test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is your main character RP, MinMax, Scavenger

eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
edited June 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
My main PC is a Necromancer, so I am heavily loaded with Terror Enchantment, and Life Steal bonuses.
I don't care about which enchantment minimizes/maximizes bonuses, I try to play them and outfit them according to what I think would be their own goals and ideals.

So, is your main...
  • Roleplay -- outfitted per their own goals
  • Min/Max -- outfitted based on pure mathematical advantages
  • Scavenger -- outfitted base on whatever they can find
  • Other -- none of the above
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• classylionclassylion Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I voted 1 because I am gaining whatever gear I can get, or afford, for maximum benefit for the next run to aid in the chances of success. But the reason for this is so that I can go forward on my "path to destiny". Which most gamers have

"path to destiny" defined: What you would like to achieve, do, or accomplish in a game. If you do not have one then you have most likely either done it, or haven't thought about it.
    Always keep it Classy

Classy Hyena: HR
    Classy Mistress: GWF
  • vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    At first I was RP, then I got upset and went for mainstream.

Now I am RP again. Still manage to take down some PvP spec'd players halflings that underestimate me though.
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    of course i buy things for what i can afford but i m basically a min.max-er.
    however i prefer 2 toons rank 9 rather than 1 rank 10.
  • calvin1tagcalvin1tag Member Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I try to get the best "mathematical" stats I can but only with the gear I get (or can make) so I'm a scavenger / min- maxer I guess. I do like the Roleplay idea though might need to do that with my next alt!
  • qutsemniequtsemnie Member Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I am Johnny.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    qutsemnie wrote: »
    I am Johnny.

and it might be a sin. but i'll take that bet and you're gonna regret that i'm the best that's ever been.

except in pvp. ;)
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    . . . I voted for, "Roleplay -- outfitted per their own goals," as all my many characters fit this, indeed.

. . . All of my 15 characters, even the lowbie ones only working Leadership and Invocation, were created with a Role-playing type theme. For instance, 'Old Zeb' is role-played as having some unknown connection or affinity with lightning, so his weapon and armor enchants are lightning/thunderhead. I then have another 60 mage, drow menzo female, who specializes in magics from the paraelemental planes of existence, so she is geared and spec to best resemble a mage who wields fire and ice magic.

. . . I then have a third mage in the works who is themed for pure fire (he's a renegade red wizard of thay) and I have a fourth in the works also who will be themed as more of a Psionic, using and specializing in all the control powers, such as strangle, steal time, enfeeblement, and so on. I've also been tossing around a pure ice theme in my head for my 5th wizard.

. . . I have three clerics set up in varying ways as well, two of which are at 60. One is a drow menzo (Divine Oracle) who is so old, she used to specialize in winds and spheres of healing and life that no longer exist, so she is themed to be the perfect group healer and can tank insanely well on her own in solo content, despite her minimal damage output. I then have a moon elven male (Anointed Champion) who is themed to be a specialty priest of Corellon Larethian who once fought in the latest of the Crown Wars as a Battle-Cleric tasked to bodyguard a Moonflower Prince. So he is themed for anything that buffs, protects, and heals single targets but still has outstanding abilities for full groups and is quite a solo tank also.

. . . My third Cleric is more of a place-holder in hopes of a third paragon path soon, hoping for something more damaging and less buffy to befit a proper cleric of Amaunator. If he gets to 60 prior, I'll theme him the best I can to be a type of "Wrath of the Sun God" cleric who often gives in to bouts of doomsaying and foresight. He's also got some mental issues, for he's heir to a prestigious Moradin-following dwarven clan based out of Waterdeep... and he worships Amaunator instead.

. . . I could go one for the rest of my characters but it's pretty much the same, just different themes and back-stories for each.
  • reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I dont really have a main. I play all of my characters, and in every way, everything they do, from how they fight, the skills they use, the gear they where and the enchants they posses, is all according to the characters goals/traits and personality. Even the roll stats they possess reflect that.

Always have, always will in any MMORPG/RPG that I play.
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    My path is Meh Whatever.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    All of the above in combination...

Yes I have a build which is optimized for exactly what I want it to do... yes I can get Paingiver the majority of the time.

But that's only one side of it.

I also select the looks, aesthetics, and feel of the character to a specific theme. I am playing an elven Mage, with all the trappings of said mage. I use medium warhorse because I'm a mage not a fighter, I have a Gelatenous Cube mount to similate a polymorph self spell. My armor is transmuted to Illyanbruen. I match the colors of my gear to the environment. And really get into the storyline when I'm solo.

But at the same time I am still a very powerful character and build that keeps in mind all that min/maxing for group related play where I have to pull my own weight, and be a contributing member (hopefully one of the largest contributers) of the party.

So I arm myself with knowledge, power, and aesthetics all rolled into one.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    I am a mix between Zeb and min/maxing.

I have a roleplay story and that roleplay story often does take away from the min/maxing but the min/maxing still massively shows through. I follow a theme and I think that is about 90% of what will make a character strong. Mish mashing is where most people go wrong. So my roleplay story keeps me to the theme but the theme is fairly min/maxed.

For instance my GF is a dwarf who is Dumb as a Rock" literally. He protects his friend George from baddies no matter what. So he is quite literally a meat shield. He takes damage whenever and however he can. He does more damage based on the amount of damage he takes and all around doesn't care how much or how hard he gets hit, he must protect George.
    I made the story up but the build itself is minmaxed to fit that story.

And I find that works very well for me.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'd have to say I'm kind of between "scavenger" and "roleplay" - I create characters with a general concept in mind, and their gear will be either drawn from what happens to drop for them, or I'll buy a few pieces, if I have a specific look or function/stats in mind.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    Minmax and Roleplaying.

The items are BIS on each slot, but also transmuted since AD is not a problem for me
  • query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    A continuum of all these. I answered min/max because points matter but it varies on how important the toon is to me. My main is my HR and he always has BiS. AS an Orc and an Archer naturally he is kitted out in Many Arrows Orc Tribe dyes. My GF is my little princess 1/2ling with a blonde bob and her gear is all pink and purple. Honestly I spent more on dyes than gear on the toon but it amuses me to see the little Hello-Kitty looking gal lunge into combat and start cleaving everything. The GWF is a pretty much salvage because GWF works fine with dropped gear. Usually wearing whatever the last contest dropped for dyes.
  • silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . I voted for, "Roleplay -- outfitted per their own goals," as all my many characters fit this, indeed.

. . . All of my 15 characters, even the lowbie ones only working Leadership and Invocation, were created with a Role-playing type theme. For instance, 'Old Zeb' is role-played as having some unknown connection or affinity with lightning, so his weapon and armor enchants are lightning/thunderhead. I then have another 60 mage, drow menzo female, who specializes in magics from the paraelemental planes of existence, so she is geared and spec to best resemble a mage who wields fire and ice magic.

. . . I then have a third mage in the works who is themed for pure fire (he's a renegade red wizard of thay) and I have a fourth in the works also who will be themed as more of a Psionic, using and specializing in all the control powers, such as strangle, steal time, enfeeblement, and so on. I've also been tossing around a pure ice theme in my head for my 5th wizard. .

. . . I could go one for the rest of my characters but it's pretty much the same, just different themes and back-stories for each.

I was just thinking about this one. I suppose for you it may be a little different, if you're mostly used to the later editions of D&D.

For me I am thinking in terms of the old Magic User class in First Edition, not the way things are "specialized" in later editions.

So to me, I am a Mage, with a spellbook. I can put any spell in my spellbook and then memorize different configurations depending on the dungeon or what I may need. But, just like the old mage, I cannot swap them, though not instantly, I would have to memorize different spells for the different dungeons.

So I don't necessarily think in terms of that. So its easy for me to completely rebuild my character just the same as any other Magic User from back during the day would memorize a different set of spells when they needed to go a different route to be flexible for any given dungeon.

So completely rebuilding my character and build to configure it to what's needed isn't as much of an immersion breaker for me. And I don't technically need many different characters, just the same one with a large spellbook which to me is the way I learned long ago.
  • wimpazoidwimpazoid Member Posts: 504 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    All of the above, oops.

My main, a TR was made with a specific theme in mind back in closed beta, and it is still my most played.

Unfortunately, grinding for the best of everything is not something I am overly fond of, but I do put in the minimum effort needed to get decent gear allowing me to play well with others without being a liability, and whatever scarce GS I can muster has to be spread in a min/max manner to achieve that.
  • fdruid76fdruid76 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I voted 3 because sadly I get what I can find or afford, but my choices are very influenced by RP.
    I play a (good) dwarven cleric and for instance I wouldn't get/use a nightmare mount, or invoke undead.

I wanted a bear mount but I ended up with an owlbear, which is cool but seems more feywild/nature oriented. Still I don't see a dwarf riding a horse either.

Bottom line is that things are difficult to get and expensive, and you can't always nitpick.
  • chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Except for companions and weapon/armor enchants.. there is no choice but min/max, and the others are really subordinate to that.

You may scavenge, and you may outfit to your own goals, but still, you work toward getting the best results possible. Or you are wasting your time, and win nothing regards RP or whatever.

You might choose the others if you've never done the math, or never studied the reported results of someone who has.. but still you went by the tool tips and tried to make an educated guess, I think. I can't imagine a sane person doing otherwise. (Apart from the two items in the first phrase above, the rest can be changed cosmetically at will, and you can sport any gear you like and make it look like any other gear you like.)

So anyway, I chose #2, but I have transmuted all to look the way I want it to (RP,) and since I don't have what I can't afford, I guess I (Scavenge) as well. And I do all of this in service of my own goals, obviously.

So.. my answer, ultimately, is.... yes. =D
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Min/max, but then I mentally roleplay that my character would want to
    be as powerful as possible anyway. :)
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    I was just thinking about this one. I suppose for you it may be a little different, if you're mostly used to the later editions of D&D.
    . . . Nah, I started playing in Hollow World/AD&D but used a lot of D&D material for quite a while. The only 3rd & 4th edition I do anymore is video games. I'm a D&D/AD&D/2nd edition fan, for sure. So much that I'm skipping over almost all the events in the Realms that transpired from 4th edition until 5th edition in my Campaign, which is still a 2nd edition campaign.

. . . When I make D&D Computer Game characters, I usually pull them from existing NPCs of mine in my PnP Campaign, each of which have their own backstories, lore, and personalities. Neverwinter has been no exception and my main character, 'Old Zeb' is based off of my first NPC ever documented down on a character sheet, back from Hollow World. So while I say 'Old Zeb' is a lightning theme, he is actually just a normal base wizard class bin 2nd edition with a spellbook. I have his orb transmuted to a book to reflect this. However, his personality has drawn him to enjoy lightning and electricity related magics, which Neverwinter's spellstorm mage has allowed me to some-what fulfill, despite not having fireball.

. . . My one wizard who is an ice/fire theme is based off of my NPC stats for her as well, for she is a Wizard specialized in Evocation School which I adopted to be more elemental for Neverwinter. The renegade red wizard is actually the only character I have that I made almost entirely up for Neverwinter and specifically to be a Renegade Red Wizard Evoker (Fire).
    He exists in "name" in my campaign, just only in a relatives list, I just never went farther with his family line, so making him a fire mage from Thay would work well due to his corrupted family's history and dealings in the East.

. . . All the rest are on npc character sheets of mine dating back anywhere from Hollow World to the 2nd Edition (and FR's Arcane Age).
  • naicalusnaicalus Member Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    A little of column A, a little of column B, a little of column C.

I gear generally for mechanics, but make heavy use of transmutations. My TR's theme calls for him to look like your standard thief-y type, so while he uses Swashbuckling Captain armor and the Dread Legion dagger set, they're all transmuted/hidden - Head slot visuals disabled, armor transmuted to 20-35 level band basic TR armor, boots to regular 1-20 level band Boots, arms to lowest level arms; his daggers are a green short sword for the MH and fabled illiyanbruen for the OH. He's geared for mechanics but does not look like a demented Murderclown.

My CW Araushnee is also geared for mechanics, but her spider theme is carried out in her gear being transmuted to the appropriate spidery items - Circlet of Webs, Armor of Lolth(+ Boots of Dominance/Hulk's Unyielding Bracers). She does have a Tomb Spider companion I bring out for hanging around PE/Caer as well.

My DC Eltain is the most RPish. He uses High Prophet with Soulforged, but keeps a Miracle Healer set with Frostburn for when he needs to look good, to go with his ice scepter from winter festival. He's got a winter theme, obviously.

There's also a scavenger component. While the chars I actually use are all decked out in BIS armor set and good 2/2 set weapons, their enchants aren't always the best and same goes for their accessories. It's a work in progress. I used Iceshard Dagger on my TR for almost a year until I got DL set, for example.
    Largely inactive, playing Skyforge as Nai Calus.
  • rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Im a left sided brain person (yes that is a myth). I work better with numbers and critical thinking, than I do with creativity of sorts. I lean towards min-maxing in my MMORPG gaming. I tried actual board RL D&D after I started playing this game, during which I realized I enjoyed combat way more than any of the role playing. So I dont D&D in RL anymore. But to each their own.

Typically Im a progression type player.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • erdokanerdokan Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    zebular wrote: »

. . . All of my 15 characters

I'm sorry, what?
    David Valtiere, Lvl 70 TR with perfect Lvl 60 gear which I don't want to replace cause nostalgia yo ;_;
  • celticgamer0celticgamer0 Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I chose RP due to the fact that most of my toons are either based off of my D&D characters or from characters I have in another RP site *grin*
  • snottysnotty Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I voted other because I outfit them as what I deem is best for my style of play for that character.
  • oicidrazoicidraz Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I don't see why there isn't the option "outfitted per their own goals, Min/Maxed and based on whatever they can find/afford", cause I think that would describe 95% of the ppl.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I mostly PVE (solo and group) and RP so a mix between mix maxing but it's very important to me how my char looks. I uslaly transmute the armor to something simpler (the first tr armorsets for instance)
    I try to stay competitive in PVE, I don't really care about topping the charts (although it feels great when I do) but I want to be worth my own weight, and not slow others down.
    EDIT: actually I just rerolled my main char, who had all the boons from Sharandar and Dread ring and 3 from Icewind dale, and the complete t1 pve and pvp sets just because after the char update I like the half elves much more, so looks ARE very important to me.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    A bit of everything, really.

You could say that my character concepts play well with powergaming. :P
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • damnataanimusdamnataanimus Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I tend to play my characters a bit differently to most players but I guess I am a mix of all the options here. For example I put group DPS and success above personal damage and stuff like that - I also RP a little, but at the same time I will not gimp my characters just for that. I dont buy gear with real money though I will buy cosmetic/character services and generally avoid buying gear off of the AH if I can, depending how fast I want to gear a character up.

I often say that paingiver should be removed as it encourages selfish play lol but at the end of the day players are free to do what they want and who am I to tell them otherwise?
    May the RNG Gods smile on you today!
    Adorable Temptress - 23.4k Temptation SW
    Mara Angelbane - 22k Thaum CW, Vaya Con Dios 15.2k Dragon CW.
    Mara Shadowskiss - 21.5k Destroyer GWF, Mara - 17.2k Sentinel GWF
    Mara Duskwalker - 15.4k Healing DC
    Mara Hawkeye -14.6k HR
    Mara Spiritforge - 16.9k Tanky GF
    Bad Religion - 14.7k Pew Pew DC
    Mara Shadowstouch,Maara - TR's
  • djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Everything about my characters has to have some sort of RP flavor to them from displayed title to pets and mounts.

My main

Drow Renegade, Male, TR, Lastname Jearle, from myth drannor, dressed in Sinister Shade Armor Transmuted to covert brigand from neck to toe with Profound Headgear, displaying Underdark Explorer Title, riding a Spider and can't get a **** cat, he fed once, from following him.

Dwarf DC rides Apparatus of Kwalish and bores the Protector of the living Title and has his Wife with the same lastname Shield Maiden has a companion.

Tiefling CW rides inferno Nightmare wears Demon Slayer title and has a fire archon companion.

Halfling GF wears Knight of the Feywyld title and rides a Unicorn, etc, etc.