test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Xbox One - Same Server or Seperate

mystagoguemystagogue Member Posts: 322 Arc User
Mixed feelings about this. All around. My greatest fear is that we'll lose developer focus from the PC game to the Xbox platform. Much in the same way we've lost PvE focus to PvP.

That said, fresh cash flow to the game, in theory, should be a good thing.

ugg - spelling spelling spelling - separate.
Post edited by mystagogue on

Comments

• sexwax45sexwax45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hopefully same sever so i can play my chars on either platform.
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Separate .
    there won't be cross-play with the PC version. (There's no word yet on how or if that'll affect other platforms, as Perfect World would only comment on Xbox One plans.)

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/07/30/neverwinter-coming-to-xbox-one-tyranny-of-dragons-pc-expansion-revealed
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    While I personally would prefer the same server I think separate is better.

Right now more than a years worth constant of exploits/botting has messed up the current server's economy up enormously. So letting the console people have their own server might make good sense if it encourages them to stay since right now I couldn't possibly recommend Neverwinter to a new player.
  • midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    mconosrep wrote: »

Right now more than a years worth constant of exploits/botting has messed up the current server's economy up enormously. So letting the console people have their own server might make good sense if it encourages them to stay since right now I couldn't possibly recommend Neverwinter to a new player.
    As long as they don't mess up and revive some of the exploits through the system change, it would probably be better off being a separate server.
    edited July 2014
    As long as they don't mess up and revive some of the exploits through the system change, it would probably be better off being a separate server.

Yes, that is my (hopefully not naive) hope.....
  • mystagoguemystagogue Member Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Thanks for the link becks! I was afraid of that. Splitting resources isn't a good thing for the PC game/users, IMO.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    mystagogue wrote: »
    Mixed feelings about this. All around. My greatest fear is that we'll lose developer focus from the PC game to the Xbox platform. Much in the same way we've lost PvE focus to PvP.

This concern doesnt really make sense. Both versions will share the same content, so if one version gets an expansion then so will the other. And like you said, the more money coming in the more development the game will get, so that is a good thing.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • sexwax45sexwax45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    Separate .
    I will be sticking to PC then but i might try plugging in my controller when i get home good article though.
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I just really hope xbox won't start getting huge amounts of 'exclusive' content , knowing what usually happens between xbox and playstation versions of DLC content for games though I think it's safe to assume xbox will get some .
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • hiukulimushiukulimus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 117
    edited July 2014
    my fear is that the new xbox one will suck all the new players there , mainly due to fresh start... all the rotten- exploiters will keep rule here :/,
    edited July 2014
    hiukulimus wrote: »
    my fear is that the new xbox one will suck all the new players there , mainly due to fresh start... all the rotten- exploiters will keep rule here :/,

Well the rotten exploiters ARE ruling here already - haven't you noticed the massive amount of AH manipulation?

While we might not be able to save the PC version, at least there might be hope for the Xbox player......
  • mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So they will have a separate server? I guess that goes against their one server to rule them all philosophy.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    So they will have a separate server? I guess that goes against their one server to rule them all philosophy.
    . . . This is just now unveiling for us in North America but yes, according to that article posted above; XBOX One players and PC Players won't be able to play together. Whether this is true or will remain true, I cannot say.

sexwax45 wrote: »
    I will be sticking to PC then but i might try plugging in my controller when i get home good article though.
    . . . XBOX Controllers don't plug & play with PCs without modifications that void your warranty. You'd need one that specifically works on both, like the "Microsoft XBOX Controller for Windows." I have one such controller and it works great, with a little help from Xpadder for Neverwinter, Champions Online, and Star Trek Online. Champions Online doesn't even need Xpadder.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Mixed feelings about this. All around. My greatest fear is that we'll lose developer focus from the PC game to the Xbox platform.

I've read the thread up to this point but wanted to reply to this statement (quoted). @OP Rest assured there will be no need for a concern about content development. The reason is that software development and content development are two completely different professions and tasks, etc.

I should presume Cryptic has a whole set of software developers for the PC, another set developing for Xbox and then there are the creatives. The creatives are even broken down further into texturing professionals, animating professionals, map-building professionals, the 3D Modeling professionals, story-wrtiters and all that - and then there are all those writing the 'code' to make all that stuff come together - which is different code from actually developing the runtime applications.

In short there are a *LOT* if different people working on smaller parts of the giant puzzle we all see as a whole as players, and every one of those people are real professionals in their particular disciplines. An animator may be a pro animator, but not any better at texturing than you or I, for example and vice-versa.

So by keeping this perspective that there are separate teams it's really a modular process. Think of it as "plug-and-play" people. (Apologies to Devs for relegating you all to simple plug-in components like Web Browser extensions.) LOL
  • djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hopefully XBox Store and PS Store won't delay patch and content availability for PC users.

On the flip side Xbox community is notoriously immature and it could even bring this community down a notch(not kidding it's possible), can't wait to see mods scrambling to keep the Xbox forum in line with forum TOS, lol.
  • doriangreighdoriangreigh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 707 Arc User
    edited July 2014

That said, fresh cash flow to the game, in theory, should be a good thing.

ugg - spelling spelling spelling - separate.

Actually this could be good for the game (assuming that they put consoles on separate servers). For one reason there would have to be more quality control so there should be less glitches and bugs and frankly they should pull in more money so in theory this is actually going to be good for the game. The gameplay is very friendly for controllers although targeting would suck so not sure what they are planning on doing about that, I bet triggers will be used to target lock or change target which I think might give an advantage but again a reason to give them their own server. Sad thing is i'd probably want to consider changing my character over as MS servers are going to be way better I think than the ones used currently.

