test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Devs and all players: To value Role Playing, let us revise the name of "Life Steal"

ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
Hi, Developers and all players,

In a role playing game, things can be confusing if it were named subjectively. It would be more pleasing to see things being presented in a equitable and impartial way. In this thread, we will be talking about the naming of one of character stats, "Life Steal".

While all other eight character stats were named fairly unprejudiced, Life Steal was not.

It is a universal value that "stealing" is not a positive act, or at least people do not say it is fine without doubt. Especially in a role playing game, naming things with it can easily cause problems if not much role playing aspects were took into account.

In this game, there are many cleric gears which have this stat. So the problem occurs. A holy cleric steals others' life? That can't be serious;

And by invoking, players occasionally get a buff called Righteous Boon, which grants bonus Armor Penetration and Life Steal. Still, it's hard to say that stealing others' life is anything righteous.

Players who play neutral-ish or evil-ish characters might not have any problem with this naming, but it surely is a frustration to players who play good-ish characters.

For this reason, and for more and more gears with this stat being introduced into the game, I sincerely suggest that we have the name of this stat be revised.

Because this stat in effect does not actually "steal" life from your targets, it can be simply renamed to, for example, Life Regaining or Life Replenishment.

By renaming it to Life Regaining or Life Replenishment, it will then be ideally unprejudiced. And role players can then give the full rein to their imagination to define the stat themselves. Players may either define it as stealing foes' life, as its current definition, or define it as, say, absorbing spiritual energy from the nature to replenish their hp.

So if you too value role playing and have found this issue frustrating, or you are okay with it but are also fine to see it being given a fairer name, please support this petition. Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
A role player
Post edited by ianthewizard2012 on

Comments

• Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
  • Options
    arabaturarabatur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 778 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I can't wait to see the next installment in this over zealous soap opera!
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Constructive advice are welcomed and appricated. But if you just want to post malicious remarks, please save your time and personality.
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Constructive advice are welcomed and appricated. But if you just want to post malicious remarks, please save your time and personality.

I'm currently roleplaying netural evil. I can't help it.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    while i don't necessarily agree with the OP's suggestion, i don't understand why the disrespect is necessary in this thread. your opinion may be that the op's suggestion is ridiculous, but all you need to do is disagree with it and move on. people have suggested that this game is 18+ but this doesn't really sound like mature behavior.

it's one thing to be sarcastic and stabby with your friends... that's a mutual understanding. but this really isn't the place for that. and it also makes unnecessary work for the mods because they will eventually have to clean up the mess.
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Can we call it life taking. or Soul ripping. Would be more suitable for my characters.

Our characters are no thieves, but we are all murderers.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Unfortunately, not every name and term can be made to suit role-players. Sometimes it is what it is.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    In this game, there are many cleric gears which have this stat. So the problem occurs. A holy cleric steals others' life? That can't be serious;

So it isn't ok to steal life but it's ok to kill the thing you were stealing life from?
  • Options
    altyrealtyre Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 106 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Imagine you started playing a game for the very first time with no knowledge of it - you saw a stat called "life replenishment" - what would you think it does? Probably not take life from enemies.

If you see a stat called Life steal, you know *exactly* what it does.

Clarity is more important than RP. Sorry.
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Most of the players don't care. they are here to have fun. You want to roleplay then do it. But trying to have something changed that very few care about is not going to happen. When I am playing I am roleplaying. The DM is the npcs and the mobs.
  • Options
    krinamankrinaman Member Posts: 129 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I really don't get these kind of things. If you are role playing, role play that it's called something different. The only place the skill name appears is outside the role playing world. Heck, role play that it isn't really stealing life and it's mis-named in your role playing world. IDK - your character can have a pet peeve with it and correct everyone that uses "life steal" in conversation. The game world is what it is, role play within it.
  • Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Again, we're talking about semantics here. Overlooking the fact that the word "steal" varies somewhat in nuance depending on the context, at the very basic level you can be said to be "stealing" the lives of those poor, poor NPCs, no matter how evil they may be, simply because their lives did not belong to you, and you "took" them.

To up the absurdity a little more, what about all those quests that ask you to "kill" things? Is killing not a bad act? Should it be changed to "defeat"? Oh wait, killing is fine as long as the consensus is that the victim deserved or needed killing.

Same for "life steal".
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    edited November 2013
    altyre wrote: »
    Imagine you started playing a game for the very first time with no knowledge of it - you saw a stat called "life replenishment" - what would you think it does? Probably not take life from enemies.

