test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Zen Shop Pricing Feedback Thread

fusedmassfusedmass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
edited March 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
$200.00 20,000 + 1,300
$100.00 10,000 + 600
$50.00 5,000 + 300
$30.00 3,000
$20.00 2,000
$10.00 1,000
$5.00 500

The above are current prices for Zen. Take into account to get the new healer companion you have to spend 20 dollars or 2,000 Zen. I bought Hero of North. I know this is a free game and I'm entitled to nothing. Yet at the same time. I cannot remember a game in recent memory so expensive as this one.

There are people who say (Just don't buy anything) even to reset talent points cost Zen at (5.00) all I'm asking people look at the prices and what we can get, and say (Honestly, unbiased) if it's worth it. I noticed the max Zen you could buy was 50.00 through one transaction. Now it's up from 100 dollars, to 200.

I know people who said they spent thousands on this game. (Yes thousands) I'd like peoples point of view, without flaming and just sincerely explain in detail they think its good or bad. For long term growth. I played several MMO's since the 90's, including couple free to play. Never before I seen prices sky rocket.

Do you feel you're getting your money's worth.
Post edited by fusedmass on

Comments

• Options
    hobokenboyhobokenboy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    One zen = one penny. It's not the zen that is overpriced in my view, but the items they're charging the zen FOR. I'm not paying $35 for a mount, even if it /is/ account wide. That's all of TWO CHARACTERS.....but I will say they've decently priced character slots. Two for five bucks is not half bad.

The way things are priced makes me think that whomever did the actual pricing was on a roller coaster emotionally. Manic depressive one moment, and joyfully exuberant the next. There's no consistency to it. Sixty dollars for a fluff pack to go with content that will more than likely be burnt through by a large portion of the playerbase in a matter of hours, I predict.

Yes, I feel like buying zen is a fairly even exchange. What isn't to me is the pricing of some of the items. /That/ is outright gouging.
    I'm unhappy and I can't say why.
  • Options
    thesipeliusthesipelius Member Posts: 95
    edited July 2013
    I don't think the prices in the store are really worth it. I think around 30 bucks is ok to pay for a game and for that you could buy a good mount and a couple of character slots. Other Zen store items I would definitely buy by bying Zen with AD but it seems that those prices have been steadily rising.

Edit: Oh yes, and I think that probably the wisest thing to spend the Zen on would be respecs, character slots, maybe bank/bag space. Sort of additional boosts. The epic mount is a good thing to get at some point but I guess it would be better to change AD to Zen and then buy it.
  • Options
    cheesegromitcheesegromit Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    fusedmass wrote: »
    Do you feel you're getting your money's worth.
    The short answer to this is no as far as I'm concerned. Whether you look at the real money to zen conversion or the prices of items in the zen store it doesn't matter, it's more than I'm prepared to pay.

Not that I really care, I get to play the game for free. If it turns out the game isn't much fun f2p it's not like I'm being forced to play.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm with hobokenboy here - the Zen itself is fine. It's the prices for the items in the Zen store that are out of whack.

$20 for a single companion on one character, which can't even get to max level (30)?
    $10 for a single bag that, again, is only on 1 character?

Other than some small things, like some of the dye packs, prices can hardly be described as "micro" here...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    Moderator Notice:
    . . . . .
    The poster gave their opinion. There is no reason to go into philosophical and societal debates and discussions, or even conspiracy theories. If you think it is overpriced, give your opinion. If you think it is right on track, give your opinion. If you think it is under-priced, give your opinion. There is no need to pick apart people's opinions and create off topic discussions about philosophical and societal opinions.

These such off topic posts
    have been moved to the Lower Depths. Stay on topic please and [POST=5311301]read the Rules[/POST]. Thanks!

Clarification:
    Please do feel free to give your opinions on whether you do feel the Zen Shop is Overpriced or Not, and/or What Changes you may like to see, and/or other opinions that would Help the Game Grow and Get Better. Thread title is being changed to match the thread's topic.
  • Options
    rekia3rekia3 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I've been thinking about this for a while too, and I've grown disillusioned with this game and no longer play. I've played many games with a cash shop, including both free to play, pay to play and subscription based and I can honestly say this is the one game that not only does my dollar not go as far, but far more things are cash shop only. If I had to choose the number one worst deal for my money out of the many MMOs I've played, this would be it.

