test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

coalescent wards; what is the drop % probability?

krisst0fkrisst0f Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Ok,

Once again, Cryptic is standing to its name by being CRYPTIC...

In the past, I used to get about 20% of coalescent wards when opening the coffers of augmentation... then a few months back, I barely got any at all... So in the last 3 weeks, I have been stacking them. I ended up with 15 and I opened them up over a minute span.

Result: ZERO!!!! Really? ZERO?? What kind of hidden Bull**** is that? When I say 15, it is really over a 2 months span 1 out of 40...

That's another example of the devs/producers using the game as their playground, and changing critical things without letting players know.

Same thing with enchants that don't include description, OR WORK AT ALL... (Tranquil enchant anyone?))

Stop taking everyone for dummies and be transparent for once!!!

so let's try again... WHAT IS THE RATE/PROBABILITY OF COALESCENT WARD TO DROPS? to me it is definitely <5%...

:mad:
Post edited by krisst0f on

Comments

• Options
    yyrkoonstyphoonyyrkoonstyphoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    less than it used to be, or so it seems. Been weeks since i have had one drop for me in my weekly chest.
  • Options
    cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    lol I just got one yesterday, I average 1-2 a week now that I have 7 characters. Was averaging 1 a week with 5 characters for a long time.
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
  • Options
    lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Here's a question: Why should they let you know what percentage they have on a 'random' drop? Is it crucial to enjoying the game to know the math and formula of each equation, or is it more to benefit players who are trying to find the best way to exploit the system?

Not saying your a hacker or anything. But I'd bet your trying to make the judgement call of either selling the box, or not, and want a proof to decide whether it is more financially profitable for you to open the box yourself or put it on the Auction House. I get that.

But to me, it kinda defeats the whole point of the chest. You're not supposed to know what you'll get.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    krisst0f wrote: »
    Ok,

In the past, I used to get about 20% of coalescent wards when opening the coffers of augmentation... then a few months back, I barely got any at all... So in the last 3 weeks, I have been stacking them. I ended up with 15 and I opened them up over a minute span.

Result: ZERO!!!! Really? ZERO?? What kind of hidden Bull**** is that? When I say 15, it is really over a 2 months span 1 out of 40...

That's another example of the devs/producers using the game as their playground, and changing critical things without letting players know.

Same thing with enchants that don't include description, OR WORK AT ALL... (Tranquil enchant anyone?))

so let's try again... WHAT IS THE RATE/PROBABILITY OF COALESCENT WARD TO DROPS? to me it is definitely <5%...

Well cryptic used to put the best items of grab bags at a 1% chance. Lockboxes, aswell. Not sure if NW has the same rates as CO. But it feels like it, since they tested the lockboxes for NW on CO/STO.

1-5% seems about right, but it feels more like 5% to me. Mounts from lockboxes have a flat 1% drop chance, people tested this on CO and it was confirmed by formulas. No clue about enchantments or companions, though. Not sure if they are even using the same formulas, but i am quite sure they are since cryptic loves to recycle old things.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Well cryptic used to put the best items of grab bags at a 1% chance. Lockboxes, aswell. Not sure if NW has the same rates as CO. But it feels like it, since they tested the lockboxes for NW on CO/STO.

1-5% seems about right, but it feels more like 1% to me.

even if it were 5% that means I'm the luckiest person in the world to be averaging 20%+ since beginning of open beta...

It's ~20% chance.
  • Options
    gek1956gek1956 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Best I can tell it's about 15% maybe less. This is compiled over the last month or two. Drops can be very streaky in this game. Next time you have 15 open one a day till you get a hit, then try opening all that are left at once. I'll go 2 weeks with nothing then get several in just a few days.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    A here I was happy, that I got 3 out of 4 just the other day.

Cryptics RNG tends to be streaky. In CO id often get several rare drops nearly sequentially. And then have long steaks of nothing. If you are on a bad roll. Its best to stop and try later. Conversely if you are doing well its best to keep the streak going.
  • Options
    krisst0fkrisst0f Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    cribstaxxx wrote: »
    even if it were 5% that means I'm the luckiest person in the world to be averaging 20%+ since beginning of open beta...

It's ~20% chance.

You gotta explain the maths there... a 20% means 1 out of 5... The probability is 0.2... The more you try, the closer you should tend to that limit... Now technically, you "could" open 1,000,000 and not get any at all, but in the real world, it is impossible.

The only thing I can imagine is that the devs skewed "randomness" to not be random, like a probability that changes based on frequency of drops on that day...... hence they should just say it (without exactly telling how so there is no exploit), but they should not claim it is x% chance, which implies randomness, if it is not...

Am I missing something?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    A here I was happy, that I got 3 out of 4 just the other day.

Cryptics RNG tends to be streaky. In CO id often get several rare drops nearly sequentially. And then have long steaks of nothing. If you are on a bad roll. Its best to stop and try later. Conversely if you are doing well its best to keep the streak going.

Yeah, this happened to me with the Harmon catalyst grab bag. I had gotten 3 HC in a row, then nothing for ages...

• Options
    edited October 2013
    You gotta explain the maths there... a 20% means 1 out of 5... The probability is 0.2... The more you try, the closer you should tend to that limit... Now technically, you "could" open 1,000,000 and not get any at all, but in the real world, it is impossible.

The only thing I can imagine is that the devs skewed "randomness" to not be random, like a probability that changes based on frequency of drops on that day...... hence they should just say it (without exactly telling how so there is no exploit), but they should not claim it is x% chance, which implies randomness, if it is not...

Am I missing something?

Can't we just log onto the PTS and open 1000 boxes? That's what people did over at CO to determine the percentages. No clue if the NW PTS features free zen/celestial coins, etc.

• Options
    misssmooziemisssmoozie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013

Am I missing something?
    Think the dev's are to lazy for that, think it's just their crappy RNG <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> with you..
    Things I've noticed about their RNG: It's consistent, if you succeed a 20% fusing, the next try will succeed as well, maybe even a third time, just to have it fail the next 40.
    If you get a Armor drop in DD, you'll most likely get another one next run that day. If not, tough luck, but you could call it a day and come back tomorrow..
    Basically, their RNG gives extremely consistent results, if you're not getting blue wards frequently, tough luck, you're one of the not so blessed ones.
    Wizard.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Am I missing something?

I've opened over 100 for sure, I've had 5 characters since almost the beginning of open beta and have opened my box on all of them every week. RNG is RNG, I opened 60 or so lockboxes in open beta and got pretty much nothing. Opened 20 dark forest boxes and got a bunch of great assets and an owlbear on my 20th box.

I know ~120 sample size isn't huge but it's more than most, and out of my sample size I've seen an average of ~20%. most weeks one, rarely 0 or 2.
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I only have 3 characters, but my drop rate since the beginning is something like 1-in-5.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yeah, this happened to me with the Harmon catalyst grab bag. I had gotten 3 HC in a row, then nothing for ages...

My best day was getting 3 Vibora Bay werewolf feet. Right in a row from 3 sequential sets of mobs. (back when they were selling for 2000g each) only to have it happen again the very next day. There are few words that can properly describe how stupidly giddy I was after that.

The down side of that was afterwards I didnt see another VB costume drop for nearly a month.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    My best day was getting 3 Vibora Bay werewolf feet. Right in a row from 3 sequential sets of mobs. (back when they were selling for 2000g each) only to have it happen again the very next day. There are few words that can properly describe how stupidly giddy I was after that.

The down side of that was afterwards I didnt see another VB costume drop for nearly a month.

I had a very similar incident, but with new shadow blood blades. The rng is crazy.
    But i also had to kill over 1200 mobs to get a voodoo scythe drop x.x

• Options
    sapientcrowsapientcrow Member Posts: 57
    edited October 2013
    the RNG will follow the metrics that increases activity in the game and has people hungering for items. It is perpetual design of scarcity.
  • Options
    lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    " Is it crucial to enjoying the game to know the math and formula of each equation, or is it more to benefit players who are trying to find the best way to exploit the system?"

YES to both questions... If I play a game like this, it is to try and understand the mechanics of it. When you invest in keys to open lockboxes for example, the least is to know approximately what your chances are...

Calling "exploiting" anything that makes you play better, such as trying to understand how stats work, better is moronic at best...

I suggest you keep playing Pong, it is clear that nobody is "exploiting" that game...

Wow. Defensive, aren't you?

I think my use of the word 'exploit' was appropriate. In video game land it's become synonymous with 'cheating'. But I was actually using it by it's older definition, of using something to it's best potential gain.

Yes. You are exploiting if you use the tools at your disposal for every possible advantage.

To the point at hand, I'm not a min-maxer. I understand how stats work, but I don't go out of my way to make sure I have every skill outside of diminished returns.

I'm the kind of guy who hates playing poker with the card counter. Sure, the guy counting cards is doing everything he can to win. But it just takes away the flavor of the game, in my eyes. Same with knowing exactly what my odds are for everything. Just ruins it for me, personally.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • Options
    gek1956gek1956 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ok,

Actually back while their only game was COH, some of Cryptic's metrics were pretty much an open book. Even in CO at the beginning their was much discussion and give and take with the devs over drop rates, experience paths etc. Particularly in beta. Once they moved into F2P and Perfect World entered the picture, it's been pretty much a blank wall. The only light I see at the end of the tunnel is that at some point they are going to have to post lockbox numbers since buying keys is pretty much a lottery like transaction.

Part of the problem is the lack of trust that arises due to the general unresponsiveness of the devs and GMs. Maybe the game is just understaffed. This makes it easier to be profitable, but overworked people are more mistake prone and simply don't have time to give players the TLC we have see in past titles. I can remember waits of less than 30 minutes in COH to rescue stuck missions, usually when either spawn or knockback put a key mob out of play. They would find it and fix the mission in real time, and we would go ahead and finish. There were bugs then too but not in the locust like numbers we get here.

The forum moderators are nice guys but in most respects they are powerless in game. Having someone to blow off steam with helps but its no substitute for true customer service.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    gek1956 wrote: »
    Part of the problem is the lack of trust that arises due to the general unresponsiveness of the devs and GMs. Maybe the game is just understaffed.

I think you are unto something here... I feel exactly the same.

Look, I still think this is a GREAT game overall, but little by little, and consistent "small" frustrations add up, and aggravate players like me who spent a lot of time, and "some" $$ (that was before the "nightmare thursday" tho) trying to get better at it. Maybe I reached the rate of diminishing returns already...

It is not too late and I am hopeful they will communicate more about how some obscure mechanics work and stop nerfing classes without telling anyone... It would definitely help if they could also fix what should have worked for months and is still broken tho (tranquil, elven enchants, GF block bug,... ) but I divert here...
  • Options
    misssmooziemisssmoozie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    It is not too late and I am hopeful they will communicate more about how some obscure mechanics work and stop nerfing classes without telling anyone... It would definitely help if they could also fix what should have worked for months and is still broken tho (tranquil, elven enchants, GF block bug,... ) but I divert here...
    Let's not forget ArP on DC's (and possibly some CW powers (haven't tested this properly tho)), the MC [Insert one of the numerous exploits], the CN [Insert random exploit here too], the dungeon balancing, and so on..
    Understaffed would explain a lot.. And, on the topic of drops, they need to fix the RNG.. The [Insert class here] day's in CN, or Fragment day's in MC, or [insert class name] days in [Insert dungeon name] are just silly..
    Standard day in CN for me: 2 or 6 mainhands for [class_1], 2 or 6 offhands for[class_1], 2 main/offhands for [class_2], 1 random main/offhand for another class.
    This shows how broken the RNG is.. 8 of 11 drops would be for the same class, and 6 would be the same.. (Yes, this is actual data from running CN..)
    Or when you run GG, and gets kicked after the 4th run on your DC, since the boss had dropped DC stuff 4 times in 4 runs..
    These things actually happen, and either, chance is playing with us all, or their RNG needs a rework..
    Wizard.jpg
  • Options
    bowdidlybowdidly Member Posts: 261 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Even though nothing as been officialy stated in patches or anywere else, like they did with the enchant drop rates from Skill nodes. there as deffinatly been a major nerf to Coal ward drops from the coffers.

Out of 7 characters opening coffers every week since open beta i always recieved at least 1 coal ward per week, but usualy 2, some rare times 3, and if no ward there was usualy 2 enchants and a preservation ward,

But since just before the release of Feywild i have had 1 and in the last 3 weeks out of a total of 21 coffers opened i have never had any at all.

It does seem slowly but surely anything and everything that used to reward somthing worthwile sinking time into is becoming more and more not worth the time input anymore, has as happened to most professions, most hade fairly decent rewards for the huge time sinks and costs of pruchasing high rank asepts, but now most are not worth the time to do many have next to no rewards to justify the tiem and costs input to put into them
  • Options
    griffin230griffin230 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 88
    edited October 2013
    Feels like an extremely low drop rate for me. Something like 5%.
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    bowdidly wrote: »
    Even though nothing as been officialy stated in patches or anywere else, like they did with the enchant drop rates from Skill nodes. there as deffinatly been a major nerf to Coal ward drops from the coffers.

Out of 7 characters opening coffers every week since open beta i always recieved at least 1 coal ward per wek, but usualy 2, some rare times 3, and if no ward there was usualy 2 enchants and a preservation ward,

But since just before the release of Feywild i have had 1 and in the last 3 weeks out of a total of 21 coffers opened i have never had any at all.

Random is random. There were times I wondered if they had changed it. But now I think its just crazy random. Last week I finally got most of my invoking characters to hit 7 days at once. I got 10 Coal Wards out of 29 characters. This week it'll be 31 characters at once. I expect it to be less (obviously), but it will be interesting to see by how much.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Lockboxes are not akin to a lottery. In a lottery you have a good chance of getting nothing for each ticket you buy. With lockboxes, you always get something with each purchase, and as such a guaranteed a reward for every key. It may not be what you want, especially if you are shooting for a rare item, but you are always given something. As such, your win rate is 100%, so lockboxes really aren't games of chance, and likely won't fall under regulations for those.

The company didn't just start up yesterday. Before they started offering lockboxes they would have checked on the regulations for doing so. Since they don't post odds that's a pretty clear indication they don't have to.
  • Options
    bowdidlybowdidly Member Posts: 261 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    runebane wrote: »
    Random is random. There were times I wondered if they had changed it. But now I think its just crazy random. Last week I finally got most of my invoking characters to hit 7 days at once. I got 10 Coal Wards out of 29 characters. This week it'll be 31 characters at once. I expect it to be less (obviously), but it will be interesting to see by how much.

Yes a agree 'random' is 'random' but the sheer amount of players posting and comenting in game concerning the noticable lower drop rate of coal wards does lead to a obvious fact the drop rate is lower.

There are too many players whom have personaly noticed a lower drop rate to just put it down to their own 'bad luck'
    If this is the case then in the past month or so a high amount of players have been having a high amount of 'bad luck' in the most things in the game..LOL
  • Options
    jarlsburgjarlsburg Member Posts: 222 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    bowdidly wrote: »
    Yes a agree 'random' is 'random' but the sheer amount of players posting and comenting in game concerning the noticable lower drop rate of coal wards does lead to a obvious fact the drop rate is lower.

There are too many players whom have personaly noticed a lower drop rate to just put it down to their own 'bad luck'
    If this is the case then in the past month or so a high amount of players have been having a high amount of 'bad luck' in the most things in the game..LOL

Honestly I don't think they messed with the drop rate at all and many of these players are just victims of the RNG. I have 10 toons that are on the same 7 day rotation and last week I got 4 Coal Wards from 9 boxes (one toon got a party popper instead of a chest somehow) and this week I got 3 out of 10.
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    About 1 in 10 estimated from the following data...
    - i have 5 characters that pray daily
    - they have been getting the ward pack once a week each since open beta
    - I get 1 blue ward on the average per 2 weeks
    therefore on the average over that timeframe is 1 in 10 *however* it may be that the rate was recently "adjusted".
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited October 2013

I am inclined to agree. If I fail a couple of rank 3 or rank 4 fuses in a row, I can be confident enough that I'll continue failing enough of them that I should stop. If I try later and get a bunch of successes, I know I should keep going until I run out of things to fuse. (I also only fuse anything higher than 1s or 2s while having a Gambler's Fortune buff up, unless it's a total inventory emergency.)

This is why people who scream in zone chat about how many fusions they have failed in a row are dumb. Stop doing that and come back to it later, you ninnies.

I got 3 coalescent wards out of last week's coffers (9 characters). This week, I haven't gotten any so far, though a couple remain unopened (awaiting buff again).

If you save all your coffers and open them in a big rush, you might hit a bad streak or a good one. I'm not noticing it making much of a difference if I open each character's box individually or consolidate them onto one before opening, other than consolidation saving space.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I've been on a pretty bad coffer streak recently. Haven't gotten a coal ward since Feywild lanuched. 5 alts. 35 coffers. 35 green wards. Yay me!

I feel that pre Feywild, the chance of getting a coal ward was about 1/8 or 1/10, but I am aware that a sample size of 35 isn't big enough to actually say the drop rate was changed. It merely feels that way to me specifically.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    lobo0084 wrote: »
    Wow. Defensive, aren't you?

I think my use of the word 'exploit' was appropriate. In video game land it's become synonymous with 'cheating'. But I was actually using it by it's older definition, of using something to it's best potential gain.

Yes. You are exploiting if you use the tools at your disposal for every possible advantage.

To the point at hand, I'm not a min-maxer. I understand how stats work, but I don't go out of my way to make sure I have every skill outside of diminished returns.

I'm the kind of guy who hates playing poker with the card counter. Sure, the guy counting cards is doing everything he can to win. But it just takes away the flavor of the game, in my eyes. Same with knowing exactly what my odds are for everything. Just ruins it for me, personally.

+1

word. /10char