What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Has the population decreased a lot?

Comments

• Options
    ravenlock99ravenlock99 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I will play again a lot when a new class is released.
  • Options
    lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    I will play again a lot when a new class is released.

Really why is that? You will play a broken new class and then get angry when it gets nerfed.
  • Options
    firetallyfiretally Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Mindflayer population is definitely decreasing. I am seeing less and less LFG even for DD, but that maybe cause of the awful BoP.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    firetally wrote: »
    Mindflayer population is definitely decreasing. I am seeing less and less LFG even for DD, but that maybe cause of the awful BoP.

i know its partly to do with that. I really dont know what the devs had on the brain when they came up with this great idea.
  • Options
    vheeshanevheeshane Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    each class should have at least 4 paragon paths, even if they had 3, can you even imagine how long that would take?
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    there is zero way to gauge "population" considering you have three different shards and there are people all over the world that play. even if you're in a guild and you rarely see anyone on, that is no indication that the overall population is dwindling. it just means your guildmates are off doing something else at that moment.

now i have kicked ppl from my guild for being inactive for over 60 days. but that hasn't been a lot. maybe ten over the last month. as many people there are that stop playing this game, there is always someone new starting from scratch. while this game may be old to many of you that fumble through these forums looking for a new place to vent your frustrations, there are many others that haven't even heard of it yet.

i'm an "old" player that is starting two new characters and i'm not discouraged at all at the changes or how i'm going to have to gear up. it's just different than the way it used to be. too many feels about pointless things is not good for mental health.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    vheeshane wrote: »
    each class should have at least 4 paragon paths, even if they had 3, can you even imagine how long that would take?

My point is why even have it mentioned when you get to that level whats the point. It makes people think they are missing something. And they are an option to pick a paragon path. Its just stupid marketing like that. Its like if you bought a car and they said at the piont of the sale " And now you get to pick the color of your new car from are cool new line of colors. You want white cause it the only color we have now. But in the future when we get around to getting more colors you can pay us some money and we will paint it that color"

LOL i so funny
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    there is zero way to gauge "population"

Yes there is its called metrics. But we will never see them. Plus you can judge a games population roughly from how many are on at a time. A mmo should see at least 10% of its playing player base population on at each day. There is in no way possible 200k people are playing on 3 shards at one time.
  • Options
    mbllanes199mbllanes199 Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 429
    edited September 2013
    I'm only logging on to the game to do the Daily Quest Sharandar and MidSummer which i can finish in less than 1 hr. Just trying to make my initial investment worth, then play some other online games... lol.
  • Options
    chocobofarmerchocobofarmer Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    depopulation haiku

cryptic has to learn
    when dungeons earn no diamonds
    everybody leaves
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    pandapaul wrote: »
    I think the state of the forum is a good guide to how things in the game are going too..
    The barracks section has maybe 10 people that reply..

General section used to have 300-400 people browsing constantly a month or so ago.. Now it's around 80-110

I take that as an indication maybe 70% of the player base has no left.. Which is what it looks like in the game..

you can think what you like but you have nothing but scraps of data that absolutely do not support your claims. and i would think that if you are going to judge the success/failure of a game based on their forums, then neverwinter must be doing pretty damned good considering this place is reminiscent of blizzard forums.

good going pwe. well done! XD
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Yes there is its called metrics. But we will never see them. Plus you can judge a games population roughly from how many are on at a time. A mmo should see at least 10% of its playing player base population on at each day. There is in no way possible 200k people are playing on 3 shards at one time.

thanks for expounding on that for me, but it's essentially what i meant. there is zero way for us, the player-base, to gauge the "population". and really, if the failure of this game is so important to you, your crusade towards making it happen through these forums or anywhere else is about as useful as the war on drugs. because for every one person you might discourage, there is one and a half more starting to play. and if those people reach level 60 and get bored and move on, so be it. more people will take their place. as long as cryptic/pwe are producing new content and new and exciting ways to entice their player-base, the numbers will fluctuate but i'm sure this is already to be expected.

pwe/cryptic are not worried about the negative content in their forums... even though most of it is downright ridiculous because it's unsubstantiated claims, assumptions and conspiracy theory.

but i guess everyone has to have a hobby.
  • Options
    pandapaulpandapaul Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 424 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    you can think what you like but you have nothing but scraps of data that absolutely do not support your claims. and i would think that if you are going to judge the success/failure of a game based on their forums, then neverwinter must be doing pretty damned good considering this place is reminiscent of blizzard forums.

good going pwe. well done! XD

I was merely staying my observation..

Or maybe it's the fact that 90% of my guild with 115 members have become inactive in the last month.. Or the fact that I have maybe 5 active people left on my friendlist.. Out of the 100 people on there.. Or the fact the forum is so much quieter now... Or the fact the zen/AD exchange market is plummeting.. Or that there are very few purple gears/enchants being added to the AH... Or that the lfg channel rarely has people lfg anymore.....

However you look at it.. There is one trend here.. Most people have left or are doing so.. If you can't see that.. Keep your head in the sand
  • Options
    azithothazithoth Member Posts: 77
    edited September 2013
    pwe/cryptic are not worried about the negative content in their forums...

if that was true the mods wouldn't work so zealously to get rid of it...
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    pandapaul wrote: »
    I was merely staying my observation..

Or maybe it's the fact that 90% of my guild with 115 members have become inactive in the last month.. Or the fact that I have maybe 5 active people left on my friendlist.. Out of the 100 people on there.. Or the fact the forum is so much quieter now... Or the fact the zen/AD exchange market is plummeting.. Or that there are very few purple gears/enchants being added to the AH... Or that the lfg channel rarely has people lfg anymore.....

However you look at it.. There is one trend here.. Most people have left or are doing so.. If you can't see that.. Keep your head in the sand

sure, but all of your information is not necessarily indicative of a trend. it could just be your own personal experience. i personally know one person that took some time off from the game but he's back and playing as he loves the new content. i have some friends that pop on and right back off. our guild has 120+ members and i'd say that we have a good 20-25 active players but part of the reason for that is a lot of our members have alts. i, myself, have 5 total. over the last month, i've kicked maybe 10 inactive guild members for not having even signed in for over 60 days. but we've also added new members.

the forums are quiet? it is 2:28am right now. there are less people reading through here right now than they would be during peak hours. personally, i do not know when that might be or even care that much to research it. i mean, maybe you should make some new in-game friends or join a new guild if the one you're in now is failing.

the last time i looked at zen/ad it was around 340ad. that is pretty normal for the exchange rate. right after feywild went live, the market blew up but it looks like it's back to where it should be.

less people are selling epic items on the AH because that is the magic of Bind on Pickup. less items available to sell on the AH means less items for sale on the AH.

i see just about the same lfg messages from people looking to run DD or GG or the new skirmish.

and your mileage may vary.

BUT... i can approach all of this, the game, the changes, the population with a negative view and it's just going to be a bad experience all around. wouldn't it be better to walk away from a situation like this rather than perpetuate it with more negativity?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    azithoth wrote: »
    if that was true the mods wouldn't work so zealously to get rid of it...

thanks for bringing that up.

this particular forum title is general discussion. and as most forums on the internet, there are rules to go by. in order to be granted permission to use these forums, you must agree and follow those rules. if you do not, then it is the moderator's job to take whatever the action is necessary to make sure that the rules are followed. since this forum is deemed to be part of the proprietary property of pwe/cryptic and since you give up your rights to the content you contribute on their forums, they have every right to moderate it as they see fit.

i've seen threads get killed or edited because people post personal messages between them and pwe customer support. it is pwe's policy that interactions between them and a customer/player are private and it goes both ways. pwe will never post a list of accounts that have been banned or why they were banned. they just require the same courtesy on their forums.

but you know... if you don't like the rules, there's only one thing to do. un-bookmark this page.
  • Options
    gek1956gek1956 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    thanks for bringing that up.

yada yada yada yada

but you know... if you don't like the rules, there's only one thing to do. un-bookmark this page.

So basically if we don't agree with you, or tow the party line here, we should just shut up and sit down?

If that's how your mind works, here's an answer you will understand....

HEE hee hee..... HAA haa haa........... RASPBERRY :P::P::P
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    gek1956 wrote: »
    So basically if we don't agree with you, or tow the party line here, we should just shut up and sit down?

If that's how your mind works, here's an answer you will understand....

HEE hee hee..... HAA haa haa........... RASPBERRY :P::P::P

He's not saying that, he's saying that like in most other public places you obey the rules or something gets done about it. Threads that are purely negative (I.e. this game sucks) with no reasoning for the negativity or suggestions on how to fix it get locked, personal attacks are not allowed, either in insults or physical threats (I can say with confidence that threatening people with physical violence is an instant banning offence).

It may help you to think of the forums as a physical store, calmly discussing what you don't like about it and how to improve it is welcomed by the managers of most stores whether it's between you and an employee or you and another customer. Loudly shouting that this store sucks and that it'll go out of business in the next few months if they don't have the product you want in now however is likely to get you thrown out.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    bluedarky wrote: »
    He's not saying that, he's saying that like in most other public places you obey the rules or something gets done about it. Threads that are purely negative (I.e. this game sucks) with no reasoning for the negativity or suggestions on how to fix it get locked, personal attacks are not allowed, either in insults or physical threats (I can say with confidence that threatening people with physical violence is an instant banning offence).

It may help you to think of the forums as a physical store, calmly discussing what you don't like about it and how to improve it is welcomed by the managers of most stores whether it's between you and an employee or you and another customer. Loudly shouting that this store sucks and that it'll go out of business in the next few months if they don't have the product you want in now however is likely to get you thrown out.

+1 thank you. i might not have been as elegant. :)
  • Options
    zalcszalcs Banned Users Posts: 345 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    What surprises me the most if that they're doing absolutely nothing about it except that insult of an "astral diamond guide". They have effectively killed the game by making it impossible to farm the most important currency ingame, only making it available in non-insulting numbers to those that buy zen. It's quite sad.
  • Options
    traznixtraznix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The game's population is stable I would say, maybe even increasing a bit judging by the attention Neverwinter recieved in the last couple of weeks, from reviews, top 10's, expansion announcements, etc. from gaming websites. In the last 2 weeks I went from lvl 1 to 60, and every zone had players, at any given hour. The population may seem low now, because of the Festival map, and Sharandar map. Have you noticed that Sharandar has about 20 shards, with about 30 - 40 people each ? That's 600 - 800 people, maybe more, only in one region.

Best Regards,
    Yggdrasil
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mbllanes199mbllanes199 Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 429
    edited September 2013
    traznix wrote: »
    The game's population is stable I would say, maybe even increasing a bit judging by the attention Neverwinter recieved in the last couple of weeks, from reviews, top 10's, expansion announcements, etc. from gaming websites. In the last 2 weeks I went from lvl 1 to 60, and every zone had players, at any given hour. The population may seem low now, because of the Festival map, and Sharandar map. Have you noticed that Sharandar has about 20 shards, with about 30 - 40 people each ? That's 600 - 800 people, maybe more, only in one region.

Best Regards,
    Yggdrasil

Blasphemy!!!

Neverwinter has MILLION of players.
  • Options
    gek1956gek1956 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Negative feedback, unfortunately , is sometimes necessary. Believe me, I'd be a lot happier out there playing than in here posting. I have been playing cryptic games for nearly 10 years , way back to COH, and I've seen a LOT of updates and new content. One consistent pattern I have noticed over the years Is that well turned, game building addons come out smoothly and with little or no game errors. The worst ones, where even Emmert himself admits they were flawed, come down like this one, riddled with bugs, poor management choices and exploits (can you say Nightmare Thursday?). I'm sorry you feel that other people's opinions than your own are bad for the game. But a lemon is a lemon, and no one is happy getting sold one. FOFW failed on far more levels than it succeeded and some of us are holding the developers to a higher standard.

Get over it. I'm not gonna quit this game. And I'm not gonna sit down and shut up. Ill continue to make ADs with my crafting toons but im not gonna do any DDs or fork over any RL cash unless the fix this mess and do better next time. MY opinions and my money are my own and I'll do as I see fit with both of them whether you like it or not.
  • Options
    malakaaiusmalakaaius Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    You guys who don't want to pay until you get something in return are just a small bunch, a few smart customers. There are hundreds of others who just pour in cash and don't think if they like the new updates or not. They just use zen to buy the best gear available and then brag around with their 40-50k crits. As long as you have players like that, others will never have a voice. I've seen this many times, especially with browser games. They start great, but end up being nothing but a piggy bank. Although, I have to say that this is the fastest change I've seen... it usually takes a year or two before they start being gold diggers. I've quit this game with my lvl 60 cleric due to not being able to find adequate party for T1. I ended up buying some jewelery with what little AD I had. I thought then T2 would be easier but it was even worse, guess because of BoP... Eventually I made a TR, had fun for a little while, but at lvl 28 I couldn't find PvP, dungeon or skirmish group, and when I found one, they didn't speak English and usually quit before last boss. I guess those 2 mil. players are all playing hide and seek.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Negative feedback, unfortunately , is sometimes necessary. Believe me, I'd be a lot happier out there playing than in here posting. I have been playing cryptic games for nearly 10 years , way back to COH, and I've seen a LOT of updates and new content. One consistent pattern I have noticed over the years Is that well turned, game building addons come out smoothly and with little or no game errors. The worst ones, where even Emmert himself admits they were flawed, come down like this one, riddled with bugs, poor management choices and exploits (can you say Nightmare Thursday?). I'm sorry you feel that other people's opinions than your own are bad for the game. But a lemon is a lemon, and no one is happy getting sold one. FOFW failed on far more levels than it succeeded and some of us are holding the developers to a higher standard.

Get over it. I'm not gonna quit this game. And I'm not gonna sit down and shut up. Ill continue to make ADs with my crafting toons but im not gonna do any DDs or fork over any RL cash unless the fix this mess and do better next time. MY opinions and my money are my own and I'll do as I see fit with both of them whether you like it or not.

i agree, at least partially, that feedback is necessary. you can get the same message across without the "this sucks, i'm not playing anymore, this game is dying" nonsense. there isn't a game in existence that is launched problem free. even through beta runs, it's not possible to catch every possible scenario. if you call this sub-standard then i'd like to know where this perfect world is that you speak of.

Jack Emmert has not made any negative statements to my knowledge about neverwinter, its developers or their decision to go with pwe or to a free to play model. there is a forbes article from may of this year where he talks about the free to play model and they are fully aware of the fluctuations in its player base. there was also a recent video posted in this very forum of an interview with Emmert and they seem to be very happy with the success of neverwinter. if the game is broken and unplayable, what are the thousands of people doing online logged into it?

honestly, there isn't anything wrong with holding a higher standard but there also is the possibility of having unrealistic expectations. and no one is telling anyone to sit down and shut up, we're simply saying that there are rules that we all have to follow.
  • Options
    ankabird1ankabird1 Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Well it is my 1st time and i read some of posts here which is totally true.However; i am gonna write a kind of comic i hope they will not ban me :=)

Main objectives of Neverwinter game and Developers Status

1-Nerf heroes Check

2-Nerf item drops(bosses drop blue unnecessary items from dungeons) Check

3-Do not attend to listen players of community in forum Check
    (of course they are players basic players and kids who spend money on game)
    (Not hardcore gamers,other games beta testers and leads etc etc)

4-Everyweek post a new and <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> item to Zen Market Triple Check!!!!

5-Be fast to fix RNG when new patches updated ;otherwise every ppl in game will get epic with useing key Triple Check
    (Some may know some not.Everybody got horses from opening single nightmare lockbox after patch of feywiled.)

6-While nerfing heroes improve dungeon bosses which will be hard to kill with anymeans. Doublecheck
    (So their opinion is ppl will play that game more than anything)

7-Post useful foundry missions for ppl to play at least 1 hour that game to gain AD. Doublecheck
    (Screw up rewards of foundry missions and make it 4 times for all players lvl 60)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Too often this week I havehad the rule about 'Flaming the Company' thrown at me by some over-zealous game lover trying to stifle criticism. I have had exactly ONE thread I started closed down for that reason. And I almost got that reversed. The truth should never be against the rules. And I'm not preaching doom and gloom here. This is a pretty big thread. Why? because attendance is down. the DD queing system is having trouble putting together teams to suit its requirements as we speak. Many players are not happy.

In that Forbes article, which I also read, Jack said that he had never lost subscriptions from nerfs in COH.. then he qualified that with the statement that people would quit, yeah, but then they'd come right back with the next update. Which was true up to a point, but they never stayed. And new players come and go as usual. You get used to losing malcontent friends in an MMO its just how it works. sooner or later people get tired of playing. But it did cost the game revenue. I'm far more concerned with what the man does than what he says, particularly in a PR setting like that. In the end its always the bottom line, FTP or not.

Count the prize announcements. You know, where the game bleats out that so and so just won a such and such. A month ago at peak times of the day there were 20 to 30 an hour. Considering the drop rate (I don't burn much of my money with them) of top box prizes That's a lot of money. Look at it today, say around 4pm EST (9pm Zulu) They won't ignore that.

Money doesn't talk it ROARS --- Bob Dylan
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    ankabird1 wrote: »
    Well it is my 1st time and i read some of posts here which is totally true.However; i am gonna write a kind of comic i hope they will not ban me :=)

Main objectives of Neverwinter game and Developers Status

1-Nerf heroes Check

2-Nerf item drops(bosses drop blue unnecessary items from dungeons) Check

3-Do not attend to listen players of community in forum Check
    (of course they are players basic players and kids who spend money on game)
    (Not hardcore gamers,other games beta testers and leads etc etc)

4-Everyweek post a new and <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> item to Zen Market Triple Check!!!!

5-Be fast to fix RNG when new patches updated ;otherwise every ppl in game will get epic with useing key Triple Check
    (Some may know some not.Everybody got horses from opening single nightmare lockbox after patch of feywiled.)

6-While nerfing heroes improve dungeon bosses which will be hard to kill with anymeans. Doublecheck
    (So their opinion is ppl will play that game more than anything)

7-Post useful foundry missions for ppl to play at least 1 hour that game to gain AD. Doublecheck
    (Screw up rewards of foundry missions and make it 4 times for all players lvl 60)

HElP, Moderator, arrest this man!!!!! ;)
  • Options
    zalcszalcs Banned Users Posts: 345 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Too often this week I havehad the rule about 'Flaming the Company' thrown at me by some over-zealous game lover trying to stifle criticism. I have had exactly ONE thread I started closed down for that reason. And I almost got that reversed. The truth should never be against the rules. And I'm not preaching doom and gloom here. This is a pretty big thread. Why? because attendance is down. the DD queing system is having trouble putting together teams to suit its requirements as we speak. Many players are not happy.

In that Forbes article, which I also read, Jack said that he had never lost subscriptions from nerfs in COH.. then he qualified that with the statement that people would quit, yeah, but then they'd come right back with the next update. Which was true up to a point, but they never stayed. And new players come and go as usual. You get used to losing malcontent friends in an MMO its just how it works. sooner or later people get tired of playing. But it did cost the game revenue. I'm far more concerned with what the man does than what he says, particularly in a PR setting like that. In the end its always the bottom line, FTP or not.

Count the prize announcements. You know, where the game bleats out that so and so just won a such and such. A month ago at peak times of the day there were 20 to 30 an hour. Considering the drop rate (I don't burn much of my money with them) of top box prizes That's a lot of money. Look at it today, say around 4pm EST (9pm Zulu) They won't ignore that.

Yeah, if someone even mentions p2w or anything of the sort, thread closes and you'll get a threatening priva...I mean nvm, nothing to see here! F-f-forreal!! :(
  • Options
    ameranth342ameranth342 Member Posts: 141 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013

You only see in the forums what THEY want you to see, It does not matter if it is true , factual and does not break there forum rules, if they dont like it, its edited or gone.
    So to make comments like , Cryptic like constructive criticism is total BS and you still only see what they want you to see and only criticism thay want you to see will be visable.
    Also a note to people basing figures off forum trafic please remember this too, most negative posts towards the company or those with factual negative content actually get removed or heavely edited, so basing anything related to the game based on forum content is and will always be biased