test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Elo will not fix gear mismatched PvP matches as it currently exists.

blureelblureel Member Posts: 163 Arc User
edited March 2014 in PvE Discussion
Team tactics are supposed to win in PvP. Great matches that I've played in have been about team tactics. I believe in it, promote it, and support it.

But, the majority of "mismatches" that I've played in whether on the winning side or the losing side has been about gear mismatching. No amount of tactics made a difference.

This is not to be confused with the common misconception and misnomer that gear score makes or breaks a PvP match. Gear score by itself generally does NOT indicate an decisive win or loss because points in the "wrong" stats can make a player "less" than a lower gear score player with all the points in the right stats. This also assumes that both players have the same skill and tactical knowledge to play PvP. Gear score is a whole another discussion and not what I'm addressing here.

So what do I mean by gear mismatching.

First I'm talking about the extremes here.

How many of you remember your first few Level 60 PvP match with only blue gear on? and you came across that OP premade with their perfects and their rank 10s. Wasn't pretty was it?

Now, how many of you have been on PUG teams where one of your team mates only has blue armor gear on? No purple T1 or T2 gear. How about 2 of your team mates with only blue armor gear?

Or, how about one of your team mate's armor enchantment slot is empty or worse, their weapon enchantment slot is empty? How about both empty? How about 1 or 2 more your team mates in like condition?

This is actually ok if you played against a team that's similarly geared up and to some degree better.

It's not ok when you play against that OP premade or a PUG that has 1 or 2 OP players. How do you know when you're in such a gear mismatched game? when you can't cap a base or it takes all 5 of your team to kill one of the opposing team players.

It is these types of ugly mismatches that caused everyone to start leaving PvP matches early in the first place. It's not enjoyable and it's not fun to be in such a match, win or lose. Frustrating on the losing side and boring on the winning side.

After playing and keeping track of how my many different PUG teams played and their gear since Elo started, I can say that yes there are a few more enjoyable matches than before Elo began. However, I can also say that the amount of extremely mismatched games still happen just as often as before Elo began. And they feel just as random as before. One day can be all fun and enjoyable matches and the next day it can be 7 straight highly mismatched games.

Since Elo is about wins and losses and not about gear matching, there is no way for these types of matches to be eliminated.

My suggestion
I'm making a point about the extreme range of gear mismatching at Level 60 because if you think it's bad in a 5 man PvP match where you do have 4 other team mates to help play some strategy and tactics, just wait until you get into open world PvP. Oh wait, there's a new minimum "level" requirement coming for open world PvP which means the developers know and understand gear mismatching extremes and they came up with a solution for open world PvP.

So my question is, why can't they split up Level 60 PvP using that same or similar criteria? Just make separate queues for the different levels. Do a low level to mid level queue and a mid level to high level queue. And keep the existing queue as the "open" level because yes we know that there may not be enough high level players on at a given time to keep the queues full and fast. Or for that matter, low level players. And it does give players the opportunity to test out a new build, new gear, new enchants, etc. against higher level players.

And not to get too far off track here, but I believe that much of the talks about the different classes being to OP and powers that need to get nerfed would go away if something like this could be implemented. Mainly because the tactics and strategies of a blue armor player is different from the tactics and strategies of a fully geared up player especially when playing against similarly equipped teams. The value of the "OP" powers would be easier to see and understand in "high level" matches. Of course, they could still be mismatched at the "high level", but at least you can focus on the high level player complaints.

Yes, I know there's a lot more involved to make such a system work, but I'm just making an observation and a suggestion.

Just to be clear, my characters are not OP, nor are they low level. I'm a decent pvp player in that I know what it takes to win a match, but I can't win it by myself.

I have also been fortunate to have played with an elite PvP guild on many occasions. That is why I know what OP geared players have and the tactics they use. I also know that they can be beat with tactics. And I know when an opposing team "gives up" and stops trying even before they start leaving or AFKing. And yes, for good measure, I have played against them many times.

Looking for feedback
So what I would like to know is how many other players are having the same or similar results that I'm having.

And then, is my analysis accurate. why or why not? I am always looking for new ways to win :)

And lastly, what do you all think of my suggestion? Don't worry, I'm not going to cry if people don't like it. It's not like PvP is going to get worse if they don't lol.
Post edited by blureel on

Comments

• adernathadernath Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I also would like to be matched against players with the same gear exclusively. Although I usually dont have much problems with soulforge and p.vorpal players (unless I am really outgaered) I really would have the option to choose matches in which these things dont play a role. In addition also every enchant on the gear.

On the other hand I understand that people who invested alot into their toons should get something in return.

So I would like to have the option to join either some 'open' PvP system with no rating whatsoever and some more 'professional' PvP match were every enchant (weapons/armor/runeslots) are disabled - to keep things simple (and to prevent the abuse of changing your gear).
    Suggestions to improve NW:
    - Dualspec
    - Better rewarding foundry and foundry pvp maps
    - Custom PvP leagues with leaderboards instead of the current 'matchmaking'.
    - Armory
    - make jumping cost stamina (to reduce hopping in pvp)
  • mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'd be happy if they balance premade queue. Also, class balance - playing a match where your team has 2 CWs, 2 TRs and HR and their team 2 GWFs, 2HRs and DC is not fun.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The problem with mismatched games is no longer gear - ELO seems to be ironing that out as more matches are played. The only blowout games I get now are where there is a team composition mismatch. This is an issue because the classes are so woefully imbalanced in PvP. Last night I had a PuG consisting of HRs, CWs, and TRs up against another PuG comprising 2xGWF, 2xGF, and a DC. There was simply no way to take or hold a point against that much prone spam backed up by healing.

Not sure this will ever get 'fixed' TBH.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Pretty sure ELO isn't currently working. We were matched with pugs all morning running 5-man premade.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ELO and bracketing should be enough - if implemented properly. However here they are mis-functioning. In another MMO I played and PvPed a lot, gear was dependent on bracket. That meant that at 1500 ELO, you could buy entry level PvP purples. At 2000, new purples available. And so on. So you only had very few matches with some gear disparity, before you were able to get the same gear as others in the bracket.

Also, enchants were way, way more easy to get, and nobody could pay their way into godhood, and there were no godmode classes either, but that's almost another topic.

Here almost all things are wrong for a healthy PvP environment, since it is very hard to get the same gear as others who pay for it and get it in a split second, their only disadvantage being the chance they are bad players. However, most people buying maxed gear will also play the game a lot and practice, cause you know, you won't invest 1000 USD in a game if you don't wanna play it.

All in all, I wouldn't expect improvements. It's how this game works.
    edited March 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    I wasn't aware the profound sets and rings/necks/belts with tenacity drop anywhere, so I had no idea that some AD was enough to buy your way into PvP. Can you enlighten this old fool and tell me where they drop? As far as I know your statement is only valid for PvE gear.

Aww common, the sets are but a start lol. You know very well what I'm talking about. It's the Rank 10s, the perfects, it will soon be companions and zen items to increase your black ice productivity.

Profound gear as it is now, it's great - because you can get it by purely playing PvP.

But after that what? Play in it with empty sockets? OK...
  • degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    pers3phone wrote: »
    Aww common, the sets are but a start lol. You know very well what I'm talking about. It's the Rank 10s, the perfects, it will soon be companions and zen items to increase your black ice productivity.

Profound gear as it is now, it's great - because you can get it by purely playing PvP.

But after that what? Play in it with empty sockets? OK...

It's a F2P game. It's not fair and you're not entitled to anything. Some people want to buy the items, others (like me) work the F2P system to their advantage.

As 100% F2P player, I can assure you those items are not hard to get, they just take time. Personally, I'm not evening bothering with Rank 10s because they're such an AD sink for such little bonus. I'd rather have three characters with Rank 9s.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm not sure it CAN be fixed. It depends on the reason why the system did that. If it's a flaw in it's logic (for example, the setting with few people available is "random mix") it can be changed to "random mix but seperate multiple instances of the same class". If half of your opposing -or your own- team was semi-premade there may have been no avoiding it in that instance.
    That's more or less what I meant. I'm not even sure if the queueing system takes any notice of class mix whatsoever. If it just matches on ELO score then you will always have a decent chance of an unbalanced class mix, which pretty much reflects my experience over the last week or so.

I still feel that matches are more balanced overall than before.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • lewel555lewel555 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    blureel wrote: »
    So my question is, why can't they split up Level 60 PvP using that same or similar criteria? Just make separate queues for the different levels. Do a low level to mid level queue and a mid level to high level queue.

In a game like SC2 that is 100% PvP, there are leagues (from bronze to GrandMaster) and the queue system will try and find you an opponent of the same league. But sometimes even in SC2 when not that many people are connected, the system has to extend its search to opponents from a different league.

Here in NW, The pvp-ers are not the whole population of the players, they're only a percentage. Pvp-ers of the same level as yours are a percentage of a percentage. Creating different leagues will sure help the casual pvp-ers by keeping at range the seasoned pvp-ers.

But the seasoned pvp-er? It will be hours of waiting in queue, until the one other super-pvp-er of his level wakes up and logins.

The casual pvp-ers who mainly play the game for its PvE are by far the more numerous. But the core of five or ten pvp-dedicated players are the ones who actually do the pvp in the game, finding builds, elaborating tactics, not just running around like headless chickens.
  • blureelblureel Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I think you're missing the point of an ELO-like ladder. You start out against mismatched teams with mismatched teams. That's supposed to happen. It's your starting point. It goes without saying that if you win more matches, you'll be better matched to your gear. After all, it takes wins get get gear. What you're forgetting is that you have to start somewhere and keep playing. Until you have a stable ranking the system can throw anything at you. It's testing you. That means both pugs and premades and sometimes odd party makeups.

I can only speak for my characters, but if you browse the forums you'll read that not many of those extreme cases still exist. Most people are already experiencing better matches. They already moved on to the results from those matches and want a time limit because matches take so long now they are finally matched. Fire-eaters have to eat fire, even if they have to kindle it himself.

That's not to say your suggestions are worthless. But they may not be needed. Try and play more and you should keep ending up with fair matches.

The only problem occurs when there's no people for you to be matched with. I can only assume -since that's what I'd do- that the ladder has X minutes to find you a matched game and if X has passed it throws you wherever there's a free spot to speed up the queue time.
    That means if you're either very high on the ranking or are most active during the "quiet" times on the server, the system is unable to match you and throws whatever it has at you. You can call it a flaw, but it's a necessity to keep the matches going. You win some, you lose some.

I'm curious as to how many games did you play before you started noticing the "difference" in game play? I've been averaging 7-8 matches a day since the launch of Elo.

I noticed an immediate change in game play because of the leaver penalty. Matches were much longer because "everyone" stayed to play which "forced" many of them to start playing more tactics to win. As you pointed out, the requests have shifted to time limits in matches. But, I'm attributing most of the improved enjoyable matches that I've played primarily to the implementation of the leaver penalty. What do you think?

The experiences of mismatching that I talked about in my original post are happening regularly since the launch of Elo. I have not seen any pattern of increasing or decreasing number of matches in this category.

This may be because I play at random times throughout the day so I face the daytime crowd, the evening crowd and the late night crowd each with the their own mix of players (and differing levels). This would lend credence to your statement when there's not enough people on as to why I'm getting these types of matches on a "regular" basis.

My intent is to find out if there are more players that are experiencing the same thing or if I'm a really tiny minority in this experience.

In either case, I still don't like extremely mismatched games :)
  • demonkyuubidemonkyuubi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    from what i noticed, the only real difference is that the leaver penalty forced everyone to actually try after the 1st minute. pre-patch, many groups quit without even giving time to attempt other tactics than fighting for mid.

however, team composition is becoming a greater issue. i am frequently running into groups that are "seemingly" pugs with 2 gwf + 2 perma on a regular basis. having a mostly ranged group against that specific group is pretty much a loss from the start unless they play horribly enough to let us win.

i think they need to give wizards/hunters a cc and/or an attack that goes through immunity. i was actually fine with roots going through ITC since all I had to do was slot deft strike to break free on-top of wearing elven battle. I would also be fine with knockbacks being the same as I don't consider these an actual threat but delay tactics. the main reason melees have immunity is because we needed protection from stuns and a form of damage mitigation. none of us actually need protection from roots/knockbacks.

this doesn't mean that gear isn't an issue. ever run into a gwf that requires your entire team to kill or else everyone dies. even simply ignoring him barely helped as he pretty much did whatever he wanted the entire match. if he went to a node, u have to let him keep it because nobody was capable of killing him. that entire match, i think we only killed him once and even that only happened because his entire team was elsewhere.
  • adernathadernath Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    In the end the current ELO system doesnt work well. Why?

Gear.

If you want to see interesting matches, then the gear MUST be very close together. It is like in the boxing sport:
    There have to be several weight classes. People can be very strong in their weight class, but if they change into a stronger, than they will always lose. Not because they have no skill, but they lack in 'gear'. :)

It just doesnt make sense to put people in the same group or against each other just because of their win/loss ratio. The point is you have to put them in the same group in accordance with their gear.
    - Dualspec
    - Armory
    edited March 2014
    people with better gear win more matches. Therefor they'll be pitted against people with the same gear lvl eventually.

They're not... most of the times at least. That's the issue. I played well over 200 matches since ELO. Maybe even more. I have probably 80-90% win rate. If I pug alone, I get people with 50% mount and no enchants in my team. Yeah they MIGHT be PvP pros, but what do you know, they aren't. If I play with friends, which I usually end up doing, we end up against badly geared pugs 7/10 matches, and all of us have at least greaters and r8s and pretty good ELO. The matches are so bad, many times the pugs won't even leave their spawn.

So I cannot help but wonder, how much more until we "eventually" get better matches? 500 matches? 1000?

Sorry, but at this point I think it's purely a population issue. There are just not enough people PvPing to assure a consistent ELO system as I enjoyed in WoW for example. And the matchmaking ends up dealing with whatever is available, and it's not enjoyable for either part.
  • akemnosakemnos Member Posts: 597 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    the problem is not with your ELO rating but theirs.

If you have played 200 matches than your ELO should be pretty static by now but if you take another player that only has played say 5-10 matches than his could be wildly in flux. Depending on who they got teamed with in their first few matches they could have a wildly inflated ELO compared to their actual skill as the ELO rating for the win is based on team rating and not individual rating.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited March 2014
    Numerous off topic bickering posts have been removed from this thread. There is no need for that. Ever. :)

Furthermore all of the "gear" and "number of match" arguments are looking at things from the wrong angle.

Elo measures your chance to win. Period. Gear effects your chance to win but it does not dictate it. As I pointed out when Blureel said a match which was only 15 points difference was not balanced, that is the definition of balance in Elo system. It doesn't matter one bit what the gear scores of the teams are because the match was close. Good gear does not mean you put it to good use and that is why such a system is not implemented over the Elo System.

"How many matches" do you have to win is just taken completely out of context from existing Elo systems.
    The 30 match rule of thumb only applies to existing stable systems. Neverwinter has a new system and is not stable. Players are vibrating in Elo ratings in a way that would not happen in a stable situation.

The cure is time. That is it. Time. Period.

So take this time to comprehend that it absolutely can not be worse than 100% random and calm down about this and give it time to stabilize. It could very well take months but the cure is time.
  • ninefingers222ninefingers222 Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I also think ELO has been turned off around when the Q times went down, coincidence? I think not... been matched with and against horrible pugs ever since, as opposed to the top PVP guilds we were running in to when we queued as a full group .
    Essence of Aggression, OG PvP GWF
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    here's why gear score can't by a part of any sort of matchmaking system: it is too easily manipulated. elo is better because it ranks you based on your wins and losses over time and has nothing to do with such a variable.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I also think ELO has been turned off around when the Q times went down, coincidence? I think not... been matched with and against horrible pugs ever since, as opposed to the top PVP guilds we were running in to when we queued as a full group .

off? or scaled down? we know the devs do have tools to scale down the queue limits/requirements and have been watching queue times ever since the elo system was implemented.
    edited March 2014
    The cure is time. That is it. Time. Period.

So take this time to comprehend that it absolutely can not be worse than 100% random and calm down about this and give it time to stabilize. It could very well take months but the cure is time.

If not for the forum rule against PvP videos, I'd post some so people can see how bad it is when you pug. What am I supposed to do with 7-10K GS people without enchants? When I'm pitted against 2 GWFs with perfect vorpal, 2 TRs and 1 HR, pretty much all party with perfects? And I have a r7/greater clueless TR, 2 20K HP HRs without enchants and a GWF that decided to afk of sorts after being murdered 0:9? (this was last match I played in).

I'm calm BTW.

I'm just saying that I'd wish I would be allowed to post as proof of how much imbalance pugging means, and that ELO, non-ELO, if you solo pug, you gonna have a very bad experience 9/10.

ELO had enough time to be able to put together people of relatively similar skill.

Also, gear is important. You cannot throw in people without armor/wep enchants against people with perfects. It's dumb.

There's also the question of ELO going down from such stupid losses. So I built up a nice W/L ratio, all good, and then it just goes down cause I get put in impossible matches with pugs that cannot help? Not Ok... people should be able to pug relatively safely, and end up in decent games.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited March 2014
    Elo has not had the time required.

Especially with people deciding that they are just going to AFK or Leave if the match isn't balanced even if they will win. There are so many stupid actions posted on these threads which make the situations worse instead of better.

Honestly it won't get better until you all decide to relax and just play rather than complaining things are not balanced and making wacky assumptions and false accusations.
    edited March 2014
    Just to reiterate, my topic is not about gear score. It is about gear matching and more specifically the match up between players with rank 9s and 10s with perfects and players with blue armor gear with no enchantments slotted.

My current experience is that still happens just as often to me now as it did before Elo started. My goal is to find out if in fact other players are having the same experience.

And yes, I absolutely understand any skill level matching system takes time to "balance" out because it needs time to collect stats from all the players. That is not what's in question here.

As the title that I chose states, I don't think Elo is going to eliminate this type of extreme mismatch ever because that's not what's designed to do with all the other factors involved including the number of available players on at a specific queue time.

I'm not looking for speculation even though that's what seems to be the primary response has been to this post. I agree with the moderator that everyone does need to chill out and give the the system time build the database of stats.

What I was hoping to generate was a useful discussion on what people's gameplay experiences were as compared to mine that I posted and to hopefully get people to pay attention to it if they hadn't thought about it.

I already posted that the new system was indeed improved by the addition of the leaver penalty. But as some of posts have pointed out, "new" poor sportsmanship tactics have come to the forefront which I also highly disagree with.

I also hoped that this thread would generate discussion on what the root of many of the poor sportsmanship conduct comes from.

In my opinion, it comes from this extreme mismatch in gear. Maybe it would help if I redefine it this way. Level 60 gear is so broad of a range that it's comparable to combining the level 40 matches and the level 50 matches into one category.

My gear mismatching contention is about little, minor, or even large differences in gear match ups. It's about extreme mismatches.

Elo is about wins and losses and not about gear score or even gear match ups. I know that. I get that. I'm not saying that needs to change.

I'm saying that no amount of Elo is going to remove that condition of extreme mismatches. This is fine if it happens once in while.

But like I said, I've been averaging 7-8 matches a day since Elo has come out. And this week I'm still running into matches with this kind of extreme. I'm not saying this happens all the time. I'm not saying I have to win all the time in order for the game to "feel balanced".

I'm saying when I go through 5 straight matches with scores of 1000 to 67, 98 to 1000, 37 to 1000, 1000 to 153, 212 to 1000, Elo is working in regards to wins and losses.

I'm saying that original problem with PvP that caused the leaver problem to escalate is this extreme range of gear mismatching. The "easy" way out for players when faced with opponents that "appeared" to be extremely overmatched to them was to leave. That's why the problem grew. Anything that remotely looked like or felt like an overmatch was a reason to leave. This idea started from somewhere in fact. That fact I defined in my opening topic, remember playing against a well built premade with only a blue armor?

I'm saying that original problem still exists in the new PvP and the Elo is not designed to deal with it. It's designed to balance out wins and losses. You will always have matches that you can win in, and conversely you will always have matches that you will lose in.

Players learning about good tactics and practicing to use them will determine how those matches will play out. Players learning about how to build their characters with the "right" set of powers, feats, and abilities and coupled with the "right" set of enchantments will also determine how those matches will play out including the extreme mismatch example that I keep pointing out.

So once again, this is not a gear score discussion because I have a TR and GWF. My TR will never have the same gear score as my GWF. It will always be less than the similarly geared up (enchantments) GWF because that's the way the game was designed and I'm fine with it because I learned how to play both characters to the best of my current gear's ability and my classes powers and feats.

So yes, please stop talking about gear score mismatching. That is not what my discussion is about.
  • iliveforpvpiliveforpvp Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    blureel wrote: »
    Just to reiterate, my topic is not about gear score. It is about gear matching and more specifically the match up between players with rank 9s and 10s with perfects and players with blue armor gear with no enchantments slotted.

My current experience is that still happens just as often to me now as it did before Elo started. My goal is to find out if in fact other players are having the same experience.

And yes, I absolutely understand any skill level matching system takes time to "balance" out because it needs time to collect stats from all the players. That is not what's in question here.

As the title that I chose states, I don't think Elo is going to eliminate this type of extreme mismatch ever because that's not what's designed to do with all the other factors involved including the number of available players on at a specific queue time.

I'm not looking for speculation even though that's what seems to be the primary response has been to this post. I agree with the moderator that everyone does need to chill out and give the the system time build the database of stats.

What I was hoping to generate was a useful discussion on what people's gameplay experiences were as compared to mine that I posted and to hopefully get people to pay attention to it if they hadn't thought about it.

I already posted that the new system was indeed improved by the addition of the leaver penalty. But as some of posts have pointed out, "new" poor sportsmanship tactics have come to the forefront which I also highly disagree with.

I also hoped that this thread would generate discussion on what the root of many of the poor sportsmanship conduct comes from.

In my opinion, it comes from this extreme mismatch in gear. Maybe it would help if I redefine it this way. Level 60 gear is so broad of a range that it's comparable to combining the level 40 matches and the level 50 matches into one category.

My gear mismatching contention is about little, minor, or even large differences in gear match ups. It's about extreme mismatches.

Elo is about wins and losses and not about gear score or even gear match ups. I know that. I get that. I'm not saying that needs to change.

I'm saying that no amount of Elo is going to remove that condition of extreme mismatches. This is fine if it happens once in while.

But like I said, I've been averaging 7-8 matches a day since Elo has come out. And this week I'm still running into matches with this kind of extreme. I'm not saying this happens all the time. I'm not saying I have to win all the time in order for the game to "feel balanced".

I'm saying when I go through 5 straight matches with scores of 1000 to 67, 98 to 1000, 37 to 1000, 1000 to 153, 212 to 1000, Elo is working in regards to wins and losses.

I'm saying that original problem with PvP that caused the leaver problem to escalate is this extreme range of gear mismatching. The "easy" way out for players when faced with opponents that "appeared" to be extremely overmatched to them was to leave. That's why the problem grew. Anything that remotely looked like or felt like an overmatch was a reason to leave. This idea started from somewhere in fact. That fact I defined in my opening topic, remember playing against a well built premade with only a blue armor?

I'm saying that original problem still exists in the new PvP and the Elo is not designed to deal with it. It's designed to balance out wins and losses. You will always have matches that you can win in, and conversely you will always have matches that you will lose in.

Players learning about good tactics and practicing to use them will determine how those matches will play out. Players learning about how to build their characters with the "right" set of powers, feats, and abilities and coupled with the "right" set of enchantments will also determine how those matches will play out including the extreme mismatch example that I keep pointing out.

So once again, this is not a gear score discussion because I have a TR and GWF. My TR will never have the same gear score as my GWF. It will always be less than the similarly geared up (enchantments) GWF because that's the way the game was designed and I'm fine with it because I learned how to play both characters to the best of my current gear's ability and my classes powers and feats.

So yes, please stop talking about gear score mismatching. That is not what my discussion is about.

TLDR /: just chill man. It will adjust OVER time. Instead of posting about how upset you are, Go play more matches. It will get better the more you play. Who knows, maybe I'll fight you with my R10s and Perfects! Wouldn't that be fun?!
    edited March 2014
    Elo is not about wins or losses.

It is about wins and losses in relation to ratings.

Two people can have the exact same number of wins and losses and have very different Elo Ratings. That is because your rating only changes based on the rating of each team. If you lose to much higher ranked players you will lose rating but only a small amount. Alternatively if you lose to much lower ranked players you will lose a lot of points.

Please look up how the Elo Rating System works. It is not a fixed win/loss system.

Yes leavers are a problem but it is self induced. Leaving makes the issue worse and extends the time in which the ratings will remain unstable. Honestly...they cause that problem. Not Cryptic. They do. The sooner the immature leaving stops the sooner the system will work correctly.
    edited March 2014
    No offense, but you clearly have no idea how an ELO system works. But to make a long answer short: people with better gear win more matches. Therefor they'll be pitted against people with the same gear lvl eventually. After all, the more matches you win, the quicker you'll have better gear.
    Blablabla.... you have no idea .... i know very well how ELO system works. The point is that you will not have gear in the first place and are grouped against better geared people if you do well. This is exactly the effect the OP described. In addition you see it by example in the game. Some people like me want to get grouped entirely in the same gear margin.

EDIT: I admit that in the game they tweaked this system for the sake of shorter queue times.

EDIT2: IMO the only solution of the problem is to have an option to play PvP matches in which all enchants (weapons/armor/slots) on the gear are turned off. Then there should be no problem if there are 'too few' people queueing. All have similar gear (blue isnt alot different than epic and epics are easy to get)
    - Dualspec
    - Armory
    edited March 2014
    Elo is not about wins or losses.

It is about wins and losses in relation to ratings.

Two people can have the exact same number of wins and losses and have very different Elo Ratings. That is because your rating only changes based on the rating of each team. If you lose to much higher ranked players you will lose rating but only a small amount. Alternatively if you lose to much lower ranked players you will lose a lot of points.

Please look up how the Elo Rating System works. It is not a fixed win/loss system.

Yes leavers are a problem but it is self induced. Leaving makes the issue worse and extends the time in which the ratings will remain unstable. Honestly...they cause that problem. Not Cryptic. They do. The sooner the immature leaving stops the sooner the system will work correctly.

Actually, I agree with you. This is the first educational post that I've seen so far which in itself is kind of disappointing (not against you). I think I'm giving up on discussing issues on the forums lol.

You pointed out my lack of information regarding the Elo Rating system. It's not just a problem in my post though. It's a problem with the majority of the posts I've seen regarding the Elo system. Most people are not educated on what the Elo system is about and how it works. So instead of sending people off on their own to learn about the Elo system, can someone make a stickie about the Elo system explaining what it is and how it works so we can reason to stop most of these unnecessary misinformation posts about the Elo system.

My question about your leaver solution is that do you think that will ever happen? Immature leaving actually stopping? Or the broader question, how can you encourage good sportsmanship? especially without developer help.
    edited March 2014
    And you will be. Crying it takes time to get a stable score isn't going to help you or anyone in your team. Instead keep playing. I'm not one of your godly PvP people, but I found my score settling rather quickly. Within a few days I got matched against and with similar people and that hasn't changed since. People on the extreme ends of the ladder will have to wait longer sometimes till there's more people with your score before you keep getting balanced matches. It's harder to reach that level. Till then you risk being matched with people lower than you. It's either that or no match at all. Your choice.

Please... i am not 'crying' ok? Lets assume for simplicity you dont purchase new gear and you dont improve or degenerate in skill. If you play many matches, you will then (by the ELO) end up in a margin where you will have 50% chance to win a match.

Now the point is that the percentage of how skill, gear and your class contribute to your overal performance will vary from player to player. Some may have horrible skill but very good gear for example, some have exceptional skill but poor gear. Even if they differ, their overal performance can be the same. So they will be matched against each other even at an infinite repetition of matches. And this is the situation some people like me dont want, because it will result in a 50% chance to win a match at infinity in which you may loose or win because of gear differences.

In the situation in which you have fixed gear margins (lets assume all have the same gear and class for simplicity), then your win ration will depend on your skill only (as the number of matches tend to infinity). This is the option we'd like to see.
    - Dualspec
    - Armory
    edited March 2014
    I love how it went from "it will take about 30 matches" to "a few months" for elo to work correctly, I am already way north of 200 pvp matches, stop kidding yourselves either ELO has been turn off entirely or it is broken beyond repair, the ELO system works well in games with a huge player base, in a game like Neverwinter it will NEVER work as intended, the player base is simply to small, and will most likely only get smaller ... because of this matchmaking will always be lopsided, and if/when they re activate ELO the Q times will always be long, there is absolutely no way around this .
    Why not listen to the PVP community for once by making a solo Q, a more than 1 person in a group Q, and a full premade Q? for one it would be easier to implement than ELO, and it would sure as **** work better .
  • demonkyuubidemonkyuubi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I love how it went from "it will take about 30 matches" to "a few months" for elo to work correctly, I am already way north of 200 pvp matches, stop kidding yourselves either ELO has been turn off entirely or it is broken beyond repair, the ELO system works well in games with a huge player base, in a game like Neverwinter it will NEVER work as intended, the player base is simply to small, and will most likely only get smaller ... because of this matchmaking will always be lopsided, and if/when they re activate ELO the Q times will always be long, there is absolutely no way around this .
    Why not listen to the PVP community for once by making a solo Q, a more than 1 person in a group Q, and a full premade Q? for one it would be easier to implement than ELO, and it would sure as **** work better .

i actually think it will never work if it requires thousands of matches as newer players will just screw up that balance entirely. i know i have done over a hundred matches on both my rogue and cleric and it's just silly how imbalanced some matches are.

my last match involved my non-perma rogue simply stomping over everyone as all 9 other players could not compare to my 13k rogue. 24 kills and i don't think a single other person had 10 kills (i should of saved the pic). in fact, i carried my whole team and still lost despite frequently killing 2-3 people by myself. i even won a 1 vs 2 while starting with 20% of my hp.........it simply isn't fair to everyone else when i get matched against them. near the end, i checked and there was 1 8k, 2 10-12k, and 1 15k on my team i think but they were nowhere near on par with me.

sad part is that my biggest reason for losing is my own team being undergeared or maybe inexperienced.
    edited March 2014
    Probably inexperienced, not fighting on the nodes, not contesting etc... after all nubs will be nubs, I have also had horrible clueless pugs in pretty much every game that I have solo Queued for, to the point were I no longer solo Q .

I also agree that ELO will never work as intended, your reasoning is entirely correct, if you add to that the limited player base, we will (even a few months from now) have completely lopsided matchmaking, and more than likely horrible Q times, and before anyone says, hey but that's been fixed, the only reason that it seems to be fixed is ELO has been turned OFF, or dialed down so much that it is completely useless .
    edited March 2014
    Nobody official said 30 matches. Those were all player made numbers and player made claims.

Try to find it. You won't.
    In fact I have always said it doesn't matter how many matches you have competed in and is actually effected by how many matches everybody has competed in.

I said it will improve indefinitely with time. As in it stabilizes more and more with time.

Once it stabilizes though it won't take longer for new players to get accurately rated as that is what that 30 match statement is actually in regards to. The unknown variable is how long it will take to stabilize. It could stabilize tomorrow or months from now. But the only way for it to stabilize is time.

And that is my broken record for weeks and I predict I will be singing that tune for weeks more. That is the facts though, the system needs time to stabilize and it will take time. The word of advice though is the more you guys throw matches for stupid reasons such as leaving the longer it will take.