test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Help with a more combat oriented TR for PVE

reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
edited June 2014 in The Thieves' Den
Hello fellow TRs
I'd like to hear some advices on a more combat oriented build I have (this is for PVE)
The idea is to have the enemy disabled most of the time, to have time to continuously dish damage without stopping.
So I use Smoke bomb, ITC, and dazing strike. with duelist flurry.
My rotation is mainly ITC, DF, Smoke bomb, DF, DS, DF, and repeat. It works pretty nice. The only problem is that after Dazing strike if I'm battling more enemies, I can't daze all of them, so I take quite a bit of damage.
When in groups this works really nice because mobs usually don't go for me so I'm free to just go for the big mobs and DF works really nice against those.
Also I try to use stealth whenever it's aviable, to get combat advantage and other damage bonus I have while stealthed.
I'm trying to minimize damage I get when using DS and having other enemies free to damage me. I've tried to use stealth after using DS, but I can't seem to get it up for the next time I use DS.
Some questions, should I try to spec for power or more crit? I've heard that after the power rework it could be better to go for raw power. but I don0t know if this is only for PVP or PVE too.
Also, for defense, should I try to get more lifesteal or more deflect? I've heard a TR can get around 40% deflect chance, considering they have a 75% deflect severity that would greatle reduce incoming damage.
And last question, what about equipment? PVE equipment or PVP equipment? I'v heard that for TRs even for PVE the best equipment might be the PVP one.
I hope you can help me :)
EDIT: Also, before anyone says something about it, I know that this build isn't the best one, and I'm not aiming to be the best, but I want to be competitive and have fun playing. (I got bored of the perma build for PVE)
2e2qwj6.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• unbahunbah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    For that kind of playstyle use vorpal and full Swash set. Go for 48% crit chance, with campfire buff and potion of heroism you will hit 50%. Stack arpen untill 22-24% resistance ignored, but thats no brainer. Get some defence - 1.5k works great for me, circa 10% lifesteal and 2k recovery. Rest goes to power. Deflect is not very reliable in my opinion so its the last stat you want to stack. Swash set bonus has 100% uptime in combat so I think, for non perma TR, its better than profound pvp gear. At least it works for me.
    In dungeons i follow the same rotation. Save your stealth for when things go south - dodge out, pop stealth and use CoS. For boss fights I use ITC, lashnig and wicked. Swap wicked for dazing if mantaining 5 stacks can be problematic, or for Deft in some rare cases. With that setup and carefully timed dodges you can facetank 90% of bosses. Solo play while doing dailies is no big problem. Since the best defence is a good offence I use dazing/blitz/wicked. For artifacts, get lantern, TRs sigil and black ice beholder - all three have combat advantage bonus and even without stealth but with some positioning/stuns you will see 20%+ increase in damage. And I would recommend full dmg executioner spec. I follow this build for a quite some time and I find it more fun and challenging than perma/hybrid. Just don't try to race GWF's and CW's for paingiver by using AoE (WoB is an exception) - just find the biggest dude in the room and deal some pain. Andt don't expect to rock the charts in pvp.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Thanks a lot for the post, I have a few questions:
    Defense? I always thought defense was basically worthless for TRs, that even with high defense you would get too much damage, that's why I thought about stacking deflect instead.
    Also, why swashbuckling captain set? the 2 set gives recovery, is that more important than crit or power? or the 4 set bonus makes up for it? (Set 4: Your powers have a 25% chance to grant 338 Power and Recovery for 6 seconds. This stacks up to 3 times.) that's what you meant when you said that the set is 100% uptime in combat?
    the rest is pretty clear, I think it's a more fun playstyle than perma :)
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • unbahunbah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Swash set bonus has a 25% chance to proc from any attack you make, be that at will or encounter. So if you start with DF, most of the time you will have 3 stacks by the time it ends. And that translates to 1014 power and recovery. Now all you need to do to keep it up is attack. Other options? I know some TRs that do well with mixed sets. You can try for example 2/2 Dread Legion/Master Assassin sets. You will get 900 power and some better stats from 2 pieces of DL set, but I think 1014 power AND recovery is not something to discard lightly.
    I also have around 25-30% both reduction and deflect chance, but deflect is just a tertiary stat on HP/power/defence gear I put on my stone. It was never my intention, just happened by accident - if I could stack more power instead I would certainly do it. I just prefer to have constant mitigation so that I know I can survive that massive AoE that boss throws at me, than keeping my fingers crossed and praying for deflect to proc. Besides, getting deflect high enough for it to be reliable would require too much sacrifice in other stats due to diminishing returns.
    In the end, both gear choice and defence/deflect allocation depend on personal preference. Play for a while, see what your toon may lack and try to compensate. Enjoy ;)
  • fakatikfakatik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    Its the 4 pc bonus you'll want. The set bonus is quite noticeable, you'll be doing much more damage with it. I didn't bother much with either defense or deflect on my rogue and instead focussed on HP instead with only about 1500def. I figured I'd be always backstabbing and let the other classes get aggro. TRs can stay perma-immune using ITC and DF in PvE anyway.
    Aireina | Ashter | King Baldric | Oranges | Hello | Mikalin
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    tr......pve.......ahahahahahaha
    edited June 2014
    thanks for your opinion guys, I'll try to get the swashbuckling set then and see how things get from there :)
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • caexarcaexar Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    reiwulf wrote: »
    thanks for your opinion guys, I'll try to get the swashbuckling set then and see how things get from there :)

Swash set, 2500 armor pen and the rest to power. Don't stress defenses too much as you'll get one shotted even if you stack defense. Pure power after your armor pen is enough.
    Throw in some companions that match your play style and that is how Dusk rolls.
    Threat level 60 Guardian Fighter
    Gloom level 60 Control Wizard
    Dusk level 60 Trickster Rogue
    Dawn level 60 Devoted Cleric
    Eclipse level 60 Hunter Ranger
    Wrath level 60 Great Weapon Fighter
    Jinx level 60 Scourge Warlock
  • bozebambozebam Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    1500 def + skulkers and you wont be oneshot.
    Skulkers is still a good set because of its bonus set. That lack of power but got armor pen.

The gameplay is different, less spamming. You need to play more with stealth, spam DF, but its exactly what i need when im alone vs boss :
    Burn them with high armor pen + bonus of skulkers and some tanking with hp ( of course, we got ITC but you wont have it 100% of the time ).
  • kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    What type of PvE are we talking about here? Team-content a la dungeons? Or single-player, open-field variety?
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • malphaeousmalphaeous Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 88
    edited June 2014
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?295232-Banelorne-s-Stealth-Based-Executioner-Builds-Maximize-Your-TR-s-Solo-Capabilities
    is a good starting point for soloing, with a few tweaks you can maximize ST DPS in a dungeon Skulkers is a good set for PVP but you said PVE I would suggest starting with a PvE set for PvE, PvP sets waste build points on Tenacity which is useless in PvE but a big deal in PvP
    The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. Did I mention, I do not have good intentions?
    edited June 2014
    that's the build I've been using for a while. it's very effective for soloing, that's true, but it's not really good at dps, I tend to take a lot to kill things. Also It's terribly boring for me, stealth, GC GC GC kill enemy GC GC SS GC kill enemy GC GC SS, rinse and repeat.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • malphaeousmalphaeous Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 88
    edited June 2014
    this is my build, didnt have time post this during the week but I hope it helps, its a boss fight build really.http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?688821-high-STDPS-PVE-Executioner-build
    The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. Did I mention, I do not have good intentions?
  • wimpazoidwimpazoid Member Posts: 504 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I've been a PVE Executioner TR since closed beta and have never gone perma stealth. You really don't need to be one to solo effectively or run dungeons.

Some tips I can offer is not to disregard the feats that maximize stealth use and AP gain. More stealth = more CA damage = more AP generation = buckets of DPS. I can hit a Whirlwind of Blades every other mob, meaning, I may miss a fight generating AP, but the next fight, I can use WoB.

