test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is Cryptic actually interested in "fixing" the economy?

Comments

• Options
    anharmonanharmon Member Posts: 175
    edited August 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    Rift
    Lotro
    DDO
    TSW
    GW2
    Defiance
    are all f2p or buy 2 play options from the top of my head with comparable quality.

Honestly, with the exception of Rift, I don't think any of these games can compete or will be able to. NWO is new, it's shiny, and it's got a huge playerbase. I hate to say it (I've invested some of my soul into LOTRO, for example), but NWO is one of the best choices out there.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    bernatk wrote: »
    None of them better than this game. Also, TSW, GW2 is money only.

That's your opinion, and I assume that people could decide to do other things with their leisure time as well. I like books, but I also hear there's a thing called a telly-vision.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014

That is highly subjective. And I mentioned that some of them were buy to play, ie you have to pay but no sub. Anyways like I said it's subjective, I can name things I think each game does better and worse than neverwinter. I'm playing neverwinter right now so I partially agree with you, but I could be happy playing any of those other games too if something happens to make me lose interest here.

edit*

The point is that they are all competitors and strong ones for the same marketshare that neverwinter is going for. If the pr and quality don't improve here, well you get the idea.
  • Options
    harkurharkur Member Posts: 305 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014

How did "better" get to be the bar when the bar you set was "as good" by saying NW is the 2nd best game in the West? Moving the goalposts; it's frowned on.
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    harkur wrote: »
    How did "better" get to be the bar when the bar you set was "as good" by saying NW is the 2nd best game in the West? Moving the goalposts; it's frowned on.

If you reread my posts in this thread, you will understand. (... I hope.)
    JMYwySk.jpg
  • Options
    hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    This is the 2nd best MMO in the west

If you mean best free MMO in the west, maybe you're right because I have no idea about this.

If you mean best MMO ever in the west, you're very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very wrong.
    (´・ ω ・`)
  • Options
    jrfbrunetjrfbrunet Member Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It's not just that. The ZAX problems are indicative of fundamental problems in the game. You don't put money into something you think will likely fail no matter if you like it or not. I like this game and put money into it at first, and still would except that no matter how much I like this game, I think it has too many issues to last very long and because of this I can't justify spending my money anymore.

I agree with your sentiment, but from the perspective of a new player thinking about spending some money - the chances that the game will completely 'die' before you've had the chance to enjoy a few months of end-game game-play are very remote.

Every MMO I've ever played (with the exception of you know who) and spent money on has effectively 'died' enough for me to force me to move on (even though servers still operate). That's just the nature of the genre.

The ZAX is a great idea for a F2P game, and if Cryptic can find a way to fix it, they will.

Unless their business model has a known and accepted termination date.
    Where'd my blinky-blinky path go?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    jrfbrunet wrote: »
    I agree with your sentiment, but from the perspective of a new player thinking about spending some money - the chances that the game will completely 'die' before you've had the chance to enjoy a few months of end-game game-play are very remote.

Every MMO I've ever played (with the exception of you know who) and spent money on has effectively 'died' enough for me to force me to move on (even though servers still operate). That's just the nature of the genre.

The ZAX is a great idea for a F2P game, and if Cryptic can find a way to fix it, they will.

Unless their business model has a known and accepted termination date.

Well for me, that time limit is 2 years. If I don't think the game will last two more years I don't spend. I'm not spending.
  • Options
    twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I was always under the impression that a F2P game model was based on a pretty simple assumption:
    You can play the majority of the game for free so that you can decide if you like the game enough to start spending money on it.
    That's the old 'freemium' model, where free players had limits or content blocks that subscribers didn't have. The problem is that for every player who hit the content block and decided to subscribe there were 5 that just left the game.

Many games are moving away from that model and NW was set up to be completely FTP from the start. The new model that NW pioneered gives 100% of the game for free and relies on people being tempted to use the cash shop for 'extras'. If people feel that they HAVE to spend cash on a game that advertises itself as 100% FTP (which NW does) they will feel ripped off and most likely leave. It's a fine balance to strike and right now Cryptic are struggling to maintain it.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    If people feel that they HAVE to spend cash on a game that advertises itself as 100% FTP (which NW does) they will feel ripped off and most likely leave. It's a fine balance to strike and right now Cryptic are struggling to maintain it.

True enough.

It seems like the fine line Cryptic is walking has mostly to due with AD inflation causing Zax issues. Otherwise, people didn't complain about buying Zen in the ZAX in order to buy Coal wards and such, right?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Rift
    Lotro
    DDO
    TSW
    GW2
    Defiance
    are all f2p or buy 2 play options from the top of my head with comparable quality.
    None of them have as compelling a combat system as NW IMO, which frankly is what's keeping me here. I also like the D&D lore (long time PnP player) which only DDO offers from that list. Otherwise I tend to agree, although they all have issues.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    True enough.

It seems like the fine line Cryptic is walking has mostly to due with AD inflation causing Zax issues. Otherwise, people didn't complain about buying Zen in the ZAX in order to buy Coal wards and such, right?
    Hyperinflation of the AD economy is the root cause IMO. The problems with the Zax are a symptom and have now become a contributory factor.

Free players had access to Zen through the Zax and also access to Zen items in the AH at reasonable prices. That is no longer the case. Add in the brake on character advancement caused by the astronomical cost of gear and enchantments and you have a pretty toxic mix.

I'm no Chicken Licken but I do worry that NW will struggle to recover from this. Mod 4 is going to shake things up considerably and not everyone is going to like those changes (to say the least) which will put further strain on player retention. Hopefully the new content will offset this but there could be troubled times ahead.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Free players had access to Zen through the Zax and also access to Zen items in the AH at reasonable prices. That is no longer the case. Add in the brake on character advancement caused by the astronomical cost of gear and enchantments and you have a pretty toxic mix.

this seems like a situation that would fix itself:

if players can't afford the AH prices, the gear won't sell and the seller's lose the posting fee. As a result, prices drop until demand returns to normal levels.
    How is it that prices are 'high' right now if no one can afford them? Someone's buying all that stuff at these high prices.

Or do we mean to say that the only people buying at these prices are whales/former exploiters/gold sellers laundering money?
  • Options
    ixalmarisixalmaris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    None of them have as compelling a combat system as NW IMO

That is a pretty subjective thing. Some like NWs combat system, some like the more traditional approach in SWTOR and some like the more active system like in Conan or Terra.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    That's the old 'freemium' model, where free players had limits or content blocks that subscribers didn't have. The problem is that for every player who hit the content block and decided to subscribe there were 5 that just left the game.

Many games are moving away from that model and NW was set up to be completely FTP from the start. The new model that NW pioneered gives 100% of the game for free and relies on people being tempted to use the cash shop for 'extras'. If people feel that they HAVE to spend cash on a game that advertises itself as 100% FTP (which NW does) they will feel ripped off and most likely leave. It's a fine balance to strike and right now Cryptic are struggling to maintain it.

I wish this forum had an "agree" button. And even then, I'd be mad after reading this post there wasn't an "agree MORE" button :)
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I doubt they are interested in "fixing" it. To them it isn't "broken".

if people can't buy zen with AD, they have to buy it from... you guessed THE $ZEN STORE.

they are prob like "what's the problem again?"
  • Options
    karakla1karakla1 Member Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I think I have an issue or two with your proposals:

-Institute a 1 million AD hard cap? Really? How many long-term players do you suppose that's going to <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> off? How many whales?

It's only a hard cap to voided AD. The normal 100.000.000 AD will still exist. You will only lose AD at the end of the month.
    Example: You have now 1.500.000 AD, you was nearly every day in the month online which means -820.000 AD (30*24.000+100.000 AD). You have the cap of 1 million, which means instead of -820.000 AD you only lose 500.000 AD, and only then if you didn't buy stuff (which means you can "rescue" a part of your profit by buying stuff and later resell it, this means a lot of people buying "stuff" which would be spammed over the auction house which cause the crumble the prices a bit down).

And i don't understand how a huge mass of dead fund/capital is of use for the whales. I mean, we have people in the game that flipping millions only for fun and gather more and more AD which has a huge influence on the prices in the auction house. (In the normal real life stock markets, there are limits how much money you can invest, because they now how dangerouse it is)

Close the Zax and royally <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> off the people who have been in line for a week-10 days and make them all start over at some point when it re-opens...cutting new players off from converting cash to AD conpletely in the interim? How does that help?

Have Cryptic place bids on all the low-priced items on the AH? Surely you can't be serious? How is driving prices on the AH UP a good thing? It's possible I simply don't understand this suggestion, but I can't see any reading of that where the game company entering the player market is a good thing except in cases of rampant deflation...which we most assuredly do not have.

It's only a temporary action, like an event. And it will drive the prices down! Not up! The effect will be that cryptic gather a lot of astral diamonds. If this happens they put out a lot of astral diamonds out of the game, which will release the pressure of the Zax.

And if they do nothing, the paywall will increase.
    plat.png
    Platypus wielding a giant hammer, your argument is invalild!
  • Options
    akemnosakemnos Member Posts: 597 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I totally missed the part where you sugggested a 1 million cap. That is terrible. All that means is now instead of buying what I want when I want you are forceing me to buy things that I dont want.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    this seems like a situation that would fix itself:

if players can't afford the AH prices, the gear won't sell and the seller's lose the posting fee. As a result, prices drop until demand returns to normal levels.
    How is it that prices are 'high' right now if no one can afford them? Someone's buying all that stuff at these high prices.

Or do we mean to say that the only people buying at these prices are whales/former exploiters/gold sellers laundering money?
    There are some factors that act against the return to equilibrium:
    1. The aforementioned whales and exploiters.
    2. The reluctance of sellers to accept a lower price.
    3. Scarcity of supply.

I also think that we're in a state where a lot of the AH activity is flipping and/or stockpiling by folks who have got wealthy on working the market. Mod 4 is coming in a few days which always stimulates demand, and there will be plenty of whales needed gear for shiny new SW toons or regearing existing toons for the new content and changes to classes.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    laks0nlaks0n Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Again and again. I already told you people that you will get nothing by acting this way. I'm speaking like a broken record so much that I would not be suprised if some people thought I was a PW undercover. But I wont give up, just because I want good changes and I'll need your help to make them.

Most people complain that this game is "f2p" and that ZAX being "broken" is somehow conflicting this. Lets think about a few things here:

1. There is nothing in zen store that is A MUST to play this game. The closest thing that comes to this are coal wards, which is probably why there is so much hype around them, but not only aren't they essential (the 1% chance does exist, I tested it myself) but there are ways to get them becides zen shop OR auction house. Dont try to sell me stories about how "praying drop chance is so low that it's like it doesn't exist" because when I see people acting like they do in this thread, I dont even know why is the company giving you so much when you are just biting on it. I guess whoever is in charge of these items is a bigger man then I am.

2. ZAX is not here for your convenience. As silly as it sounds to you, your AD is worth more then zen. ZAX exists for the convenience of people that SELL zen, because this company knows that there are people that want to enjoy this game but dont have time or energy to farm AD because they are busy doing their hard jobs to make money that they use to support us f2p people. So they created the ZAX so those people can get AD (which is used in almost every aspect of this game) and make a few devoted players happy as well by giving them some zen. They dont even take a cut. Like I said, bigger men then I am. This "scary boo-boo" backlog most of you are talking about is here just because people are preparing for mod4 launch, and they know that there will be heavy flow on ZAX in both ways. In a month it will clear by itself.

After we have thought about this a little, we realise that the only problem here is that you can't get your FREE zen. And to take some worries off your head, you will be happy to know that ZAX is also flowing faster in ZEN selling part too. We can't see it because we can only see the infamous "backlog" but a few days ago I recieved my zen for AD I posted a week ago (a week from the moment I got it, not right now). I dont remember the backlog when I posted it, but I am sure it was over 8 million. Not bad, right? So keep your chin up and wait for mod4.
  • Options
    akemnosakemnos Member Posts: 597 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    fyi backlog is at least 10 days currently. posted an offer on the 29th that hasn't been filled yet.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    akemnos wrote: »
    fyi backlog is at least 10 days currently. posted an offer on the 29th that hasn't been filled yet.

AT LEAST 10 DAYS! That's tragic! Although I remember when people used to tell me I will get my zen trough zax in 2 weeks IF I AM LUCKY.

I mean no disrespect, but this is all a bit hilarious. What is so important in zen store that it can't wait for your offer to go trough...
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    laks0n wrote: »
    Again and again. I already told you people that you will get nothing by acting this way. I'm speaking like a broken record so much that I would not be suprised if some people thought I was a PW undercover. But I wont give up, just because I want good changes and I'll need your help to make them.

Most people complain that this game is "f2p" and that ZAX being "broken" is somehow conflicting this. Lets think about a few things here:

1. There is nothing in zen store that is A MUST to play this game. The closest thing that comes to this are coal wards, which is probably why there is so much hype around them, but not only aren't they essential (the 1% chance does exist, I tested it myself) but there are ways to get them becides zen shop OR auction house. Dont try to sell me stories about how "praying drop chance is so low that it's like it doesn't exist" because when I see people acting like they do in this thread, I dont even know why is the company giving you so much when you are just biting on it. I guess whoever is in charge of these items is a bigger man then I am.

2. ZAX is not here for your convenience. As silly as it sounds to you, your AD is worth more then zen. ZAX exists for the convenience of people that SELL zen, because this company knows that there are people that want to enjoy this game but dont have time or energy to farm AD because they are busy doing their hard jobs to make money that they use to support us f2p people. So they created the ZAX so those people can get AD (which is used in almost every aspect of this game) and make a few devoted players happy as well by giving them some zen. They dont even take a cut. Like I said, bigger men then I am. This "scary boo-boo" backlog most of you are talking about is here just because people are preparing for mod4 launch, and they know that there will be heavy flow on ZAX in both ways. In a month it will clear by itself.

After we have thought about this a little, we realise that the only problem here is that you can't get your FREE zen. And to take some worries off your head, you will be happy to know that ZAX is also flowing faster in ZEN selling part too. We can't see it because we can only see the infamous "backlog" but a few days ago I recieved my zen for AD I posted a week ago (a week from the moment I got it, not right now). I dont remember the backlog when I posted it, but I am sure it was over 8 million. Not bad, right? So keep your chin up and wait for mod4.
    AT LEAST 10 DAYS! That's tragic! Although I remember when people used to tell me I will get my zen trough zax in 2 weeks IF I AM LUCKY.

I mean no disrespect, but this is all a bit hilarious. What is so important in zen store that it can't wait for your offer to go trough...

You really don't understand the f2p model well and the value of free players and them having a functional way of getting cash shop points. Having it broken is losing free and paying customers.
  • Options
    harkurharkur Member Posts: 305 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014

What do you care? It's like you're saying akemnos' concern has no validity. And who are you again that he should justify his concerns to you? I love how you add "I mean no disrespect" and then move on to finding his concerns hilarious.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    What do you care? It's like you're saying akemnos' concern has no validity. And who are you again that he should justify his concerns to you? I love how you add "I mean no disrespect" and then move on to finding his concerns hilarious.

Anytime "I mean no disrespect" is used, it means loads of disrespect while trying to sound like someone with manners.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    double post
  • Options
    anharmonanharmon Member Posts: 175
    edited August 2014
    IMO, a few days is acceptable. Two weeks or more? The ZAX becomes more of a show that "this game is completely f2p, you can get all items" while making actually playing completely free difficult and time-consuming. Note that I'm not saying it's p2w (nothing on the Zen store is necessary to go through the game), only that it's no longer reasonable to suggest somebody could get everything in-game without spending money -- which is a big selling point of Neverwinter, am I right?

Two weeks is a long time, especially for NW. In two weeks I could level a new toon to level 60 without much effort. By power-leveling, most likely two. All in the time it takes for the ZAX to cycle through the backlog.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

My apologies to Akemnos, I realy meant no disrespect to him :) . I just find this whole charade ridiculous. ZAX is run 90% by players and 10% by gold sellers (which are also players, in a way, but that's another story). Everyone here wants it to be "fixed". Every "fix" suggested here so far is to constrict players, so that other players might get trough faster. What people here want is very paradoxal, since the simplest way to say it is that they want to hurt themselves.

Even better is the statement that "I dont understand the f2p model". What you are aiming for is a f2p model that is 100% f2p. In other words, the company is going to invest without getting anything back because it's all free. I checked every item in zen shop. Most are cosmetic. NONE are essential to gameplay. Most valued gear item (in my opinion) are the vault of the nine trinkets, and they are also 100% obtainable without spending a dime. I have to go off now, but I'd love you to answer me this so I can read it tomorow.

What is f2p for you, and what is this item that isn't obtainable ingame and essential to it without paying?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    My apologies to Akemnos, I realy meant no disrespect to him :) . I just find this whole charade ridiculous. ZAX is run 90% by players and 10% by gold sellers (which are also players, in a way, but that's another story). Everyone here wants it to be "fixed". Every "fix" suggested here so far is to constrict players, so that other players might get trough faster. What people here want is very paradoxal, since the simplest way to say it is that they want to hurt themselves.

Even better is the statement that "I dont understand the f2p model". What you are aiming for is a f2p model that is 100% f2p. In other words, the company is going to invest without getting anything back because it's all free. I checked every item in zen shop. Most are cosmetic. NONE are essential to gameplay. Most valued gear item (in my opinion) are the vault of the nine trinkets, and they are also 100% obtainable without spending a dime. I have to go off now, but I'd love you to answer me this so I can read it tomorow.

What is f2p for you, and what is this item that isn't obtainable ingame and essential to it without paying?
    F2P means you can get everything for free. However there is usually a large grind to do this so that it is more efficient to spend real money. We have this grind in the grind to get AD. To then be stuck in the checkout lane for 2 weeks plus is game destroying as it is making people leave. Let me explain that to you because you really don't get the f2p model. You need free players. They fill groups. They also usually pay something. You start making it where you have to spend you drive off the free players. The sometimes paying players stop paying and start thinking about leaving, the game gets emptier, more players leave and it feeds back. The bad reviews make new players not join, and the game needs to combine servers or close. Since we don't have multiple servers, well. You seem to have nothing but condescension and hatred for some reason toward free players, yet they make it where the world is populated enough that you have something you can spend money on.