test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Guardian Fighter Scrotobagins Regen Tank & DPS Builds

Comments

• hammerwindhammerwind Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hey DK, i'm in full Knights Captain..but isn't that only our T1 set? Should I be looking for a upgrade to T2 set for pure tank build as well?

My current feats are:

Strength Focus 3/3
    Toughness 3/3
    Shielded Resurgence 3/3
    Armor Specialization 3/3
    Potent Challenge 3/3
    Powerful Attack 5/5

Paragon – Iron Vanguard
    Conqueror Paragon
    Take Measure 5/5
    Reinforce Surge 5/5
    Cruel Cut Style 5/5
    Tactical Superiority 5/5
    Reckless Attacker 1/1

Protector Paragon
    Plate Agility 5/5
    Shield Defense 5/5

Should there be more in Protector instead...?

Also, my stats are at:
    HP: 28.5k
    Pwr: 4744
    Crit: 68
    ArP: 761
    Rec: 1358
    Def: 3555 (34.2%)
    Defl: 940 (7.9%)
    Reg: 792
    LifS: 423
    Mov: 360

I'm finding it hard to stack more Defl unless more can be gained maybe through my rings/neck/belt etc...
  • arinathosarinathos Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    FWIW, I've been using Anvil of Doom as one of my standards on my GF for a number of reasons...
    1) I found that damage of Anvil of Doom is one of the harder hitting encounters even without the damage bonus at 25% HP.
    2) At less than 25% HP, when maxed with the additional 20% bonus at rank II+III, it is definitely the hardest hitting encounter I have, with crits commonly in the 17-23K range
    3) Enforced threat has good AoE effect, but doesn't do that much damage to each mob. 2 or 3 more cleaves will usually kill off the trash mobs that enforced threat would otherwise do.
    4) For larger bosses (not uber ones), Anvil of Doom will sometimes kill them outright at the 25% mark that would otherwise take at least 5 more hits... and the fewer of those around, the less damage they do.
    5) Enforced threat is more useful in a way for gathering mobs and generating threat, but a hit that generates over 20K damage does a pretty good job attracting attention to.

So Enforced Threat is great for tanking, aggroing, and generating threat, but if you're thinking about adding a bit more single target DPS and eliminating damage dealers in PvE, Anvil of Doom is a great encounter power to slot in your toolbar.
  • odd111outodd111out Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I slot in Anvil of Doom in parties where I solo the boss. Combined with Knight's Challenge and Villian's Menace, it does a nice bit of damage even before the 25% health mark is reached. I use it for instance when I solo the 2nd boss in MC: ITF, AoD and KC. Even with a Tactician build, as long as you don't let him hit you on the head with his sword, it gets the job done.

For trash clearing in the rest of the dungeon I much prefer Enforced Threat to make sure I hold agro after a Singularity. I try to have either that or Frontline Surge or Terrifying Impact ready when the mob comes down. Running with 2 or 3 CWs, or doing anything where mobs get thrown off ledges (ToS, SP, PK etc) I find AoD too slow and wasted DPS on something that's about to fall to it's death. I've yet to meet a GF who can kill a single Phase Spider with one AoD but I can BC it off a ledge.
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    odd111out wrote: »
    I slot in Anvil of Doom in parties where I solo the boss. Combined with Knight's Challenge and Villian's Menace, it does a nice bit of damage even before the 25% health mark is reached. I use it for instance when I solo the 2nd boss in MC: ITF, AoD and KC. Even with a Tactician build, as long as you don't let him hit you on the head with his sword, it gets the job done.

For trash clearing in the rest of the dungeon I much prefer Enforced Threat to make sure I hold agro after a Singularity. I try to have either that or Frontline Surge or Terrifying Impact ready when the mob comes down. Running with 2 or 3 CWs, or doing anything where mobs get thrown off ledges (ToS, SP, PK etc) I find AoD too slow and wasted DPS on something that's about to fall to it's death. I've yet to meet a GF who can kill a single Phase Spider with one AoD but I can BC it off a ledge.

If you're going for straight up burst I prefer Griffon's Wrath. Especially for boss encounters like Syndryth, a KC > Villain's > Lunge > Griffon's x3 does a heck of a lot of damage. Even without KC, I've seen my GW strikes crit for 11-17k each(I assume vs debuffed enemies, I didn't check the log). I expect a KC > Villain's > Griffon x3 > AoD rotation would be pretty hit really hard as well.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
    edited October 2013
    As far as I know, Griffon's Wrath is still bugged and it's CD can't be reduced? Anyways, on a good day I crit KC > Villain's > AoD for about 60k against an undebuffed PK boss. And it comes up again before I need it for the KC rotation. I've run my 60 CW (Plaguefire) and my 60 GF enough to know my AoD hits harder non-crit than my IK 2 times per 30 secs. And once I use it I am free to move around again. As I'm not a Protector spec, I really try to keep my face-tanking to a minimum against a boss.
  • hinageshi79hinageshi79 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 246 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    wubick wrote: »
    Hey dkcandy, thanks for all the guides, they have been helpful.