A well built PVE Executioner TR will not need ITC, Bait n Switch etc for survivability, so you can focus on crowd clearing encounters while soloing. My go to are Shadow Strike (for the above reason), Lashing Blade, Blitz, Duelist's Flurry, Sly Flourish. Hit Blitz, go stealth, DF the tougher enemy, stealth LB, and pick off low hp adds with Sly Flourish. You basically go through fight after fight quickly while soloing. With enough Lifesteal, I have never needed to use health potions while soloing.
    edited June 2014
    thanks wimpazoid, I'll try that too.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The OP mentions problems of unwanted aggro while fighting. Let other people aggro the mobs and then go after your target. You'll grab aggro on your target but not on surrounding mobs if there are AOE types throwing pyrotechnics around. If you still have unwanted aggro, go into stealth and only use at-wills on your target. Since you haven't attacked the other mobs, they'll lose interest pretty quickly. If you want to run ahead of the group and grab your target first, do so in stealth to avoid getting mobbed before the AOE types can gather everything up.

In T2s and up (except PK/TOS) I usually run ITC, Blitz (or PotB) and Smoke. You don't NEED ITC but it helps since less time dodging, more time attacking and as a PVE you really need to work harder than the rest of the group. Blitz/PotB just to help clear trash, otherwise I run Wicked if there are a lot of AOE types. Smoke to add some utility though again, if there are a ton of CW/GWF you might use something else. In Spider there are a lot less red zones and the driders aren't immune to stuns so I use Dazing in place of ITC. Same for T1s and PK, though in the latter it might be worth it to ditch dazing and just take both Blitz and PotB as that place has nothing to attract a rogues attention apart from the bosses, one of which you probably won't be able to find.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • rustlordrustlord Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Just to add in a little something, if you run PK at all, the bigger adds with knockbacks can be annoying and interrupt DF more often than you'd like. If ITC helps you not be interrupted in your windup, in any similar situation, then CC immunity = more DPS as well.
    edited June 2014
    I agree with Rustlord ITC is huge on big trash and bosses you arent DPSing when you are dodging
    edited June 2014
    kweassa wrote: »
    What type of PvE are we talking about here? Team-content a la dungeons? Or single-player, open-field variety?

With a augment pet, i got 2500 recovery and almost 25% RI, i can also spam WR too if i want...
    I dont need swash to spam skills. But i need skulkers to deal more damage and stay more time in stealth
    ( and be less squichy ).

When i talked about alone vs boss, i meant alone/tanking boss while the others players fight the adds. I was not talking about solo-dungeon.

@malphaeous : action advantage feat is broken
  • valencayvalencay Member Posts: 431 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    You should consider getting 2/2 profund set, I use head, armor scoundrel and arms, feet executioner, it give me enough crit to have a 50-51% crit chance so that vorpal dmg is at max.

Bring arpen up to 24% and, for pve, you will not need more (but not less), try to have 5k power at least and then go for what you prefer for the other (recovery at 1.5-1.7 is what I think is the right amount).

For the encounters I use dazing, itc, smoke and for bosses dazing, itc, wr. In the end everyone have is own build and eventually exp is what determines the build that most suits you
    Aset Xharran, Oppressor CW
    edited June 2014
    @ Bozebam where did I say use Action Advantage?
    @ Valencay soft cap on crit is 50%that is when diminishing returns start to make it less economic to spend points to crit, hard cap is around 52 % this is where you start going backwards I actually stacked up beyond 52 and I've seen others do it as well, accidentally and without use of chants, that is when I decided ( for me ) that it was better to drop down to about 50% and stack power 24% Ar Pen is right at the soft cap. dazing is lower damage than LB and bosses aren't stunable, WR will increase your overall DPS not to mention it raises your damage on subsequent. but as you stated in the end it is personal preference experience and what works best for the individual.
    edited June 2014
    Just to offer a slight correction, I believe soft and hard caps apply to the Critical Strike stat https://www.desmos.com/calculator/3dqpvhuavj Critical chance gained from Dexterity, passives and feats may go towards reaching 50% but it's stacking Critical Strike beyond 28.8% that makes it go backwards. Following your definition, there would be a double diminishing mark from crit stat and crit rate, a point I'm inclined to dispute.
    edited June 2014
    @malphaeous : in your build you suggested to OP.

About crit, its still up to you, 40-50% is well enough for me.
    Power work better than in M2, i also got 40% crit easily ( scoundrel path, not exe ) and almost 5 - 5.5k power ( with skulkers ).
    Power works with non-crit AND crit hit.
    I didnt check but it could be in terms of DPS ( to stop to 40-45% crit and max power, not scoundrel path ^^ )
  • valencayvalencay Member Posts: 431 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    malphaeous wrote: »
    dazing is lower damage than LB and bosses aren't stunable

I know but dazing has less than half the cd of lb so it gives more dmg in the same time
    Aset Xharran, Oppressor CW
    edited June 2014
    valencay wrote: »
    I know but dazing has less than half the cd of lb so it gives more dmg in the same time

Animation canceling on Stealth+Dazing is subpar compared to autocrit of Stealth+LB, which bypasses your would-be 40-45% crit chance: which could be interpreted as a +55% crit upgrade on the DPS logs. On the other hand, the daze effect is an altogether different subject that DS brings to the table.
  • caexarcaexar Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    rustlord wrote: »
    Animation canceling on Stealth+Dazing is subpar compared to autocrit of Stealth+LB, which bypasses your would-be 40-45% crit chance: which could be interpreted as a +55% crit upgrade on the DPS logs. On the other hand, the daze effect is an altogether different subject that DS brings to the table.

Dazing Strike can hit up to three targets though...
    Threat level 60 Guardian Fighter
    Gloom level 60 Control Wizard
    Dusk level 60 Trickster Rogue
    Dawn level 60 Devoted Cleric
    Eclipse level 60 Hunter Ranger
    Wrath level 60 Great Weapon Fighter
    Jinx level 60 Scourge Warlock
    edited June 2014
    caexar wrote: »
    Dazing Strike can hit up to three targets though...

Agreed, if the moons are aligned.

/<3 singularity

I just realized...why are we arguing between DS and LB. It's PvE for Pete's sakes. Use both :D
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Fun with Scoundrels... Deft Strike to target, enter stealth, Lashing Blade, Dazing Strike

Dazing Strike should then be benefiting from both Cunning Ambusher and Whirlwind Sneak Attack. Dazing Strike is feated with Catspaw Style, which adds a debuff to make your follow-up feated Sly Flourish even more effective.

(It's a build I've only used in T1 dungeons, but it's really fun.)
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    In my opinion, a PVE TR should not neglect Wicked Reminder. Zero target cap, generates AP per target hit, and highly synergistic with the Scoundrel's Action Rush. PVE is where Wicked Reminder shines most. Turns the TR into Daily casting machines as long as they can master hitting multiple packed targets.
    edited June 2014
    rustlord wrote: »

...as well as the recharge time. DS can be used as twice as often as LB, but two DS outdamage one LB -- unless a very significantly unlucky non-crit streak happens, repeated use of DS will outdamage LB in the long run.... also, like you've mentioned, DS does have a 3-target max AoE, as well as the 5 second Daze is the only real CC a TR has, and is actually useful. Dazing Strike can also contribute to defense debuffs with certain feats.

Personal preference, I'd go with Dazing Strike.
    edited June 2014
    In my opinion, a PVE TR should not neglect Wicked Reminder. Zero target cap, generates AP per target hit, and highly synergistic with the Scoundrel's Action Rush. PVE is where Wicked Reminder shines most. Turns the TR into Daily casting machines as long as they can master hitting multiple packed targets.

Agreed.

4 second recharge, and on average 4~5k on crits. This is actually not bad at all in terms of damage. On average 5 WR attacks can be used for every one LB strike, and the overall damage count of WR does not fall back much at all. Numerous, fast-recharge attacks are also more useful for AA to proc.

...man, Action Advantage was DA BOMB for my build when VP didn't have any recharges.. imagine that, lol.