test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Module Preparation Tips

silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
edited December 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
If anyone has any tips for preparations to be made before the module 2 release tomorrow please share them here.

Here are a few things I have thought of:

Free Respecs: The new module will grant one free respec token to each character. Free respec tokens do not stack. So, if you still have one from the last expansion then I would suggest you use it just before logging out the last time prior to the expansion. You don't have to spend any power or feat points, you can leave the character as a blank slate. When you log in you will have a character ready to rebuild as well as the free respec token for later.
NOTE: This has nothing to do with purchased respec tokens from the ZEN store or that came with a pack. Those respecs stack and are totally unaffected by free respecs, which are tracked separately.
ADDITIONAL NOTE: GWF and DC characters are getting a forced respec due to backend changes instead of a free respec token. So, this probably does not apply to those classes.
EDIT: The forced respec is only of feats. So, a full respec token is indeed being issued for these classes. Thanks dardove.

Mail Attachments: In the new module, mail from the Auction House that no longer has an attachment will be deleted after 5 days. This should not affect any mail with attachments, but I would still suggest claiming all mail attachments in case soething goes wrong.

Keybindings: There are one or two new default keybinds, so be aware that some custom keybinds may be overwritten. If you want to save a text file of your current keybinds, you can use the following command: /bind_save to save the character's keybinds to a file named ent_keybinds.txt located in your Live folder. You can also specify a filename with the /bind_save_file command. Use this to save different keybinds for different characters. For example, "/bind_save_file joethebarbarian.txt" will create a file in your Live folder named joethebarbarian.txt that contains the keybinds of the current character. You can then reapply all the binds in the file with the /bind_load_file command. For example, "/bind_load_file joethebarbarian.txt" will re-apply all the keybinds in that text file to the current character. This is also a great way to copy custom keybinds across multiple characters. You can even edit the text file directly to change what keybinds it will apply when you reload it.
NOTE: If you want to clear all custom keybinds before logging a given character out prior to the module you can use the /unbind_all command.

Invocation: Invoke before logging out to extend the expiration of your coins as long as possible in case maintenance lasts longer than expected and/or there are technical difficulties post module launch.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    ADDITIONAL NOTE: GWF and DC characters are getting a forced respec due to backend changes instead of a free respec token. So, this probably does not apply to those classes.

Minor correction. Those two classes are getting a forced respec on feats only and will still be getting the respec token.
  • Options
    tinukedatinukeda Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Mail Attachments: In the new module, mail from the Auction House that no longer has an attachment will be deleted after 5 days. This should not affect any mail with attachments, but I would still suggest claiming all mail attachments in case something goes wrong.

Additional minor correction: this feature is already live in the game and has been for a couple of weeks now.
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013

What is the source for this assertion, or is it just based on surmise?
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    ADDITIONAL NOTE: GWF and DC characters are getting a forced respec due to backend changes instead of a free respec token. So, this probably does not apply to those classes.[/COLOR]

So far as I know the forced respec of GWF and DC characters only applies to feats. It would be a good idea for those with these classes to record their feats if they are happy with them, so they don't risk forgetting the exact distribution of points when they are rebuilding their characters.
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    What is the source for this assertion, or is it just based on surmise?

I would point to the preview server patch notes where the forced respec was listed, but it incorrectly says respec of powers instead of respec of feats. If you were to log into the preview server now on a GWF or DC you would get a pop-up about the respec.
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    dardove wrote: »
    I would point to the preview server patch notes where the forced respec was listed, but it incorrectly says respec of powers instead of respec of feats. If you were to log into the preview server now on a GWF or DC you would get a pop-up about the respec.

Interesting, thanks- that makes more sense.
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Some tips on what to do with regards to enchantments and runestones would be welcome. Should they be fused higher than rank 5 before Module 2, or not?
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    DEFINITELY INVOKE as late as possible before morning (or in the morning before server shutdown).

LOGOUT FROM CAMPFIRE
    When you logout of the game, go to a campfire first - invoke (if you can) and logout from there. Since Cryptic is on the west coast, those of you further East (Eastern, Central, Mountain TZ) should try to login just quickly enough to Invoke (you DID logout while standing at a Campfire, right?) - this ensures your Invoke time clock will continue ticking through "maintenance".

CONSIDER YOUR AUCTIONS AND BIDS
    Also take into account any activity you might have in the Auction House (open bids) - check those and update your bids as late as possible - many auctions will expire during maintenance and most recent bids will win.

DON'T SPEND MONEY/AD
    Remember that the Zen store, Auction House, Zen Exchange and all that will be part of the maintenance (they are all linked). I do not recommend any financial transactions during the 15 minutes prior to announced maintenance time - just to be safe. By this I mean making any buy-outs in the AH, or buying Zen/Diamonds in the exchange. Purchasing ZEN from PWE will not be affected, though. And transferring ZEN to Neverwinter shouldn't be affected at all during maintenance, I wouldn't risk it (personally speaking).

#Justsaying.

@OP: Using the current freebie Respec token before tomorrow morning is genius. I admit: I just didn't think of that!
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    On the GWF two paragon feats are being switched between the Instigator and Sentinel trees. Not sure what the equivalent change is for DCs.

An earlier preview build just refunded the points from the moved feats, and this was horribly buggy because it could stick you with "orphaned" feats and not let you save changes. Far simpler to just refund all the feat points on every affected character. It's also nice because the changes could influence how someone wants to feat their character without necessarily wanting to use their freebie on it.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Also, with all of my Leadership tasks that generate barrels, crates, and boxes of loot, I am not opening them now, but I will wait to open them until after the patch, because I've read that they might also contain the marks needed for upgrading enchants and runestones in the new system.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    pointsman wrote: »
    Also, with all of my Leadership tasks that generate barrels, crates, and boxes of loot, I am not opening them now, but I will wait to open them until after the patch, because I've read that they might also contain the marks needed for upgrading enchants and runestones in the new system.

Only the green ones chests/barrels contain marks, and it is the white marks at that (which are only used on r1 and r2 enchantments). The blue chests contain white quality refining stones.
  • Options
    tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Only the green ones chests/barrels contain marks, and it is the white marks at that (which are only used on r1 and r2 enchantments). The blue chests contain white quality refining stones.

I am holding out hope for a last minute change to this. (I am a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>-eyed optimist)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    tickdoff wrote: »
    I am holding out hope for a last minute change to this. (I am a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>-eyed optimist)

Same. If it doesn't change, I might even hold out for longer before opening them up.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Thanks for the tips!
  • Options
    mlegermleger Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Any suggestions on guild bank slots? our guild has 2 bank slots dedicated just for enchantments
    Thorin Oakenshield - 60 DC | Floki Longarm - 60 TR | Tiny Tank - 60 GWF
    Stand your Ground NW-DNBHK74ML
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2013
    . . . . . I've also been testing out my masses of Leadership chests. I also have not gotten any pearls or marks from [Small Chest of Goods], but I have also gotten them from [A Barrel of Goods] and [Medium Chest of Goods], along with the [White Pearl]. However, I've gotten the [Minor Mark of Potency] and [White Pearl] from [Large Chest of Goods] and [Lesser Mark of Union] from [Very Large Chest of Goods].

. . . . . Mind... the chance is extremely low... I've went through 50 or more boxes of each type before getting a single mark or pearl, then sometimes I get about 10 white marks and a handful of pearls from my stacks. About one in 50 purple chests yielded a green mark, sometimes not one (opening 15 at a time).

. . . . . Right now, it just doesn't seem worth-while to open these chests. I may just hold off opening them also, hoping they adjust the drop rates to be more reasonable for the time put into working them.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I have gotten Minor Marks of Potency from Small Chests of Goods, single drops instead of sets of two, I believe. (Got overzealous on the clicking when I was convinced I wouldn't get anything.) Very rare drop from these, but also an appropriate drop from that size of box, imo.

As I've stated in other feedback thread, I feel that any container which can drop rank 3 or 4 enchantments should also include a chance to drop lesser marks, since these are the kind you need in order to work with those rank of enchantments. Lesser marks feel more like a taunt than anything. They are only useful if you're currently working on ranking up from rank 1 or 2 enchantments.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia