Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread: Guardian Fighter Changes

Comments

• Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    ---

Like i mentioned it before, conquerors or GF's in general, should not have their guard depleting by just holding up a shield. The 20% damage going through is already enough of a nerf for PvP aswell as PvE... BUT in all honesty, the depletion aspect kills PvP for us GF almost entirely. Please consider applying some small changes.

---

#Tested it again, i lose roughly ~1200 power each second. (Ouchie!) Do the other classes have similar features? If this is working as intended, then all other classes should have this added to their shift powers.

---

Joke aside, this needs to be fixed. I cannot see myself being effective in PvP anymore if this really makes it to live.

This is exactly why WAY back like 10 pages ago I suggested changing this feat.

After looking up the actual PnP "Reckless Attacker" - deals an extra attack after a critical strike.

I actually think this feat should be changed to something LIKE:

25% damage boost for 6 seconds after dealing a critical strike.

THEN:

Put ARP onto CON (like GWFs have) AND put crit onto DEX (like GWFs have)

NOW a Conq can spec into a higher crit (like 30%) and can get a serious DPS boost from Conq Feat Capstone.
  • Options
    maxiumdanmaxiumdan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Like the way you think, ayroux. Maybe also something like, after critical strike, an encounter refreshs. That'll open eyes. Or, decreases recharge time or recovery boost which is like attacking faster.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Question regarding the shift/dodge changes - will interrupting an encounter or daily consume said power, or will it be available again right away?
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    oicidrazoicidraz Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Just did CN with my 14.5K GF, 2 HR, 1 CW and 1 GWF (all of them 16K).

I think we really need a little weapon Damage Buff and make Enforced Threat have more range, something like 40'-45', also, these HR's are so OP that are cleaning dungeons like if it were Sharandar or Dread Ring dungeons, they outdps the 16K GWF and 1 of them wasn't even in the archery path (and he was doing like 35% more than the GWF), I don't see any difference here or in thre preview... we will need more damage or we will be ignored just like we are now.

Also, I noticed that my shield didn't multiplied the damage I would receive by 0.2, I did some test and in IWD the Dire Polar Bear deal to me 39.94% of the Raw Damage, with the Shield he did 20.01% of the Raw Damage, so it seems that the DR Hard Cap of 80% is affecting our shield making it impposible to us to get less than the 20% of the Raw Damage.
  • Options
    damnaciousdamnacious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 354 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    loboguild wrote: »
    Bug: Guard Break
    Most of the time once all your Stamina is drained the Guard doesn't break, the GF just stops guarding.

Instead, the system fires off Guard Breaks randomly when your Stamina is still filled. You start guarding, at 50% (or whatever) the guard meter turns red, but the char remains in guard motion and is actually still guarding according to the ACT:

C8omPKl.jpg

The marked Guard Break appeared at ~40% of the Stamina and you can see that the following attacks are still correctly being guarded although the system continues to fire a series of additional Breaks.

I was hoping someone could provide some data for me on this to confirm my suspicion! Many thanks Loboguild!

This is what I had noticed and was hoping to clarify further with this post
    damnacious wrote: »
    I have also sort of noticed that the Guard can dramatically 'drop' from 1/3 - 1/4 full to broken instantly when it is hit with large hits, possibly crits.

I had noticed that my Guard bar would be sitting above empty and then after one or two hits would suddenly 'Break' with the duration not corresponding to the expected Guard depletion rate.

So, I'm not imagining things after all! It isn't exactly the problem I thought it was but I'm glad to have the mystery of "The suddenly disappearing Guard Meter and magically appearing Guard Break" all solved!

Bug: Guard
    Spec: Conqueror, Protector, Tactician

Guard can "break" suddenly and unexpectedly despite the Guard Meter not being fully depleted over the expected duration.
  • Options
    isuuck2isuuck2 Member Posts: 491 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    Feedback
    Just got done from the test shard and i have to say if we are going to have a stamina system like other classes and this was implemented so we have to be more responsive when trying to use our guard then the other classes should not be able to see our stamina meter because that just gets all of us guardian fighters killed easily. If we have to try so hard to survive and pick when you have to guard attacks even more so than we already do, no one else should be able to see our stamina, just like every other class so that they to will have to pick when they want to use encounters on us. Balance right there.
  • Options
    crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    ayroux wrote: »
    I totally get that, I have played a GF since OB my friend. I hate to break it to you this way, but if your capping a node as ANY class and have a ranged character off point, your pretty much doomed.

