test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Xbox One - Same Server or Seperate

Comments

• sexwax45sexwax45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    silverkelt wrote: »
    I dont know, just wouldnt feel the same to me, been playing mmos on pcs for a long time, Sure cant type fast on a gaming console =P.

Also, when did any game console have more power and graphics , then just upgrading your PC every few years? Which you can also use for emails/spreadsheets and a boatload of actual every day items.
    You don't have to type the xbone has voice recognition which works like a mic while gaming so you don't even need a headset. Umm you run everything through the xbone just turn it on and it turns on the tv cable box receiver, its really useful i was more of a ps fan till my roommate got one and now i wouldn't live without it, no need to find a remote just talk to it or use ur hands.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    silverkelt wrote: »
    I dont know, just wouldnt feel the same to me, been playing mmos on pcs for a long time, Sure cant type fast on a gaming console =P.

Also, when did any game console have more power and graphics , then just upgrading your PC every few years? Which you can also use for emails/spreadsheets and a boatload of actual every day items.
    My wife plays FF14ARR thru the ps3 which is why I know a bit about that game. You can type just as fast thru a console if you want to because they have usb ports and support usb keyboards as plug and play accessories. The only major issue is when you get pc players and console players on the same server as they can't talk to each other with good software like vent/mumble/teamspeak.
  • sexwax45sexwax45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    My wife plays FF14ARR thru the ps3 which is why I know a bit about that game. You can type just as fast thru a console if you want to because they have usb ports and support usb keyboards as plug and play accessories. The only major issue is when you get pc players and console players on the same server as they can't talk to each other with good software like vent/mumble/teamspeak.
    You know that the game has its own voice chat so theirs no need to use any 3rd party software, although i do anyways, so that wouldn't be a problem.
    edited July 2014
    sexwax45 wrote: »
    You know that the game has its own voice chat so theirs no need to use any 3rd party software, although i do anyways, so that wouldn't be a problem.

I was talking in a broad sense about the mmo industry in general and the problems for players that result from having consoles and pc's on the same platform.

That said I don't use the in game voice chat client here and tend to mute anyone who does because they are either inaudible or earblastingly loud. So I'd say my statement is still true about good voice chat software.
  • geeq5geeq5 Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The only question I want an answer to is, Will we be able to carry our current characters to the console version?

and for those that are wondering, if this game is release on either console it going to do pretty good, there are not a lot of MMOs in the console market, and the few that are there really sucks, if this game get on the console market it going to be one of the most fully fledge mmo to be on console, especially with it being free to play and all.
    think about all the MMOs in the console market, and compare them to neverwinter.
    This game might not be getting the recognition it need on the PC side and that because there are a loot of MMOs for PC players, but MMOs is the one thing that lacking in the console market.

so I would say this is a good move.
    BTW I need an answer to my question above :P
    edited July 2014
    geeq5 wrote: »
    The only question I want an answer to is, Will we be able to carry our current characters to the console version?

and for those that are wondering, if this game is release on either console it going to do pretty good, there are not a lot of MMOs in the console market, and the few that are there really sucks, if this game get on the console market it going to be one of the most fully fledge mmo to be on console, especially with it being free to play and all.
    think about all the MMOs in the console market, and compare them to neverwinter.
    This game might not be getting the recognition it need on the PC side and that because there are a loot of MMOs for PC players, but MMOs is the one thing that lacking in the console market.

so I would say this is a good move.
    BTW I need an answer to my question above :P

I really doubt it. Like I said, my knowledge about microsoft is that they require seperate servers for pc's and their console and will not license a game for their systems that shares a server with pc's. I don't get it but that's my understanding.
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited July 2014

No ,its not only a separate server but when it is released it will only be the basic game with the modules released afterwards so if you could take your character over you would have a insta lvl 60 kitted out in gear other players can't get for several months.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
    edited July 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    No ,its not only a separate server but when it is released it will only be the basic game with the modules released afterwards so if you could take your character over you would have a insta lvl 60 kitted out in gear other players can't get for several months.

