test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Has the population decreased a lot?

whoamarkwhoamark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited September 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I'm on the server Beholder and I notice there's only ever 7-8 instances to switch between, each of which only adds up to around 1000 people online at average.

Are there more people on the server or is this just what it shows?

If these are the numbers then I'm really surprised compared to what I remember of them.
Post edited by whoamark on

Comments

• Options
    faiteaccompliifaiteaccomplii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2
    edited September 2013
    A lot of people are in Festival not sure if that is influencing it
  • Options
    koboldbard2koboldbard2 Banned Users Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
  • Options
    bubba1966bubba1966 Member Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    There are always a lot of new players, but the game has a huge problem with retaining level 60s. It had this problem before, but BoP was pretty much the nail in the coffin, as that was the primary avenue to enjoyment for level 60s. I used to run DD 2/3 times a day. Since BoP, I or no one i know runs t2 at all anymore.

What, BoP has done, amongst other things, is filled the game with ungeared level 60s, while many of the geared ones have quit. Hence the recent uproar about the queue system, players quitting groups, and dungeons being too hard to complete. It won't improve either, because there is no reason whatsoever to run a dungeon if you don't need a set piece. So the ungeared players now, once they have armor set, will quit running them too - at least the few that make it that far.

Cryptics answer tokeeping level 60's around was to slow down progression by instituting BoP. Well, it backfired - all its done is cause the geared players to quit, and frustrated the ungeared 60s to the point of quitting as well.
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    whoamark wrote: »
    I'm on the server Beholder and I notice there's only ever 7-8 instances to switch between, each of which only adds up to around 1000 people online at average.

Many people are farming the festival stuff. Others doing the Sharandar daily stuff. And then the PE crowd. On top of that they don't seem to be opening up new instances as often as they use to. Couple days ago PE had 8 but they were all at 138 people per instance or higher. Use to be you could always find a few with 70-90ish people in them.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    bubba1966 wrote: »

Cryptics answer tokeeping level 60's around was to slow down progression by instituting BoP. Well, it backfired - all its done is cause the geared players to quit, and frustrated the ungeared 60s to the point of quitting as well.

Exactly. Yes, there are far less players now. Between that and Cryptic's brilliant idea of perma-banning everyone in sight, the player base has taken a huge hit. On Mindflayer, I rarely see a premade PVP match outside of four or five guilds. I haven't run a DD since the nerf-patch, and /lfg chat is minuscule. Right now people are mainly running Sharandar, CN and MC (first two bosses only).

What Cryptic can't seem to understand is that if you continually screw over your players, they'll leave. Simple concept, in my opinion.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I have noticed even larger discrepancies in levelling zones. Used to be there were 10-20 instances in every zone with at least 40 players each. Now you will be lucky to see 5-10 instances with 15-20 people each on weekends.

This was prior to the Midsummer festival, ofc.

Of course, things could be more complicated than pure numbers indicate. There would have been a launch population and some kind of lower "stable" population in levelling zones, in theory if things are going well. So, who knows...
  • Options
    fatalcystemfatalcystem Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    ^^ This.

Feywild pretty much killed the game for myself and my guild. I was looking forward to the new content, till I played it and saw it for what it really was. The nerfing of all the classes, the BoP items, breaking CN, etc. etc. is all just too much. It killed endgame for a lot of people. But personally, I'm fed up (and so should all of you) with the constant adding of more and more highly overpriced Zen items and none of the critical bugs and flaws being fixed for all the money that people seem to be giving them. They'd rather freak out and patch garb being transmuted than fix the dungeon hit boxes and exploits. Not to mention for every one thing thats "fixed", 5 more new ones pop up, and a few old ones come back, OR they say something is fixed, and it really isn't. Sad really, because I once saw potential in this game. If I could get a refund for the pack I purchased, I'd ask, but I know I won't get it. This game feels like a badly designed extortion scheme.

If you all want stuff to get fixed, I suggest more voicing of the dissatisfaction of the zen market prices, and possibly even boycotting purchases and/or playing altogether. If they really cared about the game at all, they'd see these actions and actually get off their asses and fix the critical flaws.
  • Options
    fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Right now people are mainly running MC (first two bosses only).

I am curious as to why people are just running the 1st two, any insight you can provide please?

Oh and pop does seem smaller, but that us just my observation.
  • Options
    alderonthedracoalderonthedraco Member Posts: 82
    edited September 2013
    In my opinion the most novice players do not need progression. Just win 20-30 BGs for the complete set and pick up some items blues in foundrys and dailys. Ie, it is much easier to catch 12k GS out of dugeons.
    In my opinion the system dugeons is outdated and must be reformed to what already exists in some quests foundry. The player choose the difficulty of dugeon according to the loot you want to receive (with the greatest difficulty of dugeon chosen, the better the drop of the boss). Thus, the number of dugeons performed in end-game would be increased and there would be more diversity with new random system of queue.
  • Options
    astariadodfastariadodf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Hehe I chuckled when I saw the perma banning suggestion. Should have been done LONG ago. I have been talking to honest players the last month that have become so fed up with the exploiters, they quit too.
  • Options
    macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    With the DD BoP chest is probably that many end gamers have quit the game which means less people running T2 Dungeons but i dont think the player base has decrease.

With all the nerfs to loot and classes i think its harder than ever to make T2 dungeons but thats not supose to be a bad thing, for the first time in neverwinter purples start to be more rare which for me is a good thing :)
  • Options
    deaththroedeaththroe Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited September 2013

If these are the numbers then I'm really surprised compared to what I remember of them.

Yes, in the US summer break is over and school has begun for many players which means they have less time to log in and play. The sky is not falling.
    10PM CST

• Options
    whoamarkwhoamark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    deaththroe wrote: »
    Yes, in the US summer break is over and school has begun for many players which means they have less time to log in and play. The sky is not falling.
    Well, this is based on the entire weekend so far.

One would think people in school would log on more over the weekend at some point but still the population seems rather low and trade chat is nearly dead at times.
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    But personally, I'm fed up (and so should all of you) with the constant adding of more and more highly overpriced Zen items and none of the critical bugs and flaws being fixed for all the money that people seem to be giving them. They'd rather freak out and patch garb being transmuted than fix the dungeon hit boxes and exploits. Not to mention for every one thing thats "fixed", 5 more new ones pop up, and a few old ones come back, OR they say something is fixed, and it really isn't. Sad really, because I once saw potential in this game. If I could get a refund for the pack I purchased, I'd ask, but I know I won't get it. This game feels like a badly designed extortion scheme.

If you all want stuff to get fixed, I suggest more voicing of the dissatisfaction of the zen market prices, and possibly even boycotting purchases and/or playing altogether. If they really cared about the game at all, they'd see these actions and actually get off their asses and fix the critical flaws.
    I have to agree with this. I feel that a lack of visible action on cryptics part with regards to fixing bugs that have been around forever or that are simply game breaking(Dragon AOE, perma-spawning adds even after boss death, GWF and TR tab breaking, Plaguefire broken, nerf, nerf, nerf, nerf...) results in a feeling that the general game quality of life is being lowered with each successive patch, especially since at least every other major patch also includes a Zen store item.

I do often consider spending more money on this game, but in it's current state I simply can't justify it.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    gek1956gek1956 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013

Oh we are still here, but why log in with your lvl 60s, weakened by an unnecessary and unbalanced NERF, to fight through overpowered DDs for a piece of BOP gear that you probably don't need, and certainly can't sell. Instead, I'm using my crafting to pull in almost a mill AD's per week.my 14 'craft' characters are now out earning my 5 (one of each AT) 60s. 4 or 5 hours a week, from my web browser if I want it, and I'm done.

And oh yeah, this game doesn't get another dime of my RL money till they stop this second rate bug riddled garbage. Watch the drop rate for the big box prizes. At peak times there were 15 to 20 nightmares an hour. NOT any more. Sooner or later they will figure it out. When they do, I'll come back and start playing again....

Money doesn't talk it ROARS - Bob Dylan
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I am curious as to why people are just running the 1st two, any insight you can provide please?

Oh and pop does seem smaller, but that us just my observation.

The pieces for the Fabled Formorian main-hand drop from the second boss. They are not found in the chest at the end. Three pieces are required to craft it. There's no reason to finish off the dragon and Valindra unless you want some of the new gear. I have the necklace, rings, and waist. It's not the best unless you have a unique build that uses many stats.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • Options
    bladerunner2000bladerunner2000 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    bubba1966 wrote: »
    There are always a lot of new players, but the game has a huge problem with retaining level 60s. It had this problem before, but BoP was pretty much the nail in the coffin, as that was the primary avenue to enjoyment for level 60s. I used to run DD 2/3 times a day. Since BoP, I or no one i know runs t2 at all anymore.

What, BoP has done, amongst other things, is filled the game with ungeared level 60s, while many of the geared ones have quit. Hence the recent uproar about the queue system, players quitting groups, and dungeons being too hard to complete. It won't improve either, because there is no reason whatsoever to run a dungeon if you don't need a set piece. So the ungeared players now, once they have armor set, will quit running them too - at least the few that make it that far.

Absolutely spot on....
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The pieces for the Fabled Formorian main-hand drop from the second boss. They are not found in the chest at the end. Three pieces are required to craft it. There's no reason to finish off the dragon and Valindra unless you want some of the new gear. I have the necklace, rings, and waist. It's not the best unless you have a unique build that uses many stats.
    Then of course the prices of the crafters are dropping like the Dow Jones in 1929 because you can't craft anything worthwhile that isn't BOP so you might as well sell all the assets you used to level the new professions up. Even the Zen/AD exchange is down, it's been steadily decreasing ever since Feywild came out and on Behold is regularly dipping under 342AD/Zen.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    kerrovitarrakerrovitarra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 559 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Main cause of lowering player base was banning (including permabans) of players for minor bug with quest sharing. Those sparks don't effect on the economy at all. But large amount of players were banned. Other players lost any motivation to play, cause their friends and guildmates was banned. This led to a massive decrease of playerbase.
  • Options
    dragoncrest0dragoncrest0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    I think its getting close to do those shard merges.

The population has decreased, queues are slower. And there are less people around everywhere than it used to be.
  • Options
    fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited September 2013

Curiosity sated, thank you!;)
  • Options
    mrvincent1959mrvincent1959 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I know I am playing the game alot less these days. Feywild is kinda fun if you want to level companions and get some boons, but it does indeed get a little repetitive. I don't really have a major problem with it, and it goes by pretty quick.

Something just does not seem right with this game now and I think the BOP is probably the major factor. Ok, I can understand that there was a problem with too many epics on the AH because it was getting too easy to get them. I mean, I totally understand that. The problem was in their solution to this problem.

Instead of fixing the dungeons so you cant run them 4 times in an hour, they nerf the classes and go with BOP on DD chest. This has created a very mundane environment for us end-gamers. The excitement of waiting for DD so I can get some cool stuff to sell is gone, so now I salvage everything and have a huge amount of rough diamonds....whoppeee!

Ok, so now after the fact, they are starting to fix the exploits. SO we will have BOP plus very long dungeon runs with little incentive to do them.

....and dont get me started on Malabog. Such a great dungeon...well, until the end boss....with the drops not matching the effort required to clear.

I can understand things like Epics from Seal traders being BOP, but man, that DD chest was something that I saw as a special reward for finishing the final bosses. For us fully geared people, it no longer really matters, so we play less.
    twitch.tv/kaligold
  • Options
    ameranth342ameranth342 Member Posts: 141 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013

This does seem to be the most likely scenario most people expect to happen, but in reality this would be a huge undertaking to actually perform for a endless list of reasons. Shard merge should have been implemented when it was at first expected at 'live' launch but for now as in the case of nearly all things in the game it as in my opinion been left way to late to actually do anything about now and would cause allot more controversy within the game and allot more bugs and problems for the developers, so very unlikely to happen without some major game breaking problems especially for the player base.

For a start all 3 shards have totally different economies, the values of everything from consumables to gear all have different values. different shards have different bugs prominent within them, some bugs only show on 1 shard and not on others so merging shards would cause chaos bug wise for a start, Even some gear stats are slightly different on other shards. Yes I know you would expect all 3 shards to be just mirrors of the others, but they are not. from what I understand all 3 shards are not even run out of the same locations, unless that’s has been changed recently.

So although allot of people keep mentioning a shard merge and expecting it I think although originally this was a good idea at the start I think currently at this time and with the current state of the game this would be a very unlikely thing to happen and now as been left way to long to implement successfully now. If they do attempt to merge the shards I would expect a major upheaval within the player base and the game on a whole.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

The population has decreased, queues are slower. And there are less people around everywhere than it used to be.

I'm not so sure about the Shard's merging. Why? That would mean more items in the AH, more supply, less demand, and lower prices. Cryptic doesn't like lower prices because it drives people away from buying Zen to convert to AD. They want thin supply, high demand. I say the servers are separate for a while.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • Options
    pandapaulpandapaul Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 424 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Well to me it's also about the fact that they don't do what they say or intend..
    They say they are balancing classes but cause more of a class imbalance in doing so...
    They have extremely poor implementation of new content.. Some of there ideas are ok.. But the implementation I them is very bad... Turning the excitement of new content. Into frustration.
    Players want the ability to continue to progress there characters.. Without having to spend massive amounts of real life money... Currently this isn't possible...
    I don't know why they don't fix the mountain or bugs. Whether its they can't be bothered or are not capable...

They refuse to add any sustainable end game..

Many reasons why there has been such a massive loss of players

My guild has 115 members.. And was an insanely strong group of players.. We are down to maybe 10 active players now
    #sigh
  • Options
    gek1956gek1956 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    pandapaul wrote: »
    Well to me it's also about the fact that they don't do what they say or intend..

