test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

8 seconds in combat after striking or being struck by a player

xyntrynz1axyntrynz1a Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2014 in PvE Discussion
First of All

I am curious, why was this implemented?

To me it seems to just give the tankier classes an edge and prevent you from being able to run if you are in serious hurt.
Was this implemented to try and increase the number of kills in PvP?

The other thing is, it is not working

I loaded up my stop watch on my smart phone and for 30 seconds I could not get my mount to come back down.

I was completely by myself on the map when this occurred. Did not touch the mouse, an encounter or a daily.

Heck
I just timed out of the game due to it thinking I was idle faster than I could get back on my mount.
Scoundrel Trickster Rogue
Leaving dead question marks everywhere
Post edited by xyntrynz1a on

Comments

• chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It makes the PvE grindfest a true pleasure as well.. Kill a mob, stand around and pick your teeth until your horse decides it's safe to show up. Shift/Move with no combat? No horse. Just a little thing, I'm sure, yet annoying at times.

Edit: Yeah I'm thinking what I was seeing was new mod lag. It's not as bad as I thought (PvE,) and my perception was likely shaded by the knowledge that they had been doing this.
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I also noticed resummuning mount now have 1 sec CD.
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
  • midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I also noticed resummuning mount now have 1 sec CD.

Its always had a 1s cooldown right after summoning a mount? I've noticed since I hit the button twice on accident sometimes and I can't remount immediately.
  • spongebob56spongebob56 Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    There have been several explanations for it. They all sound like "it's not a bug, it's a feature". It drives me nuts when pugging PvP and I can see a node turning red and know I won't be able to get there in time to contest it before it switches over. Totally defeated my purchase of a 110% mount.
  • fgreyspearfgreyspear Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 472 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    There have been several explanations for it. They all sound like "it's not a bug, it's a feature". It drives me nuts when pugging PvP and I can see a node turning red and know I won't be able to get there in time to contest it before it switches over. Totally defeated my purchase of a 110% mount.
    Exactly the same for me. It is super annoying to run half the distance to the next tower before one can get on a mount. I have found myself now walking a few times the entire distance, because I just could not bother with this nonsense. PvP has always included fast mounts and unmounts, and striking from a mount. Now it got a major punch into he balls. :confused:
    Stay frosty.
  • xyntrynz1axyntrynz1a Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Yup

So not only is it annoying when it works, but currently it is taking longer than the stated 8 seconds on more than a regular basis.
    Scoundrel Trickster Rogue
    Leaving dead question marks everywhere
  • degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I was very curious why they implemented this. You'd think they'd want a shorter time to encourage people to purchase Epic Mounts? *shrug*

I was in a Hotenow Domination yesterday running from mid to our point. By the time at was at the final stairs I could finally mount up.

Maybe they're doing it to sell Dark Enchantments? Dunno.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It's a completely unnecessary and frustrating 'feature' that isn't even working properly. I can't think of a single good reason why anyone would want to implement anything like this.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • canmanncanmann Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    xyntrynz1a wrote: »
    To me it seems to just give the tankier classes an edge and prevent you from being able to run if you are in serious hurt.

As a GF with no dodge/roll/teleport/sprint I can tell you it does not give me any advantage at all. I basically have to pick a node and stay there cause if I want to move to another point after the battle is over I half to run to the next one. By the time I get there action is usually over.

This also now really highlights the OP of the ranger root that does not go away. It resets the wait time every time it re-applies itself. So when I am hit by it my mobility is severely hampered.

If they intend to keep this "feature" I hope they tune it to 4 seconds or so.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2014
    I've not seen any sort of cool down on dismounting and remounting in game. I can dismount and re-mount immediately. Is this only on PvP maps or something? I must have missed this in whatever patch notes it was in.
    edited May 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    I've not seen any sort of cool down on dismounting and remounting in game. I can dismount and re-mount immediately. Is this only on PvP maps or something? I must have missed this in whatever patch notes it was in.
    If you're in combat it now takes roughly 8 seconds for you to be counted as out of combat once you disengage. During this time you cannot mount. And the timer persists through death in PvP.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm absolutely sure that this is made because of Black Ice decay mechanics. Previously, you could get out of combat very quickly, so, in my opinion, they increased time spent in combat in order to increase Black Ice decay, because it decays only in combat.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Frankly, it is an annoyance... yes. But nothing I can't adapt to. Its been only 2~3 days, and I already don't feel much about it.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    If you're in combat it now takes roughly 8 seconds for you to be counted as out of combat once you disengage. During this time you cannot mount. And the timer persists through death in PvP.

That is so incredibly anti-mount sales and anti-realistic. I guess they never heard of mounted combat or read any history involving combatants who quickly mount and dismount in the course of battle.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • kolevrakolevra Member Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Working great in my opinion in both Domination and Open-World PvP.

It makes it much harder to fully dominate an enemy because it's more difficult to be everywhere at once. It forces more of a commitment to a specific tower if you decide to engage in combat there. It makes it harder for range players to unload, mount while encounters cooldown , then unload at another cap. Most importantly, you can actually put a good dent in capturing an enemy node before they arrive. It spreads out the battlefield and that's how Domination is supposed to be played. Getting from point to point as quickly as you could before the mount delay was just silly.

In OWPVP this mount delay is absolutely necessary. While mounted, you are more in charge. While unmounted, you become vulnerable. The delay makes this difference all the more true. It's perfect.
    --- Ranked matches need to be solo-queue only
    Enforce rainbow parties in PvP ---- 10v10 PvP ----
  • hexanna22hexanna22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    I came across an HR in open world PvP who was still able to Mount quickly and ride right up to me 3 times during a battle and attack.

I suspect that part of why they implement this, was in fact all the people who started attack from horse...However, certain classes or builds will still be able to mount after you attack...
  • hallowfausthallowfaust Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    This 8 second affect also seems to carry over after death. Such as in Pvp. When returning to campfire i have to wait 8 seconds before i can mount and run in. That 8 seconds is often times how long it may take to get to a team member to save him from certain death. Honestly it should be removed.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    zebular wrote: »

i've noticed this in pvp. i can understand not being able to mount while in combat stance, but beyond that, it doesn't really make any sense.
    edited May 2014
    overddrive wrote: »
    That is so incredibly anti-mount sales and anti-realistic. I guess they never heard of mounted combat or read any history involving combatants who quickly mount and dismount in the course of battle.
    Yup. It's a garbage idea and poorly implemented as it seems to have an inconsistent delay. I've yet to see one genuinely good reason for this 'feature'.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • godlysoul2godlysoul2 Member Posts: 661 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    I agree with the argument that this is good for helping give more meaning to the combat encounters in PvP rather than being able to have everyone everywhere at once. I also feel like it helps give a better pace to matches overall as well, rather than always flying around so much. Generally us more advanced PvP-ers know how long matches can get as well and have even supported a time limit idea in the past. This helps shorten matches a little more by not letting a teammate mount up so fast after combat to head to a node that just got cleared.
  • gorguts99gorguts99 Member Posts: 39
    edited May 2014
    The mount nerf is actually a mother****ing SICK buff to GWF once again, they can outrun litterally everyone now using sprint.

lawl
  • texy1texy1 Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    This is an absolutely terrible idea and implementation, particularly in Domination PvP - not so bad in open PvP I guess.

1. A Cleric can no longer "float" effectively between points to throw last-moment, life-saving Exaltation bubbles, or even just top-up a team-mate's health with a Healing Word when their opponent lands a lucky shot.

2. The above applies to pretty much any class trying to switch things up and/or just help out an ailing buddy.

They simply cannot do it without leaving the current point and their allies much more vulnerable than previously.

---

I can *kinda* understand why they did it -

Partially so that players can chase an escaping enemy and get the kill <sarcasm> *they so richly deserve* </sarcasm> in open PvP.
    Partially to make Domination PvP matches last longer... but this only really applies when one team is heavily out-geared and out-matched by the other (roughly equally matched teams frequently have games of over an hour). However, despite this 8 second uselessness, the geared and experienced team will *still* stomp the other, lesser geared and experienced team.

---

I can see, and have heard, nothing but negative about this change.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2014
    . . . Threads merged, subject updated to reflect that this is actually a combat flag (cannot mount in combat) and not a mount issue directly.
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I dislike it immensely as well.

The cherry on top is that the mount delay persists after death.
  • fgreyspearfgreyspear Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 472 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    7 .. 7 .. 7 .. 7 .. 7 .. 7 .. 7 .. 7 .. 7 ..

If they are going to keep the 8 seconds delay then we will at least need a timer display to show us the remaining time. It is otherwise very annoying to press "7" while running half a mile and not knowing when one is back on the mount.
    Stay frosty.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    yeah. the after death thing i could do without.

and greyspear, i tend to be running and spamming my mount key even though the mount icon is grayed out... i hope they reconsider this change.
  • otong39otong39 Member Posts: 45
    edited May 2014
    I think they wanted us to value movement stat more. I mean who cared about movement stat before, now I feel that movement is more important than it was. And they made two movement boost boons in pvp campaign, I can really see what their intention was when making this change.
  • overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    kolevra wrote: »
    Working great in my opinion in both Domination and Open-World PvP.

It makes it much harder to fully dominate an enemy because it's more difficult to be everywhere at once. It forces more of a commitment to a specific tower if you decide to engage in combat there. It makes it harder for range players to unload, mount while encounters cooldown , then unload at another cap. Most importantly, you can actually put a good dent in capturing an enemy node before they arrive. It spreads out the battlefield and that's how Domination is supposed to be played. Getting from point to point as quickly as you could before the mount delay was just silly.

In OWPVP this mount delay is absolutely necessary. While mounted, you are more in charge. While unmounted, you become vulnerable. The delay makes this difference all the more true. It's perfect.

Well, if you are the only one in your pug that understands that if no one ever steps on a node, your team loses, this mount delay is a very serious handicap on top of being gimped with horrible pug team mates most of the time. A 110% mount, some battlefield awareness, and knowing which node to cap next is absolutely crucial to carrying a team of daily-bots in a pug. No they arent true bots but they just wonder zombie like through pvp without trying very hard to even win. So when you are someone to whom most of the game is pvp, you have to carry that team. Which means getting from node to node really fast.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
    edited May 2014
    otong39 wrote: »
    I think they wanted us to value movement stat more. I mean who cared about movement stat before, now I feel that movement is more important than it was. And they made two movement boost boons in pvp campaign, I can really see what their intention was when making this change.
    . . . Possibly. The only class I value movement on are my Guardian Fighters. Still, I too do agree with others that this cooldown due to combat is a bit over-the-top, especially with it persisting through death. I'm really hoping it's just a bug.
  • phaazenphaazen Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    it was working fine as is, why did they have to break it?