test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Baldur's Gate

myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
edited September 2014 in Off Topic
I hope I can discuss this in the off-topic forum . . .

Baldur's Gate was probably the best D&D experience for me in a PC-based game. I played it through many times, from the original and all expansion sets.

You ever wonder if there will be an MMO version of it?
SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    There already is although I have no idea how popular or how big the community is , here is a thread about it - http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?724181-Soloing-a-pit-fiend-in-a-MMORPG-remake-of-Baldur-s-Gate
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Is personally prefer to see an MMO set in the planescpe setting. Baldur's gate was a good game, but Torment was a masterpiece. It would offer a setting completely unique from anything done before. While still maintaining a slight familiarity due to its D&D roots.

I'd love to run around the famed city of doors. Discovering unique keys to various portals all while trying to not upset the lady of pain and cities various fractions.
  • Options
    mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Is personally prefer to see an MMO set in the planescpe setting. Baldur's gate was a good game, but Torment was a masterpiece. It would offer a setting completely unique from anything done before. While still maintaining a slight familiarity due to its D&D roots.

I'd love to run around the famed city of doors. Discovering unique keys to various portals all while trying to not upset the lady of pain and cities various fractions.
    There have been Planescape worlds around for years and years. Just like the link iambecks provided for the BG based server, except for Sigil and environs.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    There have been Planescape worlds around for years and years. Just like the link iambecks provided for the BG based server, except for Sigil and environs.

No official releases. I dont consider homebrew NWN shards to be anything equal to a full on MMO release.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    myowmyow wrote: »
    I hope I can discuss this in the off-topic forum . . .
    Any D&D product may be civilly discussed in the OT forum and to some extent, in the Moonstone Mask.

Safe travels,
    Archmage Zebular of Mystryl

PWE Community Moderator
  • Options
    zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I too fell in love with Baldur's Gate. I probably came into it a bit later than some people as the first time I played it was roughly 2 years ago when I got the enhanced remake upon release. Since then I've played all of BG1 and 2 multiple times and am working on NWN1 slowly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • Options
    bjomolfbjomolf Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Great Game, agreed!
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited September 2014
    Make way villainy! Hero coming through! *Hamster Squeaks*
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    No official releases. I dont consider homebrew NWN shards to be anything equal to a full on MMO release.
    That's too bad, I'm playing a beholder Gate Crasher right now on a server.

/yes, playable beholder race, with the Planescape specific Gate Crasher class.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    And that illustrates why they are bad. Insane over powered races or classes, added for simple wow factor. And let's not forget the other fun they bring. Admins/owners on a power trip. Favoritism to the extreme. Clique communities and drama on top of drama.

Sure there might be one in a million that avoids those issues, for a time. And that is the other problem, being privately funded they can, and often do, close on a whim. Or worse trade owners.

An MMO for all their own faults. Are generally more stable, less prone to power trips and internal drama. And are generally made for a large audience. Rather then some admins clique of friends.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    And that illustrates why they are bad. Insane over powered races or classes, added for simple wow factor. And let's not forget the other fun they bring. Admins/owners on a power trip. Favoritism to the extreme. Clique communities and drama on top of drama....
    What this illustrates is that you haven't tried these worlds. For instance the beholder player race is an underpowered race due to their very high level adjustment penalty, they wind up way behind standard race characters. In Neverwinter Online terms, they are level capped around level 40 or so with all that entails, while everyone else can go to 60. They're also held back because they can't wear most magic items (no feet mean no boots, no arms means no arm slot items, most armor's are not usable because they don't fit, no weapons because no arms, no helmets (they are not "invisible" like dragonborn) etc). I can wear the standard pair rings on eyestalks.

You also missed that I'm RPing, not trying to be super over powered. If you want RP, these places are the places to be.

Come try, you'll be surprised.