What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Coins of Waukeen Event Now Live!

13»

Comments

• tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    What I'm saying is that other events had dedicated activities, and you must stop doing normal stuff to take part in them. This past event had no such limitation - the tradeoff being that if you really wanted to maximize what you got from this event, you need to change your approach and kinda turn it into one of the aforementioned "dedicated events" - namely, by farming enemies for the purses.

I'm sorry, you're missing my point.This event was a "lottery", both with purses dropping and rewards. I myself farmed the event for a time but still didn't get enough coins for a single transmute... Unlucky, probably, disappointed,very much so. Previous events have given everyone a fair chance to get the rewards, this one didn't. Yes I know they're different beasts, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
  • nehemiah217nehemiah217 Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    What I'm saying is that other events had dedicated activities, and you must stop doing normal stuff to take part in them. This past event had no such limitation - the tradeoff being that if you really wanted to maximize what you got from this event, you need to change your approach and kinda turn it into one of the aforementioned "dedicated events" - namely, by farming enemies for the purses.

And that is the problem with any of the past events, this game in general, and the developer's point of view to the core. Farming and the obscene amount of time investments that must be made to acquire anything worthwhile. Even Sharandar, regular content, is plagued by the mind-numbing (and thought devoid) repetition of the same 3 or 4 quests in order to advance. I really haven't gone far into either Sharandar or the Dread Ring due to those dynamics...

...so, along comes Icewind Dale and guess what? I can't even get there until I spend at least a week repeating the same 3 Dark Fey quests over and over again until I can get tier 3 boons. And once I'm done with that, I get to farm Epic quests to get my gear score up there. As a casual player, I doubt I will see ID before the next expansion, which I a sure will require EVEN MORE farming to even see. What joy!

As a former PnP'er, NWN PW developer, and all around RPG lover, I just do not understand this WoW mentality! I don't understand how the developers can even think that this content is fun, let along their failure to understand that it is indeed, not fun.

I want EPIC to be an adjective that describes a quest, rather than being part of the title that has nothing to do with the content. The repetition in this game far too overwhelming, and the last I was in Protector's Enclave, it looks as if I'm not the only one that feels that way (although I may be the only one left).

Ich versuche, ein Spiel zu spielen und Spaß haben. Ich versuche nicht, zu lernen, wie man eine Fremdsprache zu sprechen.

So why all of the rote repetition?
  • berserkrage99berserkrage99 Member Posts: 103
    edited May 2014
    And that is the problem with any of the past events, this game in general, and the developer's point of view to the core. Farming and the obscene amount of time investments that must be made to acquire anything worthwhile. Even Sharandar, regular content, is plagued by the mind-numbing (and thought devoid) repetition of the same 3 or 4 quests in order to advance. I really haven't gone far into either Sharandar or the Dread Ring due to those dynamics...

...so, along comes Icewind Dale and guess what? I can't even get there until I spend at least a week repeating the same 3 Dark Fey quests over and over again until I can get tier 3 boons. And once I'm done with that, I get to farm Epic quests to get my gear score up there. As a casual player, I doubt I will see ID before the next expansion, which I a sure will require EVEN MORE farming to even see. What joy!

As a former PnP'er, NWN PW developer, and all around RPG lover, I just do not understand this WoW mentality! I don't understand how the developers can even think that this content is fun, let along their failure to understand that it is indeed, not fun.

So why all of the rote repetition?

It's simple. They are following the strategy of making you grind and grind to attain things in the game in order to:

1. Keep you playing their game for as long as possible.

2. Hopefully in that process keep you hooked, trained, and possibly addicted to their game.

3. The longer time you spend in their game, the more chance they have at getting something out of your wallet.

4. Helps the devs stave you off with goals to achieve until the next content update of grindalicious cycle. Rinse and Repeat.

With that being said, I am not for the repeating system of the same dailies over and over for weeks just to get boons, I think it's a really cheap and lazy way for the devs to implement character progression.