test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will this game get an update to the D&D Next rules?

drbaalsdrbaals Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
edited October 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I would like to see this game get an update to the D&D next RPG rules set.

4th edition rules was the least favorite rules set to begin with. The next rules set bring back alot of the older rules for spell casters. I have been playtesting the new rules and it is better way better then 4th edition.
Post edited by drbaals on

Comments

• bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    drbaals wrote: »
    I would like to see this game get an update to the D&D next RPG rules set.

4th edition rules was the least favorite rules set to begin with. The next rules set bring back alot of the older rules for spell casters. I have been playtesting the new rules and it is better way better then 4th edition.

There is no evidence that 4th edition rules are the least favorite, in fact sales of 4e sourcebooks and materials prove otherwise.

Also changing to DnD Next now would basically require building an entire new game from the ground up and would just as well to be saved for 4 years down the line when Wizards feel like authorizing another DnD MMO.

EDIT: Also, will people stop saying "4e was the least popular edition of DnD ever printed" when they mean "I didn't like 4e DnD at all." Stop thinking that your viewpoint and the viewpoint of the vocal minority is the truth.
  • enixonbbenixonbb Member Posts: 71
    edited October 2013
    Regardless of how popular 4e is or not, the game barely follows the PnP RPG rules outside of some names and and very basic concept anyhow so I'd hesitate to really call it a "4e game" to begin with.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    enixonbb wrote: »
    Regardless of how popular 4e is or not, the game barely follows the PnP RPG rules outside of some names and and very basic concept anyhow so I'd hesitate to really call it a "4e game" to begin with.

I absolutely wouldn't. It's Champions-Online/Star-Trek-Online wrapped in a fantasy skin. It's basically "Cryptics Generic Combat Engine" with different labels and textures applied.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    More generally..... no, D&D video games don't update when the rules change. D&D Online is still using 3.5, Neverwinter Nights is still using the D&D rules it was designed under, etc.
  • truelokastertruelokaster Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    eldarth wrote: »
    I absolutely wouldn't. It's Champions-Online/Star-Trek-Online wrapped in a fantasy skin. It's basically "Cryptics Generic Combat Engine" with different labels and textures applied.

And I love the way it is.
  • sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    From what I've seen, D&D Next rules are shaping up to be pretty sweet. :)

As an aside, Neverwinter is actually inspired by several different rulesets - including 4th Edition. That's one thing I love about it!
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
  • drbaalsdrbaals Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    bluedarky wrote: »
    There is no evidence that 4th edition rules are the least favorite, in fact sales of 4e sourcebooks and materials prove otherwise.

Also changing to DnD Next now would basically require building an entire new game from the ground up and would just as well to be saved for 4 years down the line when Wizards feel like authorizing another DnD MMO.

EDIT: Also, will people stop saying "4e was the least popular edition of DnD ever printed" when they mean "I didn't like 4e DnD at all." Stop thinking that your viewpoint and the viewpoint of the vocal minority is the truth.

Well sucks to be you when there is proof that 4.0 isnt the popular edition. 3.5 edition is right now the most popular edition and the new D&D next edition takes alot from 3.5 edition not much from 4.0.

YOu can use statistics to get this fact. Well Google search statistics anyway. Surprising the new rules which isnt even out yet gets about same searchs as 3.0.

But anyway since i am right about 4.0 not doing so well.
  • lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Well sucks to be you when there is proof that 4.0 isnt the popular edition. 3.5 edition is right now the most popular edition and the new D&D next edition takes alot from 3.5 edition not much from 4.0.

YOu can use statistics to get this fact. Well Google search statistics anyway. Surprising the new rules which isnt even out yet gets about same searchs as 3.0.

But anyway since i am right about 4.0 not doing so well.

Wait, your using google search statistics to determine that DnD 4.0 is the, what, least searched for out of the two?

The logic here is astounding. Cause nobody searches for things to learn about them, they only search about what they already like.

Personally, I didn't take initially to 4e. But after a few good playtests, I saw why they made many of the changes that they did. I will reserve my opinion of Next until I play it, and by that time, I'll probably see why they evolved it then.

Doesn't matter to me. I play what my friends play, and I have DnD all the way back to the original red-box sets. Just so happens on the virtual table-tops and in my house, 4e is the way we go.

Only thing I hate about a new release is waiting two years to get all the necessary source books.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • drbaalsdrbaals Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    lobo0084 wrote: »
    Wait, your using google search statistics to determine that DnD 4.0 is the, what, least searched for out of the two?

The logic here is astounding. Cause nobody searches for things to learn about them, they only search about what they already like.

Personally, I didn't take initially to 4e. But after a few good playtests, I saw why they made many of the changes that they did. I will reserve my opinion of Next until I play it, and by that time, I'll probably see why they evolved it then.

Doesn't matter to me. I play what my friends play, and I have DnD all the way back to the original red-box sets. Just so happens on the virtual table-tops and in my house, 4e is the way we go.

Only thing I hate about a new release is waiting two years to get all the necessary source books.

Yes you can go by the amount of searches is a base on its popularity. The searches for 3.5 rules is 10times the rate of 4.0 so unless in your strange little world you only search for 3.5 stuff if you dont like it.

If 4.0 was so great then why are they changing most of the flavor back to 3.5 edition. Since its so great why arnt they pumping out a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> load of 4th edition new stuff.

Easy the devs for 5.0 even stated they should of worked on 4.0 more and tested it and listened to the feedback but they only listened to a small number of yea sayers and not the overall nay sayers.

I also played D&D from the redbox basic edition. Which was about as close to 4th right now. You dont really even need a DM realy is was so simplified. Every character is basic and simple and the same really.

Since you say 4th edition is doing so well i guess you think the devs for the next edition are all crazy stupid and are waisting 2 years making the game renewed. I guess they are doing this just for kicks and not the fact most people dont like 4th edition
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I could see them incorporating some of the events, if things change from what we have now to this next iteration, but there's no reason to go ahead changing the entire engine or anything. But, hey - maybe if there are new classes or variations of existing ones, we could see those reflected in future releases...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If 4.0 was so great then why are they changing most of the flavor back to 3.5 edition. Since its so great why arnt they pumping out a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> load of 4th edition new stuff.

They are going to have to go way back further than 3.5 if they want to produce something great. Also, why would they pump out new stuff for a system that will be shortly replaced.
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    I could see them incorporating some of the events, if things change from what we have now to this next iteration, but there's no reason to go ahead changing the entire engine or anything. But, hey - maybe if there are new classes or variations of existing ones, we could see those reflected in future releases...

They probably won't be able to incorporate too much of the new stuff, as it appears the next edition will be making fairly significant changes to the setting, or at least the way magic works... again.
  • lurksnomorelurksnomore Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Could we please not possibly have another stupid edition war?

In any case, of course NW won't be updated to 5e rules. The difference between 4e and 5e is roughly as big as between 3.5e and 4e; they'd have to rebuild a good part of the game.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    Just as a bit of long time D&D Video Game experience:

The rules are the foundation to every game and are incorporated into every minor feature of a game.
    No D&D game ever "updates" it's rule-set without doing so in a completely new sequel game.

As per what Som said, Neverwinter is inspired by various D&D Rulesets but mainly draws from Fourth Edition. There's no reason that future content can't or won't be inspired by changes brought by D&D Next but while I can't say they won't ever do something if you're hoping for a complete changeover I wouldn't hold my breath.

Too complicated. Too much money required. Next to no incentive to do so.
    The game is what it is. It will ever change, adapt and be expanded upon but the core gameplay has already been defined.
  • boudicciaboudiccia Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The only part of Neverwinter that is 4E inspired are the paragon paths because no other version of D&D had the paragon system. The base of the game as Eldarth pointed out is "Cryptics Generic Combat Engine" with different labels and textures applied. Everything about how damage is calculated, character health, level curves, gear makeup has almost nothing to do with any version of D&D rules. Fourth edition had a level cap of 30 and anything over level 20 was considered epic. Most people who play 4E never make it to level 20 because it takes months or years of campaigning to get that far. A quote "Marketing decision" was made to have a level cap of 60 and a soft leveling curve that appeal to a wider audience.

Most people here are the equivalent of in 4E rules would be under level 10. There is no such thing as gear score in 4E either or any other version. That is an idea stolen from World or Warcraft along with other MMO generic ideas such as daily dungeons, and PvP arenas. Foundry if put together by the right authors can some times feel like playing a module though. Foundry is probably the best part about Neverwinter and would really like to see that expanded upon more.

Not saying any of these non-4E features are bad. In fact I think Neverwinter overall is a very fun game. What I am saying is don't delude yourself into thinking you are playing 4E. You are not playing anything remotely resembling 4E. What you are playing is a game that just happens to take place in the post Spellplague era of 4E in the forgotten realms. Enjoy it for what it is worth and forget about major revamps.
    Try my Foundry: Claiming the Halfling Quarter NW-DIRT5MWZH
    Sequel: The Return to Sloping Street NW-DACVPHGHW
    Part 3: The Merchant's Tower NW-DC3LB6TZ9
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    Um....I think your mixing a bit of information up.

Neveriwnter is a three to one ratio. As in, level 60 is level 20 in pen and paper terms.
    This was stated multiple times pre-release.

Furthermore "Paragon Paths" is just a name. It is the equivalent of "Prestige Class" with some minor alterations.

And point blank: Dungeons and Dragons is not a balnaced game.
    MMO's need to be balanced. D&D is not. Period. Changes had to happen.

The game is very much based on D&D thorugh and through but no you can't make a direct translation without making a completely broken game. The changes make it easier to balance while still sticking true to the rules of the game. Open up the rule books and compare the powers. The only large deviation is the feats which I'm not really fond of.

Saying because instead of rolling a d20 the roll is a d100 doesn't make it any less of a D&D game.
    If that's all you see...well...then you are lost. ;)
  • boudicciaboudiccia Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    There is a reason a d20 is used and not a d100 and that is because of proportionality rule of math. For example 20 x 20 = 400 but 100 x 100 is 10,000. These are not the same proportions anymore when calculations are applied. This is why 4E characters rarely do more than a few hundred damage while our characters in Neverwinter are doing tens of thousands of damage. The proportionality does not scale as you think. Increase the dice multiplier linearly yields an exponential increase in weight of the roles.

This concept can be drawn visually using these cubes.

cubes1.GIF

A cube representing 100 would not even fit on the screen. If you think 'case IV' is only 4 times bigger than 'case I' then you are truly lost sir. Changing the dice multiplier to anything other than a d20 fundamentally changes the rules of the game. If you don't believe me go try playing a game of 4E with a d10 instead of a d20 and see how it works out for you.

Your point blank statement is spot on though.
    And point blank: Dungeons and Dragons is not a balnaced game.
    MMO's need to be balanced. D&D is not. Period. Changes had to happen.

I agree with this 100%. Bottom line is changes had to happen. But with those changes you have to admit we are not playing Dungeons and Dragons anymore but a stand in that has the flavor and feel of Dungeons and Dragons. I am not sure why we are having this argument in the first place.
    Try my Foundry: Claiming the Halfling Quarter NW-DIRT5MWZH
    Sequel: The Return to Sloping Street NW-DACVPHGHW
    Part 3: The Merchant's Tower NW-DC3LB6TZ9
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    . . . . . . I do not care about any underlying "rule-set." What I really am hoping for is the the Lore and Timeline of Neverwinter Online will continue to push forward and update along with the PnP Campaign Setting Timeline. If it does not, Neverwinter will be a vision of the past and I'd rather have it stay up-to-date with the official PnP Timeline.

. . . . . On a side note regarding the above post, I have a 30 sided die and I have a 100 sided die. They're not that big. The 100 is about 5 times the size of a 20 sided die. The only drawback to using it is that if there is no bounds on the table, it rolls off very easily.
  • zaodanzaodan Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    boudiccia wrote: »
    There is a reason a d20 is used and not a d100.

They are identical, with the sole exception that a d20 can only roll in sets of "5".
    1=5%
    2=10%
    3=15%
    etc.
    20=100%

whereas a d100 gives all % values from 1-100. As long as 4% is not really different from 5% for your game balance, then using a d20 instead of a d100 simplifies die rolling and eliminates minutia.
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . . . . I do not care about any underlying "rule-set." What I really am hoping for is the the Lore and Timeline of Neverwinter Online will continue to push forward and update along with the PnP Campaign Setting Timeline. If it does not, Neverwinter will be a vision of the past and I'd rather have it stay up-to-date with the official PnP Timeline.

That would be nice, although I believe ending the Spellplague will necessitate some game changes. :)
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• grungebrmpkgrungebrmpk Member, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 201 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    I'm feeling so old here lol! I see people discussing about 3.5e X 4e, I have been playing d&d since the 1st edition, and still thought ad&d will never be replaced in the same level! lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2013
    I started at the tail end of second edition and still prefer that one.

Thing is it seems like most of the people who started with video games such as NWN and DDO seem to think Third Edition is the only edition and like to claim D&D is _____ or _____ requiring a good foot in mouth because first and second edition were vastly different from third edition.

All in all I reference what is pertinent to the discussion. However if I reference what I enjoyed the most it would be second edition. I actually have a love hate relationship with third edition because as fun as it is as far as I am concerned it's the most imbalanced game rule-set ever created.
  • arontimesarontimes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Currently playing in an online PnP campaign with Argent Gish, human fighter 1/mage 1. I plan on having him level up between both classes evenly to see if fighter 10/mage 10 is viable. Currently, the ideal gish build is fighter 2/mage 18; two levels of fighter give a lot of stuff (Action Surge, Fighting Style, Second Wind, ability to use all weapons and armor) and eighteen levels of mage gives you Spell Mastery (one 1st-level and one 2nd-level spells become at-will).
    Member of Grievance.

Taking a break from Neverwinter indefinitely...
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    I'm feeling so old here lol! I see people discussing about 3.5e X 4e, I have been playing d&d since the 1st edition, and still thought ad&d will never be replaced in the same level! lol
    I started at the tail end of second edition and still prefer that one.

Thing is it seems like most of the people who started with video games such as NWN and DDO seem to think Third Edition is the only edition and like to claim D&D is _____ or _____ requiring a good foot in mouth because first and second edition were vastly different from third edition.

All in all I reference what is pertinent to the discussion. However if I reference what I enjoyed the most it would be second edition. I actually have a love hate relationship with third edition because as fun as it is as far as I am concerned it's the most imbalanced game rule-set ever created.
    . . . . . I started back with the "D&D" Hollow World boxed set, over 20 years ago. Been DMing the Forgotten Realms for almost 20 years now also. 2nd edition is my favorite and remains the edition I DM under for the Rule-set (not lore/timeline). However, I still use the glorious Poison Tables from the original "D&D" DM's guide. It's awesome like that!
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    As others have said, to incorporate the new rules (with drastic changes) we are talking about a major base rule changes i.e. the basic game engine. That would be tough to do unless Neverwinters Online II or something.

Also the popularity of 4e is pretty good. You can go by book sales (how many people bought it vs 3.5 etc) I think it is align with many model type games (hero clix etc) people like visual things. Warhammer have shown that on table top style ;)

I started with D&D basic where Elf was a class ;)
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • grungebrmpkgrungebrmpk Member, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 201 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Elf as a class were awesome! lol Don't forget the dwarf as a class too!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Elf as a class were awesome! lol Don't forget the dwarf as a class too!

and halfling!! :)
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
    edited October 2013
    sasheria wrote: »
    As others have said, to incorporate the new rules (with drastic changes) we are talking about a major base rule changes i.e. the basic game engine. That would be tough to do unless Neverwinters Online II or something.

Also the popularity of 4e is pretty good. You can go by book sales (how many people bought it vs 3.5 etc) I think it is align with many model type games (hero clix etc) people like visual things. Warhammer have shown that on table top style ;)

I started with D&D basic where Elf was a class ;)
    . . . . . . Nah, there would be no need for any Rule-set change to keep the game up-to-date with lore and the timeline. I still use 2nd edition rules in my Campaign and it has not affected the Lore or Timeline of the 3rd and 4th edition books. Rule-sets are interchangeable in D&D, there's no reason one has to use a specific Rule-set to keep their Campaign in-line with the Timeline of the official publications. It falls to the DM to decide what rules to use.

. . . . . Just because the editions of books sell, doesn't mean the rule-set is used. I own several 3rd and 4th edition books but only use them for the Lore and History, not their rules. Most of my library remains 1st and 2nd editions however but I shall continue to buy later editions just for the updated history, lore, and timeline. D&D Next however... I might finally upgrade my Rule-set when this is officially released for I am loving what I am seeing in the playtests.
  • naruonnaruon Member Posts: 37
    edited October 2013

I started with DDO and its my main game but i do play Neverwinter as well... for me its more the fact that DDO feels much more like D&D to me than Neverwinter does, they have tried to stay true to D&D as much as they could where Neverwinter has not.
  • bracer2bracer2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 566 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    sominator wrote: »
    From what I've seen, D&D Next rules are shaping up to be pretty sweet. :)

As an aside, Neverwinter is actually inspired by several different rulesets - including 4th Edition. That's one thing I love about it!

Same as ive heard, very excited about the new D&D rules sets, it seems common knowledge at this point that 4e is by far the most dumbed down version to be released in years. Largely due to the fact that is was designed for video gaming not D&D.

"inspired by several different rules sets" agreed, none of them D&D though. Not even the dumbed down 4e. I have 4e sourcebooks. Nothing matches, except in name only. There are far more similarities to world of warcraft and diablo 3.

No way D&D rules would ever be implemented in this game. Its not D&D, not even a little bit. Our best hope is the next D&D video game. Many long time fans are disappointed with the lack of D&D fundamentals this game offers and are simply bidding our time for a newer D&D game that has base fundamentals, such as AC hit or miss, hundreds of spells, character diversity, D20 system, and DM intervention.