If the stamina meter was tripled, you actually could hide behind your shield and only take 10% damage almost the entire time it takes to cap the node- just FYI..

Thats the idea I would like to see them move towards:

- 80% block. Ok.
    - Stamina meter. Ok.
    - Slow run speed while blocking. Ok.
    - Needs to have a base duration of like 10 seconds ATLEAST.
    - Need to have a 100-200% INCREASE in regeneration.

I understand but i am just a pvp player, i love pvp i do domination and Opvp in icewind and having a stamina based block with destroy gf in pvp, even now we are one of the worst classes but stamina block is a terrible idea for a few reasons.

1. Perma rogues just use p.bilethorn and hide throwing daggers at you, it can be deadly but not if we can hold our shield up a lot while trying to find and kill them, now we will have our shield lowered so they will just keep throwing daggers and we will not even stand a 1% chance to win.

2. I understand that a player from range can break our shield fast but i like holding it up when no enemies is around just incase they try to get the jump on me while im capping a node at least when they use there first knockdown or something i can prevent it but now they will always have the upper hand at the start of the fight.

3. fighting now will be more concentrating on your shield than the fight, we will have to try so hard just to be able to block a few attacks while trying to keep our stamina high all the time... and people will learn to just wait us out now instead of having to dmg us, before i could use supremacy of steel and they would try to break my shield and take dmg but now they will just wait till stamina drains and then hit me...

i really hope people learn to understand how bad this will be because its a terrible idea for gf and it will make us much much worse plus the 80% dmg thing again is just so bad its a shield not a sheet of paper so i have no idea why we would take dmg while blocking.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Yea, and with this system we can't have the shield to prevent attacks from stealth TRs or whatever, we have to use it intelligently, I don't like this system, I would prefer the older system but buffed...
  • Options
    damnaciousdamnacious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 354 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Spec: Protector (For whatever reason I couldn't duplicate the bug easily so I don't know if it exists in other specs too. I would assume it will.)
    At some points in time when the Guard is full, despite using the Guard continuously, the Guard Meter does not degenerate / deplete AT ALL. I have been unable to duplicate this bug repeatedly yet I have noticed it previously while in combat but have dropped Guard to use an Encounter. Eventually, when this bug reoccurred, I WAS ABLE TO HOLD THE GUARD UP INDEFINITELY WITHOUT ANY LOSS OF GUARD METER. I managed to maintain this permanent Guard for 17 minutes. I gave up after this as I couldn't be bothered holding Shift any longer. There did not seem to be a discernible limit in place on how long the Guard would remain in this state. The Guard seemed to work as it would otherwise in that it reduced damage taken accordingly. I could not define a clear reason why this state occurred and was not able to replicate it at will. However, the bug only seems to occur once the Guard Meter is full.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Spec: Full protect

