test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Something A Bit Disturbing Happened In Icewind Dale Today.......

jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
edited August 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
So, I was participating in the Bear Rider Roundup, mostly for funzies (I got my full set of Black Ice Gear just a couple of days ago and am still in the "GRAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HALFLING SMASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" phase) when I got a message saying that I got a Triple Kill. I then remembered that I had not visited a Campfire since doing my PvP Dailies. So it looks like I may have inadvertently killed three other folks just trying to complete a Heroic. If any of you are reading this: It was an accident and I am genuinely embarrassed and apologetic. I have never gotten any such messages before and, indeed, had no idea that I could kill other players during Heroic Encounters. This is a problem, if indeed it works like that. What makes it even more disturbing is that I received the Elk Tribe Bow during this fight (the only Elk or Bear Tribe Item I have ever received). Does this mean that killing other Players is counting towards your Score for the Encounter? Because @*#&$^ I hope not. Although it WOULD explain why the best PvP classes seem to be the ones with the most success in finding the Gloves and Main Hand.
Anyone else out there in Player Land see this happen?

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
Post edited by jorifice1 on

Comments

• rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    let me bet....gwf?
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You monster!

Though in order to damage others, they need to be flagged for pvp too. Though it can be easy to be lazy sometimes.
  • oicidrazoicidraz Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    One time I was fightning a GWF in a Epic Encounter (Beholder), it was fun xD... However, it could be that you killed 3 ppl in the HE or maybe you attacked 3 ppl and then another dude killed them (cause in OPVP you don't get assist, only kills).
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,462 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    There is some oddness in open world PvP zones. My HR has *never* been in a PvP match, yet she earned Helping Hand II just from heroic encounters. In IWD, I take PvP notifications with a huge grain of salt.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have this evil urge to snipe people that are flagged and doing HE's now.
  • valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    My cleric has been racking up Assist points doing HE's just using that silly Astral blue circle thingy. :confused:
  • wimpazoidwimpazoid Member Posts: 504 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    hustin1 wrote: »
    There is some oddness in open world PvP zones. My HR has *never* been in a PvP match, yet she earned Helping Hand II just from heroic encounters. In IWD, I take PvP notifications with a huge grain of salt.
    If its the revive players one. Reviving players count anywhere while not being flagged.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    I've gotten PvP Achievements in Skirmishes before due to wierd bugs, which I am not sure if they've been fixed or not. Perhaps this was also due to a bug?

wimpazoid wrote: »
    If its the revive players one. Reviving players count anywhere while not being flagged.
    This too confused me when I first got the achievement. I forget the name of it off hand also.
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    I have this evil urge to snipe people that are flagged and doing HE's now.

You know, there have been a few cases where I suddenly started taking CRAZY amounts of damage in some HE's, just out of no where. I assumed that I had just started to attract the attention of something particularly baddazz, but now I am starting to believe that I was taking fire from other players doing exactly that ;)

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    I've gotten PvP Achievements in Skirmishes before due to wierd bugs, which I am not sure if they've been fixed or not. Perhaps this was also due to a bug?

This too confused me when I first got the achievement. I forget the name of it off hand also.

So, Zeb, looking at your new Avatar one question comes to mind: How long HAVE you been a member of the Paladins For The Elimination Of Troublesome Dragons?

• bazgcbazgc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 184 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    So, Zeb, looking at your new Avatar one question comes to mind: How long HAVE you been a member of the Paladins For The Elimination Of Troublesome Dragons?

It could be "People for the Ethical Treatment of Dragons", "People for the Elite Training of Dogs", or even "Players with Extremely Theatrical Deaths".
    My Foundry Quests:

The Silver Sword - NW-DEIPWYISA - Daily Qualified
    A Relaxing Stay - NW-DEEYNZYZ9 - Daily Qualified but going to be updated
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    Hrm, 'figures there'd be a Paladin Order of such a nature here-abouts! I shall need to call forth a delegation of the Council! Indeed.

bazgc wrote: »
    It could be "People for the Ethical Treatment of Dragons", "People for the Elite Training of Dogs", or even "Players with Extremely Theatrical Deaths".
    The first, for sure! I don't know why anyone would want to kill a dragon, lest in self defense! Although the third one could easily be presumed at many of my "close-calls."
  • obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I did that once.... Trying to REVIVE a downed player. He came back and kicked my butt.
    I pmed him an apology and explained what happened. Figured my Eye of Lathander
    was recharging, since it didn't work on him. Heroic encounters can be messy.

Maybe they should let us rez opponents when they're outside the PvP areas?

...Oh, yeah. I have previously been notified that I got a kill well after I left the
    PvP zone. Dunno if they fixed that. Been awhile since it happened.
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • eldaristeldarist Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    What is wrong with killing people flagged for PvP in an Open World PvP zone? If they don't want to be killed by other players while doing an Heroic Encounter they can be 100% safe from that by just not being flagged for PvP while doing the HE.

As others have said already achievements are very bugged in Icewind Dale zones.
  • tigerspawn2tigerspawn2 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have gotten PVP achievements multiple times on different toons running IWD and I have not done PVP since before IWD came out.
  • rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Same I was unflagged, hadnt particpated in the domination in IWD. Just running by and some how I got the head hunter title. Im sure I was close, but unsure how I achieved it while running doing dailies in IWD.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • mistressphoenixmistressphoenix Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    i've gotten PvP achievements in IWD and have never been flagged, to the best of my knowledge. i don't like PvPing, so i go out of my way to avoid that part of the zone.
  • tinukedatinukeda Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Hmm, I've noticed I sometimes see 'red' during HE's and assumed it was a minor bug showing enemy AoE's when it shouldn't (I've never flagged for pvp. ever.) Perhaps this is related.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, red zones show up originating from PvP-flagged people in the other faction. They won't hurt you if you're not also flagged, but sometimes there's no way to tell the difference between harmless red and GTFouttdaway red.

You also can't res someone PvP-flagged in the other faction, though I do see people scoring PvP kills from heroics sometimes doing their head-stomp thingy.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • tinukedatinukeda Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Ah, I bet this is also why my Eye fails sometimes too; poor victim doesn't get picked up and I'm still charged for a full use of the Eye. :(
  • blacksladdiblacksladdi Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    yup you can be attacked and attack other players when flagged, even not in the pvp zone.

kinda fun though to fight not in the pvp zone - no complaints about NPC's as they attack without care.
  • anatas07anatas07 Member Posts: 164 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    Just to cool you down a bit ... if they saw a "red" one there and they went there and they were 3 ... they were coming to kill you :)
    and swimming and bleeding is not best choice in a sea full of sharks :)
    If you see this and have the answer - PM me or answer real quick because this post will be removed
  • vader6139vader6139 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This seems easy to me. If you flag for open world PvP, DO NOT go into a Heroic outside the PvP zone. You are still game if you do. My HR SS will hit you each time I fire into the mass of baddies if I am still flagged. So will any other AoE ability. Run back to the gate, get unflagged then come back. If you don't do that, expect some damage and death to occur.

I personally don't like PvP since I suck at it so I try to avoid it best I can. However some of my guildmates love it so when I run with them I do what they do and back them up. We try to avoid the above by unflagging at the gate before we farm heroics.
  • dragosani84dragosani84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 84
    edited August 2014
    I've had messages like that when I wasn't even pvp so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I got a triple kill while just doing a daily one day. I have no idea if it actually gave me a triple kill or if the message just popped up since I couldn't actually recall how many I already had. You probably didn't kill anyone, some stuff is a bit buggie still. I also complete heroics when I'm nowhere even near them at times while other times I do the full heroic without dying, do plenty of damage and only get 25 black ice. So yeah IWD can be a bit weird sometimes.