well that sucks big time, I don't mind gearing up all over, but I'd surely hate to loose all my enchantments, if there is a way to transfer enchantments then that would be really good, im in no way interested in loosing my P vorp, Soulforge, and all my ranks 9s and 7s enchantments to start out fresh.
    so I hope there is atleast a way to transfer those items.
    edited July 2014
    well that sucks big time, I don't mind gearing up all over, but I'd surely hate to loose all my enchantments, if there is a way to transfer enchantments then that would be really good, im in no way interested in loosing my P vorp, Soulforge, and all my ranks 9s and 7s enchantments to start out fresh.
    There won't be. Different server. You might as well consider them a different game because nothing on Dragon will ever connect or transfer to the console server.
    edited July 2014
    There won't be. Different server. You might as well consider them a different game because nothing on Dragon will ever connect or transfer to the console server.

if that is the case then I wont porting over to the console version.

as someone who has earned everything he has the hard and time consuming way I'd be preety pissed of if I cant atleast carry my enchantments over, I started playing this game since beta, and im still playing up to this day, it took me a really long time of farming to finally be able to afford full rank 9s and p vorp, and a few others rank 7s enchant and runestones, again it really took me a long time, and there is no way I would do that all over again.

also what about the AD we have on our current characters? are we just suppose to forget about it all if we decide to port over? I was very excited when I saw the announcement of the game releasing on xbox today, but now im not even sure.
    edited July 2014
    I take it back you have to charge zen to a specific game so even that will never happen.
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Even if it starts as a separate server in the beginning to avoid these influx of new players just getting destroyed and played-with competitively and economically by older players, I still want these servers to eventually merge
    edited July 2014
    Even if it starts as a separate server in the beginning to avoid these influx of new players just getting destroyed and played-with competitively and economically by older players, I still want these servers to eventually merge

Won't happen. Microsoft won't let it. I've seen other developers talk about it Microsoft's policy on it. If it's on the Xbox it needs it's own server or it won't be on the Xbox. This has made some developers say ok then it won't be on the Xbox.
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    im in no way interested in loosing my P vorp, Soulforge, and all my ranks 9s and 7s enchantments to start out fresh.

Well I think that was their point. They want a new server for this new audience wherein everyone is in relatively equal footing as much as possible.

Why even seperate the servers then and segregate the audience when ELO system is broken because there aren't enough players online, when a lot of dungeons are empty, when open world PVP is usually dead, when most guilds are dying (less than 20 people online at a time) and there are no new big guilds coming up?
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    Microsoft has a very strict and lengthy process for approving and providing patches across the XBOX Live Network. I found this out when dealing with a separate D&D title, having been on the phone at length with Microsoft. If both had the same servers, then patches would roll out so super slow and you can basically kiss any emergency "hotfixes" goodbye.

I'm glad the servers will be separate so Microsoft doesn't have anything to do with the patching process for Neverwinter on my PC. As well, as mentioned above, they have some pretty strict regulations about having cross-platform games share their XBOX Live network with any other Network or Server.

Will I play Neverwinter on XBOX? If I get an XBOX One, you bet! Will I leave the Dragon Server? Not a chance in the Nine Hells! This just feeds my alt-o-holicism.... >.<
  • sudoku7sudoku7 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    mystagogue wrote: »
    Thanks for the link becks! I was afraid of that. Splitting resources isn't a good thing for the PC game/users, IMO.

While I agree, Microsoft's policy on online communities somewhat requires it. They don't generally allow online games on their console to be cross-platform multiplayer.
  • serowforsakenserowforsaken Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Looking forward to the PS4 version then!
    Less trouble with Sony, plus probably a better overall console experience thanks to experience learned from working on the xbone, and no mandatory fees just to play over PSN.
    60 Hunter Ranger
    The rest still up-and-coming!
    edited July 2014
    Looking forward to the PS4 version then!
    Less trouble with Sony, plus probably a better overall console experience thanks to experience learned from working on the xbone, and no mandatory fees just to play over PSN.

That I can agree with. Between the fee's to take it online and the fact that I had 3 red rings of death with my 360 during it's 2 year warranty then a 4th 2 weeks after it expired I'll never touch another microsoft product myself unless it's given to me.
  • zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I would enjoy the influx of players it would bring to neverwinter with xbox one players, but I think pc users would have a distinct advantage controlling with a mouse and keyboard over those who use a controller. So separate servers is the best idea, as much as I'd love to be able to group up with them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    That I can agree with. Between the fee's to take it online and the fact that I had 3 red rings of death with my 360 during it's 2 year warranty then a 4th 2 weeks after it expired I'll never touch another microsoft product myself unless it's given to me.