I bought the $60 founders pack thinking that this initial buy in cost would set me up for a while, only to find that bags, inventory space, respecs, and other quality of life enhancements are cash shop only. I think the thing that finally pushed me over the edge was that the free companions could not be upgraded, but you could spend $20-$35 to buy one of the good quality companions from the shop, and the "cheaper" ones can't even get max rank! At the later levels, my companion was worthless and spent every single fight dead.

There is another game that I paid $60 for a founder's pack to support them in development and that game has been extremely fair. Not only did they give me some of the cash shop money to buy a couple things, but all of the things in their cash shop also have a chance to be found / earned in game. They are planning to make most of their money on costumes and cosmetic items and not on restricting a player's fun level by not allowing them any inventory space unless they pay $5 per character for 8 slots or whatever.

I want to be clear and just say that I do not mind micro-transaction style free to play games. I usually allow myself $15-$30 a month for MMO subscriptions or micro-transactions, but it's like a previous poster said: there's nothing "micro" about the prices.

This game is fun, and I would like to play it, but if I compare it to other western buy to play or free to play games, it is just too expensive for me and I cannot justify playing it.
  • Options
    cyberdoxcyberdox Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    IMO yes they are quite expensive for what they are compared to other games or other things you can purchase in real life.
    However, the way this game is set up, for the people willing to spend big money on this game, can do so and in turn the devs get their pay, and the server stays alive, yay ^.^
    and for those who don't want to spend money on the game, then you simply need to run epic dungeons in till you get the pieces of the best set for each class (generally there is the best set, then the others are meh), and once you have a piece, ether equip it, or sell it then use that ad to buy zen.
    its essentially a trade of zen (from those who spend money on the game) to those with the gear.
  • Options
    zuelekzuelek Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I wanted to buy one of the mounts but 35.00$? Thats insane, I only paid about 10.00$ for my mount in Forsaken World, and there Zen to leaves is just a dumb conversion.

I have to agree the dollar to zen is fine, its these other items and their pricing that is just silly. Mounts at most should cost 20.00, I have 1 toon on this game I see no reason why to make another since I am limited to 2 character slots.

I just see no justification for the pricing in this game.
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    you think thats expensive? you should check out the EU prices. its $37 for 3000 there.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    cyberdoxcyberdox Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    well lets see, epic mounts on the AH go for 600k+ and they can only be used on one character.
    the exotic epic mounts in the Zen market costs 3.5k zen, current zen:AD rate is 1:336 (mindfry last time i cheeked)
    so that zen mount is going to cost me 1.17M AD, but i also get to claim it free on my other character, so now I've payed 580K for 2 mounts. cheaper than the AH... but now i went and brought myself 2 additional character slots (500zen, 168k zen), get to claim my Bear for free on both of those characters, now that's only 265K for each mount... ALOT cheaper than AH (the thing where the plays decide the costs), infact if i brought a epic mount for each character of the AH thats 2.4M AD, instead since i used the Zen market, i only paid 1.17M for my mounts on my 4 characters... so yes the Zen store might be experience of some things, but epic mounts is defiantly not one of them if you have more than 1 character (which everyone can do free) and sht tone cheaper if you 4 (which quite alot of people have)
  • Options
    thehumbleguythehumbleguy Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Its not only totally overpriced. The game developers wants you to pay for the most basic things like Holding-Bags and Respec Powers.

I'm sure this will kill the game.
  • Options
    vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It would be nice if there was some account vs char pricing 25-35$ for account horse, and 10-15$ for same horse on one char that's sellable in AH like costume sets. anthen take a 10$-20$ costume sets let us pay 25-35$ for it to be account-wide.

same can go for bags or bank slots 500 for a row on 1 char or 1000-2000z on all characters. this way people who really want that tiger for their cat themed rogue can have it JUST on that char for a reasonable price. and people who say want the wedding gown on EVERY single character can also have their wish.

also consider maybe selling bags from vendors...6-8 slots just so people can have something in the slot. they will still buy bigger when they need room. also maybe add some bag slots to the bank for sorting reasons so people can buy 5 or 6 more bags of holding for more room :P

Also you might want to consider adding a fashion/horse tabs like we have for pets and crafting as of now im not buying a bunch of mounts due to bag space issue. If I wasn't worried about these few items taking up space I might buy a few 30$ mounts for variety. *dangles a carrot*
  • Options
    zuelekzuelek Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It would be nice if there was some account vs char pricing 25-35$ for account horse, and 10-15$ for same horse on one char that's sellable in AH like costume sets. anthen take a 10$-20$ costume sets let us pay 25-35$ for it to be account-wide.

