test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GWF and confessions. Feedback.

vasillesvasilles Member Posts: 33 Arc User
edited July 2014 in PvE Discussion
I've been playing since July GWF class. But really bored after the Vanguard patch, because I was killing everyone. I liked initially, but a game that is not even give a chance to other players, too boring.

1-I did not use any enchantment. Result number of the most kills.
2-I've used the blue equipment + no enchantment. Result number of the most kills.

Anyway, where I was due to this imbalance, we did tests to find out.
The easiest solution make THREATENING RUSH (At-Will) 3 sec cooldown.
Join SCUM Feel Hate Of Others.
Post edited by vasilles on

Comments

• velynnavelynna Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    vasilles wrote: »

The whole idea of a melee class is that they have to work to get within range of another class to kill them. In exchange of having to do that, melee classes are tankier than ranged classes like CWs and HRs. By being able to spam threatening rush, it kind of diminishes that struggle. Melee already has the advantage that the maps are about node domination, meaning that unless ranged classes want to bleed points, they will often have to stand on/around the node, meaning they will often be within close melee range anyway. Giving a melee class the ability to spam an at-will that teleports them to a target seems a bit inappropriate.

That being said, I think GWFs are perfectly fine after this patch, and there are other classes that would be more important to adjust.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited March 2014
    I have not played since the PvP match due to tech problems...

But while my previous experiences have me agreeing with the problem I do not agree with your solution. :)
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I have not played since the PvP match due to tech problems...

But while my previous experiences have me agreeing with the problem I do not agree with your solution. :)

Curious as to why you say that since of all the nerf threads I have seen this seems to have the most reasonable suggestion. Perhaps it could be implemented on the test shard to see if it make a large difference?
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited March 2014
    The whole point of at-wills is that they don't have cooldowns. The animation time for threatening rush should not be increased with Unstoppable - this is a big part of the problem. I realise that that's kind of the point of Tab, but seeing as how this is a "port power" from the GF tree, I think it would be okay to not grant GWF bonuses to it. Another is that this power was meant for GF and therefore scales differently with the Power stat for GWFs, and is overall much more deadly for them because they have higher weapon damage. Between it's inordinately high damage and fast animation time, besides that GWF have the insanely powerful feat giving +15% damage to marked targets (marking targets is actually much more useful for GWF than GF now) it is a no-brainer to spam this skill over any other for damage and utility.

It was a mistake to ever give GWF access to this skill. I honestly have no idea how to balance it.
    It's insane that the primary class ability of GF is more useful for GWF and that GF skills are so much more deadly when used by GWF.
  • ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Threatening Rush gets u stuck in an animation and one cant really follow that charge with a prone or an IBS, as people can run out of distance and now with tenacity gwf cant rly chain prone-tr-prone-tr-ibs. At least is how it goes for me, but my ping is pretty bad, maybe others can...

GWF also has punishing charge that does a better job as a gap closer, so is not like TR is the only skill for that and if it wasnt for the marks i would go Swordmaster in a blink.

There is also that, due tenacity, determination builds harder now and with the determination drain upon death it takes away from the resilience of a gwf. But then again what;s the purpose of a tank if u can ignore it without any consequence?!
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited March 2014
    Pretty much Ranncore's first sentence. An At-Will is at will. No cooldowns.

The bigger question is whether it can even be balanced separately from the GF spell and if not then there's an even bigger problem.

On a GF it is a utility power. It doesn't do any damage really and is mainly for movement and marking. It should be the same concept on a GWF but as Ranncore said due to the damage it is often spammed as an actual attack.

Honestly if it can be scaled separately it should just have its damage reduced so it remains a utility power rather than an all in one option.

There is a reason why nobody complained about this before. The movement and even the marking is not the problem. It's the damage combined with utility specifically on the GWF which prompted these complaints.

And do note I am a player. I have zero control of what makes it to the test server.
  • mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I believe that Threatening Rush was designed to help GFs to close the gap as they don't have dodge or sprint. GWF was balanced because their Encounter animation is very slow and they didn't have any reliable gap closers beside sprinting so you could easily kite them while just moving in circles. Now it's impossible to escape from GWF because even if you managed to go out of Threatening Rush range, GWF will just sprint and keep spamming it.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • tybrus8tybrus8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Ok,
    So lets just keep nerfing down the GWF's until we are a char standing there holding his junk in his hand. We had too go threw the first 5 months of the game as the weekest class in PvP, we get some love and now they want to send us back...
  • bigbullyboybigbullyboy Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Threatening rush is definitely the ability that creates imbalance with GWF. Playing as GWF without TR requires skill to land encounters. Getting kited is the tradeoff for such high defensive setup. Reducing damage from TR would not fix the problem.
    Good range should be able to kite melee. Good melee should be able to stay on range. TR removes this part of the game and makes it difficult to balance.
  • vasillesvasilles Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Threatening rush is definitely the ability that creates imbalance with GWF. Playing as GWF without TR requires skill to land encounters. Getting kited is the tradeoff for such high defensive setup. Reducing damage from TR would not fix the problem.
    Good range should be able to kite melee. Good melee should be able to stay on range. TR removes this part of the game and makes it difficult to balance.

I totally agree!
    /10 char
    Join SCUM Feel Hate Of Others.
  • iuliandreiiuliandrei Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 143 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Whatever change you might think of you have to be mindful of guardians, you can't really nerf Vanguard without <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> over the GF.
  • ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014

This makes no sense... what happens when a good range and a good melee meet? :)

only good thing that comes from tr is the mark and is good that it can be refreshed fast. TR had the damage reduced by tenacity and vorpal even more... Only thing that it was said and was not ok is that it can put 2 stacks of SotS (if that havent been addressed yet). Also frontline surge had the dmg decreased even further..

Only thing that was left to a IV is the ability to put debuffs/CC on targets and that is only with the help of TR. If you are naked rly is not a balance issue, play some more get your stats right cause now gwf had the dmg cut in half.
  • yourtormentyourtorment Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I've been playing since July GWF class. But really bored after the Vanguard patch, because I was killing everyone. I liked initially, but a game that is not even give a chance to other players, too boring.

2-I've used the blue equipment + no enchantment. Result number of the most kills.

GWFS are not currently stomping all over any specific class.

If you take TR and put it on a 3sec cd... no gwf will ever kill a wiz or hunter again.
    Ever.

I already kill most of the gwfs i run across on my wiz. and if youre having problems, check your strategy.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    another solution to this may be to re-think the paragon paths of the GWF and the GF. while they both are fighter classes, there is a major difference between their tab skills.
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Been there as vasilles killed some of the best geared (skilled as well) people while rolling with no enchants GWF. I am not so sure after this patch, many GWFs seem to have yet adapted, but I've played against GWFs that are just as OP as they were before patch, not many though.
    edited March 2014
    im killin them fine on the wiz, depends on how many repels they resist lol
    edited March 2014
    im killin them fine on the wiz, depends on how many repels they resist lol

Halfling Tenacity geared GWF will resist 90% of your repels.

Also some GWFs basically take very, very little damage. I'd say that HV+CoI+RoE/Mastery is one of the most debuffing setups in the game. Yet I've met 2-3 GWFs that had so much HP, and so much DR, that my remaining nukes (Icy Rays, Chill Strike) were not nearly enough. Repel instead of CS? just a small stun. Shard? The only spell that can deal some spiky, yet not sufficient damage. Crits are 6-10K or so, and the GWF won't just stay and look at you as you try to cast it.

The only good thing for now is that there are very few GWFs that are geared&specced properly, and the others just drop way faster when focused.

Oh yeah.

Let's not forget the emblem. Basically all geared GWFs will sport an emblem as well...
  • spelljammer420spelljammer420 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tybrus8 wrote: »
    Ok,
    So lets just keep nerfing down the GWF's until we are a char standing there holding his junk in his hand. We had too go threw the first 5 months of the game as the weekest class in PvP, we get some love and now they want to send us back...

No one wants that, but people do want things to be fair. The GWF has always been a top tier pick for pvp. The 1st 5 months they werent played often because of their lack of desire in pve! but in pvp they have always been god tier tanks, able to apply alot of agression to a node and stick around permanently to score points with thier unstoppable, sprint and jump abilities. It alows the player the option of always running before dying, to get a potion heal up and come back. Only rogues get this thru the mercy of stealth, which is closebut not as strong as gwf.

The biggest issue that should be addressed with all this pvp hubbub..is the the gf and the gwf are almost the same character, but the gear and ability score scaling on the gwf have always been better. The gf is limited in play choices and always over shadowed by other classes.
    edited March 2014
    I play both classes, I was beating high end tenacity geared gwfs with my 17% tenacity halfling CW all day yesterday lol

Its a matter of wearing them down. Its hard, it requires perfect timing, and some luck with repels. but its doable.

and i dont use shard at this time.
    edited March 2014
    We beat a pre put together with 3 senti gwfs chudo and others were in it. With 1 gwf on our team in the match. They werent scrubs.