Ive noticed two issues:
    1) The stamina meter between the left side of your power bar and the stamina bar below your name is not in sync.
    2) At times, your stamina bar suddenly depletes from 1/2 to 0.
  • Options
    stagger38stagger38 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The dodge other classes have makes our short range melee attacks ineffective. Misses result in fatal cooldowns. Enemies will simply kite a GF while still dealing damage waiting for stamina to run out, then outright kill them. Severely limits the diversity of viable PvP builds for a GF.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    damnacious wrote: »
    Spec: Protector (For whatever reason I couldn't duplicate the bug easily so I don't know if it exists in other specs too. I would assume it will.)
    At some points in time when the Guard is full, despite using the Guard continuously, the Guard Meter does not degenerate / deplete AT ALL. I have been unable to duplicate this bug repeatedly yet I have noticed it previously while in combat but have dropped Guard to use an Encounter. Eventually, when this bug reoccurred, I WAS ABLE TO HOLD THE GUARD UP INDEFINITELY WITHOUT ANY LOSS OF GUARD METER. I managed to maintain this permanent Guard for 17 minutes. I gave up after this as I couldn't be bothered holding Shift any longer. There did not seem to be a discernible limit in place on how long the Guard would remain in this state. The Guard seemed to work as it would otherwise in that it reduced damage taken accordingly. I could not define a clear reason why this state occurred and was not able to replicate it at will. However, the bug only seems to occur once the Guard Meter is full.
    I've run into this a few times on several different builds. Haven't been able to reliably replicate either.
  • Options
    isuuck2isuuck2 Member Posts: 491 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    I dont think the devs understood how pvping with our current guard meter works. Most of the reasons they gave was for pve. They dont understand that if the enemy can still see our stamina they will just kite and do damage until our stamina depletes. In pvp gwf would just at will or spam TR until we are then forced to guard because it does so much damage and as for kiting. That is dangerous against the currect roar and takedown combo. When i try to kite they just TR and then use takedown with its huge range or roar at me or frontline surge. I do guess work i turn around sometimes to anticipate their attacks.
    Feedback
    But now i cant do that, they can see my stamina meter and holding it up makes me lose guard a lot faster. Also i do not block all incoming damage. With the huge risk there is to guarding the enemies should not see our stamina bar
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Reviewing a lot of older posts, esp with crush's explanation on the previous block system was a function of secondary hp based on your hp, etc - if the block was getting knocked down by heavy hitters after 5 hits - why not give us more hp and thus more guard meter. Like baseline more hp for GF and in the protector tree a feat for even more hp. but not the 5,10, 15% more guard variety like 20,25,30% more hp. It wouldnt really be overpowered since you arent really dealing massive damage in pvp and if you are tanking in pvp then with this maybe you really could be tanking and holding nodes in pvp. If you are conqueror then you would just get some extra hp baseline. GF now better.
  • Options
    marko531marko531 Member Posts: 32
    edited June 2014
    How about you make block not decreasing at all and that cannot be broken at all with 80 % DR, but(to avoid OP in pvp) ur encounter cooldowns are stoped or maybe slowed untill u put ur shield down. Not sure how this would work but it fell on my mind, just an idea :D Or maybe that only ur DR is decreasing while u take hits, so u start with a 100% DR then as long as ur shield is getting smashed by other players or mobs ur DR% is dropping down to 10/20 % or something like that, DR decrease has to be slow and DR recovery has to be even slower. :D
  • Options
    lazaroth666lazaroth666 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I was talking to a friend about how to improve the shift ability and idea came to my mind, he has been GF since many months ago and he really loved the idea so maybe you too.

What do you think about a splash effect? meaning that if the GF has the shield up and receives an attack, he would divert a good % of the damage (50%-20%?) to the nearby enemies, maybe a 270 degrees cone and 30' range.
    • Blocking big red areas (huge dmg) and splashing this dmg to the nearby enemies, would help him to keep/generate aggro.
    • Works as AoE damage, increasing the dps done by the GF and life steal becomes viable granting him better survivability.
    • The splashed dmg would be based in the amount of stamina/guard and in the number of enemies around, more enemies less damage they receive and vice versa. A total of 5k damage splashed in 5 mobs would be 1k for each one or 5k if there's only 1 mob
    • This would make him a fearsome opponent in melee range but still manageable by ranged classes.
    • Since it's based in stamina/guard, it is not possible to divert everything, a GF must be smart enough to know which skill block and when to do it, must take advantage of his position in order to maximize the effect.
    • Good synergy with skills like Iron Warrior (high guard/stamina means higher damage splashed), Knight's Challenge (receiving higher damage means that more will be splashed), Fighter's recovery (obvious), just to mention a few examples.
    fkze9t.jpg
    ▄▀▄▀ Check out my blog for more information and cool videos: NWO-Battleground ▀▄▀▄
    Proud founder of the 'Primacy' alliance
  • Options
    thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    QUESTION:

Does the Frontline Surge stun in PVP against human players respect the Pin Down (.1/.2/.3 second longer prones), Reinforced Surge (.1/.2/.3/.4/.5 second longer prones) and Crushing Pin (2/4/6/8/10% damage boost on controlled enemies) feats?
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • Options
    thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    I was talking to a friend about how to improve the shift ability and idea came to my mind, he has been GF since many months ago and he really loved the idea so maybe you too.

