test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A word about fighting Dragons

Comments

• epclipseingmoonepclipseingmoon Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I play a combat hr that can get two hit so I have to dodge its circles if they appear or die if no one can take agro off of a class that at default gets more agro aka a gwf or gf it is not my fault if I need to move.
    @dimensionallight
    Princess Amber - DC
    Shieldmaiden Amber - GF
    Valkyrie Amber - GWF
    Huntress Amber - HR
  • xd108xxd108x Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You know the issue isnt most time that people are trying to sabotage the fight, it's more that they have no idea how to play as a team or how to be a tank. Dragon's have been in NWO since the beginning and the issue of GWFs or even GFs dancing around the dragon with no clue how turning it around in circles affects the rest of the people trying to attack it is a sympton of that sadly. The amount of times I have had to tell whoever it is that is 'tanking' Fulmi in Malabog's Castle to a) NOT turn the dragon around unnecessarily or it will tail swipe the rest of the group or b) NOT to help on Valindra because then the dragon will either end up breathing on the group, tail swiping people, and make it a lot harder to target her.

So yeh I think this game just doesnt punish thoughtless behaviour enough :( which is why you get TRs, GWFs and CWs charging in first without a thought other than how much damage they can do or just thinking so long as they dont get hit/can survive then it's all fine :O

But I think these dragon HEs might help people think more about how to work better as a team if we r lucky, especially if enough people rage at people playing badly as part of a group :)

My advice from someone who has had a fair amount of experience tanking dragons in this game and in WoW:
    1) Try to keep the dragon facing the same way and dont move to the left/right in any extreme way.
    2) Try to position the dragon so the majority of the people who are helping are positioned to the sides of it.
    3) If you have to turn the dragon for some reason, it's generally better in this game to turn it's head into the group briefly as it's breath attacks are less frequent than it's tail swipes and are easier avoided.
    4) If you are a GF try using skills like Knights Challenge, this is quite useful as it locks aggro/threat on you while reducing damage done by the dragon to everyone else. Also as a GF you should NOT be trying to avoid its general melee attacks, you have a shield and several useful skills to help you survive being hit. That said things like breath attacks are still better avoided.
  • epclipseingmoonepclipseingmoon Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It's a pity this does not work like mc's dragon because in these events your own dps actually counts end of story.
    @dimensionallight
    Princess Amber - DC
    Shieldmaiden Amber - GF
    Valkyrie Amber - GWF
    Huntress Amber - HR
  • demonkyuubidemonkyuubi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It's a pity this does not work like mc's dragon because in these events your own dps actually counts end of story.

pretty much this. these heroics actually encourage us to be selfish, obnoxious, jerkish, prickly, uncooperative, etc. in fact some have yet to complete their black ice sets after how many months now?

we are not guildies. we are not friends. we are not even in the same group. we are all competing for the highest score and that's it. nothing more and nothing less.

i have even seen 3+ people ignore a dead person in need of a revive who was literally right next to them.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    I play a combat hr that can get two hit so I have to dodge its circles if they appear or die if no one can take agro off of a class that at default gets more agro aka a gwf or gf it is not my fault if I need to move.

Where possible, dodge backwards rather than sideways (depending on the shape of the red). I've found that to be a good way to avoid doom without <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> everyone else up. This holds not just for the HE dragons, but the one at the end of MC (for example), which moves very slowly.
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    xd108x wrote: »
    You know the issue isnt most time that people are trying to sabotage the fight, it's more that they have no idea how to play as a team or how to be a tank.
    I wouldn't necessarily be so sure about this. I just did the Ebon Downs dragon and part way through some jerk (or jerks) aggroed every single mob in the area and dragged them into the fight - including the two golems who wander around the outer area and who nobody should be going anywhere near.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
    edited August 2014
    I'm guessing you play a ranged class then? that does not want to put any effort into dodgeing like melee classes have to unless you are a gf? So im attacking its sides and it launches a circle attack at me i should move back while you ranged classes get points in? NO a normal sucess does not give you the chance to get worthwhile gear.
    @dimensionallight
    Princess Amber - DC
    Shieldmaiden Amber - GF
    Valkyrie Amber - GWF
    Huntress Amber - HR
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Some people are just scared and trying to avoid getting one-hit by the dragon. Some people are immature spasms trying to mess with others.