I hate to say this, but you used a microsoft product to write this statement. :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • qutsemniequtsemnie Member Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Mostly it seems all upside to me. The XBox One is basically a PC with a xbox controller nowadays. The days of technological divergence in the platforms are past. It should just translate as more Neverwinter game for us.

On a side note just because I feel like talking: I saw someone post once they were just hooking a PC into the TV and using xbox controllers on steam games to get 5 dollars sales and I thought to myself, "you know that makes a lot of sense..." It isn't that, "all games make sense with a controller", it is: "all games that can be played with a controller can also be played on the PC if the developer wants." If I was a strategic product manager for a console that sentence would scare the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out of me. Xbox thinks it has a brilliant strategy of luring big PC titles to platforms, but in a few years that may show itself to have been a short sighted strategy as developers get into the habit of putting console controller support on PC titles. Purest nash their teeth everytime they see a steam game with a primarily console controller interface, but as more and more titles do so the prospect of a living room gaming PC in place of a console gains more and more critical mass. Anyway this paragraph is irrelevant...
    edited July 2014
    zshikara wrote: »
    I hate to say this, but you used a microsoft product to write this statement. :p

Sadly yes, wine is too much of a pain. But as far as their gaming division I won't buy, and I won't buy a copy of windows seperately either. I do keep a copy when I buy a new computer to run alongside for gaming though.
  • itstheyokitstheyok Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I do hope they give u an option to copy ur toons over to xb1 server like u do for preview...I just wouldn't bother otherwise...couldn't see me putting in all that time to level up and gear up again
    edited July 2014
    itstheyok wrote: »
    I do hope they give u an option to copy ur toons over to xb1 server like u do for preview...I just wouldn't bother otherwise...couldn't see me putting in all that time to level up and gear up again

They won't. Seriously. It won't happen and this isn't even the right forum to try to get people to change their mind to let it happen. Microsoft is the one that sets most of the server rules for things on the Xbox platform, and from dev's in other games talking about their decision to not make their game for Xbox but only PC and PS I know that Microsoft has rules where the servers can't touch in any way shape or form. EVER.
  • galaxy1045galaxy1045 Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    being old school and extremely naive, I don't have this xbox thing.
    But I wonder how they'd chat ... only voice chat available?
    Afaik there is no keyboard attached to the controller. Is there?
    edited July 2014
    galaxy1045 wrote: »
    being old school and extremely naive, I don't have this xbox thing.
    But I wonder how they'd chat ... only voice chat available?
    Afaik there is no keyboard attached to the controller. Is there?

New consoles can plug in a keyboard since the ps2 days.
    edited July 2014
    New consoles can plug in a keyboard since the ps2 days.
    So, is it common to use the keyboard on the xbox? I mean, I imagine myself sitting on the chaise longue playing in front of the TV, controller in both hands, I wonder where to stick the keyboard to hit at least some buttons to create a legible sentence .... Mind you, my first gaming platform at home was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VC_4000 and I would not know where to put the keyboard without redecorating the house.
    edited July 2014
    galaxy1045 wrote: »
    So, is it common to use the keyboard on the xbox? I mean, I imagine myself sitting on the chaise longue playing in front of the TV, controller in both hands, I wonder where to stick the keyboard to hit at least some buttons to create a legible sentence .... Mind you, my first gaming platform at home was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VC_4000 and I would not know where to put the keyboard without redecorating the house.
    I can tell you what my wife who plays another mmo on a ps3 does. She sits on the couch with the controller and a wireless keyboard next to her. When she needs to say something she puts the controller in her lap and types. Yeah typing while in combat is rough, but 99% of people can't do that with a pc either. I know I can't.
    edited July 2014
    I can tell you what my wife who plays another mmo on a ps3 does. She sits on the couch with the controller and a wireless keyboard next to her. When she needs to say something she puts the controller in her lap and types. Yeah typing while in combat is rough, but 99% of people can't do that with a pc either. I know I can't.
    A well thought out system that requires a relatively large effort to communicate and a serious change of the interface. I guess one will think thrice before starting to talk. Thanks for the info. Sounds tedious to me. They should get some speech recognition!
  • anholetianholeti Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Could you tell me if they are own game servers, or Microsoft servers ?!
This discussion has been closed.