test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why is moon elves the only good-looking elves?

zalcszalcs Banned Users Posts: 345 Bounty Hunter
edited September 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I really don't get why you can't just change wood elves and sun elves to look the same. Their character models are really terrible, especially wood elf. No matter what you do to them they look like they're about to eat babies. Heck, humans could do with an improvement too, their mouth looks really weird.
Post edited by zalcs on

Comments

• mrgiggles55mrgiggles55 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Moon elves are a pay race. It's entirely coincidental.
  • imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    My Half elf looks like some kind of alien creature ,it's eyes are so strange and its face has a odd shape lmao
  • zalcszalcs Banned Users Posts: 345 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    imsmithy wrote: »
    My Half elf looks like some kind of alien creature ,it's eyes are so strange and its face has a odd shape lmao

Lmao, i don't doubt it!
  • baleriondrogonbaleriondrogon Member, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 53
    edited September 2013
    Female Orcs are soooo ___!
    " I don't know half of you as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you as well as you deserve." -J.R.R. Tolkien
    hzcMHai.gif0SwPbeK.gif
  • esteenaesteena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    They look fine to me.

My cleric is a half elf, she looks pretty. Matter of tastes..not worth making a whole thread for.

larx.png
  • rhoriangelusrhoriangelus Member Posts: 703 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Drow look like moon elves, just darker. They do have a subtle face structure difference from sun and wood elves, but I don't think sun and wood elves look ugly per se.

The problem with their looks (half-elf males in particular) the mouth is set much too low. Putting it up the highest position possible helps a bit, they really need to extend the slider so you can put it up even a little higher.
  • maisaanmaisaan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 166
    edited September 2013
    Which race that is the most pretty is a matter of taste. I do prefer my half elves to my moon-and wood elves
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    maisaan wrote: »
    Which race that is the most pretty is a matter of taste. I do prefer my half elves to my moon-and wood elves

Great criminy! What happened to her neck? Its all long, misshapen and noodely. Id thrash the lunk, what done it to her!
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    All elves have sharper features than humans, and the sharpness unfortunately can be exaggerated very easily to make them look creepy instead of just not-quite-human. It's easier to make a good-looking half-elf since they have some human roundness to balance the elven sharpness, but they can still turn out looking weird. As for males, it's just hard to make a good-looking man in general in this game.

My half-elf DC came out okay, I think (right-click -> View Image for better resolution):

Ozb9mnG.jpg
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • magnumstarmagnumstar Member Posts: 226 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Because this game lacks the character customization tools other Cryptic titles enjoy that allow you to make an Elf that you would like.
  • echokazulechokazul Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Um, all the elves have the same model. The only difference is skin, hair, and eye colors. Even the $200 drow is the same base model. See?

female_zps6f6c1143.png

This is all four of them, same face type, hair style, and all the sliders in the middle. I have one comparing the drow and wood elf male, don't have the two new ones on it yet, though.

I do agree, though. I don't like how sharp the male elves are especially. I want a happy go lucky character, and yet no matter what I do, he always looks so constipated.
    Kyba Fell- Tiefling GF (Main)
    RainFeather- Dragonborn DC
    Rune Fell- Drow CW
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Human males look stern at best (murderous at worst), too, and they all look middle-aged. I tried to make a 19-year-old happy-go-lucky human TR and the best I could manage was a 30-year-old shifty-looking TR. At least he doesn't look constipated, I guess? His personality is supposed to be literal Trickster Rogue, not Malevolent Assassin.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
    edited September 2013
    Every time I try to make a male elf, I'm always reminded of that evil Thalmor agent from the College quests in Skyrim. The same, bird-like face.
    Rune Fell- Drow CW
    edited September 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Great criminy! What happened to her neck? Its all long, misshapen and noodely. Id thrash the lunk, what done it to her!

Hahahahah !
    edited September 2013
    echokazul wrote: »
    Um, all the elves have the same model. The only difference is skin, hair, and eye colors. Even the $200 drow is the same base model. See?

female_zps6f6c1143.png

This is all four of them, same face type, hair style, and all the sliders in the middle. I have one comparing the drow and wood elf male, don't have the two new ones on it yet, though.

I do agree, though. I don't like how sharp the male elves are especially. I want a happy go lucky character, and yet no matter what I do, he always looks so constipated.

Do the same with males and you'll see a huge difference.
    edited September 2013
    Not really, no.

male_zpsb93a9bdf.png

There's some minor variations, but that's only because the characters like to shift and look around during creation, so it's hard to get the exact same expression.

Also forgot for the females, the two new ones, I made their necks a little longer, which, in hindsight, I probably shouldn't have. Thought it showed off their faces better, but since I hid the armor anyways, it didn't make a difference.
    Rune Fell- Drow CW
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    My male wood elf is super-pretty.

I have two human male characters that I think are quite handsome as well, but I will say that the default male facial expressions are really grim, and that frowniness is a bit hard to work around.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    all of my toonz are hotties. that's what the customization tools are for. doh!
    edited September 2013
    Not really, no.

male_zpsb93a9bdf.png

There's some minor variations, but that's only because the characters like to shift and look around during creation, so it's hard to get the exact same expression.

Also forgot for the females, the two new ones, I made their necks a little longer, which, in hindsight, I probably shouldn't have. Thought it showed off their faces better, but since I hid the armor anyways, it didn't make a difference.

Moon elf npcs in sharrandar look way different, guess they're either more customizable or they only look like that in sharrandar... There are very noticeable differences with male drow vs wood elf though (was a pay race, so obviously...) I know because I've tried both. Guessing it's something similar with moon elf.
    edited September 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    all of my toonz are hotties. that's what the customization tools are for. doh!

You can't say with a straight face that the customization in this game is good, or even decent >.>

Basically, take the normal face or pick one of these other faces, sorry, face shapes and look like an alien.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    At least for males, you can make handsome humans, and maybe elves (their eyes still look a bit too feline or alien like to my tastes, but it's not completely disgusting either) But male half elves look horrible, their mouth is waaaay too low, even on the highest setting possible setting. I wish they could fix that, in the foundry costume editor, the sliders have much more range.
    I used to think the customization in here was horrible, (coming from Tera and all) but it's not SO bad, at least you have SOME options to make good looking toons, I recently tried RIFT and I couldn't for my life make a good looking male, they all were horrible.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
    edited September 2013
    @zalcs

NPCs are far more customizable. Even in the Foundry, you can make some pretty unique guys.

And I don't see much difference between the drow and the wood elf. The one in my screenshot is the paid one, not the free one, btw. He looks a little bit angrier, but that's just because his brow was down a little when I took the screenie. Like I said, they like to shift around and move quite a bit during creation, so it's hard to get the exact same position. You can get different looks with the sliders, but if you chose the same facial structure, hairstyle, eyebrows, complexion, and move the sliders to the same positions, the only difference between them is the coloring.
    Rune Fell- Drow CW
    edited September 2013
    @zalcs

NPCs are far more customizable. Even in the Foundry, you can make some pretty unique guys.

And I don't see much difference between the drow and the wood elf. The one in my screenshot is the paid one, not the free one, btw. He looks a little bit angrier, but that's just because his brow was down a little when I took the screenie. Like I said, they like to shift around and move quite a bit during creation, so it's hard to get the exact same position. You can get different looks with the sliders, but if you chose the same facial structure, hairstyle, eyebrows, complexion, and move the sliders to the same positions, the only difference between them is the coloring.

Meh, i suppose you're right.. i was quite inexperienced with the sliders when i made my wood elf, i remember lol

Half elf is hands down hideous though :p
    edited September 2013
    zalcs wrote: »
    You can't say with a straight face that the customization in this game is good, or even decent >.>

Basically, take the normal face or pick one of these other faces, sorry, face shapes and look like an alien.

actually i can. take such a huge game like D3 and all characters look the same except for the gear they're wearing. how's that for customization?
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    zalcs wrote: »
    Half elf is hands down hideous though :p

Males only or both male and female?

My female half-elf looks like Liv Tyler as Arwen, pretty much by accident. I only realized that was what I'd created after I'd been playing her a while.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    edited September 2013
    Males only or both male and female?

My female half-elf looks like Liv Tyler as Arwen, pretty much by accident. I only realized that was what I'd created after I'd been playing her a while.

male i suppose
    edited September 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    actually i can. take such a huge game like D3 and all characters look the same except for the gear they're wearing. how's that for customization?

That's pretty much the case for this game too tbh, although not as bad as D3. Your opinion though
  • aarrgg554aarrgg554 Member Posts: 51
    edited September 2013
    They look exactly the same except for skin tone. They are sort of like a bit o light skin smurf palette.
    edited September 2013
    aarrgg554 wrote: »
    They look exactly the same except for skin tone. They are sort of like a bit o light skin smurf palette.

are we even playing the same game?