If you see a stat called Life steal, you know *exactly* what it does.

Clarity is more important than RP. Sorry.

Life permanently borrowing.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Killing evil mobs who endanger, harm, torture, or even eat innocent people is in fact a righteous deed. So nope, killing isn't worse than stealing in such cases. Stealing hp, imho, really isn't anything honorable.

Besides, since those acts have already been defined in black and white as stealing, it's hard for me to fool myself into thinking that they aren't stealing and are something else.
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Killing evil mobs who endanger, harm, torture, or even eat innocent people is in fact a righteous deed. So nope, killing isn't worse than stealing in such cases. Stealing hp, imho, really isn't anything honorable.

Besides, since those acts have already been defined in black and white as stealing, it's hard for me to fool myself into thinking that they aren't stealing and are something else.

Dont use it then?
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I propose a counter-proposal. For those of us who roleplay our characters stealing the life from our opponents, can we rename the previously named "life steal" mechanic from "life replenishment" to "life steal"? I think that more accurately reflects what the real roleplayers are going for.

Thanks for the consideration.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited November 2013

It may be hard for you, a single person, but not for majority of the other players out there who are more comfortable with clarity in naming. One person's aesthetic preferences will never merit the change which you're asking for.

A better solution would be to steer clear off these "dishonorable" and "evil" things. Just don't use gear with Life Steal. Gear with Life Steal may suit your playstyle, but they're evil. Don't use them no matter how powerful they are. Seeing as you're this devoted to role-playing, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have any trouble remodeling your character's overall build to something that doesn't Steal HP or Steal Time. Maybe better to stay away from Oppressive Force as well since to oppress is what tyrants do.

Now don't get me wrong, I admire your devotion to role-playing! It's just that it's hard to see this happening just for the preferences of one person. Better to just work around it and play with what you have.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    grimah wrote: »
    Can we call it life taking. or Soul ripping. Would be more suitable for my characters.

Our characters are no thieves, but we are all murderers.

these are actually some great alternatives. :D
  • Options
    edited November 2013

weren't robin hood's deeds righteous even though he was "stealing"? so stealing life from evildoers isn't necessarily a negative thing. it's just part of being an adventurer in the d&d realms.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    grimah wrote: »
    Dont use it then?
    A better solution would be to steer clear off these "dishonorable" and "evil" things. Just don't use gear with Life Steal.
    Yes, my character doesn't use Life Steal gears. But there will be more and more useful gears and boons which contain Life Steal bonus. Therefore it will be more and more unfair because good-ish characters like mine cannot use them.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Maybe better to stay away from Oppressive Force as well since to oppress is what tyrants do.
    Thanks for reminding. My main language is not English so I didn't know very clearly what "oppressive" means. I just looked it up on Dictionary.com and found it has multiple definitions. The second definition seems to correspond to what the name "Oppressive Force" conveys:
    2. causing discomfort by being excessive, intense, elaborate, etc.: oppressive heat.

So "oppressive" here actually means "intense" instead of "tyrannical".
  • Options
    dragoncrest0dragoncrest0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Lol not this "stealing" ideology again.

My god. Give it a rest. lol

Its the same thing as the last thread he made about changing the name of "Steal Time"

I'm a full time roleplayer and I find this just beyond silly.
  • Options
    aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,364 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    So if you too value role playing and have found this issue frustrating, or you are okay with it but are also fine to see it being given a fairer name, please support this petition. Thank you very much.
    Sincerely,
    A role player

First of all I commend you for playing Neverwinter and participating on the forums here, role players in general are the original computer gamers.

HOWEVER, this has got to be one of the silliest posts I have seen since the last Olympics. Here's my take, and this is from someone who started playing D&D in '76.

In my opinion, life-steal in and of itself is not evil. I mean you're already stabbing the guy to death. :D~ Making him bleed out doesn't make it evil, and the act of life stealing that uses negative energy to suppress life energy can already be found in cleric spells such as energy drain.

I can see where you're making the leap of logic when it comes to life stealing. It's a common one, however lets look at it through the mind of neutrality...

Negative Energy is, in and of itself, not inherently evil in any way. It is the opposite of life, and serves a perfectly natural function in the great wheel of existence, clearing away the old so that the new may take its place. Negative Energy is functionally like fire. It can be used for bad things, but that does not mean the stuff itself is bad. Killing someone with a sword of life stealing is no more evil than killing that same person with a chair leg. If you then turned around and raised the guy's corpse as undead, that IS evil, not because you're using negative energy, but because you're essentially dooming that guy's soul simply to get yourself a servant to wreck havoc on others. It's your malicious nature that makes it evil.

If you look at energy drain and life stealing in the rulebooks, they are NOT death effects, and they are not a guarantee of evil status. Hey how about when killing is not good enough, when you need to destroy an opponents life force to prevent them from coming back and engaging in worse evil?

Again, it's not the source of the power, or the kind of power, it's what one chooses to do with it, even if it's not much of a choice. An evil priest who runs around curing the wounds, and raising the fallen members, of the evil horde under his/her command is doing evil. In fact, he/she is doing far greater evil than the foes of this horde who run around killing them with cause wounds, and poison.

- Aandre, layin down the goods and the bads since before bones !

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • Options
    grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Fine call it blood drain.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    aandrethegiant,

Thank you. I agree with you that things like Negative Energy itself is not inherently evil. However, I'm still not convinced that stealing can be a positive act. Sorry about that.

This is how I review it:
    If one kills evil mobs who endanger the innocent, he is a hero; if one steals others' things, he is a petty thief (at least at the moment when he steals, he is.).
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Fine call it blood drain.
    That's no difference from stealing as that's draining others' blood without their consent.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited November 2013
    Robin Hood is a petty thief?

I think you missed the point, it's not what you use but why or how you use it that makes something evil or unlawful. Seriously you need to get over the word "steal" as being negative because there are many connotations of that.

Do you pick up the loot they drop? You killed something and took what he owned. That's stealing.
    So what's next? We shouldn't get loot drops because that's stealing?

How about a person who steals a loaf of bread to feed his family? Is that evil? He stole it! How dare, he he's going to hell!

Really, Ian, what makes this whole fascination you have with the word "stealing" so irrational is that you're completely overlooking the fact that you are killing another living creature. Next to the light of killing a creature the means of how you killed that other creature is really, really irrelevant.
    You stole time from the other creature to slow them and speed you up! That's unforgivable. Forget the fact you killed it, you stole from it, how dare you!

Could there be a more political correct term for "Life Steal?" Sure but it would also be much more confusing.

Honestly in my life I have never met anybody who has truly fought to make things PC. Literally everybody in my life draws a line of being respectful or not but thinks anything to do with Political Correctness is a load of baloney. Do you also argue that Garbage Men should be called Sanitation Workers and American Indians should be called Native Americans?

So in conclusion, yet again, if the effect isn't evil then it isn't evil. If you don't want to steal the life force from another creature then don't because a rose by any other name would smell just as sweet.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    ambisinisterr,

Thanks for the example of Robin Hood. He surely is a good-ish guy.

I think he is okay if his alignment is chaotic good. To my lawful good character, stealing really isn't his style.
  • Options
    arcmoon99arcmoon99 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It is what it is honestly.

You literally STEAL the targets health for your own gain. Even fit for RP.

If you do not wish to STEAL life force than don't spec into life steal.
    Arc, proud officer of Novus Ordo
    bannernwf_zps00ed5b05.jpg
    New to the game? Check out my build guide to give you an idea on how to set up your characters!
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited November 2013
    Now we get into the juicy bits: how horrible the alignment system is.

What defines lawful?

Well Superman is lawful stupid for sure. Thank you for killing him in the Dark Knight Returns DC!

But what about Batman himself? He's a vigilante. He goes outside the law. He kicks butt and doesn't take names. He tortures. He terrifies. He maims. But he's good? He tortures people and he's good? Well at least he is certainly chaotic?

Nope. Actually many on this debate claim him as lawful because the law to him is what he defines it. His moral code is law. What he says is right and wrong is final. He doesn't follow the law of society but he follow his law to a tee and that law is held true in every situation he is in.

This isn't a mud hole, it's an operating table!
    So brutal. So right. So within his law. He is a lawful character.

But hey, you did it again...
    Are you against the effect of life steal?

Think about the answer to that...
    Because if it is anything besides no the argument ends there.

Changing the name won't change the effect. Unless you don't want the effect there's nothing to be gained from changing the name.

You want my opinion? Forget the PC garbage known as life steal and call it "Vampiric." It's already been changed to be PC, there's no need to change it anymore unless it's back to referencing the true word for feeding off the life of another creature.