also I would remove all the Paths that tell us where we have to go, the Gear Score while you inspect a player and all the charts from Skirmishes and Dungeons (Paingiver, etc...), and that would be to start...
  • Options
    generaldiomedesgeneraldiomedes Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    A big no to open world/sandbox/run-a-thon style MMO. I like my quick travel times. I also like that Dev resources are not wasted on designing large open spaces that nobody visits.

Immersion? Allow shortmanning of epics via run-up. Nothing ruins immersion quite like queuing for a speedroll.
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'd like day/night cycles and weather cycles, with certain weather patterns more or less prevalent depending on your location. Nighttime would add extra challenge to PvE, and in another world I used to enjoy the thunderstorms while looking west, waiting for the ship to arrive...
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I guess MMO players are changing and/or getting lazier each time, in old times you had to travel to each place on huge maps, a mount was a luxury, besides open places would be visited, many of us care about exploration.
    Besides maps are pretty small already, how long does it take to run to a dungeon? 2 mins tops? is that really important that people need everything NOW? That's of course just MY opinion.
    Day/night and weather cycles at least in PE would be cool too.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    lucifron44lucifron44 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Some class-awareness by the NPCs, like in Skyrim when your char specializes in a certain ability, the NPCs will speak to you accordingly. Theu will say things like "Hey can you enchant my sword?" if you're an enchanter, or "I have a lot of respect for Restoration" if you're a healer. In NWO this could become
    "Hey fighter, this big sword of yours is just for the look, uh? No delivering any damage really." for a gwf.
    "Why don't you get rid of this horse and buy a decent mount?" if you're 20k+ GS with a 5-gold mount.
    "Aren't you a bit too old to play with puppets?" if you're a SW
    Russian leaderboard first page. The proof.
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Another thing about cycles (day/night, weather, or otherwise). Cycles bring change and the need to adapt.

- Dark outside? Do you have infravision or a light source (magical or otherwise)?
    - Different creatures might emerge only at night -- be wary!
    - A full moon could spell danger -- or not!
    - Certain shamans might gain extra powers during thunderstorms and might be up to extra mischief.

All of these factors could do wonders for a (large, untamed) sandbox/open world zone where what happens could be *extremely* variable. Maybe most of the time little takes place, until the orc army decides to march on the night of the full moon -- unfortunately, there is also a thunderstorm that night and their rival kobolds are being whipped up by their shamans to expand their frontier. Maybe a safer route is through the dense forest to skirt both groups, but tales tell of eerie noises and creatures coming from there at night...

Edit: a tiny bit of fiction to illustrate a few of the dynamics I had in mind...

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?765681-A-Simple-Delivery&p=9083511#post9083511
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured