test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why was Split Shot nerfed?

shiralacshiralac Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 139 Arc User
edited January 2014 in The Wilds
We no longer hold Split Shot to focus it on a single target, instead it stays in a wide arc.

I asked a few other HRs about this and they too are having the same problem.

Had this in both PvE and PvP instances.
There is no such thing as Pleather Armor.
Post edited by shiralac on

Comments

• Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    All that has changed is that the graphics better represent what you're able to hit with a full charge.

The field of split shot never narrowed to the point of hitting a single target multiple times, and people who've been parsing the actual damage indicate that nothing there has changed.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2014
    The actual effect of split shot was not changed.
    The Graphic display was not actually correctly displaying the actual area which was being damaged.

You always hit in that arc even if the line was a single beam. :)
  • Options
    inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Nothing changed but graphics.

maybe now HR will realize why they are pulling aggro on mobs they didn't think they were hitting.
  • Options
    obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well it doesn't solve the problem with them not realizing that the 3 things they hit in their AoE don't stop the other 2 attacks on that other mob at the edge of their range.... But ot might make some impact.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • Options
    masterjewstarmasterjewstar Member Posts: 563
    edited January 2014
    Yes and hopefully (and this is a big hope) people will learn that if you spam split shot too much you steal all aggro from team mates if you just use it once and then use something like rapid shot it won't immediately aggro everything in range.
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The actual question should be "why wasn't it nerfed?".
  • Options
    tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ghoulz66 wrote: »
    The actual question should be "why wasn't it nerfed?".

Because it does not need to be.
  • Options
    destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You always hit in that arc even if the line was a single beam. :)

Actually no.

When you did fully charge split shot. It did focus all the power of the attack to one point. The difference is, it was a piercing shot when fully charged. All targets in that straight line were hit.

I know this because I've always when I had split shot. Used the fully charged shot. Unlike most people that just spammed it at the wide arc.

Edit:
    In otherwords it was like a slightly weaker version of Aimed Shot, except you could hold it as long as you want and release it when you want, and it hit through targets in its fire in a straight line.

I've tested this extensively in preview and live and I often did this as my initial set up shot and in dungeons.

if that has changed, then that should be a bug. Because that is how it operated before when fully charged.
  • Options
    kazexkumokazexkumo Member Posts: 46
    edited January 2014
    agreed. No need nerf. It's like HR is so bad *** need to nerf so much. We also have weaknesses, and most well played HRs understand this too. we are high dps class but we are extremely squishy and vulnerable, except Nature/tank build. :D
  • Options
    munkey81munkey81 Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Actually no.

When you did fully charge split shot. It did focus all the power of the attack to one point. The difference is, it was a piercing shot when fully charged. All targets in that straight line were hit.

I know this because I've always when I had split shot. Used the fully charged shot. Unlike most people that just spammed it at the wide arc.

Edit:
    In otherwords it was like a slightly weaker version of Aimed Shot, except you could hold it as long as you want and release it when you want, and it hit through targets in its fire in a straight line.

I've tested this extensively in preview and live and I often did this as my initial set up shot and in dungeons.

if that has changed, then that should be a bug. Because that is how it operated before when fully charged.

You are 100% correct.

A zoomed in completely focus'd split shot would deal damage in a "Straight Line", out to your max range. So anything in direct line of your beam, would get hit.

If they took out the ability to focus, then they totally nerfed Split Shot...into the ground

The people that say the damage is no different from focus'd or not focus'd..., are 100% incorrect.

The people that say the arc whether focus'd or not, hit the same range of targets...are 100% incorrect.
  • Options
    munkey81munkey81 Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yah..finally logged on to see the changes.

I don't know why in the hell they changed it in the first place. It was one of the abilities that actually WAS working correctly.

Now, you cant focus into a straight line.

For explanation sake I'm going to make up numbers. Previously, 75degrees was the full cone(not focused), which it still is. But 0 degrees, was the focus'd cone(which would hit anything, out to your max range, in a perfectly straight line).