I just worry about killing the dragon myself and don't stress myself out about people running all over the place.

Too much analysis of a minor topic. :P
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
    edited August 2014
    Oh but what this subjects states is if dragons should happen to target you just die because you are an evil melee troll. Dosent matter if its breath freezeball, electroball or anything just die if your a melee class cause with ranged classes logic is the dragon will never target them.
    @dimensionallight
    Princess Amber - DC
    Shieldmaiden Amber - GF
    Valkyrie Amber - GWF
    Huntress Amber - HR
    edited August 2014
    I'm not sure melee people targetting by the dragon should feel they have to die :P Just they could dodge while also thinking of the rest of the group, so not constantly run circles around it for example. Ranged people are just as likely to get targetted/aggro through, it's just based on how much threat/damage you are doing to it. GFs can hold it's attention on it however since they do something like 400% threat to marked targets along with having several useful skills to help them keep and grab aggro.
    edited August 2014
    Umm no ranged people will never get randomly targeted that is what the op is saying. I am being more conciderate now by dieing if im am targeted at the sides are you ranged classes happy?
    @dimensionallight
    Princess Amber - DC
    Shieldmaiden Amber - GF
    Valkyrie Amber - GWF
    Huntress Amber - HR
  • nuudlznuudlz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm not spinning the dragon - the dragon is spinning me.

Greetings - your beloved TR community
    The Zisters' Magazine - Subscribe now and you'll never run out of style.

We are always looking for new models --- Borderline Fashiondolls ---
  • doriangreighdoriangreigh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 707 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Umm no ranged people will never get randomly targeted that is what the op is saying. I am being more conciderate now by dieing if im am targeted at the sides are you ranged classes happy?

Since i'm the OP let me clarify, I play my warlock in melee, so yes I do stand a bit to the side but I don't stand under the wings. In fact I choose to stand in front of the dragon and take the hits (granted I have a crazy amount of temp HP and really high lifesteal on my SW at lvl 22, which is now 28). I find actually getting hit secures me the great success assuming I can stand in front of it. I have not been one shotted by a melee attack from the dragon its the breath and aoe on the ground that can do that but from what I can tell those are mostly dots so not instant death.

I'm saying as a melee fighting SW I can take hits and keep the dragon in place better than every other melee class out there that SHOULD be able to do it especially if they are level 60.

If I didn't get knocked into adds periodicially after they spawn I could easily solo the dragon (assuming I can kill it before the timer ran out).

My point being is all these people that run crazy all over the map or just run in circles spinning the dragon like a top.

We are NOT talking about a slow methodical turn that everyone could keep up with, the a-holes are intentionally running on the opposite side or taking one swing and moving one swing and move one swing and move its no wonder they complain about not getting great success with idiotic tactics like that. These people are NOT group friendly and have NO clue on how to melee in this game.

As for ranged players, the biggest problems are the HR players who have been given rather HIGH damage output but still have no real capacity to take getting hit once they draw aggro. Again they need to learn to play either by gearing up so they can take a hit once they get aggro OR learn how to manage their damage rotation so that they don't burst so high they get aggro. Once most HR I have seen fighting dragons get aggro they end up running everywhere to get away from being hit causing such a chaotic mess it makes you just wanna die and sit and watch the mess they create.

People need to learn what their class role is. You CAN get combat advantage without being on total opposite sides of others since the CA area is a rather wide half circle so those people with that excuse again still don't know what they are doing.
    edited August 2014
    As for ranged players, the biggest problems are the HR players who have been given rather HIGH damage output but still have no real capacity to take getting hit once they draw aggro. Again they need to learn to play either by gearing up so they can take a hit once they get aggro OR learn how to manage their damage rotation so that they don't burst so high they get aggro. Once most HR I have seen fighting dragons get aggro they end up running everywhere to get away from being hit causing such a chaotic mess it makes you just wanna die and sit and watch the mess they create.