GFS however have the ability to be annoying and live for a bit as well, they do need something, but dont swing that bat too far, because they used to be OP on a level of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

No one wants that, but people do want things to be fair. The GWF has always been a top tier pick for pvp. The 1st 5 months they werent played often because of their lack of desire in pve! but in pvp they have always been god tier tanks, able to apply alot of agression to a node and stick around permanently to score points with thier unstoppable, sprint and jump abilities. It alows the player the option of always running before dying, to get a potion heal up and come back. Only rogues get this thru the mercy of stealth, which is closebut not as strong as gwf.

The biggest issue that should be addressed with all this pvp hubbub..is the the gf and the gwf are almost the same character, but the gear and ability score scaling on the gwf have always been better. The gf is limited in play choices and always over shadowed by other classes.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I play both classes, I was beating high end tenacity geared gwfs with my 17% tenacity halfling CW all day yesterday lol

Its a matter of wearing them down. Its hard, it requires perfect timing, and some luck with repels. but its doable.

and i dont use shard at this time.

The tenacity system certainly seems to have helped out the balance. Not sure it is quite balanced yet, but well-played CWs now seem to have a reasonable chance.
  • kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ortzhy wrote: »
    This makes no sense... what happens when a good range and a good melee meet? :)

When good ranged and good melee meet, it becomes a long and hectic fight where the good ranged first deals repeated accumulated damage to good melee from distance, the good melee closes in and lands a few big hits, the good ranged gains distance again and starts landing more damage, and on and on and on where both sides' HP starts dropping down at a comparable rate... and then one side wins.

Ofcourse, you don't see this in NW, because ranged never beats the GWF. Things go similarly for the first 5 seconds, and then bam. Unstoppable. Game over.

...only good thing that comes from tr is the mark and is good that it can be refreshed fast. TR had the damage reduced by tenacity and vorpal even more... Only thing that it was said and was not ok is that it can put 2 stacks of SotS (if that havent been addressed yet). Also frontline surge had the dmg decreased even further..

Yeah? Then try fighting without it and see just how much of an easy-mode crutch a gap-closing at-will is.

You know why 90%+ of the TR population uses the stealthed-ranged build? Because staying in combat range with melee at-wills is helluva difficult thing to accomplish in NW... and the only way most TRs really use melee attacks is when they just do the hit-and-run (as with LB) or land a stealthed DF against a stationary person.

Only thing that was left to a IV is the ability to put debuffs/CC on targets and that is only with the help of TR. If you are naked rly is not a balance issue, play some more get your stats right cause now gwf had the dmg cut in half.

Threatening Rush is an at-will hat should have remained exclusive to GFs only, since their lack of damage and mobility. The IV path should never have been given to GWFs in the first place.

Remember, this patch made the GWF bearable by bringing them down from 'unkillable' to 'manageable' levels. That don't mean the number of problems with GWFs don't exist anymore.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • demonkyuubidemonkyuubi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    kweassa wrote: »
    Yeah? Then try fighting without it and see just how much of an easy-mode crutch a gap-closing at-will is.

You know why 90%+ of the TR population uses the stealthed-ranged build? Because staying in combat range with melee at-wills is helluva difficult thing to accomplish in NW... and the only way most TRs really use melee attacks is when they just do the hit-and-run (as with LB) or land a stealthed DF against a stationary person.

it's easier when we use deft strike as it allows us to pretty much stay on any ranged class because many people don't pack a lot of skills to widen the gaps. it's mostly just 3 dodges and the occasional repel from wizards, 2 dodges from clerics (not that they have time to dodge a lot since they tend to multi-task), and invisibility + marauder's escape + roots from hunters.

only ranged class that can actually escape from me are hunters since it takes me a while to figure out where they hid during their stealth.
    Threatening Rush is an at-will hat should have remained exclusive to GFs only, since their lack of damage and mobility. The IV path should never have been given to GWFs in the first place.

Remember, this patch made the GWF bearable by bringing them down from 'unkillable' to 'manageable' levels. That don't mean the number of problems with GWFs don't exist anymore.

that forever remains to be the most annoying thing about trying to kite gwf's. haven't ran into a gwf i can't kill yet, but that single at-will was one of the main reasons that you couldn't simply stay out of their range for even 1 second >.>
  • query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Threatening rush and frontline surge were originally GF only. On the paragon switch GWF got all the good stuff and GF got... a useles paragon path that nobody uses. This is only 1/2 the problem. The other half is that they did not re-scale any of these for the higher base weapon damage on the GWF. Well we did just lower the damage on frontline to somewhat reasonable (on a greatsword) and sub-par (on a short sword). Threatening rush makes sense on a class without a dash or a dodge. It is a little broken on a classs that doesn't have problems closing in the first place. giving it a vooldown would serve to really nerf the GF though.
  • todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Rogues have this At-Will called Gloaming Cut. It's semi-ranged, semi-melee like Threatening Rush. Very slow, it homes in on targets, requires some winding up but hits pretty hard and harder when the opponent has less than 50% HP. I can't imagine how it would be if we were able to hit it a lot faster like Threatening Rush.

The same principle could also be applied to Threatening Rush. Give it a slow windup, make it hit a harder (a better alternative since what's making this At-Will OP for GWF's is its spam-ability), and limit its range a little. This way, targets may be able to move out of Threatening Rush's area if they are fast enough or if they can dodge away before it lands. It could also be possible to add a mechanic similar to what we see from Lunging Strike just recently, where it deals damage to enemies behind the primary target. Just so that the loss of being able to spam this At-Will to close gaps infinitely is properly made up for.
    edited March 2014
    The most nerfed class in NW is the GWF, because of people who have an intellectual disadvantage. Not to sound rude, but people have different intelligence - grades. An intelligent person with bad items, kills a dumb person with BiS equip any day. I think that this is what many people are actually experiencing. Read the PE Zone chat or any type of chat to get an idea of the average IQ most of NW's cummunity members are sporting.

I came up with this theory, because the interval and consitency with which bs - nerf threads are being opened, about every possible GWF aspect is just insane. I mean this is happening on a daily basis, it isn't funny anymore and i am concerned.

You know the OP is a GWF and a good one too?
    edited March 2014
    Rogues have this At-Will called Gloaming Cut. It's semi-ranged, semi-melee like Threatening Rush. Very slow, it homes in on targets, requires some winding up but hits pretty hard and harder when the opponent has less than 50% HP. I can't imagine how it would be if we were able to hit it a lot faster like Threatening Rush.

If GC was like that, people would light the torches and bring out the pitchfork and the noose, and start hunting our kind to oblivion, tod. :D

The same principle could also be applied to Threatening Rush. Give it a slow windup, make it hit a harder (a better alternative since what's making this At-Will OP for GWF's is its spam-ability), and limit its range a little. This way, targets may be able to move out of Threatening Rush's area if they are fast enough or if they can dodge away before it lands. It could also be possible to add a mechanic similar to what we see from Lunging Strike just recently, where it deals damage to enemies behind the primary target. Just so that the loss of being able to spam this At-Will to close gaps infinitely is properly made up for.

Sounds interesting, and reasonable.
  • iuliandreiiuliandrei Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 143 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    The most nerfed class in NW is the GWF, because of people who have an intellectual disadvantage. Not to sound rude, but people have different intelligence - grades. An intelligent person with bad items, kills a dumb person with BiS equip any day. I think that this is what many people are actually experiencing. Read the PE Zone chat or any type of chat to get an idea of the average IQ most of NW's cummunity members are sporting.

I came up with this theory..

If this theory is a mark of your intellect then.. oh nvm.
    edited March 2014

I came up with this theory, because the interval and consitency with which bs - nerf threads are being opened, about every possible GWF aspect is just insane. I mean this is happening on a daily basis, it isn't funny anymore and i am concerned.

That's like, Kenneth Lay and Jeffrey Skilling saying that they are worried about the increasing intensity of public outcries and accusals of financial corruption, and they sincerely object to any government investigation on Enron, which is a normal, financially healthy company maintained by upstanding accounting methods.
  • todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If GC was like that, people would light the torches and bring out the pitchfork and the noose, and start hunting our kind to oblivion, tod. :D

Sounds interesting, and reasonable.

True that. Gloaming Cut wasn't that powerful to begin with and got the buffs it deserved when Live Launch came. I just hope that if ever Threatening Rush gets balanced, it'd be done properly. I can understand what Embracemysword is saying. The GWF class, since Closed Beta, has also been receiving quite a few nerfs of their own. They were strong in CB, end of CB they got a couple of other nerfs, Open Beta came with a couple more nerfs, Live Launch came with some good buffs but they got slammed with some other nerfs pre or post mod 1 after that because of Swordmaster Sents being too godly with high gear.

It's only now that GWF's are getting their due share of the limelight, albeit it being too much from TR + Deep Gash being in T1 Destroyer which gives Sents (who are supposed to be tanks) access to high bursts of DPS.
This discussion has been closed.