Now...the full cone is still 75degrees...but the fully focus'd split shot is now(made up numbers for explanation) 25 degrees.

Now its impossible to hit in a straight line. You HR's think you had problem before with agro, its going to be worse now.

Of all the things to "fix".....they decide to mess with split shot...I really don't get it :mad:
  • Options
    shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Actually...

When I tested split shot in the dummies pvp area, I could narrow beam focus on one. So the other 2 shouldn't be hit, right?

They were always hit. This is just a graphical fix to represent the spread that it always had.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    shadow5930 wrote: »
    Actually...

When I tested split shot in the dummies pvp area, I could narrow beam focus on one. So the other 2 shouldn't be hit, right?

They were always hit. This is just a graphical fix to represent the spread that it always had.

try with enchantment that have DoT. perhaps it can help you to make sure if it really hits other?
    for example, flaming/plaguefire enchantment?
  • Options
    shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    I have a lesser terror. There's a black cloud that poofs on all hit. Thus how I know it hit all 3 of them. It's beside the point now, as they updated the graphics to mirror what the arc was. :)

That's also how I know my buffs hit others way past most normal distances. I hit the buff, I see the poof on them.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I have a lesser terror. There's a black cloud that poofs on all hit. Thus how I know it hit all 3 of them. It's beside the point now, as they updated the graphics to mirror what the arc was. :)

That's also how I know my buffs hit others way past most normal distances. I hit the buff, I see the poof on them.

so, its was not just me.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2014
    kazexkumo wrote: »
    so, its was not just me.

No it was not. :)

It was not accurately represented. You could also see it often hit far out of the displayed range while charging as well. After seeing the new effect animation oddities I had noticed suddenly made a lot of sense.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    No it was not. :)

It was not accurately represented. You could also see it often hit far out of the displayed range while charging as well. After seeing the new effect animation oddities I had noticed suddenly made a lot of sense.

dam(n) cra(p)tic!!.. you fooled us! with your illusion. lets burn their office!... jkjk. >.<
  • Options
    destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Actually...

If you tested that after the patch and its doing that.

It shouldnt. All of them should not hit.

When doing that exact same thing before the patch.

Focusing the beam all the way, focuses on one. And peirces the shot in a straight line.

The dummies on the side, when positioned with all three lined up. The shots went through all three.

When positioned with one at an angle and the others off to your side. You only hit one.

However the only thing with Split shot is, you had to hold the shot about a quarter of a second longer after it being fully charged. When you release as soon as it fully charged, you see a tightly folded hand full of arrows that shoot out, which can hit targets in a very small (estimated) 15 degree arc.

When charging it a quarter second after it being fully charged, it shoots one arrow that pierces through all targets in a straight line and does not touch targets more than a couple of steps away from where the line is visually shown.
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    tickdoff wrote: »
    Because it does not need to be.

The uncharged damage does need nerfed and people won't admit it. Reaping Strike cannot even compare. It's disgusting to compare the two.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Reaping strike was never that amazing in the first place of course it's disgusting to compare. What are you talking about? It's not even close to even the same type of move mechanically or damage-wise.

Also completely different class therefore completely different type of move. The only way it comes close mechanically is that it hits 5 targets are hit and it charges for more damage and you can release it anytime other than that completely different.

And split shot only deals damage thats it; theres an added mechanic for reaping that has a benefit for GWF determination gains and you can even move with it but not with split shot.

reaping strike even hits less, with each target hit so still even more different.

Not trying to be a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> its just a fact.

And most GWF's will say they have such superiority to HR; time for them to prove it. Not hating on them but some are arrogant and have some right to be.
  • Options
    trith1128trith1128 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited January 2014

And most GWF's will say they have such superiority to HR; time for them to prove it. Not hating on them but some are arrogant and have some right to be.

I enjoy the new change to split shot. It accurately displays where your shots are actually hitting now. The dmg is the same as before. As for GWF's boasting about dps, ect... I rolled last night with 2 Cw's and 1 GWF .. the CW's had a 14k GS and 15.5k GS.. the GWF had a 15.5k GS also... I came in 2nd for over all dmg in Karrux T2. The only class I couldnt keep up with was the 15.5k CW... he just kept spamming shard over and over. The GWF was in 4th behind the other 14k GS CW.

Keep in mind, Im only 12.2k GS.

I found to avoid agro in instances... I load up with split sky / thorns .. once those 2 moves are down. I can spam a little split shot, and / or focus on super elites with Aim shot.

On Karrux last night, while he was debuffed by the CW's along with me using commanding shot + PlagueFire + Artifact.. I was able to sneark in 2 - 3 ( 59k dmg) aim shots.. Was awesome!

Wish I had it recorded. It was actually the quickest fight against him I've ever done!! :)

Our class is absolutely fine. I can't imagine my dmg output with a few more unlocked boons and some more T2.. Right now I have full Gladestalker.. but would like another Piece of Royal, so I can stack the 2 for the 2 set bonus of each.

Also one more thing to add. During boss fights. I always switch to a single target build. I slot ( Hinding shot / Binding shot / Commanding shot ) This way I can flip into melee and give my entire group temp hps + a HOT + 10% run speed ) seems to help a lot during those fights with a bazillion pesky adds. Plus I can keep the boss debuffed. I was getting compliments last night from my group. They stated a noticeable difference on their dmg output on boss's when I keep commanding shot debuff up.

-Szlice
    Dr.Real Good : Sun Elf-Annointed Champion :
    Trith : Fury Soulbinder :
  • Options
    tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ghoulz66 wrote: »
    The uncharged damage does need nerfed and people won't admit it. Reaping Strike cannot even compare. It's disgusting to compare the two.

HRs do the majority of their damage with at-wills. Other classes do more damage with encounters. If you nerf the damage of the HRs highest damage at-will then you would need to boost the damage output of our AoE encounter powers, of which we do not have many.

Do not make the mistake of looking at Split Shot in isolation. You have to look at all sources of damage coming from an HR, not just the at-wills. I agree that SS is more powerful than many (if not all) other classes at-wills, but it is balanced by the lack of high damage on encounters. Our encounters add extra effects for utility and light control, but our encounters hit relatively lightly compared to other classes. All-in-all it is balanced.
  • Options
    spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    tickdoff wrote: »
    HRs do the majority of their damage with at-wills. Other classes do more damage with encounters. If you nerf the damage of the HRs highest damage at-will then you would need to boost the damage output of our AoE encounter powers, of which we do not have many.

Do not make the mistake of looking at Split Shot in isolation. You have to look at all sources of damage coming from an HR, not just the at-wills. I agree that SS is more powerful than many (if not all) other classes at-wills, but it is balanced by the lack of high damage on encounters. Our encounters add extra effects for utility and light control, but our encounters hit relatively lightly compared to other classes. All-in-all it is balanced.

I don't know, HR has plenty of AoE encounters. Fact of the matter is you can pump out more DPS on a quick-click split shot than you can by fully charging it over and over again. Especially with high crit numbers. That can't be working as intended.

I mean, Rangers have around 4 more encounters than anyone else too. Many of which are AoE. That's just crazy, even if they each do slightly less damage they have double the amount of them.

Mark my words, the quick-cast Split Shot will be nerfed. It's going to happen. Just a matter of when.

Honestly, instead of a damage adjustment I think all it really needs is a minimum charge time to do damage, much like Reaping Strike. If you charge it for less than a second, no damage. I hate to suggest it, since I hated that feature in RS as well, but it's the most logical thing to do in this instance.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • Options
    alton71alton71 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thank you, I now have a better understanding of what happening with my HR. I wish that they would put it back the way it was. Your reason, explains to me why I can no longer hold to charge my shots anymore. Again, Thank you as I have not got a reply back from game support as of yet.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    spacejew wrote: »
    Honestly, instead of a damage adjustment I think all it really needs is a minimum charge time to do damage, much like Reaping Strike. If you charge it for less than a second, no damage. I hate to suggest it, since I hated that feature in RS as well, but it's the most logical thing to do in this instance.

Figures reaping strike even though mechanically not even close to the same regardless of damage they do biggest difference is melee and ranged. Hell while were at it why not make split shot like GF's lunging strike it makes just as much sense.

If anything split is more like the cw's storm pillar it does about the same damage fully charged as split does fully charged and has almost the same area the damage also scales almost the same way except it hits very low to very high while split shot hits moderate to just high.

Go ahead make a minimum charge or lower the minimum damage or some such fiddlefaddle I won't likely be affected because I use split shot half charged anyway but don't spam it. I'll still do better than reaping strike which is arguably the worst most telegraphed move GWF even have; compared to one of our moderate to best pure damage move even with nature because it is ranged.

It sounds like your gripe is with reaping strike have you tried something else?

Thorn ward hits only 1 person at a time.

Split the sky hits only when allies inside are hit.

Binding arrow isn't aoe but hits 2 targets.

Rain of arrows aoe is so small it doesn't even count in this discussion.

Rain of Blades doesn't hit that impressively either.

Hindering Strike hits slightly less as not so fast.

Steel Breeze hits less than hindering strike with no control element.

Don't even wanna mention Elec shot for damage.

So, no we don't have true damage aoe encounters they are all situational which is why split shot hits hard. GWF has I think 4 of them that do decent damage and slows or moves them into range and are all useful almost any time.

Plus mechanically the GWF is a tank and spike dmg dealer/prone stunner HR is just hits per second but can be same as gwf but to lesser degree.

alton71 You can still charge it and it does hit the same area the same damage.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Figures reaping strike even though mechanically not even close to the same regardless of damage they do biggest difference is melee and ranged. Hell while were at it why not make split shot like GF's lunging strike it makes just as much sense.

If anything split is more like the cw's storm pillar it does about the same damage fully charged as split does fully charged and has almost the same area the damage also scales almost the same way except it hits very low to very high while split shot hits moderate to just high.

Go ahead make a minimum charge or lower the minimum damage or some such fiddlefaddle I won't likely be affected because I use split shot half charged anyway but don't spam it. I'll still do better than reaping strike which is arguably the worst most telegraphed move GWF even have; compared to one of our moderate to best move because it is ranged even with nature.

It sounds like your gripe is with reaping strike have you tried something else?

Thorn ward hits only 1 person at a time.

Split the sky hits only when allies inside are hit.

Binding arrow isn't aoe but hits 2 targets.

Rain of arrows aoe is so small it doesn't even count in this discussion.

Rain of Blades doesn't hit that impressively either.

So, no we don't have true damage aoe encounters they are all situational. GWF has I think 4 of them that do decent damage and slows or moves them into range.

alton71 You can still charge it and it does hit the same area the same damage.

What about all the melee AoE's? I guess those don't count? Every one ability is really two encounters.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • Options
    elminsterelminster Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    [masterjewster covered everything I was going to say but was too slow to type]
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Yeah sorry, I type my main points so you can see them then edit in the rest while correcting spelling and grammar.

Just so we're clear, though not that many have said so; I never intend to be a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> about what I say. I'm really trying to calmly explain but text makes it hard to infer that.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Yeah sorry, I type my main points so you can see them then edit in the rest while correcting spelling and grammar.

Just so we're clear, though not that many have said so; I never intend to be a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> about what I say. I'm really trying to calmly explain but text makes it hard to infer that.

I'm not offended at all, good points all of them. I only compare the two abilities because they are both damage dealing AoE charge attacks that are uninterruptable without hard CC. You can compare to anything you like that you feel is comparable.

I find it notable that no one is saying go with any other of the AoE at-will attacks beyond simply split shot. It's odd to me that the central class At-Will isn't even discussed as a viable alternative. (Because it really isn't. It's both slower and does less damage than tapping split shot with the same target cap.)
  • Options
    obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Btw Split does have a minimum charge time, its just not very long, but it was implemented during playtest.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.