^ This...applies to anyone playing a damage class in an MMO. They need to understand that being able to do high damage is not helpful when playing with others if you don't know how/when to use it. For example if you have a GF trying to tank the dragon for you but you just go full nuke the moment teh fight starts, then you can only blame yourself. Understand that if you want a more coordinated and less chaotic fight then think about positioning and threat management.
  • thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    As a GF that knows what he is doing, let me put this out there, OP;

Even with the new aggro buff, do you know how hard it is for us to maintain the dragon's aggro when we are competing with 10 - 20 DPSers standing all around it attacking it as well as other GFs and GWFs marking it? So instead of yelling at nub GFs, think about that for a second. If we stop attacking for a split second the dragon goes looking for the next source of aggro, which could be the CW doing tons of damage to its left flank or another GF that is generating aggro on the right flank. And if there are multiple GFs positioned differently, they will pull the dragon around, because guess what, you can't have 2 - 6 GFs standing in the exact same place.

Conclusion: Stop crying and MOVE! The dragons are easy enough with ~20 people attacking it, so why having to dodge the occasional red is a problem I don't know.

As for aggroing the surrounding mobs, it isn't always sabotage. The dragon's wing attacks can knock you away and into something and f you are ranged, you may not be 100% aware of your surroundings and in your desire to evade the dragon's ranged attacks you may unwittingly dodge into a mob. I myself done the latter in Ebon Downs, but I face-tanked them and didn't lure them closer to the dragon. Folks shouldn't be so cynical. I'm not saying there are idiots around, but that isn't always the case.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
    edited August 2014
    People like the op are inconciderate of the fact these encounters rely on damage and healing ontop of the rng to get good prizes.

So if your a melee class dont use any attacks that could get agro dont use skills like flurry and foxshift unequip your pvorp cause you may suddenly get agro even if you are smashing one of its sides and the dragon may turn how scary us ranged classes have to move rather than sit and nuke.

Solution fix the whole rng system to encourage team play because I will not drop my skills to get a normal sucess over a great one that I could get good items from end of story.
    @dimensionallight
    Princess Amber - DC
    Shieldmaiden Amber - GF
    Valkyrie Amber - GWF
    Huntress Amber - HR
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    xd108x wrote: »
    ^ This...applies to anyone playing a damage class in an MMO. They need to understand that being able to do high damage is not helpful when playing with others if you don't know how/when to use it. For example if you have a GF trying to tank the dragon for you but you just go full nuke the moment teh fight starts, then you can only blame yourself. Understand that if you want a more coordinated and less chaotic fight then think about positioning and threat management.
    Sometimes aggro can surprise you, we don't really have a method to measure it in Neverwinter. Tonight doing my dragon daily on my SW I pulled aggro no matter what I did. I have 11kgs and a wardog to reduce aggro currently. It's not like I'm some 20kgs toon that should expect it.
  • lucifron44lucifron44 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I repeat my level 22 warlock and tank a dragon better than most of you level 60 players

As you'll realize if your char ever grows, below lvl 30 the players are vastly superior to the foes. As levels go higher the foes become comparatively stronger. At lvl 60 your warlock will get OS-ed by the dragon. And I repeat, your warlock, not a warlock belonging to any other lvl 60 player.
    Russian leaderboard first page. The proof.
  • zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I've been wondering the same thing. I'm constantly thinking to myself, "stop **** turning the dragon in circles! why the **** are you doing that!?"

Maybe its coming from my experience with tanking in WoW, but isn't the point of tanking to keep the mobs in the correct position so people can do the most damage to it while you maintain its attention?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • daggon87daggon87 Member Posts: 288 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    No, in HE, the point of tanking is to receive as much damage as possible to try to rank for great success.
    Olaf, freelance guardian fighter.
    Enorla, Oh so devoted cleric.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    daggon87 wrote: »
    No, in HE, the point of tanking is to receive as much damage as possible to try to rank for great success.

or to make everyone else have to move more and dps less so that your chances for great success and a good drop go up. Just saying, it is mechanically a viable plan.
  • rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The funny part about this entire thread is you're probably preaching to the choir. Less than what 10% of players visit the forums, even less than that will even look at this thread. I havent seen anyone yet say "omg Im NOT supposed to spin this dragon around in circles".

Really you need to tell them ingame when it happens. That's the best time to do it.

The way these and all HEs are setup as mentioned earlier, dont really tend to encourage teamplay. They are way eaiser than for example motherload, where total chaos can occur and wipe everyone.

If it happens tell them ingame, cause I dont think you're hitting the intended audience. This will be a bigger issue when people unlock the skirm/dungeon, than spinning will really cause issues most likely.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • ximaeximae Member Posts: 534 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    So much drama for these easy dragons? LOL

So what u get tailed slappd once in a while... the dragon will probably be dead before the res counter finishes XD
  • erhgferhgf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Just being a devil's advocate: How could you expect people to cooperate on HEs when they can't cooperate out of a paper bag in dungeons? At least in dungeons you got a pre-picked group, rather than this random mob you get at HEs.
  • dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Quick easy guidelines for "how to kill a chromatic dragon" from a half silver dragon -

1) Throw things at it if you can.
    2) If you have to stand near the dragon then keep at the side of the belly.
    3) Avoid head and tail.
    4) If you are injured then chug a heal potion before it roars. (You'll see the head go up, and wings tilt down for a flap.)
    5) Use things that bring down the damage resistance to help others hit it well. (IE - TRs use Wicked Reminder so fighters can hit it harder.)
    6) Running away briefly is recommended should the dragon ever even look like it's going to hover for a wing buffet, or spew breath weapon at you. (Red circles/ lines help you avoid the pathways of this.)
    7) Keep the dragon in one place so clerics can properly place the healing circles for those attacking.
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
    edited August 2014
    lucifron44 wrote: »
    As you'll realize if your char ever grows, below lvl 30 the players are vastly superior to the foes. As levels go higher the foes become comparatively stronger. At lvl 60 your warlock will get OS-ed by the dragon. And I repeat, your warlock, not a warlock belonging to any other lvl 60 player.

the only thing that is one shotting people are those caught unaware, or stuck in a acid cloud or breath attack, melee attacks don't one shot (probably a crit does).

My CW is level 60 and it too can tank the dragon better than most people fighting the field. SO don't give me this BS about the level scaling favoring lower level toons.

Now my CW is pretty tricked out in black ice gear so he can take a lot of hits to begin with. But the point is even if I have to dodge a lot I don't spin the dragon in circles causing the dragon to tail slap everyone else in the group.

Even if you CANNOT take a hit from the dragon and you get aggro there are ways to keep the dragon facing while NOT getting yourself killed.

What is with you people and thinking that running around in circles is a good idea? Let me guess you all came to this game from a FPS where strafing actually was an advantage? Let me tell you all this, strafing is NOT something that works in this game unless you are soloing, if you are in a group learn to play in a coordinated fashion, if you can't go back to your FPS where circle strafing is a viable and useful tool.
    edited August 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    or to make everyone else have to move more and dps less so that your chances for great success and a good drop go up. Just saying, it is mechanically a viable plan.

then i suggest you find yourself a solo single player game or fight the dragon by yourself, the mere fact that you suggest a viable option is NOT to learn how to benefit a group but to screw other people out their time and effort is just another point at what is wrong with the player base.

people like you should play single player games and have not business in a multiplayer game in which you are supposed to work with others to finish.

got news for you, the intent is for dragons to be fought by groups, so if you want good drops fight the dragons at off times and do it by yourself and see how far that gets you.

another viable plan is go find another game to play where you don't have to learn how to play YOUR class to an effect that benefits you as much as a group.
    edited August 2014
    erhgf wrote: »
    Just being a devil's advocate: How could you expect people to cooperate on HEs when they can't cooperate out of a paper bag in dungeons? At least in dungeons you got a pre-picked group, rather than this random mob you get at HEs.

i've been in instances where people show up in small groups who don't know each and actually work towards controlling and killing the dragon in a fashion that will most likely give everyone a good shot at high end rewards (RNG willing). so it can and does happen.

i'm pretty sure i started saying that pugs are a disorganized mess to begin with and its made even worse in these so called heroic encounters. having said that, i really do which these had invisible barriers to cross that caused the dragon location to be instanced by itself so that you can do just that, go in with an actual organized group of 10 or less.
  • daggon87daggon87 Member Posts: 288 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    @doriangreigh : But the HE are not about teamplay, they are about competition between the players. You are the one not understanding the game you're playing here.
    Olaf, freelance guardian fighter.
    Enorla, Oh so devoted cleric.
  • rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    meh getting ridiculous..
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas