test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why Neverwinter is failing.

Comments

• xenotorchxenotorch Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Have just done the Clock Tower quest in the graveyard and Wheels of Time on my 2nd character. Absolutely enjoyable stuff.
    There seems to be some great quests and scenes (even if the method is the same) in the earlier levels with some nicely thought out designs. Lets face it, plenty of old D&D style adventures out there to be mined. Could make some pretty decent storylines for the odd quest post lvl 60.

Each class/race could do with some sort of recurring enemy (other than Valindra the nutso lich) that gets away at the last minute all the way through the levels and you finally catch up to them post 60. You have the class specific quest at 59, why not an ongoing one??

This game has a lot going for it to a MMO **** like myself. But even I can see issues there that can trip it up. The developers need to be able to work on innovative stuff, and not be always hamstrung by the bottom-line sales/marketing/accounts departments!
    Cookie-cutter is not a long-term strategy, and I would like to be playing this game in a years time.

Apologies for the ramble!
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited July 2013
    TBH I stopped my WoW account because I got fed up with the raid mentality. I rather play with 5 of my closest friends than 25 people where you are just another faceless number.
  • cipher9nemocipher9nemo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    BOSs AI is non-existent in this game.

Not just the boss AI, but all AI. Pathing for all mobs, pets, etc. is horrid. I really hope they improve that, but I have a feeling they won't bother and just compensate by presenting us with zerg fests for challenge just like they did in STO.

On that note I am enjoying Neverwinter, but not as an MMO, as a UGC outlet. If I wanted to enjoy the MMO side I would already be disappointed.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
    Hammerfist Clan. Jump into the Night: NW-DMXWRYTAD
  • stringsestringse Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 63
    edited July 2013
    Hit 40...
    Got bored...
    Never came back...
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited July 2013
    I want to see PvP where one side you can play as the heroes you've seen in the introduction video and on the other side you play as Valindra's minions during the siege of Neverwinter.
    edited July 2013
    stringse wrote: »
    Hit 40...
    Got bored...
    Never came back...

Then why are you here in the forums ?
  • cipher9nemocipher9nemo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    stringse wrote: »
    Hit 40...
    Got bored...
    Never came back...

I guess he didn't finish that statement... "until now". ;)

So strings, why did the buy the HotN pack if you never want to go past 40? Or did you expect to be playing Neverwinter longer than that but got completely bored before endgame?
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
    Hammerfist Clan. Jump into the Night: NW-DMXWRYTAD
  • pelomixapelomixa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Neverwinter forums are great fun, in some cases more so than the game is to play. Its also nice to see how things progress. I don't blame him for continuing to read the forums, it allows him to keep up to date of whats really going on in the game, from the unbiased players perspective.
  • skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Failing my <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Played an epic session today game was packed had some good raids played some fun PvP matches. I think your getting your games mixed up Neverwinter Nights 2 was the fail one :P

You're getting your yours mixed up.
  • shakabrakabrashakabrakabra Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Neverwinter won't fail since the core of the game - the combat - is so good.

I have to disagree with you here.

Combat is super simplistic, boiling down to players mashing the same 3 buttons repeatedly, while strategy boils down to staying out of the red circles.

There's very little synergy among classes, very little call for teamwork (or a player base willing or capable of it), little in the way of class builds, not even a simple rock-scissor-paper mechanic. Just bash stuff until it's dead. Oh it's fun and fast-paced at first but gets mind-numbing very quickly.
  • bpphantombpphantom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I do generally like the quests and stories while leveling. I don't enjoy them enough to do them with 3, 4, 5... characters though. There's just not enough.
    - bpphantom

Grace, Tiefling Devoted Cleric

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman."
    edited July 2013
    I wasn't aware it was failing.

Failure by whose standards?

Are there signs that PW believes the game is failing?

Maybe the game is exactly what they expected it to be, and it is generating exactly the revenue they projected?

Maybe failure is subjective.....

who knows.
  • ruprect1ruprect1 Member Posts: 67
    edited July 2013
    skalt112 wrote: »
    I wasn't aware it was failing.

Failure by whose standards?

Are there signs that PW believes the game is failing?

Maybe the game is exactly what they expected it to be, and it is generating exactly the revenue they projected?

Maybe failure is subjective.....

who knows.

I can't think of a single game that did not have the traditional "Why is this game failing?" thread on the forums lol...EVER
    edited July 2013
    I actually liked Neverwinter's "simplistic" action oriented combat system with dodging, positioning and all that. I can't stand games that let's you stand there and press 1-2-3 anymore.
    edited July 2013
    I actually liked Neverwinter's "simplistic" action oriented combat system with dodging, positioning and all that. I can't stand games that let's you stand there and press 1-2-3 anymore.

This game is like 1-dodge-2- move- 3- dodge....I mean , not a whole lot different. it requires one more finger..
  • goddessuniquegoddessunique Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    skalt112 wrote: »
    This game is like 1-dodge-2- move- 3- dodge....I mean , not a whole lot different. it requires one more finger..

One more finger makes all the difference in the world lol:p
    Queen of Dragon Server
    Goddess Uniique, lvl 60 DC.
    PinkSugar, lvl 60 CW.
    Baby Cakes, lvl 60 GWF.
    *******, lvl 60 TR.
    Premium Juicebox, lvl 60 CW.
    Pink Exxxtacy, Ranger

There is NO pvp in Neverwinter.
    edited July 2013
    One more finger makes all the difference in the world lol:p

It would seem that way.
  • nikitaoznikitaoz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    On topic of NW never failing because combat is good.
    Tera produces nice fast-pacing combat too but not doing very well tbh.
    And I have never seen a more exciting combat system than in Vindictus. Laugh at me all you want. But that game is roaring and ready to go even higher.
  • cinj216cinj216 Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    nikitaoz wrote: »
    Vindictus

lol Nexon

That's all that needs to be said.
  • ghostravynghostravyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 59
    edited July 2013
    There are more people and more instances of areas opened up on my server than there were when I started playing.

Maybe you failed Neverwinter?

1. End game content is our current hard dungeons. More end game content is being released maybe two whole months after the game went live.

2. PVP is a grueling, deadly bloodfest. It has its issues, but most of those issues are social issues and have nothing to do with the game.

3. Lateral Progression? Crafted Gear, T1, T2, PVP, GG PVP, Seals armor ... how is this NOT lateral progression?

I have seen games where the "people" were given what they wanted and it ruined the game. Sometimes the "people" aren't as smart as they think they are.
    Corrupted Souls, Mindflayer server
    uKc2R.gif
  • nick1sternnick1stern Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 330 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    abramerlin wrote: »

OK that's my "Start" for suggestions, I'm sure there are heaps more that other people would recommend

Nice List Great to see some real thought put into constructive critisism and Ideas.
  • mytgroomytgroo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 165 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Neverwinter is not failing it is growing. It is growing so fast that there is lag on the servers. It is growing so fast that it is hard for the team to take care of the exploits. It is fun to play. There is a lot of content. It is put out faster than they can test it. My feeling is that the developers throw out what they consider is the minimally viable game, then ask people to tweak it constantly. There is constant new content in the Foundry.

Now if they only let us have ridiculous things like riding roosters, swords of doom, purple hats, and made it easier to get armor sets like the Bulwark set I might be happy.
  • vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Why Neverwiter is failing?

1. its not failing, It is making good money, the forums are active, rp is active, queues are active, Griefers are active. (griefers are often the first to flee a sinking ship) bots are active (Ironically).... and posts like this don't help because you got people whining about what is wrong and not giving suggestions on how things can be improved.

PVP: its simple and they are expanding it slowly which is annoying the attention deficit kids who are used to either PVP devoted games or games that have been out for years. user created pvp maps is a good idea for this.

end game: also being released slowly the problem is thanks to some games people seem to think its a good idea to speed to the end of a game at break neck speed for some sort of uber end game. but most games that have an uber end game didn't start with one it developed over years of expansions. making the leveling content more repeatable is your best shot here.

Leveling: most people have one character speeding through the levels maybe even bypassing content all together thanks to invoking dropping so much xp, invoking xp should be less or drop in the forms of xp(rested scrolls) ad xp missions in leadership should not be mixed in with boxes or astral diamonds.

Teaming: id like to see a side kicking system some way to do skirmishes that were out-leveled ect that way people can team through the main game without having to keep perfectly coordinated with their friends. to make leveling as rewarding as end game.

Achievements: One issue is a lot of the cool achievement titles require the dungeon a skirmish AND the maps of a zone this may make people feel the need to do ALL maps on every character or just not do any maps out of frustration. Achievements should be carrots to do non-standard things. we have skirmisher and dungeon based achievements already. the cool achievements should be given for doing things that are not on the standard sparkle trail. like getting the flowers and gems in cloak tower. and make most map titles Hero or protector of <zone name> so we wont feel such a need to do them ALL. more titles in general will also help.

Gear: We could use more unique looking gear, or more ways to slightly customize stats so that it has the types people want and less "trash stats".

Builds/Bosses: seems to me everyone in this game is a bit over focused on dps and crits even the support control and tanks. this may point out there is a hole in "Roles" instead of making difficulty based on ..."More adds" it would be nice to see situations that relied a bit more on clever buffing, tanking or holds. this is one reason people seem to be breaking the bosses dragging them into pits and geometry. people want strategy. Id like to see a boss you were supposed to drag into a pit.

Nerfing: everyone seems to love to say X is OP nerf Y. the problem is when you do nerf it you got them complaining they are unplayable. When your planning on "nerfing" a class check out the build guides. take all the "OMG you MUST take this power" nerf those then take all the "This power is completely worthless powers" and buff them. that way no one is really nerfed they just need to explore different power combos and hope fully you end up with more than one viable build.
  • hmmrsmshfacehmmrsmshface Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    Yup, it's an hour of boring toss, followed by half an hour of frenzied dungeonrunning, to get as many coins as possible, to minimise how many more times that player will need to come back.

Hell, when I wanted a t2 PvP weapon for an alt, it was nicer to run dungeons, sell the drops and buy the (very decent) GG weapon.

I agree 100%, and I would be able to deal with the of GG if it wasn't for the fact that at the end of it you get to...RUN THROUGH A 1 BOSS DUNGEON for...GEAR THAT IS WORSE THAN OR EQUAL TO WHAT YOU ALREADY HAVE?!?!
  • hmmrsmshfacehmmrsmshface Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    To put the problems of Neverwinter simply:

The games incentivizes quick farming over any type of other play. Long tedious dungeons at T2 that provide no sense of adventure other than zerg attacks, with high hit point mobs.

D&D is supposed to be a role-playing game! There is little to no roleplaying going on.

The game is Cookie Cutter. Players are cookie cutter, builds are cookie cutter, appearance is cookie cutter. A few builds are extrremely overpowered and unbalanced, especially in PvP. While others are not really viable at all. Nothing epitomizes this more than the CW feat: Unrestrained Chaos: This power triggers on a Daily Power. It gives a chance, a chance mind you that is not conveyed in the tool tip, so it could be a 1% chance 20% chance, it is unknown to grant a stack of arcane mastery or chill for 1/2/3/4/5 secs. Are you kidding me? Is there a more worthless feat in all of Neverwinter? After activating a marginal daily (which is very situational) I can get a small chance to give myself an arcane stack up to 5 seconds? This just goes to show you why this game has serious problems. With so little thought put into important character choices, you should have called the feat: "Worthless and ill-defined feat that makes you spend money to respec if you were fool enough to choose it". I honestly beleive that Cryptic has purposely put unviable and poorly defined information (powers/feats) so that the user is uninformed for the entire purpose of gaining money by incentivizing you to spend money on respecs.

This should be valid counter measures for every build/tactic strategy. e.g perma stealth TRs that can't be targeted, unstealthed, or held, or permently unstoppable characters make it no fun for many. 3 GFs with high level gear and enchants will totaly dominate a PvP match unless they go against an almost identical team. When they can do 5000 k non daily attacks and have huge HP and armor who else can do anything to stop it? When Glory is largely determined by kills, doesn't really help the support non-dps classes with low armor class now does it? High level enchants facing newbies with low gear or low $ end up being humilated is not fun which in turn will drive them away. Futility will always kill participation and involvement. Game balance has not even been closed to be achieved.

There is no compelling reason to do T1 content other than to obtain transitionary gear. After that it is dead wood. It seems like a majority of the dungeons are recycled content with the mobs hit points and numbers and abilities being inflated.

Total lack of meaningful communication from developers other than the "we are looking into it" or thanks for the suggestions. No acknowledgement of bugs, bug fixes, and a great deal of bugs for a released game.

There was some nice content and story lines during the 1-60, but this goes entirely too fast and the game actualy forces you to miss content, and re-playability is next to nill since there basicaly is one linear path for everyone.

The only thing that will save this game is the foundry, but there is very little money to be made for foundry missions.

Lastly, nothing is more frustrating or more damaging to the long term health of the game than the dungeon/pvp quitters than can take an hour or two of enjoyment and just destroy it because someone quits or becomes disconnected rendering the whole adventure impossible. Content that cannot tolerate 1 person leaving, or not having the perfect gear, or allow a learning curve is just poor game design. How fun is it to join a PVP match and after 3 minutes 2 people quit? How fun is it for the DC to quit at before even reaching the final boss? That 2 hour dungeon run which comprises the limited available time to a working parent has just been wasted and all they have to show for it is a bunch of green trash itmes that are not even worth the identify scroll costs.

All this does is encourage people not to make friends but to create exculsionary groups and punishes players that do not have experience or great skills and they will not get the opportunity to improve them because they will be excluded.

Yes I agree w/ goddessunique, well said sir.
  • ruprect1ruprect1 Member Posts: 67
    edited July 2013
    Another reason this game is a failure. The dungeons are <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. I queue'd for 4 dungeons tonight. 1st one got a group party wipes on first trash mob LOL, 2 people quit dungeon run 1 over. 2nd attempt at the same t2 epic dungeon, we get to the first boss wipe once, we give it another try and win. get halfway to second boss and someone quits. 3rd attempt, we get to first boss and wipe once, one person quits and the run is over. 4th run, we make six attempts at the first boss and wipe everytime, everyone gives up. This is like 3 wasted hours because every trash mob in these dungeons takes forever to beat. The first boss in this dungeon is near impossible, there are so many adds at times the ground is so covered in red you have no choice but to get hit for like 3/4 of your hp's.

Unfortunately this has been my experience leveling 2 char's to max level and then running epics. about 50 attempts at dungeons and maybe 5 completions. It is a waste of a whole night of playing to fail over and over again at these long drawn out wastes of time. HOW IS THIS FUN!? The worst part is there is nothing else to do but keep trying to run these horrible epic dungeons now because the leveling process is so abysmal that I will not even try to level another char.
  • wingofbenuwingofbenu Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have to disagree with you here.

Combat is super simplistic, boiling down to players mashing the same 3 buttons repeatedly, while strategy boils down to staying out of the red circles.

There's very little synergy among classes, very little call for teamwork (or a player base willing or capable of it), little in the way of class builds, not even a simple rock-scissor-paper mechanic. Just bash stuff until it's dead. Oh it's fun and fast-paced at first but gets mind-numbing very quickly.

this. Neverwinter com,bat is fun so long as you never ever ever examine it.
  • phraqphraq Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I dont think this game is failing, as for myself though I stopped playing but I think its because the current classes don't interest me and something about the questing just makes it feel repetitive, but thats just my opinion. I wish they had a archer class which I have been saying since back in open beta. I try to get into playing a cleric and just couldnt same with rogue and while I did enjoy GWF even that didn't keep me in.

as for failing though I don't think its failing yet because there is good like the foundry and the combat system is nice just for me only gets me so far.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zephyrlizephyrli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    What would make things better for you? :)

more pvp modes? restrict mount usage in pvp. add capture the flag/flag run modes. Push mode or sequential point capture mode with an attacker/defender style. Gauntlgrym pvp needs a serious rethink. It's just a cluster**** right now and barely worth playing. PvP needs more objectives than stand here and cap this again and again. There's no strategy, rarely ever any teamwork. MY understanding was GG was going to be a guild only event, ie 20 man premades vs 20 man premades. THAT is what is needed, to give guilds some kind of relevance in this game. Pretty much everything in GG is one big PUG nightmare.

the biggest thing that would make this game more worth playing is if you stop with the broad spectrum nerfs. Make a different rule set for skills in PvP and PvE. Nerf rogues to hell in PvP for all I care but your decision makers have gone too far with rogue and its not not worth playing for most people.
  • zephyrlizephyrli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ruprect1 wrote: »
    Another reason this game is a failure. The dungeons are <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. I queue'd for 4 dungeons tonight. 1st one got a group party wipes on first trash mob LOL, 2 people quit dungeon run 1 over. 2nd attempt at the same t2 epic dungeon, we get to the first boss wipe once, we give it another try and win. get halfway to second boss and someone quits. 3rd attempt, we get to first boss and wipe once, one person quits and the run is over. 4th run, we make six attempts at the first boss and wipe everytime, everyone gives up. This is like 3 wasted hours because every trash mob in these dungeons takes forever to beat. The first boss in this dungeon is near impossible, there are so many adds at times the ground is so covered in red you have no choice but to get hit for like 3/4 of your hp's.

Unfortunately this has been my experience leveling 2 char's to max level and then running epics. about 50 attempts at dungeons and maybe 5 completions. It is a waste of a whole night of playing to fail over and over again at these long drawn out wastes of time. HOW IS THIS FUN!? The worst part is there is nothing else to do but keep trying to run these horrible epic dungeons now because the leveling process is so abysmal that I will not even try to level another char.

Epics are not for casual players anymore. They are doable but you need a fully competent team to do it, no weak links. Everyone needs to know their role and perform it well. If you cant handle that then go play T1s until youre good enough to handle T2. Any map ive seen where the rate of ads is overwhelming is usually a map where mobs can be pushed such as Spellplague. IF you get stuck with a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> wizard or a DC who refuses to help with pushing then you WILL be overrun pretty quickly. Plan your team more effectively and it will pay off. T2s are still doable.