same can go for bags or bank slots 500 for a row on 1 char or 1000-2000z on all characters. this way people who really want that tiger for their cat themed rogue can have it JUST on that char for a reasonable price. and people who say want the wedding gown on EVERY single character can also have their wish.

also consider maybe selling bags from vendors...6-8 slots just so people can have something in the slot. they will still buy bigger when they need room. also maybe add some bag slots to the bank for sorting reasons so people can buy 5 or 6 more bags of holding for more room :P

Also you might want to consider adding a fashion/horse tabs like we have for pets and crafting as of now im not buying a bunch of mounts due to bag space issue. If I wasn't worried about these few items taking up space I might buy a few 30$ mounts for variety. *dangles a carrot*

If they did separate mount pricing like that I would buy a mount, because I don't see myself playing another toon theres only 2 toon slots which imo is just ridiculous enough, but paying 10-20$ for a mount ( I wouldnt pay over 10$ for a non epic mount) seems fair enough, because its almost in the price range of how much p2p MMOS are.
  • Options
    bpskibbenheimsbpskibbenheims Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    The QoL items (mounts excluded ... pricing is a problem here) IMO are worth it as they are typically all reasonably attainable through the zen ad exchange. The others like companions and so ons worth merely depends on the person buying. I haven't bought any non convenience zen items other than the ghost companion ... It's just too cool lol and realistically is quite useful in solo foundries and so on.

The main problem with prices are with mount prices ... Especially if you are into pvp.
    "Confusion is the T-Rex of tire faucets."
    -Sir Bartholomew P. Skibbenheims III, Esquire, Twice Removed

steam.php?id=BPSkibbenheims&pngimg=http:%@^%@^www.backfiregaming.net%@^bartswap%@^bartsig.png&tborder=1
  • Options
    umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 845 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Neverwinter has received praise in most of the online reviews I've seen.

And yet in every review was also a mention about how pricey the offerings in the micro-transaction store are, in the sense that by paying these prices, you're not really getting the value for your money. I certainly feel the same way.

I think it's all to the advantage of Cryptic Studios/Perfect World Entertainment to lower the prices in order to have people more inclined to partake. I mean, it's practically one of the only flaws review sites uniformly state... so, if they 'correct' that, it addresses the more obvious blemish in their reviews.

If I had a suggestion to make, it'd be to adjust it so that the priciest items cap at around 2500 zen (25 USD) rather than 3500 zen (i.e.: honey badger companion), so price reduction overall would be 70% of the current prices.

That's a significant amount of money lost on any single purchase, yes, but that would meet the prices you'd see in another Cryptic game: Star Trek Online; where an endgame ship would cost 2500 zen as well. There's less profit per unit, but more incentivation to buy due to the less prohibitive-looking prices.
  • Options
    nikitaoznikitaoz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    If you don't buy every single thing from the store it is ok. The prices are steep because the game is new.
    Once it ages things will be cheaper. I just hope it won't meet the fate of Rusty Hearts.
  • Options
    brandyyyybrandyyyy Member Posts: 70
    edited July 2013
    I am in favour of a few hyper rich ppl doing all they paying. We can bleed them out for AD exchange and they keep the game going that masses play for free. good deal:)
  • Options
    rekia3rekia3 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    umaeko wrote: »
    Neverwinter has received praise in most of the online reviews I've seen.

And yet in every review was also a mention about how pricey the offerings in the micro-transaction store are, in the sense that by paying these prices, you're not really getting the value for your money. I certainly feel the same way.

I think it's all to the advantage of Cryptic Studios/Perfect World Entertainment to lower the prices in order to have people more inclined to partake. I mean, it's practically one of the only flaws review sites uniformly state... so, if they 'correct' that, it addresses the more obvious blemish in their reviews.

If I had a suggestion to make, it'd be to adjust it so that the priciest items cap at around 2500 zen (25 USD) rather than 3500 zen (i.e.: honey badger companion), so price reduction overall would be 70% of the current prices.

That's a significant amount of money lost on any single purchase, yes, but that would meet the prices you'd see in another Cryptic game: Star Trek Online; where an endgame ship would cost 2500 zen as well. There's less profit per unit, but more incentivation to buy due to the less prohibitive-looking prices.

I completely agree with this. The price of everything in the cash shop, and the fact that I will never ever be able to get more inventory space or respec my character without paying real life money is such a detractor for me that it makes me just not want to play this game at all.

I feel like I'd be better off to use that money on another game, where I can have more of a feeling of satisfaction with my purchase rather than that reluctant "I wish I didn't have to pay for this" feeling. Guild Wars 2 cash shop is amazing, not only do I feel like my money is well spent, but the only things on their cash shop are fun costumes or convenience items, not things like the only viable late game companions and mounts, the only way to respec or gain more inventory/ bank space, or the only way to combine high level runes without wasting them.
  • Options
    brandyyyybrandyyyy Member Posts: 70
    edited July 2013
    in asia theres so much child labour lets assume they always producing the most AD... they can buy zen with that AD on the exchange and sell it to you. Cryptic has to compete with them prety much lol. Thankfully they controll the world :P They are going to need to constantly devalue zen/ad or else some asain child labour user will be able to offer a better price.
  • Options
    brendan03usbrendan03us Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Star Trek Online's prices are lower because the game is 3+years old now. You don't see premium pricing on old games (although the Romulan Legacy Pack was pricey enough, but that was again, new), but on a brand new game with the D&D label -- you're going to see premium pricing to beat the band.
  • Options
    lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I would never spend another dime on this game at the prices right now or the state of the game also.

If the game was fixed to a say normal mmo average and the prices dropped by 50% maybe just maybe i would spend some coin
  • Options
    milkbonedogmilkbonedog Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I feel like this is the most expensive game I have ever played. This game is not very attractive to a new player who does not have a lot of extra cash to spend right off the bat. $35 for a epic speed mount, $30 for a epic companion per character (very optional), $20 for a Stone (not quite as optional for endgame), $10 per bag per slot, $3 to respect every time you make a mistake or find a better way to play your class, $6 to upgrade your tiny little bank just a BIT more, $16 for a profession asset bag, $3 for professional booster packs, $15 for 200 potions, and not to mention $5 (I think) for the mass scrolls of life.

Of course everything I mentioned is OPTIONAL, but some of it is almost necessary. If you use a regular speed mount you are handicapped in PVP and it will cost a fortune to upgrade. If you have no bag space you will run out of room pretty quickly. Without extra bags you really can't even consider holding on to enchants so you can fuse higher level ones. Without professional assets you are going to have a hard time leveling any profession, and without Leadership you will really be struggling to get AD (remember, new character). You can definitely survive without the potion stone and the scrolls of mass life are a joke.

None of these items are worth the money they cost. The best value for the money is the mount because you get it for all characters, but it is still overpriced by at least $10. Of course they get you with the mount because you also have to pay $5 for another character slot to get any real value from that mount. If you don't have an account bound mount and you never plan on getting one you can just create a new account if you want more than two characters.

I think a better idea would be to put some useful items in the store that were actually "Micro" transactions. Shoot for putting in things that are low priced and people would really want to use. Take the Health stone for instance. That is a very useful item but I am not paying $15 for it when I can get all my potions in game for no real money. If it were priced around $3 I would buy them and they would be the only health pot I used. For $15 they should have no CD or at least be on a different CD than regular pots. You could nickel and dime a fortune out of people if you sold useful items.

Once a player reaches 60 and has a bag, mount, and a stone there isn't much use for the Zen store. For leadership assets all you need are a few Man-at-arms and you can get them by praying and using white assets. I bought a Guardian pack to start out so that gave me a big jump. I do feel that the Guardian and Feywild pack are a "Value" but I do not think they are worth what they cost. They are only a value because of the overpriced items in the Zen store. One or the other is all that is needed though. There is absolutely no value in buying both (just epeen).

Edit... I changed my mind. I don't think little "Micro" transactions would help much because of the AD exchange. They would make no money from smaller transactions as long as that exists. If they could add useful, low priced items to the game as some sort of a "Cash only" bound item then they could pull in a few extra bucks by selling them.
  • Options
    karitrkaritr Member Posts: 662 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    hobokenboy wrote: »
    One zen = one penny. It's not the zen that is overpriced in my view, but the items they're charging the zen FOR.
    bioshrike wrote: »
    I'm with hobokenboy here - the Zen itself is fine. It's the prices for the items in the Zen store that are out of whack.

You two are really saying the same thing as the OP. The items you buy with Zen determines the 'value' of Zen. As most of the items in the cash shop are outrageously overpriced that does equate to Zen itself being of poor value (it has little buying power).

I said months ago I would happily purchase Zen if it had more buying power. As it doesn't, I have adapted to playing content that doesn't require me to have the best companion or a speedier mount than the one I can buy for gold in game. Fortunately this content has been created by player-authors, not Cryptic, so I don't feel as if I am leeching.
  • Options
    alantiaalantia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The price of Zen is a bit high. I hope it will come down in the future. On my budget I might buy more often if it were in smaller chunks. The new module I really want to purchase it, but the price is out of my budget this coming month. The price of that is equal to my water/sewer and gas bill for a month. I can't justify it. That said, these are things the people who control pricing should consider, as a consumer and gamer to me gaming should be one of the cheapest forms of entertainment. It should be affordable, especially since a large chunk of gamers are younger and may not have as much disposable income as a more established adult would.

Had the module started in September I would have had no problem forking over the cash, but my car insurance comes first.

Consider lowering prices for the long term health of the game and the folks loyal to this game won't let you down. IMOP.
    It is what it is:cool:
  • Options
    brendan03usbrendan03us Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Edit... I changed my mind. I don't think little "Micro" transactions would help much because of the AD exchange. They would make no money from smaller transactions as long as that exists. If they could add useful, low priced items to the game as some sort of a "Cash only" bound item then they could pull in a few extra bucks by selling them.

Right.

I think there could be more items priced at around 200, 300, 400 Zen. STO has that, and some of the other PWE games (the Chinese ones) have that, too. All of the games feature an exchange where players can, in effect, buy the in-game premium currency using RMT, so I suspect that's a pretty significant source of Zen sales for PWE and is unlikely to change.

The Zen store is not completely irrelevant at 60 for people who want to buy AD and gear up that way, which is apparently a legitimate approach per the game design (and likely nets quite a bit of Zen proceeds for PWE).
  • Options
    satanous1satanous1 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I find that prices are a bit on the high side. That said, I'd easily pay $30 a month on the game. It's just that I don't feel like even that would go very far.
  • Options
    trollgretrollgre Member Posts: 297
    edited July 2013
    mount = ok (account wide)
    bank slot = overpriced (bank is not account wide, diff character = diff bank)
    bag = overpriced
    companion = overpriced (bound to 1 character cant share to other characters)
    respec = ok its easy to farm 200k AD
  • Options
    fusedmassfusedmass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    trollgre wrote: »
    mount = ok (account wide)
    bank slot = overpriced (bank is not account wide, diff character = diff bank)
    bag = overpriced
    companion = overpriced (bound to 1 character cant share to other characters)
    respec = ok its easy to farm 200k AD

That is one of my biggest complaints. I know I said this before. I never seen a free to play game that intentionally leaves you with limited bag space. You have maybe two bags. In order to get a bag of greater holding. It cost 10.00 or a thousand zen.

This isn't account wide. It's just for one of people you play. The new healer companion to my understanding isn't account wide. You're paying 20 dollars for just one of your alt to hold the honor of having them. That's a tad excessive we have re-buy items, we already paid for just so an alt can have it.

All I'm saying is compared to most games and even free to play ones, the prices are a bit high. Of course if you had tons of money to spend on the game, it may not be a concern. What about the people that don't, they're at a massive disadvantage for bag space, respec talent points. Take into consideration, many bought Hero of North already spent 200 dollars.

It comes with a really fast mount for all alts and some stuff to help level up. It doesn't come with needed bag space. You'd have shell out some cash on Zen Store. I just feel like this game is making a ton of money. (Nothing wrong with that) how else would you explain the max zen they offered in one transaction was 50 dollars on day of release.

Then another option moved to 100 dollars, then 200. Clearly the system must be working. Yet I am concerned long term growth on the game. Will gamers who have the money now, become frustrated spending 50 dollars, getting so little in return. It's a shame because this game really looks nice, polished yet the prices might end up driving people away who otherwise might have played.

In a years time or two years. If you spent thousands of dollars, will you truly be happy or left with buyers remorse. My personal thought is, the prices are a bit high. If they were dropped. You would have more people buying things. More players.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    It's very aggressively priced when it comes to bags in particular, yes.

By comparison, in FW, another PWE game, you get 6 slots for the equivalent of 200 zen. Here the bags are 12 for 600 and 24 for 1000, whereas in FW the price scales down a bit more for volume buys, and for 24 slots it would likely cost about $4 less than in NW.

In STO, 12 slots costs 400 Zen, so more along the lines of FW than NW. FW and STO, however, are both 2010 games. I think what we are seeing in NW is premium pricing due to it being a new release.
  • Options
    veruganverugan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 100
    edited July 2013
    hobokenboy wrote: »
    One zen = one penny. It's not the zen that is overpriced in my view, but the items they're charging the zen FOR. I'm not paying $35 for a mount, even if it /is/ account wide.

$35, 3500 Zen, or around 1.2m AD. I'm halfway saved up for the Howler and this Gift of Tymora event is really helping.
This discussion has been closed.