test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

All servers being merged to One Shard

124»

Comments

• Options
    stercogburnstercogburn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 214 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Finally.

Glad to see this happening.
    Roo. Cleric. Mad as a bag of badgers, will heal for beer.

Ancient Shadows: Mature. Sensible. Custard.
    Recruitment info at: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?462591-Ancient-Shadows-Become-a-Lion-Tamer-without-learning-Chartered-Accountancy-first!&highlight=ancient+shadows
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    My main is a cute guy, if you're into skinny elves with messy hair.

I, however, am not a cute guy.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    jeepinjeepin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm sure it's been touched on, but I don't know that I am overly excited about this. I wish instead they would divide the servers into regions rather than making one giant mixing bowl. I understand what their intentions are, but I have concerns that: a) I can't walk into Protectors Enclave now at 6:30am EST and not be rubber banded back 10 times before making any headway (not even peak hours), let alone when they triple the server size. b) I don't understand half the people I have been grouped with in pugs. Nothing against them, I am all about cultural diversity, but if they are barking out orders to do something in the instance in a language I don't speak, it's a waste of time. This will be increased 2 fold come merge. c) The amount of gold spamming will be out of control! My ignore list is already over 100 people long... d) Bigger is not always better (I know.. that's not what she said), but I have become familiar with many people on the server through pugs, PvP, etc and I know who is good and who I am wasting my time with. I kind of like the smaller community.

My 2 and a half cents... After taxes...
  • Options
    cloud990plcloud990pl Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Some guys are missing what actually will happen:
    It's not server merge but shard merge meaning that there will be as many servers running as there are now, just one shard for all players out there.
    It just means that we will be able to communicate and play with more players (from other shards).
    Besides they (devs) wouldn't announce this if they weren't close to achieve stable connection for us on one shard
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    jeepin wrote: »
    I'm sure it's been touched on, but I don't know that I am overly excited about this. I wish instead they would divide the servers into regions rather than making one giant mixing bowl. I understand what their intentions are, but I have concerns that: a) I can't walk into Protectors Enclave now at 6:30am EST and not be rubber banded back 10 times before making any headway (not even peak hours), let alone when they triple the server size. b) I don't understand half the people I have been grouped with in pugs. Nothing against them, I am all about cultural diversity, but if they are barking out orders to do something in the instance in a language I don't speak, it's a waste of time. This will be increased 2 fold come merge. c) The amount of gold spamming will be out of control! My ignore list is already over 100 people long... d) Bigger is not always better (I know.. that's not what she said), but I have become familiar with many people on the server through pugs, PvP, etc and I know who is good and who I am wasting my time with. I kind of like the smaller community.

My 2 and a half cents... After taxes...

Shard merge should not make that worse. As others have said, all the shards are already on one set of server hardware already. Besides that is a problem with the number of players in a specific instance.

For whatever reason, the game doesn't distribute players evenly between instances. If you look at the instance list you might have some that are almost full (140+) and others that are at less than 100 players. Its always the ones that have 145 or so players that have the rubberbanding. It doesn't help that they took away the ability to choose which instance you enter on zone in.

Disclaimer: The number of players may not be the 'cause' of the rubberbanding. But it affects the situation somehow that you only ever notice it in an instance that is the near-full.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    endocinendocin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    New technology so maybe better technology too..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Sometimes, when I read some posts in the forums (for NW and other MMO's) I can't help to think "Why are you even playing the game?" You clearly are not having any fun, unless having fun for you means to complain about everything you don't like.
    I have tried a few MMO's I have not liked (Marvel Heroes, Moonlight, PW) And when I realized I wasn't having fun anymore, I just left for other games, I have trouble understanding why would anyone in their right mind keep playing a game they don't enjoy...
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    neskolfneskolf Member Posts: 97
    edited October 2013
    reiwulf wrote: »
    I have trouble understanding why would anyone in their right mind keep playing a game they don't enjoy...

Not saying this is the case, of course. But, perhaps at one point they did enjoy the game and now find that they no longer do because of recent changes or a lack of attention to something they thought should be addressed. As such, maybe they are holding out hope that the game becomes fun again, seeing as they've already made a time and/or monetary investment. Continually crabbing isn't really the route I would take in such a circumstance. But I can see how the evolution of the game and the hope that the fun returns could keep someone around for a while.

As to the topic at hand, I'm looking forward to the merge. There are the potential issus, but I'm willing to see what actually happens before deciding whether it's a good or bad thing.
  • Options
    buffsmadbuffsmad Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think the poster requesting smaller geographical shards is meaning that when they log on in the morning (in their time zone) they don't expect population lag. Obviously because this is because its 'peak game time' somewhere else in the world and we're just cluttering the place up. :(

The language issue could better be resolved by an improved Queue system where groups waiting would show any 'preferred language' because Geographical shards would not solve this, except for US players. I mean, how many languages do you think an EU shard would cover, or Asia or....?

I'm afraid you'll just have to get used to there being a bigger world out there beyond your shores.
  • Options
    dndmasterdarkdndmasterdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm wondering if the lag in the city is gonna be 3 times as bad.
    Don't get me wrong I LOVE this game, absolutely AWESOME imo. But this concerns me.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    endocin wrote: »
    New technology so maybe better technology too..

i agree. so many people are quick to assume that this means problems but, as usual, all they have is personal individual experiences and zero knowledge about the technology that is currently being used as well as what technology will be implemented.
  • Options
    skaldorinskaldorin Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    One shard to rule them all...
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    skaldorin wrote: »
    One shard to rule them all...

Bah, you missed a perfect chance for a Highlander reference. :p
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Is this scheduled for next week? I hope it won't bring many problems. =P
    I wonder how things will change after it.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    reiwulf wrote: »
    Is this scheduled for next week? I hope it won't bring many problems. =P
    I wonder how things will change after it.

Oct 8, 8PM PST.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    neskolfneskolf Member Posts: 97
    edited October 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Bah, you missed a perfect chance for a Highlander reference. :p

There can only be one (shard)?
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    I am immortal, I have inside me blood of kings.

Oh wrong highlander reference.
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I am immortal, I have inside me blood of kings.

Oh wrong highlander reference.

I have that song, you know.....
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    I'm wondering if the lag in the city is gonna be 3 times as bad.
    Don't get me wrong I LOVE this game, absolutely AWESOME imo. But this concerns me.
    /facepalm This has been covered a dozen times already in this thread, please read the thread before posting in it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    fusedmassfusedmass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Oct 8, is the release date for this. Do people think prices on the AH, will drop as a result of this or increase. I think they will drop, because more people farming. Even with a much higher population will lead to more of the same items. I'm just really curious though.

How are they able to fit 2 million people on one shard.
  • Options
    cloud990plcloud990pl Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    fusedmass wrote: »
    Oct 8, is the release date for this. Do people think prices on the AH, will drop as a result of this or increase. I think they will drop, because more people farming. Even with a much higher population will lead to more of the same items. I'm just really curious though.

How are they able to fit 2 million people on one shard.

Prices will drop because as you said there will be more items but not mainly because of that. There are some people that want to sell their stuff soo much that they will sell same item worth, lets say, 400k for 380k then few people will put their items for ~380k and another person will came and put same item for 350k, etc.

BTW there aren't 2 million players online (more like 500-700) so not much will change and how merging will look was already covered few times.
  • Options
    buffsmadbuffsmad Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Well, they can use the same resources they have atm which currently delivers 3 shards to do one.

The only thing I'm a bit wary about is the intial transition from 3 to 1. I'm not aware of any magic switch with suddenly updates all the servers, repopulates etc etc in a short space of time. So there might be a laggy period of a few days as they bring new configured resource online.

My main concern about lag continues to be intance loading in PE. If thats not improved by new configuration then I'd probably like to see a workaround where you get a 'Choose Instance Option' enabled by default on entering PE only. I'd rather have a few secs delay on entry than the few mins it takes to change once in.

Edit: no idea about prices although I do intend to take a closer look at the respective AHs and Trade chat.....sometime. Any change will be minimal unless some things are remarkably different across shards. (eg Ancient weapons as someone mentioned before, which might increase for some but fall for others.)
  • Options
    dndmasterdarkdndmasterdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm concerned about the lag, will it be 3 times as bad?
    If there is an issue me being concerned about this, just let me know...I'll kindly go somewhere else.
    /facepalm
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    The lag will not be 3 times as bad. It will be the same as now. No better, no worse. What you will see is more instances of each zone. Some lag issues are created by the number of people in a particular shard, but not by the number of people on the server.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    fusedmassfusedmass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Everyone keeps saying their is lag. Honestly I run on a SSD. There is virtually no lag at all on my end. Perhaps other people are getting it. I don't know why. Maybe I'm not on when their is lag. Though I been looking to buy timeless gear off the AH for some time now. The problem is, they list it at 2 million per item.

It used to be around 330k diamonds at most. I don't know about anyone else. That is much to expensive for me. Hopefully to combine these servers and one AH. More people listing the items. Will drop down the prices. As long as the price gougers don't buy the items at low price and resell them for higher.