On the flip side it could be horrible as t he influx of new players begins to seriously bog down their servers (if mixed) or create a bit of a a void on the PC side.

I honestly believe this is good though ... if you really think about it and look at how the game works it really is a console game ported to pc in my opinion (perhaps they had designs on this happening from the beginning).

What I think is great for me, is if this is the case, as I recall Microsoft caters to AMD which means the game will start getting optimized for AMD users (processors and video) and that will increase my game play experience :)

Also with more money maybe they will change the model here as well ... do away with zen or AD which in my opinion is a good thing, maybe they will finally add all the worth while stuff in this game as drops in the game as opposed to purchases from zen store.
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    This game's population has been declining. I was really hoping that it would bring an influx of new players in
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    This game's population has been declining. I was really hoping that it would bring an influx of new players in
    . . . Strange statement as I haven't noticed a decline. Nay, I'm finding PE and other Zones like Sharandar, Dread Ring, and IWD to be quite populated, even in the wee hours. The multi-layer technology for instances can throw this off, as there's no real way for a player to tell how many are online at a given time as there are many Zones and many instances of each zone. To tell, one would need to be in all zones at the same time and instantly tally the online numbers. Using the Social menu is not an accurate way either, as players can hide their online status.
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    Strange statement as I haven't noticed a decline. Nay, I'm finding PE and other Zones to be quite populated, even in the wee hours.

We can agree to disagree on that specific front, but I was really hoping that this would've brought in an influx of new players and I am still hoping that eventually, the console and PC server would merge after they have went through a dry run with them separate
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . Strange statement as I haven't noticed a decline. Nay, I'm finding PE and other Zones like Sharandar, Dread Ring, and IWD to be quite populated, even in the wee hours.

Well, as a very, very, rough way to see which way player numbers are trending, you can count the number of instances of some "key" areas. I have a few very rough numbers, and what I am seeing is a notable decline since the server merger in the "sub-60" areas - but not much of a change in the level 60 areas - if anything, there is an increase there.

What this suggests is a decline in the number of characters being leveled, but people are busy grinding for their level 60s. No big surprises there.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So the worst kept secret is finally revealed. Neverwinter has been announced as console version for Xbox One in China for months (?) now, so it was only a matter of time until they made it worldwide.

Should help bring new players in and I assume that they have a separate division for the console development so it's unlikely we'll lose devs in the process.
  • tradeactbdtradeactbd Member Posts: 50
    edited July 2014
    mconosrep wrote: »

Separate server is bad news. The current player population is on a steady decline and this will be a shift of development resources to the "new" platform. If the Xbox server ends up bringing in more cash, then you can be sure the old server will end up being the red headed step child.
  • katamaster81899katamaster81899 Member Posts: 1,157 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm tempted to switch to the console version, even though I've got so much on the PC version, given that it's a seperate server. The economy in-game right now is an absolute wreck, and I'm slowly losing hopes of ever upgrading all my enchantments to rank 8 - A new server would basically bey a fresh economy, and I can still use my expertise in the game, but this time it will be an even playing field - I don't have to compete against beta players in enchantments and gear.
    dulopa4e1d9.png
    || Axios Guild Leader || Neverwinter Trade Forum Moderator || Infernal Paragons ||
    Check out my foundry, titled "Akro's Gone Wacko", featuring our ex-CM Akromatik!: NW-DL8J7BY5T
    Erza Moonstalker | Lara Moonstalker | Julie Marvell | Erza Moonhunter | Annie Hellangel | Jenn Moonstalker
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Current game is too much of a grind fest. Pretty sure they'll make drastic changes to the console port to cater to them. Not to mention they're making money by just selling it cause companies don't sell free console games.

Then they abandon the PC version after choking the playerbase to death with inflation and class changes left & right.
    edited July 2014
    ghoulz66 wrote: »
    Current game is too much of a grind fest. Pretty sure they'll make drastic changes to the console port to cater to them. Not to mention they're making money by just selling it cause companies don't sell free console games.

Then they abandon the PC version after choking the playerbase to death with inflation and class changes left & right.

Free Realms has been on Playstation for a longtime and the way it works is Sony takes % off every micro-transaction, may want to revise your comment.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    from the way i see it, if a company's product is in trouble and losing money, they won't spend money to expand that product. i'm pretty sure that hiring separate teams to handle other platforms isn't free. developers and designers need to earn money to make a living.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It's on xbox, xbox won't allow games to share servers. It's why for example FF14ARR is available on pc, ps3, ps4 but not xbox 360 or xbox one. They weren't willing to split their customers up. I don't have a problem with the split but if you ever hear about a game on the xbox it's going to be a split server unless microsoft changes their policy.
    edited July 2014
    melodywhr wrote: »
    from the way i see it, if a company's product is in trouble and losing money, they won't spend money to expand that product. i'm pretty sure that hiring separate teams to handle other platforms isn't free. developers and designers need to earn money to make a living.

Actually they are not expanding they are exploring new markets. They may have overestimated the pc market a few quarters back and are looking for new markets for this product. They may have other games(product) coming for these market(platforms) and have allocated some of those resources to this project. But they are not expanding Neverwinter to platforms they are bringing it to these markets, they may release an expansion at the same time though.
This discussion has been closed.