Many reasons why there has been such a massive loss of players

My guild has 115 members.. And was an insanely strong group of players.. We are down to maybe 10 active players now
    #sigh

chill out panda, next time you make a few ads buy 500 zen start some alts....run your crafts. I do mostly leadership. I log in 2 or 3 times a day...5 hours a week, and make more ad than from fighting DDs that aren't worth my time with peeps who don't know what they are doing... I ve got 19 alts total make about 1mill ADS a week just doing this, till things are straight.

Most Important: DON"T SPEND ANY RL MONEY TILL THEY FIX THIS TRASH

The game will still be here in January.. ;)
  • Options
    pandapaulpandapaul Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 424 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    ^^ 19 alts lol... Sorry there is NO WAY I'm doing that.. Sorry.. I got other things to so in life other than making my own neverwinter army of toons... So get some in game currency.

Also 1 million zen/week u say??? Well I'm sure it's a typo you mean Ad but still kinda funny

I haven't got the time to efficiently run professions.. As I have a job and a life... Lol
  • Options
    maderiamaderia Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I know I am playing the game alot less these days. Feywild is kinda fun if you want to level companions and get some boons, but it does indeed get a little repetitive. I don't really have a major problem with it, and it goes by pretty quick.

Something just does not seem right with this game now and I think the BOP is probably the major factor. Ok, I can understand that there was a problem with too many epics on the AH because it was getting too easy to get them. I mean, I totally understand that. The problem was in their solution to this problem.

Instead of fixing the dungeons so you cant run them 4 times in an hour, they nerf the classes and go with BOP on DD chest. This has created a very mundane environment for us end-gamers. The excitement of waiting for DD so I can get some cool stuff to sell is gone, so now I salvage everything and have a huge amount of rough diamonds....whoppeee!

Ok, so now after the fact, they are starting to fix the exploits. SO we will have BOP plus very long dungeon runs with little incentive to do them.

....and dont get me started on Malabog. Such a great dungeon...well, until the end boss....with the drops not matching the effort required to clear.

I can understand things like Epics from Seal traders being BOP, but man, that DD chest was something that I saw as a special reward for finishing the final bosses. For us fully geared people, it no longer really matters, so we play less.

This post and the whole thread kind of sums it up for me. Making nearly everything BOP and the dreary "swarms of adds" mechanic has gotten dull. There is little incentive to run instances more than once and it seems now they will be buggy or filled with lag spikes to boot.

I went into Karrandax on my rogue today with a fully geared guild group. The instance was filled with lag spikes and the 2nd boss fight was just miserable. We finished the dungeon but it wasn't a whole lot of fun.

Dropping tons of chests is pretty transparent too. Yes we get it. More chests = more opportunity to buy keys..Add to that tons of blues and greens that sell for next to nothing and "rewards" are little more than frustrating. (Unless you find inventory management fun)

I really liked Neverwinter at launch. I love the D & D theme, the action-oriented combat and the variety of zones. To me, the Foundry was a major seller; something unique that would set Neverwinter apart from the rest of the pack but we seem to have successfully screwed that up too.

I find all of this pretty disappointing. A big part of gaming is immersion; suspension of disbelief. The cash shop is so in your face now in Neverwinter. Personally, I don't mind paying money if I am entertained. I believe in supporting a publisher for the entertainment I am provided.

Given the current state of the game, I am rapidly losing interest. That's too bad because there was a lot to like here. The game is in serious need of tuning. I would invite the developers to try the last boss fight in Malabog and see not just if they can complete it but be honest and ask yourself - am I having fun or is this really pretty tedious?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I think the state of the forum is a good guide to how things in the game are going too..
    The barracks section has maybe 10 people that reply..

General section used to have 300-400 people browsing constantly a month or so ago.. Now it's around 80-110

I take that as an indication maybe 70% of the player base has no left.. Which is what it looks like in the game..
  • Options
    lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    BS OP.....

I checked the Mid summer thingy place there was about 70 people in there and maybe 300 in PE.

Another thing mid summer fest. isnt it the end of summer now. Shouldnt it of been called End of summer.

The player base is dropping off plain and simple. Why is that well the game isnt complete yet. They shouldnt of put that paragon path thing in and just never had that when you turned that lvl. That is just a fail for development. It just pisses people off thinking oh i cant actaully pick my path i can only do this one. All the exploits and handling of them also is a fail for the development of the game. The F2P game model is loosing ground on this game anyway. People understand F2P game models better now and are put off by them.

This game was launched a year to early and should of been finsihed first then released.