What do you think about a splash effect? meaning that if the GF has the shield up and receives an attack, he would divert a good % of the damage (50%-20%?) to the nearby enemies, maybe a 270 degrees cone and 30' range.
    • Blocking big red areas (huge dmg) and splashing this dmg to the nearby enemies, would help him to keep/generate aggro.
    • Works as AoE damage, increasing the dps done by the GF and life steal becomes viable granting him better survivability.
    • The splashed dmg would be based in the amount of stamina/guard and in the number of enemies around, more enemies less damage they receive and vice versa. A total of 5k damage splashed in 5 mobs would be 1k for each one or 5k if there's only 1 mob
    • This would make him a fearsome opponent in melee range but still manageable by ranged classes.
    • Since it's based in stamina/guard, it is not possible to divert everything, a GF must be smart enough to know which skill block and when to do it, must take advantage of his position in order to maximize the effect.
    • Good synergy with skills like Iron Warrior (high guard/stamina means higher damage splashed), Knight's Challenge (receiving higher damage means that more will be splashed), Fighter's recovery (obvious), just to mention a few examples.

Fantastic idea!
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • Options
    reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I simply would like the old guard meter back, just buffed up a bit more. And block all incoming attacks in a frontal cone. Meaning all aoe attacks do not affect anyone standing behind the GF in a conal zone. no matter the area of effect, the shield acts like a nullifier for attacks that hits him first traveling outwards. the only way an area skill would affect behind the shield would be if it was targeted directly behind the shield. Which would directly hit the GF and anyone else behind him anyway.

Actually makes Guardian fighters actually guard people other than themselves.

An example being that a guardian fighter holds up his shield with a singularity in front of him. the pull effect isnt affecting him cause his shield is up. If his/her team moves to position themselves behind the GF with thier shield up, the pull effect will no longer affect them.

Another example being an area attack that affects everyone in the area (sudden storm for example) soon as the attack hits the GF's shield as the attack advances, everyone behind the shield take no damage. But everyone who got hit infront of him still gets hit.

I would say the nul area behind the shielded GF would be about as far and as wide as his own cleave strike distance. I think that will open up GF's to more usefulness and tactics in various situations and even in dungeons besides just the "gather all monsters with marks and run around until the other team kills them all." and can help GF's feel more synergistic with each other. having a second GF in a team wont be a burdens on each other cause they're taking each others roles. And actually have something more they can do for a team while still feeling useful and having direct impact on things.

The current system would be perfect for that. With the new proposed changes to Block, this would be impossible to fulfill. And I honestly thing the current Block system is better and opens up more tactical play for a GF. As the class is based on tactics to begin with.
  • Options
    ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I agree Block shouldn't even diminish if we are going to take 20% damage all the time! I see no reason there should be a timer or stamina or break in our primary ability at all as we are relegated to doing virtually nothing when guard is up?

It seems we are being punished for having a shield! While our sub class gets a Sprint with 30% DR and cc immunity?
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Does that mean you also fixed this problem?

That post should be in GWF feedback as we do not have sprint?

• Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Ill again post my STRONG suggestion here:

Stat changes:
    STR = damage (1%) / Stamina Gain (2%)
    CON = HP (4%) /ARP (1%)
    DEX = Deflect (1%) /Crit (.5%)

RECKLESS ATTACKER: *REWORKED* Increases damage by 25% for 6 seconds after dealing a critical strike.

Stamina/Guard:
    Base duration DOUBLED.
    Only drains WHILE IN COMBAT.
    Recharge speed base DOUBLED.

Now that block is only 80%, I think its only fair to have it have much more an "uptime" than previously. Think of how many times TRs use stealth, or CWs use Spell Mastery, or GWFs use Unstoppable - MANY times per fight. GFs are the only one who once block is used, have to wait almost 15 seconds for full block again, thats WAY too long IMO.

I think these MINOR changes, would make the GF a GOOD player to have in both PVP and PVE.
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This power should give 2% damage resistance for every target hit.

This ability score should provide critical chance.

Guard should block 100% of damage.

Casting times should be reduced for the following powers:
    -Villain's Menace
    -Enforced Threat
    -Fighter's Recovery
    -Terrifying Impact
    -Crushing Surge
    -Iron Warrior
    -Into the Fray

This power should provide additional damage resistance while active and more temporary HP.

This power should be able to be activated while moving (like Knight's Valor), provide more AP gain and temporary HP.

Rework this into something useful.

Rework or seriously buff this.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    ayroux wrote: »
    Ill again post my STRONG suggestion here:

Stat changes:
    STR = damage (1%) / Stamina Gain (2%)
    CON = HP (4%) /ARP (1%)
    DEX = Deflect (1%) /Crit (.5%)

RECKLESS ATTACKER: *REWORKED* Increases damage by 25% for 6 seconds after dealing a critical strike.

Stamina/Guard:
    Base duration DOUBLED.
    Only drains WHILE IN COMBAT.
    Recharge speed base DOUBLED.

Now that block is only 80%, I think its only fair to have it have much more an "uptime" than previously. Think of how many times TRs use stealth, or CWs use Spell Mastery, or GWFs use Unstoppable - MANY times per fight. GFs are the only one who once block is used, have to wait almost 15 seconds for full block again, thats WAY too long IMO.

I think these MINOR changes, would make the GF a GOOD player to have in both PVP and PVE.

Those would be pretty awesome changes and allow for some new hybrid specs.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    The GF should have a class ability that provides a buff for each member in the party. Could be applied to the party as well. This should make them far more desirable in party activities. Shouldn't apply in PvP.

Eg: Defender - Gain 2% damage, healing, damage resist, and max HP for each member in the party. Party members receive half.

Would only apply when in a party. A party of a GF and DC would give the GF +4%, and the DC +2%. A party of a GF, DC, CW, GWF, and HR would give the GF +10%, and the rest +5%.

I hope there is a goal to make the ideal party consist of a GF, DC, and 3 other classes depending on the situation. People likely chose the GF to assist in parties, yet it is one of the worst classes to have in one. A huge buff like this would change that instantly.
  • Options
    cilginordekcilginordek Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Bug: Shield
    Pressing shift holds the shield up but does not start stamina consumption. Shield can be hold up indefinitely. BUT it does not block attacks in that situation.

Feedback
    That sucks because when you realize you're not blocking it will take you too long to lower and rise the again for it to work properly.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    mehguy138 wrote: »
    This power should give 2% damage resistance for every target hit.

This ability score should provide critical chance.

Guard should block 100% of damage.

Casting times should be reduced for the following powers:
    -Villain's Menace
    -Enforced Threat
    -Fighter's Recovery
    -Terrifying Impact
    -Crushing Surge
    -Iron Warrior
    -Into the Fray

This power should provide additional damage resistance while active and more temporary HP.

This power should be able to be activated while moving (like Knight's Valor), provide more AP gain and temporary HP.

Rework this into something useful.

Rework or seriously buff this.

I agree with this a lot (except the 1st point, we can hit 20 enemies in the preview with Enforced Threat if I'm not wrong, so that would be +40% DR), I would also add this:

- Iron Warrior:
    This power should be able to be activated while moving (like Knight's Valor).

- Weapon Damage:
    We need something like a 12~15% buff in all our weapons damage (note that even with the 12~15% buff we would still have the worst weapon damage in the game).

- Buff our feats:
    We need better feats than the ones that we currently have, for example, +5 AC, +5% Deflect Chance, or to restore 5% of the Max HP when you are crit (50 seconds ICD) are very weak feats, compared to the feats of the other classes... for example, the HR class (in the preview) have a feat that give them 50% reduced CD in their ranged encounters, then we could have something like 25% reduced CD instead of 10% that we currently have, +10 AC and +7.5% Deflect Chance could help too.

- Guard:
    If we are receiving 20% of the damage (cause there's a hard cap of 80% DR which make our guard don't block more than the 80%) then we should have something near an unlimited shield, or make it like our previous system with some buffs...

- Mark System:
    Marked enemies should have the mark even if they hit us for at least 6 seconds...

We need buffs (small in some aspects, good ones in others) to be viable in PvE or PvP...
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Another idea to increase GF damage resistance.

Guardian Fighters should have more AC on their shields and armor, e.g. armor - 20 AC, shield - 12 AC.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    mehguy138 wrote: »
    Another idea to increase GF damage resistance.

Guardian Fighters should have more AC on their shields and armor, e.g. armor - 20 AC, shield - 12 AC.

yeah thats a good idea but that wont happen, HR and TR can get 40% deflect chance with low deflect and gwf can get 50% or more but you show me 1 gf with 40% deflect....we have the shield we should have more base defence and deflect than anyone but for some reason the "tank" class has the second worst survivability lol
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]