I'm running the KC lifesteal build, not maxed out by any means, but it's still working very well I feel. You have listed Anvil of Doom as one of your encounters. Could you explain why that is? I find Enforced Threat is better in so many ways..
    1) anvil damage is quite average and it feels a waste in a lot of cases to wait for the 25% hp bonus damage
    2) enforced threat deals more damage when there are 3 or more mobs, which is almost always it seems.
    3) enforced threat also has taunt and guard recharge mechanics, so some added bonuses there.

Also would be interesting to know how much your regular cleave hits for, would give me some reference point as to where I'm standing now.

Hello
    i use KC lifesteal build since stalwart was destroyed from devps, but i have lot of doubts about it because in most of T2 dungeons you really need astral shield to survive, so the contribution to survival given by lifesteal is minimal. I continue to play lifesteal only because i like its mechanic even if my feeling is that lifesteal is too weak to be really useful.

Please, could you explain me why in your opinion lifesteal is good?
    edited October 2013
    I would guess it depends on your shield/cleave ratio. I have a Lifesteal CW build, but you only really see a noticeable difference when you hit about 10% return on damage. On my Tactician GF, I have a Lifesteal Daily and I spend some time taking spinning Greatsouls into my shield, so I went with regen instead. I can do T2 bosses without an Astral Shield but you have to use shield and you can't face tank the boss "dailies." A Conqueror GF might take Lifesteal over regen and do quite well, but when I run on my DC I usually have to heal them a lot more than my GF requires.
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    odd111out wrote: »
    As far as I know, Griffon's Wrath is still bugged and it's CD can't be reduced?

It's a global issue with skills that have charges and it is being fixed on preview.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• hopehoranhopehoran Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    dkcandy wrote: »
    With 15 Dex you should only have 1854 ArP Rating. Your ArP rating is way to high unless you are doing PvP.

dkcandy, thank you for the guide.

I think I'm really missing something. I have 21 DEX and a stone and my ArmP is 1781. How do I get close to 24%? And I'm stacking ArmP on my stone!

I thought by respec'ing DEX instead of STR, my stats would change. They stayed exactly the same. Nothing I changed affected my totals. Is that normal?

Thank you
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    hopehoran wrote: »
    dkcandy, thank you for the guide.

I think I'm really missing something. I have 21 DEX and a stone and my ArmP is 1781. How do I get close to 24%? And I'm stacking ArmP on my stone!

I thought by respec'ing DEX instead of STR, my stats would change. They stayed exactly the same. Nothing I changed affected my totals. Is that normal?

Thank you

Read: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?358391-Con-(GWF)-and-Dex-(GF)-are-now-addative-to-Armor-Penetration

Summary: Armor Penetration stat rating which grants Resistance Ignored stat is completely separate from Resistance Ignored from Ability Score. Since your Character Sheet only shows the two sources separately and not a total Resistance Ignored, you will not see your Armor Penetration or its tooltip change regardless of your DEX Ability Score. BUT the two sources do sum together.
  • hopehoranhopehoran Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Thank you fondlez. So 1287, with my DEX of 21, is at 24%. Does this mean I should remove ArmP from my stone and maybe add more power? Crit? Recovery? Is the ArmP after 1287 wasted? That's what I seem to get from the link above. Just making sure.

Thank you.
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    hopehoran wrote: »
    Thank you fondlez. So 1287, with my DEX of 21, is at 24%. Does this mean I should remove ArmP from my stone and maybe add more power? Crit? Recovery? Is the ArmP after 1287 wasted? That's what I seem to get from the link above. Just making sure.

Thank you.

Sounds right. But if you are Conqueror specced and mainly or only concerned about PvE, you will want as much Power on yourself, not your pet, as possible and the ArP on your pet instead due to the Reckless Attacker feat.
  • dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    fondlez wrote: »
    Sounds right. But if you are Conqueror specced and mainly or only concerned about PvE, you will want as much Power on yourself, not your pet, as possible and the ArP on your pet instead due to the Reckless Attacker feat.

Exactly as listed on the 1st page of the guild. :P
    edited November 2013
    wubick wrote: »
    Hey dkcandy, thanks for all the guides, they have been helpful.

I'm running the KC lifesteal build, not maxed out by any means, but it's still working very well I feel. You have listed Anvil of Doom as one of your encounters. Could you explain why that is? I find Enforced Threat is better in so many ways..
    1) anvil damage is quite average and it feels a waste in a lot of cases to wait for the 25% hp bonus damage
    2) enforced threat deals more damage when there are 3 or more mobs, which is almost always it seems.
    3) enforced threat also has taunt and guard recharge mechanics, so some added bonuses there.

Also would be interesting to know how much your regular cleave hits for, would give me some reference point as to where I'm standing now.

Sorry for the slow response been busy on the PTR playing Hunter. :P

The reason I go with Anvil is because it's great for killing elites as all of the non-elites melt with my teams dmg. So normally only elites are left and just 1-2. So enforce threat does less dmg over the entire instance and doesn't give the burst I need to finish off those elites.
    edited November 2013
    hammerwind wrote: »
    Hey DK, i'm in full Knights Captain..but isn't that only our T1 set? Should I be looking for a upgrade to T2 set for pure tank build as well?

KC set gives your team mates a huge dmg increase and why it's still my 1st choice for PvE sets.

If you want to get tanker then you can use tank rings, neck, belt.
    edited November 2013
    Hello
    i use KC lifesteal build since stalwart was destroyed from devps, but i have lot of doubts about it because in most of T2 dungeons you really need astral shield to survive, so the contribution to survival given by lifesteal is minimal. I continue to play lifesteal only because i like its mechanic even if my feeling is that lifesteal is too weak to be really useful.
    d
    Please, could you explain me why in your opinion lifesteal is good?

The reason for the KC set is because of the massive team dmg boost. How a team does the trash / bosses is all based on their team's gear and play style. The teams / Players I run with are normally very well geared in all rank 8+ enchants with full sets of gear and we zerg burst everything dead.

The reason for life steal is because it's another form of healing. So with DC heals, life steal, regen and pots you're pretty set.
  • twstdechotwstdecho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 630 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Based my build off your regen/deflect tank but tweaked it for a little more damage and it's working great, thanks! DC and I were able to hold middle point for the bulk of most matches, allowing the other three members to work together on points 1 & 3.

Now, when the other team got 4 guys together and took out the DC first, I wasn't able to hold them off for long, but that's normal.
  • slipp3rzmk6slipp3rzmk6 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    dkcandy wrote: »
    The reason for the KC set is because of the massive team dmg boost. How a team does the trash / bosses is all based on their team's gear and play style. The teams / Players I run with are normally very well geared in all rank 8+ enchants with full sets of gear and we zerg burst everything dead.

The reason for life steal is because it's another form of healing. So with DC heals, life steal, regen and pots you're pretty set.

Hi DK,

i was also wondering about the lifesteal. I chose to add recovery instead of lifesteal because i didnt know how useful it would be.

my stats right now are: 22str, 24con, 14dex, 14cha
    HP 30608
    Power 7462
    crit 1995
    arp 1896
    rec 1744
    def 3814
    dflk 634
    regn 699
    lifeS 0
    mov 340

Enchantments: vorpal and lesser soulforged.
    Im using a CAT

Is there anything I should focus on or change around? suggestions maybe?
    Any input would be nice.
    Here is my character sheet: http://gateway.playneverwinter.com/#char(sLiPp3rZ_MK6@slipp3rzmk6)/charactersheet

Thanks!
    edited November 2013
    slipp3rzmk6 -

It all depends on what your builds short-comings are.

If you are dieing often then maybe more life steal/regen/deflect (Survival)

If your dmg is low then work on adding more power or maybe changing feats around.

No build is perfect for every player/team and so tweak your builds around your play style and friends you play with.

Just analyze your current build and if you are happy with it then increase the enchants you have up to level 10s. Soon rank 10 / Perfect enchants will be easier come MOD 2.
  • goldmember7goldmember7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 36
    edited November 2013
    Hi DK and other GF veterans,

I have a build that resembles the PvE build in the first post, with the double power feat. (I started with this build, but got side tracked by other more tanky turtle builds, but I realized before it was too late that I would have a hard time holding aggro if going too defensive.) It seems like you know what your are doing!

I am having trouble deciding on my gear, so I would like some hints please.

My stats:
    Dwarf, Conqueror
    Strength 17
    Intelligence 12
    Constitution 26
    Wisdom 12
    Dexterity 19
    Charisma 10

My current equipped gear:
    Helm of the Indomitable Warrior
    Timeless Hero's Armor + lvl 6 Radiant
    Icefall Gauntlets (empty)
    Brutal Lizardfolk Scimitar (empty)
    Shield of the Timeless Hero (empty)
    Timeless Hero's Greaves (empty)
    Ancient Pilgrim's Necklace of Prayer (empty)
    Ancient Priest's Ring of Burning Light + lvl 6 Radiant
    Ancient Fugitive's Ring of Revolt (empty)
    Ancient Priest's Belt of Burning Light + lvl 6 Radiant
    Blue Guardian shirt & trousers

I have a stone with two Crit lvl 6 + one Eldrith lvl 6 and I have Hrimnirs amulet, the purple Retribution icon and one Grand ring (can't remember which on at the moment, but it has defensive stats).

This gives me (according to Gateway, so no pet bonus or 2*power etc):
    Hit Points 29,537
    Armor Class 37
    Power 3,164
    Defense 2,568
    Critical Strike 383
    Recovery 1,318
    Armor Penetration 402
    Regeneration 0
    Health Steal 308
    Deflection 1,940
    Movement 0

I have in my inventory also
    Shield of Grand Regent (unbound)
    High General Armor (bound)

My current set up gives me fairly high Deflect and OK Defense, and while it is worthwhile to maintain them at high level as a GF I wonder if I should not go for a 4 armor set or 2+2 armor set that gives more crit or armor pen. I was planning on going 2 General + 2 Timeless for the combination of Deflect and Armor Pen bonus. I am unsure though if one of the 4 piece bonuses is a better choice?

Also, I find Regen and Life Steal very useful while soloing, but in a dungeon with a DC is Regen & Life Steal really making a difference? The solo play like Sharandar is easy enough already, so I would rather focus on my ability to attract aggro, hold it and survive during T2 dungeons. Keeping the DC alive and free to heal me is what I do as top priority.

I am not rich in AD, so changing this build will be a slow progression and I want to have fun and do my part to the team while improving my gear.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kemi1984kemi1984 Member Posts: 849 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    If I may add my bit...

For DPS/Tank hybrid there's no better set than Timeless.

Highest possible power + a hefty amount of deflect. Additionally 4 piece bonus is a beast here.
    You will get a good amount of crit & it's easy to hold 3 stacks of it all the time frankly.

ATM I'm working for making my self a bit tankier & trying to do so without sacrificing my stats.
    IMO the best way to do it is get your hands on Negation enchant to increase damage reduction.

All in all, I think that Timeless all the way!

P.S

If you're doing enough damage than around 1k life steal could be an option.
    For a tankier build (less DPS), regeneration can still be more useful tho.
    Nancy - Dragonborn, SM Guardian Fighter
    A proud member of "mythical horde of DPS GFs"

1). Is SW more dps or tank based?
    2). Yes. I am panzer!
    3). Get ACT if you want to celebrate your epeen.
    4). Horniness will not stand between me and what I believe - "MM"
    edited November 2013
    Hi DK and other GF veterans,

I have a build that resembles the PvE build in the first post, with the double power feat. (I started with this build, but got side tracked by other more tanky turtle builds, but I realized before it was too late that I would have a hard time holding aggro if going too defensive.) It seems like you know what your are doing!

I am having trouble deciding on my gear, so I would like some hints please.

My stats:
    Dwarf, Conqueror
    Strength 17
    Intelligence 12
    Constitution 26
    Wisdom 12
    Dexterity 19
    Charisma 10

My current equipped gear:
    Helm of the Indomitable Warrior
    Timeless Hero's Armor + lvl 6 Radiant
    Icefall Gauntlets (empty)
    Brutal Lizardfolk Scimitar (empty)
    Shield of the Timeless Hero (empty)
    Timeless Hero's Greaves (empty)
    Ancient Pilgrim's Necklace of Prayer (empty)
    Ancient Priest's Ring of Burning Light + lvl 6 Radiant
    Ancient Fugitive's Ring of Revolt (empty)
    Ancient Priest's Belt of Burning Light + lvl 6 Radiant
    Blue Guardian shirt & trousers

I have a stone with two Crit lvl 6 + one Eldrith lvl 6 and I have Hrimnirs amulet, the purple Retribution icon and one Grand ring (can't remember which on at the moment, but it has defensive stats).

This gives me (according to Gateway, so no pet bonus or 2*power etc):
    Hit Points 29,537
    Armor Class 37
    Power 3,164
    Defense 2,568
    Critical Strike 383
    Recovery 1,318
    Armor Penetration 402
    Regeneration 0
    Health Steal 308
    Deflection 1,940
    Movement 0

I have in my inventory also
    Shield of Grand Regent (unbound)
    High General Armor (bound)

My current set up gives me fairly high Deflect and OK Defense, and while it is worthwhile to maintain them at high level as a GF I wonder if I should not go for a 4 armor set or 2+2 armor set that gives more crit or armor pen. I was planning on going 2 General + 2 Timeless for the combination of Deflect and Armor Pen bonus. I am unsure though if one of the 4 piece bonuses is a better choice?

Also, I find Regen and Life Steal very useful while soloing, but in a dungeon with a DC is Regen & Life Steal really making a difference? The solo play like Sharandar is easy enough already, so I would rather focus on my ability to attract aggro, hold it and survive during T2 dungeons. Keeping the DC alive and free to heal me is what I do as top priority.

I am not rich in AD, so changing this build will be a slow progression and I want to have fun and do my part to the team while improving my gear.

4pc bonuses are great and no real reason to do 2/2 sets for PvE. There still is no better set at this point than Knights Cap due to the large team dmg increase. But that is just my groups play style with everyone boosting team dmg and zerging the mobs with mass dmg.

Also if your team mates play mobile and avoid dmg vs. being hit and focus mobs down you don't need to be stacking threat. What I recommend is spend AD on upgrading enchants till you are rank 8+ and greater/Perfect Weapon/Armor.

Then you can play with different sets/builds but till then focus on upgrading your enchants and this all gets easier come MOD2.
  • sslothzzsslothzz Member Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Since it's a lot of wise people in this thread, i have a little question to them :)
    How does Bronzewood Enchantment work with arpen?
    I know arpen resolves before any buff/debuff. But bronzewood says that I just ignore some part of the target's armor. But how it all resolves?
    I have 16 dex (+6% to arpen basically) and 1650 arpen stat which gives me 22% in total - enough for all mob packs (i can switch one belt and get 24% if the group wants me on the boss). But paired with Bronzewood - is it a bit overkill?
    edited November 2013
    sslothzz wrote: »
    Since it's a lot of wise people in this thread, i have a little question to them :)
    How does Bronzewood Enchantment work with arpen?
    I know arpen resolves before any buff/debuff. But bronzewood says that I just ignore some part of the target's armor. But how it all resolves?
    I have 16 dex (+6% to arpen basically) and 1650 arpen stat which gives me 22% in total - enough for all mob packs (i can switch one belt and get 24% if the group wants me on the boss). But paired with Bronzewood - is it a bit overkill?

When I tested bronzewood when it first came out I was unimpressed by it. But there are others that swear by it and say it gives a 16% dmg increase. I would have to test it again to see it's actually dmg values.
  • mustikkasmustikkas Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hi dkcandy,

I am in the process of updating some defensive stats, mainly through enchants.
    My current defensive stats are

Damage Resistance: 51,7%
    Deflect: 27,8%
    HP: 30476
    Life steal: 5,2%
    Regeneration: 6,4%

I am a prot GF. What would u recommend boosting?
    edited November 2013
    mustikkas wrote: »
    Hi dkcandy,

Health - Upgrade your Radiant Enchants

Also research Blue Rings/Belts/Neck as sometimes they have better itemization than Epics.
  • layback16layback16 Member Posts: 31
    edited November 2013
    mustikkas wrote: »
    Hi dkcandy,

Tank need hp/reg - def/defle

2x blue [Greater Ring of Health] = more hp+reg and def slot (radiant)...good upgrade

Set I like Grand Regent for tank...
    Teahupoo, GF TANK PVP (Stoped in time) :mad:

Teahup00, HR PVE :o
    edited November 2013
    UPDATE -

I've been testing new variations to the Deflect/Regen armor build for both PvP & PvE and plan to post them after MOD 2. I won't be posting any of the concepts till I can test them on live on current content. But stay tuned for some overpowered builds for the GF tanks.

For the PvE DPS GF's I still plan to stick to using the Knights Captain set & guide posted as it still provides the largest DPS boost for your team. Later into MOD 2 after I get bored with Deflect/Regen I may look into a new DPS build using the new GWF feats but currently not interested in researching that yet.
  • najliahnajliah Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Good day Sir,

I would like to ask which is better on the 4th boon: arcane damage when hitting or 400 hp when being hit.

I'm currently following your deflect/regen build..
    edited November 2013
    400 HP when hit. More survival is always a Plus. :D